PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut Caldwell. He can't catch a cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.

old 55

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Time to face facts. Caldwell is a bust. He can't catch. He cuts off routes too early. He hears footsteps.

I say cut him and pick up some other teams cast offs until Jackson is ready to step it up. I do expect Branch to return some time after the September 1st deadline.

I would keep Branch, Jackson, Brown & Childress with Andrews as a WR/DB/ST. Again, I would look for a cast off from another team that's deep with WRs to add one more.

I've already been slammed in another post for suggesting this, but I have seen all three preseason games and he has looked really bad. I don't think it does us any good to deny the truth. We need to move on and call this a bad signing.

I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say, "OH, NEWBIE, WOULD YOU F-ING RELAX?"

I'm giving Reche CantCatchWell one more game before I make judgement.

Last edited:
He had what two balls thrown at him? Three tops?

The guy is not a number 1 or even a number 2 WR. He hasn't looked good because he is being put in the position where he has to be one. If he is able to be a number 3 or number 4 I think he would be a nice asset.

Last edited by a moderator:
patsox23 said:
I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say, "OH, NEWBIE, WOULD YOU F-ING RELAX?"
i like it, shut up newbie

Was he getting any separation? Was he reading the coverages the same as Brady? Was he pissing off his QB?

Maybe there was a reason Brady threw only to TEs, RBs, and Troy Brown. I'm betting Childress and Brown start against Buffalo.

patsox23 said:

NEWBIE? Just because I don't post every single day of the year, doesn't mean I'm not following the Pats as closely as you or anyone else. I've been following the Pats since 1970. I've been posting on this board and its prior versions for many, many years.

I'm speaking for myself when I say what I say and if you don't agree, come up with a logical response. Telling me to "f-ing relax" isn't adding any value to the discussion.

Maybe you should post less often, but think more before you do.

Make of it what you will but Reche was trying to sidle up to gab with his QB in between 4th quarter plays (looked like he was trying to explain what just transpired on his last play) and Brady had that dismissive get out of my space half smile on his face and almost immediately walked away and started talking to the next guy he encountered. I think Reche is hanging by a thread. If Branch returns and Jackson gets on the field next week and one or two functional 4th or 5th WR's shake loose he could be unemployed by 9/2.

And those eyes are getting freakier by the game.

old 55 said:
NEWBIE? Just because I don't post every single day of the year, doesn't mean I'm not following the Pats as closely as you or anyone else. I've been following the Pats since 1970. I've been posting on this board and its prior versions for many, many years.

I'm speaking for myself when I say what I say and if you don't agree, come up with a logical response. Telling me to "f-ing relax" isn't adding any value to the discussion.

OLD 55 -
Didn't you used to post on the ESPN Pats message board? Didn't you also used to say that Daniel Graham was a bust after just 2 seasons even though Belichick said it took 3 for a TE to develop.

If I have you mistaken for someone else, fine. However, it seems more likely that you haven't learned anything in your 36 years of following the Pats if you think that Caldwell is so bad he should be cut.

People who think that its easy to just catch balls from whatever QB is throwing them to you has never been a WR with different QBs throwing the ball to you. Each QBs touch is different. Yes, Caldwell seems to be having a tougher time with Brady than he does with Cassell. However, a very plausible reason is that Cassell's touch could be closer to that of Drew Brees, the QB that Caldwell has spend the last 4 years catching balls from. Caldwell deserves some time to get acclimated to Brady and the team. Every player is different and some take a bit longer to get acclimated than othes. To "throw out the baby with the bathwater" at this point in time would just be stupid.

Also, what NO ONE has mentioned is that Caldwell is still recovering from his torn ACL. As he practices more and gets more acclimated, he should get less tentative and be able to do more. He is at the end of his recovery, but, again, everyone recovers differently.

patsox23 said:
What in the **** is up with this board? It's infested with a bunch of grouchy jackasses.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:
He had what two balls thrown at him? Three tops?

I wouldn't cut him but he is real bad and so far NOT the answer.

Brady's favorite receiver is the one who is open. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
Don_the_patfan said:
Brady's favorite receiver is the one who is open.

No, I think tonight proved Brady's favorite receiver is Ben Watson. I could be mistaken though, and this could be because Watson got open alot.

primetime said:
No, I think tonight proved Brady's favorite receiver is Ben Watson. I could be mistaken though, and this could be because Watson got open alot.

Yes I believe it's because he was open which means Caldwell was not. Bottom line I think so far he has shown nothing except being in the wrong spot and dropping balls.

P.S. What is up with his eyes..damn.

Don_the_patfan said:
I wouldn't cut him but he is real bad and so far NOT the answer.

Brady's favorite receiver is the one who is open. Make of that what you will.
3 drops.

Thats it.

We'll see how this works out.

Yet he caught a beaming spiral from Cassel.

I don't think we need to cut Reche yet. True, he hasn't performed up to his potential... matter of fact, he hasn't performed at all, but the truth of the matter is that we're very very thin at WR, at this point we need all the help we can get and there's no denying that. You cut him now you will just remove another "potential" from the team. Here's a way to make you feel better about the situation, he's so bad now there's no where for him to go but up.

old 55 said:

My apologies, long-termer. I just think it's a frantic, hysterical, impatient reaction and a terribly unlikely - and therefore USELESS - thread to start. He's not going to get cut. It's ridiculous to suggest it and, having followed the team for so many years (as I have), I'd expect more from you.

DaBruinz said:
OLD 55 -
Didn't you used to post on the ESPN Pats message board? Didn't you also used to say that Daniel Graham was a bust after just 2 seasons even though Belichick said it took 3 for a TE to develop.

If I have you mistaken for someone else, fine. However, it seems more likely that you haven't learned anything in your 36 years of following the Pats if you think that Caldwell is so bad he should be cut.

People who think that its easy to just catch balls from whatever QB is throwing them to you has never been a WR with different QBs throwing the ball to you. Each QBs touch is different. Yes, Caldwell seems to be having a tougher time with Brady than he does with Cassell. However, a very plausible reason is that Cassell's touch could be closer to that of Drew Brees, the QB that Caldwell has spend the last 4 years catching balls from. Caldwell deserves some time to get acclimated to Brady and the team. Every player is different and some take a bit longer to get acclimated than othes. To "throw out the baby with the bathwater" at this point in time would just be stupid.

Also, what NO ONE has mentioned is that Caldwell is still recovering from his torn ACL. As he practices more and gets more acclimated, he should get less tentative and be able to do more. He is at the end of his recovery, but, again, everyone recovers differently.

That wasn't me on the ESPN board. I only post, and as you can see, very infrequently, on this board and its prior versions. I have always been big on Graham. I love our TEs.

As for Caldwell, yes I do understand that it takes time to develop and adjust to a different QB. He may be more comfortable with Cassell, but Brady is the QB who will be throwing the ball to him if he makes the team.

I appreciate that you think my opinion is reactionary and premature, but I don't appreciate your criticism that I haven't learned anything about the Pats in 36 years because I think Caldwell is that bad. I would love for Caldwell to step up and prove me wrong. I would gladly eat crow since this would mean that the Pats would have a reliable #2 WR. I've seen many WRs come and go with the Pats over the last 36 years and he has not started off well.
I sincerely hope he can turn it around quickly if he stays since the season is about to start for real.

Thanks for posting your take on the Caldwell situation.

patsox23 said:
My apologies, long-termer. I just think it's a frantic, hysterical, impatient reaction and a terribly unlikely - and therefore USELESS - thread to start. He's not going to get cut. It's ridiculous to suggest it and, having followed the team for so many years (as I have), I'd expect more from you.

Sorry to have disappointed you. LOL.

BTW - I generally read most posts on this site on a daily basis. You're not actually required to post a response to a thread that you think is USELESS.

I guess I should just post a rah-rah thread about how great we are and how many games were going to win since it's clear that an opinion that doesn't agree with the generally prevailing thinking isn't welcome anymore.

BTW - how many expected Lawyer Milloy to be cut? Would I have received the same response "rediculous" "USELESS" etc. if I suggested that Milloy was going to be cut by BB? I understand that salary was an issue then, but it certainly wasn't the prevailing thinking back then that Milloy would be cut.

old 55 said:
Sorry to have disappointed you. LOL.

BTW - I generally read most posts on this site on a daily basis. You're not actually required to post a response to a thread that you think is USELESS.

I guess I should just post a rah-rah thread about how great we are and how many games were going to win since it's clear that an opinion that doesn't agree with the generally prevailing thinking isn't welcome anymore.

BTW - how many expected Lawyer Milloy to be cut? Would I have received the same response "rediculous" "USELESS" etc. if I suggested that Milloy was going to be cut by BB? I understand that salary was an issue then, but it certainly wasn't the prevailing thinking back then that Milloy would be cut.

Hey Old 55, I've got a question for you. Eagles or Tom Waits?

And this newbie crap is incredibly lame. What is this third grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News