PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats end up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Trading Cassel to the Falcons for a 1st or 2nd pick? I know Matt probably isn't ready, but I could see them trading Cassel to the Falcons if Guitirrez shows something in camp. Especially with Vinny almost certainly being signed at some point.

I am a Cassel fan, and I think he is better than a lot of starting quarterbacks around the league, but if the Patriots got a first or second rounder for him that would be the steal of steals.

Its probably just a dream anyways.... I forget that Atlanta had signed Harrington and also had DJ Shockley.

Teams have certainly overpaid before but it's difficult to imagine a #2 entering the conversation. If the Falcons are desperate, I could see them trading us a #3 which I'd be fine with.

For some upside, I'd take a #4 and our option to flip flop SF and Atl #1 next year. I think SF will be better but that option would give us two chances at a really good pick if one tanks.

Trading Cassel to the Falcons for a 1st or 2nd pick? I know Matt probably isn't ready, but I could see them trading Cassel to the Falcons if Guitirrez shows something in camp. Especially with Vinny almost certainly being signed at some point.
your dreaming, trent green cant get more than a 5 or a 6 but cassell who hasnt done anything since high school will get a 1 or a2 its a nice fairytale its not going to happen, in fact when hes played hes looked shacky and looked like hes running for his life

your dreaming, trent green cant get more than a 5 or a 6 but cassell who hasnt done anything since high school will get a 1 or a2 its a nice fairytale its not going to happen, in fact when hes played hes looked shacky and looked like hes running for his life

So you expect a young player who has barely played since high school to come into an NFL game and immediately have command and pocket presence?:rolleyes:

I was very impressed with what I have seen form him in preseason and the Dolphins game, but there is no way we are going to get that much for him.

Last edited:
I've been liking what I've been hearing about Gutirrez. Cassel would never amount to a first or second round pick until he shows some good stuff in regular season games and that aint gonna happen with Brady around.

I've been liking what I've been hearing about Gutirrez. Cassel would never amount to a first or second round pick until he shows some good stuff in regular season games and that aint gonna happen with Brady around.

Let's hope so.

So you expect a young player who has barely played since high school to come into an NFL game and immediately have command and pocket presence?:rolleyes:

I was very impressed with what I have seen form him in preseason and the Dolphins game, but there is no way we are going to get that much for him.
i said he wouldnt get a 1 or a 2, im still not convinced hes anything more than a 3rd qb, what has he done, hes looked tentative, gives the ball up alot in fumbles and interceptions, look id like him to be good but it hasnt happen on the playing field yet

Trent Green is a 37 year old QB who missed much of last season with a concussion. (read BIG RED FLAG). Green also has a large salary (7.2 million)for this coming season. So, its very understandable why the Chiefs are having a hard time gettng a 5th.

Now, please refer to Matt Schaub. Schaub has done mostly nothing in the NFL (I wouldn't call a 50% completion percentage as being good), yet the Falcons received 2 2nd round picks and a swap of 2007 1st round picks for him. And you don't think that Cassel could get a measly 2nd from a team that has 2 of them?

Last edited:
Trent Green is a 37 year old QB who missed much of last season with a concussion. (read BIG RED FLAG). Green also has a large salary (7.2 million)for this coming season. So, its very understandable why the Chiefs are having a hard time gettng a 5th.

Now, please refer to Matt Schaub. Schaub has done mostly nothing in the NFL (I wouldn't call a 50% completion percentage as being good), yet the Falcons received 2 2nd round picks and a swap of 2007 1st round picks for him. And you don't think that Cassel could get a measly 2nd from a team that has 2 of them?
The most Cassel has played in the pros is maybe two quarters.

Last edited:

Schaub was completely overhyped. He had one good game against and awful Patriots defense that had been preparing all week for Michael Vick. Even then he threw two passes right into Stark's hands but he dropped both because we all know how useless Starks was. He catches those easy picks and suddenly Schaub's stat line looks dramatically worse and the hype for him gets no where near the level it got. It will be hard to recreate those circumstances for Cassel.

The most Cassel has played in the pro's is maybe two quarters.

Cassel played 3 quarters in 2005 against the hapless Phins and nearly messed up the Pats play-offs for that year by winning the game. And that is with the 2nd string team in there playing for the Pats.

green is proven, thrown touchdowns, and has thousands of yards passing, lots of players have concussions and come back to play, again answer my question what has cassell done other that playing average in a meaningless game against a bad dolphins team?

:bricks:

Go and look at the trades for Schaub, Rob Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck and quit comparing a young kid to a 37 year old.

schaub was a good college qb a 3rd round draft pick and when hes playes hes played good and poised in fact he lit the pats up ypur comparing apples and oranges your argument isnt even close

schaub was a good college qb a 3rd round draft pick and when hes playes hes played good and poised in fact he lit the pats up ypur comparing apples and oranges your argument isnt even close
And Cassel came close to beating out a two time Heisman Trophy winner to be. Plus he's looked good in his limited playing time and has played for the best coach and behind a hall of fame QB for a few years. Of course he's not proven - duh - but he's as good a bet as many QB coming out of college at this point and would cost less.

Trent Green is also 37 years old and just came back from a major concussion. He has at best 2 years as a servicable starter left in him. The Dolphins know they are essentially trading a pick for a QB that will give them one year and most likely a losing one at that. Not to mention they are the only team that is serious about acquiring him, so why would they pull a Jerry Jones and bid against themselves? The only team that could possibly throw a monkey wrench into the situation is Atlanta and to be honest - I don't think they would do a whole lot better with Green than they would with Harrington.

Now, do I think Cassell will bring in a 1 or 2? A number 1 no, not really but a number two is possible and a 3rd is likely. Playing on the Patriots for two seasons under a good coaching staff and winning the trust of that coaching staff, increases his value. Not to mention getting tutelage from Tom Brady. I also wouldn't call his play "shacky and running for his life". In the one full regular season game he played, he nearly beat the Dolphins starters with our backups. He actually looks very poised when he plays during Pre-Season - again with the backups and camp fodder. He backed up Carson Palmer and was beat out by Matt Leinert, not exactly something to be ashamed of and drafted even though he didn't play in college. That says something about his abilities. If you recall our very own Tommy struggled for playing time throughout his college career at Michigan and both Brady and Cassell chose to stick it out. Does that mean he will be the next Brett Favre or Steve Young? Nope, but it doesn't mean he will be the next Scott Mitchell either.

I think your camparison is off base, Green is a rent a player and any franchise (yes, even the Dolphins) knows this - that coupled with a lack of suitors, makes Green worth a 6th maybe a 5th round pick.

If Schaub - a guy who showed some flashes of talent in a limited amount of games (much like Scott Mitchell) is worth a move up in the first round, a second round pick this year and next years number 2 - then Cassell is well worth a 3rd and depending on the interest could very well land a 2nd round pick.

Here are Schaub's numbers

CMP - 84
ATT - 161
PCT - 52.2
YDS - 1033
AVG - 6.4
TD - 6
LNG - 59
INT - 6
RTG - 69.2

Not exactly hall of fame numbers and he brought in a first round swap and two 2nd round picks.

Here are Cassell's numbers

CMP - 18
ATT - 32
PCT - 56.3
YDS - 215
AVG - 6.7
TD - 2
LNG - 36
INT - 1
RTG - 84.8

So why couldn't he bring in a 3rd?

Edit: I also forgot to mention Doug Flutie and Vinny T when I mentioned tutelage. Who tutored Schaub? Mike Vick!

Last edited:
And Cassel came close to beating out a two time Heisman Trophy winner to be. Plus he's looked good in his limited playing time and has played for the best coach and behind a hall of fame QB for a few years. Of course he's not proven - duh - but he's as good a bet as many QB coming out of college at this point and would cost less.
i hope your right , what ive seen from him i think hes a good backup, and hes looked tentative, all the players you mentionrd showed flashes of brillace when they played, ive yet to see it from cassell i hope he proves me wrong, i see him getting blind sidded alot and running for his life in his limited playind time, if another team was to trade for him they would see the same thing on tape, plus the fact he hasnt got much experiece in college or the pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back