PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats end up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
cassel has been in the system for a few years now, he is definitely learning and who knows he might be our steve young when brady hangs it up. I don't think anyone would give up a 1 or 2 for Cassel and that being said we already have 2 1st rnd picks next year what would we do with a third? Especially in the finance department.

Forget the Cassell trade talk.
There's nobody backing up Brady right now but Cassell.
Vinny's locker isn't empy yet, but neither has he been signed yet.

The enthusiasm for Gutierrez here is a little premature.
I remember hearing the same kind of hype for Michael Bishop. :rolleyes:
A bird in the hand (backup who knows your system) is better than a mid round draft pick.

Would not trade Cassell this year PERIOD unless we got an offer we couldn't refuse. And as most of you assert, he's not worth a draft pick that would be high enough for me to want to give him up.

I've never quite understood why, be it Scott Zolack, Michael Bishop, Rohan Davey or Matt Cassell, so many Patriots fans always believe that the backup QB is one of the most talented players on the team.

The only time they would have been correct is with Tom Brady - and there weren't too many people calling for Bledsoe's benching even after the first game that season.

Last edited:
Why would the Falcons attempt to obtain a guy who's never started an NFL game, who's never started a college game, to be their starter from game 1 in the case that their star QB is suspended, when they have the chance to contend this year?

Really, think about it. People seem to think every backup QB we have now is the next Tom Brady-in-waiting and that other teams feel the same way. They don't. The Falcons would be more likely to sign Vinny than to attempt to acquire Cassel, and that's just as unlikely. They'd probably stick with Joey Harrington. He's no superstar, but he's at least a known quantity and has enough ability to be a game manager.

Last edited:
your dreaming, trent green cant get more than a 5 or a 6 but cassell who hasnt done anything since high school will get a 1 or a2
It isn't about what you did in high school, it's about what the acquiring team thinks you will do NEXT year.

It is never about the past, it is always about the future.

I wouldn't trade him for a second, personally. He is our backup QB, and is more valuable as insurance than as a draft pick generator.

Those who think he cannot play obviously have a different opinion.

If we had two backups that were worth second rouknd picks, sure, trade one. But every team is one hit away from starting thier backup QB for the rest of the season.

BB obviously feels that Cassel can do that, so it is dumb to trade him.

People seem to think every backup QB we have now is the next Tom Brady-in-waiting
Umm, not everyone. No one except you said everyone. People seem to think Cassel is the guy who will step in for Tom Brady, though. Perhaps because his job description IS Tom-Brady-in-waiting. Brady has a season ending injury in game one and who do you think starts game 2?

Last edited:
How anyone can predict how Cassell is as QB is seeing something I don't yet.

Since Brady is rarely injured and the Patriots rarily blow teams away to put in garbage squad guys for more than just a snap or two,we have not seen enough of Matt to give any indication of whether he is worth a high draft pick or he is a worthless bust.
Right now he can be anything of those 2 classifications or somewhere in the middle.

At least Matt Schaub sort of tore up a championship caliber Patriots secondary squad a few years ago in just his first big time appearance...That opened the eyes of many..Including Houston's GM

If Brady goes down (god forbid) for 3 or 4 weeks with that sore shoulder when the Pats are fighting for the 1 seed, can Belichick run out a piece of paper onto the field that says "#3 draft pick 2008" on it to take the snap from Koppen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back