PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats end up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been liking what I've been hearing about Gutirrez. Cassel would never amount to a first or second round pick until he shows some good stuff in regular season games and that aint gonna happen with Brady around.

...or a Rob Johnson type game/situation via the Jag's in the playoffs...

This is ridiculous. I'm sure the Pats would take a 4th for Cassel, but I doubt any team would even offer that.

He will have to prove himself like Matt Shaub, or Rob Johnson (when he had that lights out playoff game in the playoffs when he was a Jag)...

Atlanta would, however, be the best bet to get a pick for Cassell. He may not be as mobile as Vick, but he could play in that system. Much more so than Schaub.

This is ridiculous. I'm sure the Pats would take a 4th for Cassel, but I doubt any team would even offer that.
You think the chance of success for a 4th round pick next year is better than the chance of Cassel, especially when bumping Cassel up because he plays a priority position ? Not a chance. Cassel has as much success, at least, IMO, as that second round group of Beck, Edwards and Kolb from this year.

You say : "A 3rd for a guy who never started a game in NFL?"
I say : Name me a draft pick who has started a game in the NFL.

It's bizarre how good points routinely get ignored here.

Vick has shown flashes of brilliance but, as a whole, has not been a true franchise quarterback. More like an exciting decoration than a steadfast foundation (see: WR, CB, etc.)

It's not beyond the realm of possibility than Blank will one day decide to stop giving Vick more money than anyone else and seek saner alternatives, albeit with maybe less cachet.

CFB isn't exactly pumping out Elway or Marino these days. Russel and Quinn? eh.. Henne, Brohm next year? eh..

Cassel has an impressive pedigree and has been allowed to mature. I imagine he is regarded as a commodity of some consideration around the league.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. I think if a GM was to choose between Harrington or Cassel, they might be split pretty even on that. Harrington is a proven turd. Cassel has yet to prove he is as big of a turd as Joey.

Valid and interesting "what if.." tombonneau.

So is: had Cassel been at Oregon instead of USC, would've Cassel been the #1 over Harrington? Harrington's chances in the NFL are all based on the promise he showed at Ore. Cassel was behind both Palmer and Leinart. Pretty stiff competition. Palmer is prolly already top 3-5 in the league, Leinart has a solid chance to do the same.

Last edited:
You think the chance of success for a 4th round pick next year is better than the chance of Cassel, especially when bumping Cassel up because he plays a priority position ? Not a chance. Cassel has as much success, at least, IMO, as that second round group of Beck, Edwards and Kolb from this year.
you contradict yourself, you were the same gut hell bent on not trading a second for welker, you could make your same argument for any 2nd or 3rd round reciever picked compared to welker, one differece welker has actually proven himself, cassell has been a project and has improved, id take the 3 qb you named over him from this years draft, they have all played, cassell hasnt hes rotted on the pine, thats a hugh gamble on any gm's parth he was a7 th rd pick, why?he didnt play, hes basically been a practice player since

Cassel is not worth a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd draft pick, but if someone is willing, then trade him. My ?? is why would NE trade him for anything less than that? It's like the Vice President, you are a nobody, until the unthinkable happens. I'd rather have an unproven commodity with potential that knows our offense and organization.

Disaster would have to strike the Pats for Cassel to have any trade value.

Mr. Quarterback would have to get injured and miss several games.

If Cassel could then step in and win most of the games, he would be

worthy of bringing a high draft pick in a trade.

Last edited:

The Pats took Kareem Brown with this a #4 this year. You don't think Cassell is alot more valuable than that?

I seriously doubt we could get a #1, but I think a #2 is not unreasonable.

If Brady suffered a season-ending injury in TC and had only Vinny as a back up, what would the Pats be willing to trade to get a Cassell clone?

Does anybody else see a little irony in the eagerness to trade away a promising backup QB...to a team that's in trouble because it traded away its promising backup QB?

We have no idea how the league views Matt Cassel. We do, though, have good clues how Bill Belichick views Matt Cassel. Clues like giving him a 4-year contract after first viewing him at rookie minicamp; letting the previous year's #2 walk to keep him on the roster as the world's rawest rookie; carrying only 2 QBs last season; only bringing in a UDFA and an AARP to camp this year. The Patriots clearly like him and trust him, and he's heading into his third year of absorbing this offense and studying to be a Tom Brady mini-me.

Now I certainly don't expect Tom Brady to suddenly get rung up on charges of dog fighting, horse poaching or alligator smuggling. But picture a Matt Hasselbeck-type scenario, where your QB is out for a significant stretch but expected back at full strength before playoff time. If your QB depth consists of Testaverde and Gutierrez, kiss your season goodbye.

Cassel's signed through 2008. You'd have to dazzle me to get me to part with him this early.

Does anybody else see a little irony in the eagerness to trade away a promising backup QB...to a team that's in trouble because it traded away its promising backup QB?

There was no eagerness in my original post. In fact, I put a caveat on it for the specific reasons you go on to mention.

We have no idea how the league views Matt Cassel. We do, though, have good clues how Bill Belichick views Matt Cassel. Clues like giving him a 4-year contract after first viewing him at rookie minicamp; letting the previous year's #2 walk to keep him on the roster as the world's rawest rookie; carrying only 2 QBs last season; only bringing in a UDFA and an AARP to camp this year. The Patriots clearly like him and trust him, and he's heading into his third year of absorbing this offense and studying to be a Tom Brady mini-me.

Now I certainly don't expect Tom Brady to suddenly get rung up on charges of dog fighting, horse poaching or alligator smuggling. But picture a Matt Hasselbeck-type scenario, where your QB is out for a significant stretch but expected back at full strength before playoff time. If your QB depth consists of Testaverde and Gutierrez, kiss your season goodbye.

Cassel's signed through 2008. You'd have to dazzle me to get me to part with him this early.

you contradict yourself, you were the same gut hell bent on not trading a second for welker
No I don't contradict myself. I had no problem with getting Welker for a low #2 - the reason I probably wouldn't have done it is we had to spend a decent size contract for him too. Additionally, Welker's upside is limited, he has a high floor but a low ceiling IMO. Whereas Cassel has a low floor but a high ceiling. There are no similarities to the two situations.

Any draft pick the Pats acquired for Cassel would not equal the insurance if Brady were to get nicked in what may be a Super bowl year...

The pre-preseason view looks like the Pats brass have planned for Brady, Cassel on the 53, Gutierrez on the PS, as a developmental QB, and Vinny T on the shadow roster, still seeking a ring,... for this superbowl run.

Why mess with that, unless you want to trade for another (better??) backup and then what have you really accomplished?

I would rather discuss who the Pats mighgt view as a better backup? Attributes that you'd want are:
1) Older pro with NFL starting experience;
2) Player fits Pats spread offense style;
3) Player has expereince in spread; (perhaps played it under another disciple. e..g Vinny Testaverde, but someone younger.)

Candidates ???

Testaverde from Jets under Parcells/Belichick
Bledsoe under Parcells and Belichick

Dilfer 49ers; no expereince in spread but a take what you have QB under Billick & SB POISE

Johnson Cowboys; no expereince in spread but SB PoISE similar M.O.; but will likely inherit Romo position from Cowboys when Tony reverts to mediocrity...

Fleisher got more out of nothing at Miami then a lot of others... out of football for a year to heal...

Now for some wild ones:
Pennington Jets Parcells/Belichick; if NYJ say they can't win with Penny Penny for Cassel and a first day pick; re-establish college Penny-Moss connection; rinky dink everything else is Penny at his best?

Frye under RAC; making room for Quinn (Frye for Cassel an a second day pic to clear the decks for Quinn?)

There was no eagerness in my original post. In fact, I put a caveat on it for the specific reasons you go on to mention.

DB, I wasn't referring to you in particular, just to the recurrent theme in the thread. For "eagerness," see posts like this:

I'm sure the Pats would take a 4th for Cassel, but I doubt any team would even offer that.

The Pats took Kareem Brown with this a #4 this year. You don't think Cassell is alot more valuable than that?

I seriously doubt we could get a #1, but I think a #2 is not unreasonable.

If Brady suffered a season-ending injury in TC and had only Vinny as a back up, what would the Pats be willing to trade to get a Cassell clone?
would you trade a1 or 2 for brodie croyle? cleo lemon?tavares jackson?fizpatrick of the rams? frye of cleveland? all young qb's with upside im curious

would you trade a1 or 2 for brodie croyle? cleo lemon?tavares jackson?fizpatrick of the rams? frye of cleveland? all young qb's with upside im curious
i forgot kellon cleamons? seneca wallace?groskowski of tampa?how about a 1 or a 2 for kyle boller?they are all in the same goup with cassell , most have played more, put your gm cap on and tell me what you would give up for each

No I don't contradict myself. I had no problem with getting Welker for a low #2 - the reason I probably wouldn't have done it is we had to spend a decent size contract for him too. Additionally, Welker's upside is limited, he has a high floor but a low ceiling IMO. Whereas Cassel has a low floor but a high ceiling. There are no similarities to the two situations.
if my memory serves me you thought welker was worth a 4, infact you were saying that they were going to move from a 2 to a 3or a 4 during the trade negotiations and you really got pissed when we threw in a meaningless 7

if my memory serves me you thought welker was worth a 4, infact you were saying that they were going to move from a 2 to a 3or a 4 during the trade negotiations and you really got pissed when we threw in a meaningless 7
No, I didn't get pissed I just wouldn't have done it. And, with having to give him a good contract I wouldn't have done a two but that's irrelevant to this discussion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back