PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran and Felger on WEEI tomorrow morning [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Curran on WEEI right now

Why would Tom Brady be in Foxboro if his Rehabilitation was 20 weeks behind schedule? Someone PLEASE enlighten me.

His doctor is on the other side of the country. A current rehabilitation schedule is the only likely scenario to me.

My only problem with Tom Curran's Story is the fact that His "League Source" would not go "On The Record".I don't doubt for a minute that Tom Curran wrote exactly what He was told but We have no way of judging the accuracy of the story since We don't know who it came from.This "Source" is no Profile in Courage for if He had stones his name would have been prominent in Tom Curran's Story.

20 weeks is 4 months. This is still December. So, claiming that Brady is 20 months behind schedule is claiming that, essentially, Brady never experienced December, November, October or most of September.

In other words, if Curran is claiming that Brady is 20 weeks behind schedule, he's all but saying that Brady is essentially at day 1.

Re: FYI--Curran and Felger on WEEI tomorrow morning

Interesting, hopefully they'll get the Schefter part up on the vault soon, I'd like to hear that. At this point, I'll take Schefter over Curran. Interesting about the west coast surgery aspect.

Schefter's take on the matter to that he was told it was incorrect but he didn't seem to put much stock in the denial he got. He doesn't really have a clue either way. He pointed out for sake of comparison that the Colts ridiculed him when he called them to comment on a report he had that Peyton Manning had a 2nd knee surgery, stressing the strength of the denial. As we all know, Manning has since confirmed he did have a second knee surgery.

Last edited:

I'd like to know how Brady can be 20 weeks behind schedule when he was only injured 16 weeks ago.:rolleyes:

I call BS! Currans article is pure CRAP! When coach says he's behind, THEN and only THEN will I believe it. :snob: He's just another sub-liminal "hater".

I'd like to know how Brady can be 20 weeks behind schedule when he was only injured 16 weeks ago.:rolleyes:

LOL!!

Good point.

The only part of Curran's story that is potentially a problem is the loose and weak ligaments. Even if Brady is just getting over the infection, etc., right now, there is plenty of time. But if the surgery resulted in a less than optimal result in terms of the actual ligaments, that's a concern.

AJ Price of the UConn Huskies did what Brady did back in March of last year, and he was playing full court basketball, stopping, starting, by August.

Brady is on schedule. I'm not buying this off schedule stuff at all. My only concern is that the surgery wasn't a success at all.

One annoying thing I found about the limited time I listened to Curran on my commute was that he was instant that his story is more credible than others refuting it because no-one has any facts to refute his story. I would love to ask him what his facts are that support his story other than an unnamed source. The only things that could really refute his story would be the Drs who have been working on it, the MRI/other medical evidence, or Tom himself and since no one really can get that we are to just assume his story is true when really the only way to prove what he is saying is the same thing the Drs who have been working on it, the MRI/other medical evidence, or Tom himself.

One annoying thing I found about the limited time I listened to Curran on my commute was that he was instant that his story is more credible than others refuting it because no-one has any facts to refute his story. I would love to ask him what his facts are that support his story other than an unnamed source. The only things that could really refute his story would be the Drs who have been working on it, the MRI/other medical evidence, or Tom himself and since no one really can get that we are to just assume his story is true when really the only way to prove what he is saying is the same thing the Drs who have been working on it, the MRI/other medical evidence, or Tom himself.

The only source that Curran might have access to that I would then give credibility to is Tom's father and that is a possibility.

Curran has made a strong case, but I think he dismissed Springer's and King's stories because they didn't address his story on a fact by fact basis. I don't think that is a strong enough argument on it's face to dismiss them. If the story isn't true and sources are saying so, they may not want to go into details.

I may have been listening at a different point, but Curran's case I heard was more than that.

He was clearly being cautious with Peter King who works for the same network as Curran. His case was not just that King didn't refute anything in his article but that King's statement about Brady being ahead of schedule was illogical. The simple fact that there was the infection that was only recently cleared makes being ahead of schedule in recovery from an early October surgery impossible.

He was much more direct on the Springer story which the Globe said refuted his claims but the only details they referenced were items the Globe had never reported before and both confirmed things in his report - range of motion issues and a possible upcoming surgery.

He said despite what others have attributed to him, he never wrote Brady would not play in 2009, only that he is behind in rehab and unlikely to be 100% at the start of the 2009 season.

All of these media "HACKS" are concerned about one thing...BEING WRONG.
Yes, I include Curran in that group. I don't trust any of them. :disagreement:

What was Felger and the caller's reaction to Curran?

The only source that Curran might have access to that I would then give credibility to is Tom's father and that is a possibility.

OK Tom's immediate family as well too than but just because Curran is supposedly close to Tom and/or Tom's family doesn't mean it was the source. And my point is that Curran is not giving any more or less proof than he asked of people trying to refute his story. Where is the medical evidence that this is the case? which is what he basicaly asked of those refuting his story.

He was clearly being cautious with Peter King who works for the same network as Curran. His case was not just that King didn't refute anything in his article but that King's statement about Brady being ahead of schedule was illogical. The simple fact that there was the infection that was only recently cleared makes being ahead of schedule in recovery from an early October surgery impossible.

Right, but King is taking that into consideration. It's saying "given he had the infection, he is now on schedule, and ahead of schedule for someone with said infection". Talking about Brady as if he is on the same schedule as a patient who did not run into a setback isn't valuable at this point. What matters is if he is on schedule with patients with comparable circumstances - King, Springer & Schefter are all looking at it that way. Curran is still harping on the pre-infection time table.

I don't think any of this will matter in the long run (unless there is further complications).

It is quite possible for him to be behind due to the infection, but for him now to leap forward and "catch up" or get ahead now that the infection had cleared. My whole point of the thread was to point out what a whiney b*tch he was sounding like.

I read his stuff, be don't often listen to him (I'm outside the area). He came across poorly, and if I was not "invested as a fan" in the story to the point of bias, I would still say "this guy sounds like he's full of Shzit".

OK Tom's immediate family as well too than but just because Curran is supposedly close to Tom and/or Tom's family doesn't mean it was the source. And my point is that Curran is not giving any more or less proof than he asked of people trying to refute his story. Where is the medical evidence that this is the case? which is what he basicaly asked of those refuting his story.

Dr. James Andrews, the end all be all of all that is professional athlete's surgeries, spoke earlier this season. Until someone else with his resume or someone INSIDE the organization talks about this, I don't believe any of it.

Dr. Andrews says Brady getting better

By Sam Farmer
October 24, 2008 in print edition D-4

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has had three surgeries on his injured left knee, the last two in recent weeks to battle a rare infection stemming from the repair of two torn ligaments.

According to a renowned orthopedist who was consulted by Brady’s surgeon, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the quarterback appears to be responding to antibiotics and doctors are confident his recovery timetable for his ligament graft has not been compromised.

“What I gather from talking to Neal today is that Tom’s getting better, and what has been done is getting him well,” said Dr. James Andrews, widely regarded as the country’s pre-eminent sports orthopedist.

“Optimistically, once you get this under control and you can save that graft and win the infection battle – which apparently from what I gather he is winning – once the healing process catches back up, it really doesn’t set him behind to any degree relative to the overall healing process. The main thing is to save the graft.”

The surgeries were performed in L.A. by ElAttrache of the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic. When the infection appeared, ElAttrache consulted with Andrews, whose patients have included Peyton Manning and Michael Jordan. Andrews has a clinic in Birmingham, Ala.

“Neal called me in confidence to run this problem by me to see what I thought,” Andrews said by phone. “We went over that, one, he should be aggressive about going back in, don’t wait on it, don’t let [the infection] continue to declare itself. Get it washed out and scope it. And I said he’d probably have to re-scope it several more times to make sure he got it under control.”

ESPN, citing unnamed sources, reported the Patriots were upset because they wanted Brady’s surgery done by doctors of their choosing. The club denied the report.

Likewise, Andrews said Brady made the right decision in selecting ElAttrache. “[Neal is] very knowledgeable and as good a decision maker in taking care of athletic injuries – including complications – as anyone in the world.”

We are all hoping curran is wrong so are clinging on to anyone who says +ve. Curran is a respected guy and generally close to brady. So there must be some truth to it whether we want to accept it or not. But how much is true, no one really knows .Things change in an injury so quickly that one cannot predict what is happening .
Lets hope that curran is wrong but i think there some cause to concern here regardless of what king or anyone says.
Also Michael Silver on Yahoo said Brady is on schedule.He is another guy close to brady. Go Figure.

What exactly is Brady's rehab schedule and goals? Are they targeting passing camp, mini-camp, training camp, regular season? If a report states that Brady is behind schedule then their must be a date driven plan. Any story, good or bad that assesses progress should provide certain expected goals and dates in order for it to have any credibility. If you don't have that information because the Patriots won't release it and they probably wouldn't, dig up a comparative plan from say Carson Palmer's injury and interview Bengals trainers or applicable subject matter experts.
I really find it insulting as a reader when a reporter simply discloses unnamed sources without spending additional time to investigate facts of other cases that might be considered somewhat comparable.

I may have been listening at a different point, but Curran's case I heard was more than that.

He was much more direct on the Springer story which the Globe said refuted his claims but the only details they referenced were items the Globe had never reported before and both confirmed things in his report - range of motion issues and a possible upcoming surgery.

He said despite what others have attributed to him, he never wrote Brady would not play in 2009, only that he is behind in rehab and unlikely to be 100% at the start of the 2009 season.

I felt Curran played games with the ahead of schedule argument. His argument was "how can Brady be ahead of schedule when the infection set him back" when it seems pretty clear that the "ahead of schedule" that is referenced is the revised schedule based on the infection.

Springer did address the same issues, but where Curran made it sound like the details were worst case scenario, Springer made it based case scenario. Springer didn't dispute the facts that Brady has scar tissue and lack of mobility, she disputed what Curran portrayed as the likely out come and what these facts mean to his progress.

Again I don't think Curran made up the story. I think the spin of the details may be overly negative compared to reality. Springer's, King's, Casserly's, and Schefter's may be overly optimistic.

This is why Curran is getting so upset. He chose to run an article that only spoke of the worst case scenarios from the fact where most of the people who are getting the details are getting the best case scenario. If Schefter is right and there are medical staff in the organization who are slighted and spreading rumors like this (he seemed to have that info from his Patriots sources), Curran might have gotten real information but the worst and probably unlikely outcome. That is where the dispute is.

I think if Curran was less defensive and Felger was a little smarter, they would have seen the difference.

Schefter's take on the matter to that he was told it was incorrect but he didn't seem to put much stock in the denial he got. He doesn't really have a clue either way. He pointed out for sake of comparison that the Colts ridiculed him when he called them to comment on a report he had that Peyton Manning had a 2nd knee surgery, stressing the strength of the denial. As we all know, Manning has since confirmed he did have a second knee surgery.

Schefter used the Colts example to show how the stories like these have lives of their own and can take different turns as the go along. He never indicated he doubted his source, but he indicated that there was a possibility that as this process plays out that source could be exposed as either incorrect or a liar based on past similiar situations in the league.

Again, Schefter did say he tried to find someone to corberate Curran's story and he couldn't find a single source. He also pointed out that there are people or a person in the Patriots medical spreading negative rumors about Brady. Personally, I took the interview as Schefter felt that Curran had either bad information or negative spin on the correct information, but was being polite not be confrontational or embarrassing the host of the show he is on by saying he is wrong on a bombshell story like this. But that was just my take.

Again, I don't know if the information as a whole is wrong. I think the potential outcomes based on the information may be especially if Curran got the spin from one of the medical staff who seem to be slighted according to Schefter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back