Curran: in the end, the NFL got what it wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Which is why, for the past three weeks, Judge Berman made no progress. Even with Berman’s derision for the way the NFL’s conducted its investigation. Even with his disgust that the league trampled a worker’s appellate rights. Even with the mocking Berman gave Goodell and attorney Daniel Nash in open court, the NFL was able to swallow hard and take it.

Because this is what it wanted. It’s like broccoli and asparagus for the league.

This – all of it – has benefited the collective NFL. The Patriots are diminished on the field and in the draft – good for any team competing in 2015 to have the top dog neutered. The franchise got its comeuppance – good for the league suits who’ve had it with the Patriots arrogance. The Krafts are pissed off and squealing – good for all the owners who’ve been told by Robert Kraft to do what Roger says. The players see the willingness of the commissioner to go ballistic over ball pressure and that the league can get away with a bag job investigation – good for the league’s disciplinary arm. And the commissioner’s power to hear appeals will be bulletproof.

The NFL is now through the hard part. The unseemly image of dragging Brady behind their car for seven months is over. Now they can just sit back and let Berman rule – which is what they wanted when they brought it to his court in the first place – and if they lose, they just take it up for an appeal of their own. It’s just business.

Goodell will inevitably speak at some point of how painful this has been for him. The paternal: “This hurts me more than it hurts you, son.”

We’ll probably hear from him before the opener in an awkward interview where he goes heavy on the use of “integrity” and “fair.” All said with a straight face.

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-pa...deflategate-nfl-gets-what-it-wanted-all-along

I think there's a lot of jealous people in NFL offices who hate the Patriots. Kensil obviously. He saw the Patriots on their way to another SB and that tinge of jealousy overcame him.

DeflateGate was originally meant to cause a distraction for the Patriots before the SuperBowl.

It succeeded in doing that… but the Patriots won anyways.

DeflateGate was originally meant to cause a distraction for the Patriots before the SuperBowl.

THIS. The NFL offices thought that they could create a distraction that would prevent the Patriots from winning. The story would have been Russell Wilson wins back to back Super Bowls at the same age Brady won his back to back rings. Out with the old, in with the new.

Except. It. Didn't. Work. Malcolm Butler stepped up on that final drive.

This was like kicking a hornet's nest and they went all in. Only a new Commissioner and a house cleaning of Park Avenue will change things.

I think Curran should have waited until the actual end before writing about who got what "in the end."

Curran should have waited on the decision. If Brady wins, that column becomes little more than nonsense.

He believes otherwise. He believes the NFL wins even if things are mired in court, or at least that the NFL thinks it wins in that scenario.
  • Patriots loss of draft pick? He's right.
  • Patriots generally annoyed and diminished in public perception? He's right.
  • Players intimidated even if the NFL loses this round in court as well? I disagree, but that's his semi-clearly stated opinion. (He may also be saying that this is the NFL's belief, not his own. Or he may be weasel-wording so that we can't be sure.)

He believes otherwise. He believes the NFL wins even if things are mired in court, or at least that the NFL thinks it wins in that scenario.
  • Patriots loss of draft pick? He's right.
  • Patriots generally annoyed and diminished in public perception? He's right.
  • Players intimidated even if the NFL loses this round in court as well? I disagree, but that's his semi-clearly stated opinion. (He may also be saying that this is the NFL's belief, not his own. Or he may be weasel-wording so that we can't be sure.)

If the opinion both excoriates the NFL and zeroes out the Brady penalty, pretty much everything Curran says is undone by such a strong opinion. That's why he should have waited.

The players, for example, sure as hell aren't going to be intimidated by an 0-5 court record.

The vegetables analogy doesn't really work. In that case you're doing something you don't like because it's good for you, in some cases to "earn" a reward.

In this case the league is putting up with something that they don't like, and is likely bad for them, for something they like that's bad for them. This is more like putting up with the perception surrounding being obese because you really like food. You may label yourself the "winner" because you eat whatever you want, but barring unrelated to the weight a very short life...

I think ole Tom is a little off the mark here.

I understand what he is trying to say but I find it very hard that the NFL wanted to go to Federal court to fight Tom Brady over footballs and the CBA.

I believe that they expected Tom to capitulate once Bob did.

Sure, they can keep fighting but it that what they really want? To battle in the Federal court when it's record sucks eggs? Then continue with the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals during the season as a distraction? For it's #1 star to not play Opening Night (while ratings will still be awesome so that may be a bad argument). IMO this whole thing is the NFLs Vietnam.

So while Curran is right in some respects, he is dead wrong or conveniently forgetting the collateral damage it's investigation is leaving behind.

If the opinion both excoriates the NFL and zeroes out the Brady penalty, pretty much everything Curran says is undone by such a strong opinion. That's why he should have waited.

The players, for example, sure as hell aren't going to be intimidated by an 0-5 court record.

I agree with your opinion about the effects of a big Brady win, and hence disagree with what Curran seems to be saying on that point.

But I don't think that's nearly as close to having been the whole article as you are suggesting.

Curran should have waited on the decision. If Brady wins, that column becomes little more than nonsense.

".....The NFL is now through the hard part. The unseemly image of dragging Brady behind their car for seven months is over. Now they can just sit back and let Berman rule – which is what they wanted when they brought it to his court in the first place – and if they lose, they just take it up for an appeal of their own. It’s just business......"

".....The NFL is now through the hard part. The unseemly image of dragging Brady behind their car for seven months is over. Now they can just sit back and let Berman rule – which is what they wanted when they brought it to his court in the first place – and if they lose, they just take it up for an appeal of their own. It’s just business......"

That changes nothing, unless they win the appeal.

Patriots lost years ago.

"They already cheated and were convicted once"

There it is and that is the rub, the patriots have no credibility left, zero.

This is a sad state of affairs. What we essentially have is a bunch of jealous teams or owners who want the Pats run over. Even worse than over they want it diminished in every way shape and form.

Even if Brady wins he loses. The damage has already been done.
This story has dragged on for months but most fans made up their mind a long time ago.

So now, we as fans of the team need to ask our selves the question.
Do we really care. If you do, you have your own set of problems.

If you are looking for justice in this menagerie of stupidity, then go find a mirror because your the stupid one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back