PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut Caldwell. He can't catch a cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give him a regular season game, if he drops passes he isnt good. But so far I am not goign to call him terrible. He is been playing rather mediocore but preseason game after preseason game he has gotten a little better each game. He made a few good catches from Cassel.

old 55 said:
BTW - how many expected Lawyer Milloy to be cut? Would I have received the same response "rediculous" "USELESS" etc. if I suggested that Milloy was going to be cut by BB? I understand that salary was an issue then, but it certainly wasn't the prevailing thinking back then that Milloy would be cut.

Dude, you have an arguable point, I guess, but THIS AIN'T IT. Milloy was a shocking cut but that had to do with a cap-related situation we didn't really know about until it happened. Also, that was long ago and, along with other popular vet defections, helped establish a culture that we are all FAR more aware of here.

Meanwhile, not sure why YOU are misspelling "ridiculous" - to suggest that my post did and somehow have that reflect poorly on my intellect, I assume - but if you care to look back at it, I didn't spell it wrong. You did, though. Nice work.

old55, I agree with you completely with Caldwell as just a 4th receiver. He doesn't catch balls properly by extending his hands, and he doesn't seem like a great route runner. He is a receiver with a low 'completions per balls thrown at him' percentage.

Ignore patsox23, lately I think he has been blowing up posters with disproportionate responses. As for DaBruinz, he was a strong defendant of the Monty Beisel experiment, and we all know how that turned out later (Beisel demoted to special teams).

old 55 said:
I guess I should just post a rah-rah thread about how great we are and how many games were going to win since it's clear that an opinion that doesn't agree with the generally prevailing thinking isn't welcome anymore.

You know what we REALLY need less of here - straw-man arguments like this one. I have no problem with critical posts. I contribute them frequently here. But this thread is an overreaction and it posits something that can't possibly happen. Do you honestly deny this?

Just what we need to lose another WR. At this point Id take FN Koren Robinson. If anyone could get that kid straight its BB!!!

Lets get Branch on the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going through real fast, I count 8 passes to Caldwell. He caught 3 of them. It looks like he played at least into the 4th quarter.

I think the guy is terrible; always have.

Can't believe BB is wasting his time with him. Looks like Bam played in the 4th quarter and made two catches on two passes. He's money.

maverick4 said:
old55, I agree with you completely with Caldwell as just a 4th receiver. He doesn't catch balls properly by extending his hands, and he doesn't seem like a great route runner. He is a receiver with a low 'completions per balls thrown at him' percentage.

Ignore patsox23, lately I think he has been blowing up posters with disproportionate responses. As for DaBruinz, he was a strong defendant of the Monty Beisel experiment, and we all know how that turned out later (Beisel demoted to special teams).

Maverick, if I'm being kunty lately, I apologize. Perhaps I'm misreading this thread, but if it were simply calling on Caldwell to be demoted, I would be fine with it. But does anyone honestly believe that the Patriots are going to cut one of TWO NFL WRs we have willing to play right now? No. NO ONE does, not even the originator of this thread.

My frustration lately lies with the proponderance of posters dragging down the quality of the site with ludicrous suggestions like this one about CUTTING Reche Caldwell. It's silly. It's unworthy of patsfans.com. And it's been a HORRIBLE off-season full of these bottom-drawer excursions.

patsox23 said:
Maverick, if I'm being kunty lately, I apologize. Perhaps I'm misreading this thread, but if it were simply calling on Caldwell to be demoted, I would be fine with it. But does anyone honestly believe that the Patriots are going to cut one of TWO NFL WRs we have willing to play right now? No. NO ONE does, not even the originator of this thread.

My frustration lately lies with the proponderance of posters dragging down the quality of the site with ludicrous suggestions like this one about CUTTING Reche Caldwell. It's silly. It's unworthy of patsfans.com. And it's been a HORRIBLE off-season full of these bottom-drawer excursions.

Point taken. I too would like to see the board retain it's usual high quality of posts. It has been a problem lately no doubt, but I think the OP is far from being the worst offender. The problem is mostly from many recent, young bandwagon fans who post like they're in high school (which they probably are).

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
Point taken. I too would like to see the board retain it's usual high quality of posts. It has been a problem lately no doubt, but I think the OP is far from being the worst offender. The problem is mostly from many recent, young bandwagon fans who post like they're in high school (which they probably are).

I agree, and I regret taking on OP, he's a good fan and poster, this thread not withstanding. If the Patriots had Branch and Jackson as sure things, then I might be willing to concede ground. But the idea that we are in any position to CUT Reche Caldwell is patently ridiculous, and it's an example of what has become worse and worse about this site - a site that I still have hope for.

Ian is great, and a lot of the regulars are great. But brain-dead non-starter threads just sap my patience, sometimes with regrettable speed.

PatsFan37 said:
Was he getting any separation? Was he reading the coverages the same as Brady? Was he pissing off his QB?

Maybe there was a reason Brady threw only to TEs, RBs, and Troy Brown. I'm betting Childress and Brown start against Buffalo.

Not much separation, no. He was well covered on an overthrown bomb. He had a defender near when he dropped the short pass. He did have a play IIRC where he didn't make the catch but there was a penalty on a defender.

If he's been the star of training camp, maybe the law of averages will kick in and Reche will mix in some good games soon.

RayClay said:
And this newbie crap is incredibly lame. What is this third grade?

I agree. If you have a valid point, state it. Attacking someone by calling them a newbie reflects more on the poster who said it. It also adds nothing to the discussion.

Simply put, Reche is ****tee...does not belong on this team... get rid of him now before the regular season begins.

While I can't see him being cut, that's only because of the lack of bodies currently available for the WR position. He has been pretty awful so far. Brady doesn't need the fastest WRs on the planet - he needs guys who run crisp routes and catch everything thrown near them. I can't comment on Caldwell's route-running, but he really appears to have hands of stone. So far.

If we resign Branch, get Jackson back on the field, and pick up a decent receiver after the next round of cuts, Caldwell could get pushed way down the list in the WR depth chart. That's a lot of if's, for sure, so for now he's pretty safe. But I'd sure like to see something from him in the last preseason game.

patsox23 said:
I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say, "OH, NEWBIE, WOULD YOU F-ING RELAX?"

But his deal thing says "Senior Member",Doesnt that mean he is supposed to know what he is talking about? ::Grin:::

I too agree to cut him is simply insane and will not happen.. He doesn't look good out on the field..and I think it's more mental than physical..might be thinking about things too much..that's certrainly possible.. Why does he look so great in practice and so poor in the games?? He has done better so there is improvement..but it is far from what he does in practice. I would give him some time and get him into the game slowly. It hasn't been that he's been open a lot; on the throws to him, he has been covered. I think in time he will get accustomed to Brady and be fine. Right now, he's thrown into the spotlight a lot quicker than I think anyone wished for. No Branch, no Jackson...be a bit patient.

Last edited by a moderator:
RayClay said:
Hey Old 55, I've got a question for you. Eagles or Tom Waits?

My name actually refers to my number on my hockey team and the fact that I'm not a youngster. No reference to the Tom Waits song that the Eagles covered on their ON THE BORDER album.

I'm surprised that a trade hasn't been made before now to

obtain a serviceable wide receiver. There must be some team

out there that has too many. If we wait for a waiver wire player,

there will be no time for Brady to get his timing down pat with

the new player.

I wish people would calm down about Cladwell. He has had a few drops. Big deal. It is pre-season and he is coming off of injury and learning a new system. Besides, he's caught more than he has dropped. I think he'll be fine once he gets more practice/playing time. I look forward to him being a big part of the offense, regardless of whether Deion comes back or not.

Pats726 said:
I too agree to cut him is simply insane and will not happen.. He doesn't look good out on the field..and I think it's more mental than physical..might be thinking about things too much..that's certrainly possible.. Why does he look so great in practice and so poor in the games?? He has done better so there is improvement..but it is far from what he does in practice. I would give him some time and get him into the game slowly. It hasn't been that he's been open a lot; on the throws to him, he has been covered. I think in time he will get accustomed to Brady and be fine. Right now, he's thrown into the spotlight a lot quicker than I think anyone wished for. No Branch, no Jackson...be a bit patient.

He cant get open in the game. During practice nobody is covering you. Also it looks to me that he hears footsteps. He is horrible.

patsox23 said:
I could not agree more. Its just a ridiculous notion that the player would be cut. There's no value in these knee-jerk threads, they have cluttered up this board in unimagineable fashion, and ps23 makes a legit point, as usual. I'm just disappointed in the number of other posters who rush to condemn him for making it. Over-sensitive people that only enable the downward descent of the discussion here.

Somebody that's been watching football for 30 years and following these Patriots this decade ought to know that decisions are not made in this hysterical, knee-jerk fashion, because the league's rosters would ultimately be littered with useful players that you cut in a fit of pique. An experienced observer might note that Caldwell has done very little with his opportunity so far, and question whether he'll really help the Patriots at all, and there could be no argument to that. However, stamping our angry little feet demanding instantaneous cuts really SHOULD invite the scorn of others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes