PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D Line after '09...Time to play GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say we draft seymours replacement and re-up on wilfork, the guy is a once in a generation 3-4 nose tackle

I think Seymour is more likely to stay. Both will command top money, but I believe it's Wilfork that will squeeze as much money as he can. Seymour will want something that's fair, while Wilfork will take the highest offer. Every Wilfork interview/article I've read always mentions his wife as someone who is the strongest influence in his decision making. Of course wives should be a strong influence in every decision in a marriage, but the articles go out of their way to mention Wilfork's wife. Which leads me to believe that his wife will put their family first and will want what is best for their family (meaning the most money). Can't fault her though but it leads me to think that he's as good as gone. Also, Wilfork and his wife are from Miami and he's close to his family so I think they would rather be closer to their extended family than be up here.

I think Seymour is more likely to stay. Both will command top money, but I believe it's Wilfork that will squeeze as much money as he can. Seymour will want something that's fair, while Wilfork will take the highest offer. Every Wilfork interview/article I've read always mentions his wife as someone who is the strongest influence in his decision making. Of course wives should be a strong influence in every decision in a marriage, but the articles go out of their way to mention Wilfork's wife. Which leads me to believe that his wife will put their family first and will want what is best for their family (meaning the most money). Can't fault her though but it leads me to think that he's as good as gone. Also, Wilfork and his wife are from Miami and he's close to his family so I think they would rather be closer to their extended family than be up here.

If Wilfork's wife is the one making the decision, then he's more likely to stay, because they've both made it a point to plant deep roots here. Go do some reading about them before you make pronouncements like that, because it doesn't serve anyone to make unfounded statements.

If Wilfork's wife is the one making the decision, then he's more likely to stay, because they've both made it a point to plant deep roots here. Go do some reading about them before you make pronouncements like that, because it doesn't serve anyone to make unfounded statements.

Did you not understand what I wrote? I said from reading articles about Vince it shows that his wife is actively involved in a lot of decision makings regarding Vince and their family. Are you married? Because I am and I know that my wife always wants what is best for my family and from talking to all the other husbands that I know, their wives are also saying the same thing. And I guarantee you that most wives would want the best FINANCIAL situation for their family. Of course there are other factors like if Vince grew up here in NE and his family was here. But guess what? Vince came from South Florida and his offseason home is in Florida along with his entire family and his wife's family. Here read this article Wife Bianca makes Patriots' Vince Wilfork a balanced lineman - The Boston Globe it shows how she takes care of everything off the field for him. Is it far fetched for someone to think that she would want for him and his family to take the highest offer? LOL, dude, you need a reality check. And WTF are you talking about him planting deep roots here? He's been here for only 4 years! THat's more a dumb pronouncement than you think the one I made. Me thinking that Wilfork will take the highest bidder is a theory. And it's a pretty good one.

Last edited:
I agree with this.

I believe that the top priorities for the next draft are safety and defensive end.

Playing GM, I would negotiate with everyone but Warren. I would expect to be successful with Wilfork and Green.

WILFORK
Pay him whatever it takes to extend him. A worse case is that he is franchised in 2010.

SEYMOUR
I think that he's gone after 2009.

WARREN
He's ours through 2013.

GREEN
I think that he'll stay. The patriots have always paid him starter money. Extending him makes a lot sense. He can start at DE in 2010 if we don't find a top rookie, or he can have his present role.

WRIGHT
Someone will pay him starter money, not us.

SMITH
He's ours for awhile as an ERFA and then an RFA.

I say we draft seymours replacement and re-up on wilfork, the guy is a once in a generation 3-4 nose tackle

Did you not understand what I wrote? I said from reading articles about Vince it shows that his wife is actively involved in a lot of decision makings regarding Vince and their family. Are you married? Because I am and I know that my wife always wants what is best for my family and from talking to all the other husbands that I know, their wives are also saying the same thing. And I guarantee you that most wives would want the best FINANCIAL situation for their family. Of course there are other factors like if Vince grew up here in NE and his family was here. But guess what? Vince came from South Florida and his offseason home is in Florida along with his entire family and his wife's family. Here read this article Wife Bianca makes Patriots' Vince Wilfork a balanced lineman - The Boston Globe it shows how she takes care of everything off the field for him. Is it far fetched for someone to think that she would want for him and his family to take the highest offer? LOL, dude, you need a reality check. And WTF are you talking about him planting deep roots here? He's been here for only 4 years! THat's more a dumb pronouncement than you think the one I made. Me thinking that Wilfork will take the highest bidder is a theory. And it's a pretty good one.

Actually, it's a totally crappy one, if you had bothered to read and comprehend my post. Instead of just coming up with something based on your view of the world (i.e., that everyone is a money-grubbing loser and cares for nothing but income when deciding what makes them happy), and cherry picking an article (that I'm already familiar with) that doesn't really speak to your 'theory' one way or another but instead comments on how Vince's wife acts as a sort of de facto manager, take the time to actually read from multiple sources. Here's a good one:

Vince Wilfork Quotes Page - USATODAY.com

Here's another:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive Wilfork wants to end career as a Patriot

Hmm, looks to me like Wilfork is saying he wants to stay and retire as a Patriot, and do whatever he can to make that happen.

And hey, what about all his local charity work, like when he partnered up with Bernie and Phyl's?

Bernie & Phyl's Furniture - Community News and Events - Part 2

Not to mention his local fundraisers for diabetes research and his fundraising the Children’s Hospital Boston. Wow, ties to the community, amazing! Things that his wife helped organize for him, locally no less! Clearly though, she'll be pushing him to take an offer from the highest bidder, seeing as how you can read her mind and divine her thought processes, not to mention your intense familiarity with their decision making process as a couple. Truly, your insight awes me.

Actually, it's a totally crappy one, if you had bothered to read and comprehend my post. Instead of just coming up with something based on your view of the world (i.e., that everyone is a money-grubbing loser and cares for nothing but income when deciding what makes them happy), and cherry picking an article (that I'm already familiar with) that doesn't really speak to your 'theory' one way or another but instead comments on how Vince's wife acts as a sort of de facto manager, take the time to actually read from multiple sources. Here's a good one:

Vince Wilfork Quotes Page - USATODAY.com

Here's another:

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Point After Blog Archive Wilfork wants to end career as a Patriot

Hmm, looks to me like Wilfork is saying he wants to stay and retire as a Patriot, and do whatever he can to make that happen.

And hey, what about all his local charity work, like when he partnered up with Bernie and Phyl's?

Bernie & Phyl's Furniture - Community News and Events - Part 2

Not to mention his local fundraisers for diabetes research and his fundraising the Children’s Hospital Boston. Wow, ties to the community, amazing! Things that his wife helped organize for him, locally no less! Clearly though, she'll be pushing him to take an offer from the highest bidder, seeing as how you can read her mind and divine her thought processes, not to mention your intense familiarity with their decision making process as a couple. Truly, your insight awes me.

LOL. Of course he's gonna say he wants to end his career as a Patriot. Every FA that has left has said the same thing. LOL. If you believe him, that's your fault for being naive. Also, the Pats along with probably all sports organization encourages players to get involve with the community. And Vince, from what I've read, is a good guy and is charitable. Whether he was drafted here or in Buffalo, he was going to get involved in the community.

That being said, if you don't think money is the number 1 issue with these players, then you are dreaming. It's a profession and the main reason they play is because to get paid. Yeah, it's a sport and they love to play, but bottom line is that it is a business. Players may take a little less to come here or stay here, but how much less? Moss gave up a couple of million to stay here, but he's getting $21 million guaranteed as opposed to $23 mil? You don't think that if another team out there said we'll give you $30 mil he'd have stayed here? You are dreaming man.

Look at the FAs that have left. Ty Law, Givens, Asante, Gay, Woody, Graham, etc. At some point, those guys said they wanted to end their careers as Patriots, but they eventually left because the difference between what the Pats offered and what other teams offered was too much to pass up. You may want to believe them that the number one priority for them is to win, but anyone who doesn't believe that it's always about money is not living in reality.

So getting back to my theory, both Seymour and Wilfork will command top money and I believe Seymour is more likely to accept a "fair" offer while Wilfork will take the highest bidder.

Last edited:
My read on Seymour is this....He enjoys the national spotlight. He has been setting up a post football career path by guesting on national football shows any chance he gets. When his contract ends, I expect his decision will be based on money and which team has the most national appeal. It would be difficult to leave a Tom Brady lead team...but teams like the Giants and Cowboys are always in primetime no matter how they play.
And will BB want him back, considering he will have 9 years of pro ball under his belt. I just don't see BB forking over a $30 million bonus to a guy with considerable mileage. Franchising seems the best course for the Patriots, but it will get ugly. JMO

Did you not understand what I wrote? I said from reading articles about Vince it shows that his wife is actively involved in a lot of decision makings regarding Vince and their family. Are you married? Because I am and I know that my wife always wants what is best for my family and from talking to all the other husbands that I know, their wives are also saying the same thing. And I guarantee you that most wives would want the best FINANCIAL situation for their family.... Me thinking that Wilfork will take the highest bidder is a theory. And it's a pretty good one.

You're projecting your experience and values.
There are other married folks with very strong willed spouses who don't just chase the last dollar in career decisions. Folks with FAR less disposable income than the Wilforks.

There are other married folks with very strong willed spouses who don't just chase the last dollar in career decisions. Folks with FAR less disposable income than the Wilforks.

Exactly. Look at Tedy Bruschi - he could have left for more money, and stayed because he wanted to be here. It got to the point that he said to himself, "I've got millions already, how much more do I need?" And the answer was the millions he had already made and would continue to make were enough for him, he didn't need to go after every last dollar. It's just that stories like his don't get publicized as much as the guys that chase the money. Contrary to the premise he's basing his argument on for Wilfork leaving for maximum coin (which the Patriots might pay anyway), people can forsake dollars for comfort, and not every guy says, "I want to finish my career here", especially not in the way Wilfork did.

Bruschi is notable because he is the exception.

I believe that we should be making Wilfork the highest paid DT or NT in the NFL. He is the heart of our 3-4 two-gap defense. It is essential to have a top NT to run top level 3-4. As another posted, Wilfork is a once in a decade player.

I don't expect Wilfork will be asked to give Pees a discount to play for his defense.

Exactly. Look at Tedy Bruschi - he could have left for more money, and stayed because he wanted to be here. It got to the point that he said to himself, "I've got millions already, how much more do I need?" And the answer was the millions he had already made and would continue to make were enough for him, he didn't need to go after every last dollar. It's just that stories like his don't get publicized as much as the guys that chase the money. Contrary to the premise he's basing his argument on for Wilfork leaving for maximum coin (which the Patriots might pay anyway), people can forsake dollars for comfort, and not every guy says, "I want to finish my career here", especially not in the way Wilfork did.

Bruschi is notable because he is the exception.

I believe that we should be making Wilfork the highest paid DT or NT in the NFL. He is the heart of our 3-4 two-gap defense. It is essential to have a top NT to run top level 3-4. As another posted, Wilfork is a once in a decade player.

I don't expect Wilfork will be asked to give Pees a discount to play for his defense.

I'm not saying don't pay him, because I believe the Pats will put a higher value on him than just about any other player on the team not named Brady, just that I don't think he's going to chase every last dollar. If the difference in dollars is a million or two over the life of the contract, I doubt he jumps at it.

I agree that Wilfork will not jump because a perceived couple million in total contract value.

I'm not saying don't pay him, because I believe the Pats will put a higher value on him than just about any other player on the team not named Brady, just that I don't think he's going to chase every last dollar. If the difference in dollars is a million or two over the life of the contract, I doubt he jumps at it.

Like I posted, if the difference between what the Pats will offer and what other teams will offer is too much, then I expect Vince/Seymour or any other UFA to be gone.

In Bob Ryan's article in the Sunday Globe he stated that the Pats have the 29th highest payroll this year. If that's true it makes you wonder what the F is going on here. We should be going for it every year while Brady is still in his prime.

that is based on the fact that the pats limited their FA activity this past offseason, so bonus payouts were low.......

the pats will likely extend seymour and wilfork, dump green (he's been a non-factor this year) and draft a replacement like clinton mcdonald from memphis who is similar to green (6'3"/285 and can run a 4.7/40) or a guy like alex magee from purdue or will johnson from michigan both of whom are more like mike wright or better still, aaron smith of the steelers

I would not be suprised to see mike wright back here next year.....he's actually been more useful than green

And I guarantee you that most wives would want the best FINANCIAL situation for their family.

Not necessarily as the top priority. Men are more ambitious and ego-driven than women are, if we are to generalize that broadly. And Wilfork's wife is worried about things like him having an unhealthy lifestyle and dying young.

We have bingo.

Not necessarily as the top priority. Men are more ambitious and ego-driven than women are, if we are to generalize that broadly. And Wilfork's wife is worried about things like him having an unhealthy lifestyle and dying young.

Totally correct priorities. High blood pressure and cholesterol leading to cardiac issues and failure is prevalent among males with excess melanin. Good for her.

I suspect that Seymour will retire as a patriot, and Wilfork will continue to be a patriot.. Green will be replaced, Wright will continue..

I have thought from the beginning of the season that the Pats will draft a DL with their first pick in '09 (obviously depending on whether there is anyone who is good enough available there - a good 300LB DE or 330DT are hard to come by).
Take this with a grain of salt - A good team can draft a season or two ahead of their needs, i.e. Meriweather. A more desperate team has to draft on urgent needs, i.e. Mayo (and now UFA Guyton). I would hope that given the current situation, an early DL pick would pay HUGE dividends for this team 2-7 years down the road.
Everyone always brags about our Dline being the staple of our defense, but when do we reload? Do we wait until it is as much of a need as LB was this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back