PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cut Caldwell. He can't catch a cold..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Give it some more time. Caldwell looked bad in the first half. I thought he slowed up on that deep balll Brady threw into double coverage, he might have split it if he had been full speed. That said, he needs to understand the things Brady can do. He caught passes with Cassel lat in the game. I did think it was telling that he was in late in the game.

BB won't hesitate to cut him if he thinks its appropriate.

Troy Brown looks about 5 years younger

Last edited by a moderator:
shakadave said:
Not much separation, no. He was well covered on an overthrown bomb. He had a defender near when he dropped the short pass. He did have a play IIRC where he didn't make the catch but there was a penalty on a defender.

If he's been the star of training camp, maybe the law of averages will kick in and Reche will mix in some good games soon.
I was rooting for the guy all night. Good as the Pats were doing, I wanted to see the new #87 catch a critical pass from Brady, one of those third-down leap-and-grabs. A statement catch.

I was disappointed not to see it. They did have him in tight coverage and maybe that was why Watson was open -- the Redskins focused on the sidelines and not the middle. But it was also clear that he couldn't get free and he wasn't on the same page as Brady.

FWIW, of course he won't be cut. Maybe I have a hard time with literal meanings of threads, but I didn't see this thread about whether Caldwell should be cut, but a venting of frustration over the one guy who should really be stepping up about now. All those glowing reports from TC amount to a hill of beans if the guy can't get open in a game.

Yes, it has been only 3 preseason games and mostly with Cassel. Of course he'll have more opportunities to make a statement catch. But right now, today, Caldwell doesn't look good and for reasons that aren't reassuring.

patsox23 said:
Maverick, if I'm being kunty lately, I apologize. Perhaps I'm misreading this thread, but if it were simply calling on Caldwell to be demoted, I would be fine with it. But does anyone honestly believe that the Patriots are going to cut one of TWO NFL WRs we have willing to play right now? No. NO ONE does, not even the originator of this thread.

My frustration lately lies with the proponderance of posters dragging down the quality of the site with ludicrous suggestions like this one about CUTTING Reche Caldwell. It's silly. It's unworthy of patsfans.com. And it's been a HORRIBLE off-season full of these bottom-drawer excursions.

I haven't been able to watch any games since the first, (I've tried), but why not allow a little frustration in a relevant football thread?

Branch and Jackson aren't playing and Caldwell is supposed to be the veteran hope.

If he isn't doing the job, and a lot of people think this, there are veterans out there to be picked up this time of year.

He's not a rookie. Maybe he has the stuff and maybe he doesn't. To say he just doesn't have it is a legitimate point and one being increasingly made by "veteran" posters.

Last edited:
We are watching the true Reche. He does not catch the ball when it counts. And if he does he will fumble it. It was him last year that fumbled the ball on a key play that helped the Eagles beat the Chargers. He is a #3 receiver at best. Ask any Chargers fans they will tell you.

maverick4 said:
He doesn't catch balls properly by extending his hands, and he doesn't seem like a great route runner.

I agree with you maverick. Watching Reche last night, it seemed like he "rounded off" his square-in routes. Not what you want to see from a veteran reciever. His cuts were not sharp and I think that's the attribute that Brady wants most from his recievers. Precise route running becomes even more important when we don't have a proper deep threat and the safeties move in closer to crowd the intermediate patterns.

Hopefully this can be corrected by coaching because from all I've heard Reche is a great teammate.

Last edited:
Caldwell looked better in the second half. Perhaps he needs more time to learn the playbook? I'm not ready to give up on him just yet, especially with the lack of depth and quality among the receivers.

Perspective please.

Caldwell had 7 passes thrown his way. One was a bomb into double covered and not close. So the question is really what the situation ended up withthe other six passes. Three completions and a PI call so the equivalent of 4 completions. One of the two others was a clear drop, (Boo Reche!) and the other was a poor pass by the QB in my opnion.

BTW making four receptions a game wil equal 64 catches a season, something Givens never did. Caldwell is not a #1, but its clear he can be a #2; with talent to approach a #1 if his "hands" improve.

Relax, everybody!

And I know that Old 55 did not literally really mean cut Reche, since we don't have a surplus of players and he is better than all but one of the currently available WRs.

AzPatsFan said:
Perspective please.

Caldwell had 7 passes thrown his way. One was a bomb into double covered and not close. So the question is really what the situation ended up withthe other six passes. Three completions and a PI call so the equivalent of 4 completions. One of the two others was a clear drop, (Boo Reche!) and the other was a poor pass by the QB in my opnion.

BTW making four receptions a game wil equal 64 catches a season, something Givens never did. Caldwell is not a #1, but its clear he can be a #2; with talent to approach a #1 if his "hands" improve.

Relax, everybody!

And I know that Old 55 did not literally really mean cut Reche, since we don't have a surplus of players and he is better than all but one of the currently available WRs.

If Caldwell was not wearing a patriots uniform right now would you think the same. What in his career has shown Caldwell to be anything more then a #3. And saying he could be a #1 if his hands improve is like saying that girl could be a model if she wasnt ugly.

R_T26 said:
If Caldwell was not wearing a patriots uniform right now would you think the same. What in his career has shown Caldwell to be anything more then a #3. And saying he could be a #1 if his hands improve is like saying that girl could be a model if she wasnt ugly.

Yes, with proper surgical procedures and a lot of puking.

old 55 said:
Sorry to have disappointed you. LOL.

BTW - I generally read most posts on this site on a daily basis. You're not actually required to post a response to a thread that you think is USELESS.

I guess I should just post a rah-rah thread about how great we are and how many games were going to win since it's clear that an opinion that doesn't agree with the generally prevailing thinking isn't welcome anymore.

BTW - how many expected Lawyer Milloy to be cut? Would I have received the same response "rediculous" "USELESS" etc. if I suggested that Milloy was going to be cut by BB? I understand that salary was an issue then, but it certainly wasn't the prevailing thinking back then that Milloy would be cut.

PatSox23 is one of the best people on this site, and a bright guy. I say that because I almost always agree with his takes:). While, I agree again, in that it's probably too early to say "cut him", I respect your opinion, Old, to say it.

This next comment isn't meant for PatSox, because he seldom slams people, but I'm not crazy about the people on here that get slammed, just because they have an opinion that isn't sunshine and roses.

Just MHO.

Old55, i hope you don't let some sourpusses get to ya.

In every aspect of life, it's the people who reasonably tell us what we don't know or believe ...
and don't want to know or believe
... who have the most to offer.

I know your thread theme shook me up.
We need contrarians here.

Last edited by a moderator:
old 55 said:
NEWBIE? Just because I don't post every single day of the year, doesn't mean I'm not following the Pats as closely as you or anyone else. I've been following the Pats since 1970. I've been posting on this board and its prior versions for many, many years.

I'm speaking for myself when I say what I say and if you don't agree, come up with a logical response. Telling me to "f-ing relax" isn't adding any value to the discussion.

Maybe you should post less often, but think more before you do.

funny, I remember that handle going back at least 5 years, probably more...

zippo59 said:
The guy is not a number 1 or even a number 2 WR. He hasn't looked good because he is being put in the position where he has to be one. If he is able to be a number 3 or number 4 I think he would be a nice asset.[/QUOTE

I tend to see it like you and the "newbie" so far this preseason in regards to Caldwell.....The fact of the matter is that we get USED to our receivers NOT dropping balls that are thrown right into their hands/chest high.......call me spoiled....but Deion, Givens, Brown, Watson....these guys MAKE THOSE CATCHES..........Now I realize Caldwell is not going to be a #1 or #2 WR for us....but on 3rd and whatever with 1:00 left in regulation....all of our receivers have to MAKE the catch. My feeling is that Reche has dropped several EASY throws.....one for a TD....a few others for first down yardage...time will tell I guess...in BB we trust....

Johnny Z said:
Going through real fast, I count 8 passes to Caldwell. He caught 3 of them. It looks like he played at least into the 4th quarter.

I think the guy is terrible; always have.

Can't believe BB is wasting his time with him. Looks like Bam played in the 4th quarter and made two catches on two passes. He's money.

Good point on Bam man.....Bam is looking good........I wouldn't be surprised to see him stick and Reche gone.....one man's opinion......and guys once again....this IS WHAT this board should be all about....different OPINIONS......I appreciate hearing all of yours even if I disagree.....GO PATS!!!!

AzPatsFan said:
Caldwell is not a #1, but its clear he can be a #2; with talent to approach a #1 if his "hands" improve.

from http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=151485

“He has great hands,†said cornerback Ellis Hobbs, who’s covered him in practice. “I asked him one day what he focuses on when the ball’s coming at him. He said he focuses on the point of the ball.
“He has a Juggs machine at the house. He says when he comes out here, it’s like child’s play, the ball’s moving so slow to him. When in real time, Tom, he has a hose on him. It’s nothing to him.â

Bam is looking pretty good, but to me, I think him and Reche only add up to #3 and #4 on a good day, and a #4 & #5 on a bad day. We still do need a legit #1 or a #2. I just hope everything will work out by Sept 1. And don't forget, Brady can make a #3 looks like a #1 some times, so we really don't need extraordinary receivers.

I expect that Brown, Caldwell and Childress (or Stone) can replace the production of the four that they replaced.

#3 Brown
#4 Davis
#5 Dwight
#6 Johnson

---------------------------------------------
Now, who is replacing the production of Branch and Givens?

Of course, at this point we are hoping Branch and Jackson.

R_T26 said:

Hmm.. Maybe the fact that in 2004 Caldwell EARNED the starting job out of training camp with the Chargers. I watched Caldwell for his 3 years and he made progressive improvements each year.

The reason the Chargers let him go was they drafted Vincent Jackson last year and wanted him to have no obstacles. Not to mention they already had McCardell and Parker (both of whom caught better than 70% of the Passes thrown their way compared to Caldwell's 67%).

OK. I will say that he has missed some opportunties in the pre-season. If pre-season receptions counted he would be having a disappointing first three games.

Now , last night, how many of you noticed that he ran two precise routes which were designed to draw the DB's away from Watson? On both of those routes, Watson ended up wide open and made good receptions.

Football being the team game that it is, makes Calwells route running important even if he's no where near the ball. That was one of Bethel's problems , he wouldn't run the route unless it was designed for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back