PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Our Game Plan Have Been Worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it the offensive game-plan that called for Brady's mechanics to totally fall apart under the pressure, and for him to be slightly off even when throwing the snap hitch and screens?

Despite his strong showing in the 2nd half of week one, he's still not close to 100% yet. There's both the psychological aspect of coming back from his first catastrophic injury, as well as the fact that he's brain is still adjusting to re-wiring of the nerve-signals he's getting from his knee.

Oddly enough, I think we can expect the Pats' '09 offense to progress kind of like the '08 offense did as Cassell got more comfortable.

Did the offensive coordinator just phone it in? It has been a very long time since I have seen such misuse of talent by the offensive coordinator. And yes, Josh had bad days, but not for lack of trying.

We used the same offensive formation for all but one play.
We underused the running game and except for one play didn't use 2 TE's.
We have an injured, recovening quarterback who we expect to pass 50 times a game.
======================================================

You'd never know that we have the following improvements from 2008:
1) Maroney back healthy.
2) Watson back healthy.
3) The addition of Taylor.
4) The addition of Baker
5) The addition of Matthews.
=========================================================

Sure, we have Galloway instead of Gaffney, but the reality is that Galloway is a much better player, takes TWO defenders down the field with him, and he runs about a 4.3

Sure, we had ONE key player out. But Edelman did a fine Welker imitation and Moss has also looked great over the middle.
=====================================
Where's the real patriot offense? Where are the screens and draws and dump offs to running backs. Where are the two tight end sets. Where are the runs? I do understand that Brady is not effective deep. That is a problem that can be corrected later in the year, or not. We've won Super Bowls without Brady being effective deep. We've also won games with Brady as gunslinger, with a running back and two tight ends protecting the franchise.
======================================
Other than the lack of a fullback, the front office has given the offense all it could have hoped for.

I bolded the last statement to highlight one of the main problems with the offense. This lack of a FB is a manifestation of Bill's suicidal disregard for a cold-weather, outdoor, clock-killin' power running game crucial for winning PO games in January & Febuary.

All of the above improvements are also true, but is of no use if the OL is deteriorating to a point where holes are not opening and pockets are not holding. But how are we supposed to know if the OL can support a running game if the run is abandoned so quickly, or forgotten entirely? And the coaches are not doing the OL any favors by only using formations and play-calls which the opponent has seen a thousand times already. The lack of innovation, imagination & inspiration is shockingly obvious.

When you have Brady, Moss, Galloway, Taylor, Maroney, Faulk, Watson, and Edelman on offense, Welker missing a game should NOT make a huge impact. It's just ridiculous to think that this offense looked so bad yesterday.

you are correct sir.....just a horribly coached game by BB and OC........just horrible and embarrassing execution by our offensive squad.....worst play in many years.......

I have been under the impression that we don't have a game plan. I thought we work from 120 possible plays or something like that. Don't they decide on the plays as the meetings go along all week getting it down to "X" possible plays?

With the clusterfvck in the coaching ranks and the dearth of talent in the roster, I am amazed anyone expected this team to win a game.

Well, they already lucked into one, so we can at least hang our hats on that. :eat2:

IMHO, I think BB did not play all his cards yesterday. Staying with one formation, not playing Welker. These are things that you have to have when playing a team like the Jets. Even Ryan said himself he was happy not to see Welker out there. Next game we should have Welker, Edleman, and a much more fluid game plan to battle the blitz happy Jets.

OK, I'll bite. Why didn't Bill hold back yesterday, especially after half-time?

IMHO, I think BB did not play all his cards yesterday. Staying with one formation, not playing Welker. These are things that you have to have when playing a team like the Jets. Even Ryan said himself he was happy not to see Welker out there. Next game we should have Welker, Edleman, and a much more fluid game plan to battle the blitz happy Jets.

Welker being out was huge..I dont think we have so many 3 and outs and missed redzone td's if he was there.

The ball that went through Edelman's hands late in the 2nd is caught by Welker unless the camera angle was bad and that throw was off target. It looked like it went right through his hands.

What was the deal with the armbands? Did we have to figure out signals because of crowd noise?

I don't know why Edelman's production makes anyone believe that he is close to being one of the very best slot receivers in the NFL. I watched every snap he's played and I haven't a clue. He is a fine prospect and a fine addition. He also great to have when Welker is not available. If Welker is back, I expect Edelman to be inactive again.

Some think that folks in Boston would really like to have a star white receiver.

Some cannot imagine any other reason for thinking that Edelman should be considered almost as good as Welker.

And yes, of course, I agree that we shouldn't consider race in evaluating players. However, I would note that there are folks in Boston (and in the Boston area) who consider race in considering who they root for, a consideration in choosing their favorite player. I recall the first time the Celtics had all black players and how many bars stopped have the game on.

For example, I think folks are kidding themseleves if they think that Brady would be as popular in Boston if he were a black quarterback. Heck, there a still folks who think that Larry Bird was the best basketball player ever.

You were old enough to go into bars the first time the Cs had all-black starters? :cool:

I understand why you get crotchety at times, Grandpa. :D

could it have been worse yes they could have blitz a lot

and we could of seen are DB who we think is the strength of the D get burned for 4 TD by a rookie QB

brady could have forced the ball deep a few more time and thrown 4 INT

1-0 at home in a come back win in the division

0-1 on the road in the division

they could have been 0-2 in the division

it can all was get worse lets hope it gets better

Last edited:
we all fell in love with the 2007 offense which put up 40 pts for the first half and gradually slowed. there used to be a time that pats would for sure win these kinda games with injuries and all stacked against them with people like mike cloud running for TD's. Now we complain about no welker.
since 2007 its been a brady driven offense, before that brady had many bad offensive games like the 9-6 wins against clevelnad but we still won them with our resourcefullness...
its not the same now...just a lot more fancy offense which looks good and i may get flamed for this - makes brady happy that he can throw so much..

The lack of running with this many solid running back puzzles me. It would seem that with the Jets selling out continually on pass rushing, that you could bust a seem and be off to the races with the running game. You'd also prevent the Jets from pinning back their ears and rushing the passer, as they know the Pats most likely will not run. Finally, it would open up the passing game.

It's bizarre to me that they throw the ball almost 50 times in a close game like that. I assume our offensive linemen know how to run block, no?

Yes, the game plan could have been worse. As bad as it was, and as poor a job of adjusting that seems to have been done, it could have been even worse.

what goalline every play?

The lack of running with this many solid running back puzzles me. It would seem that with the Jets selling out continually on pass rushing, that you could bust a seem and be off to the races with the running game. You'd also prevent the Jets from pinning back their ears and rushing the passer, as they know the Pats most likely will not run. Finally, it would open up the passing game.

It's bizarre to me that they throw the ball almost 50 times in a close game like that. I assume our offensive linemen know how to run block, no?

Agree with this. You have Maroney, Taylor, Morris & Faulk already, and BJGE was active this week as well, and then you don't run the ball???? And especially with literally every defensive play from the Jets being a blitz??

Something went badly wrong in the planning for this game.

I agree the gameplan was one-dimensional.
I also will never understand why Kevin Faulk didnt play more and get more passes thrown his way. Is there ever a reason to take that OUT of the gameplan?

-- FRITZ

If welker had played he would have had around 15 catches for around 150 yards

Im fed up with people saying Edleman was really close to welker, the fact of the matter is the only reason people are saying this is because he's white, and plays the slot. I saw a few times moss was yelling at him cause he lined up wrong. Welker is MUCH better than Edleman. Better everything. Welker gets open and catches passes that edleman doesn't.
Actually it's because they are using him in teh same way as they use Welker...I think THAT is more the reason...Of course Welker is better I would hope after 5 seasons he would be..Edelman is a rookie learning..and he did do quite a credible job in Welker's absence.

It's sometimes hard to say it's a gameplan when the team doesn't execute like they did...If they had esecuted..would the plan have been successful? And yes it could have been worse..

OK, I'll bite. Why didn't Bill hold back yesterday, especially after half-time?

He didn't hold back after half-time? What I'm saying is he hasn't installed the entire playbook on the team. It's a long season and he knows if he runs all his plays now teams will be able to read their plays better during the year. It's a long season.

The offense has pretty well come back intact. The OL line is the same. Sure there are a couple of new faces, but ZERO new starters other than Baker who shares time with Watson.

If the offense doesn't know the whole playbook, then Belichick needs to hire better coaches.

Sure a player or two (Galloway) might need a bit of time to learn the offense, but the offense playbook should have been learned by now.

He didn't hold back after half-time? What I'm saying is he hasn't installed the entire playbook on the team. It's a long season and he knows if he runs all his plays now teams will be able to read their plays better during the year. It's a long season.

The offense has pretty well come back intact. The OL line is the same. Sure there are a couple of new faces, but ZERO new starters other than Baker who shares time with Watson.

If the offense doesn't know the whole playbook, then Belichick needs to hire better coaches.

Sure a player or two (Galloway) might need a bit of time to learn the offense, but the offense playbook should have been learned by now.

BB has scornfully spoken about Pitt in the past about how they run the same stuff every year and how teams need to change as defenses adapt to stay ahead of the curve.

NE offenses are always a work in progress at the beginning of the year.

Aside from that, NE moved the ball almost at will against Buffalo and struggled against NY when they wanted to run the spread but 2 of 3 WRs were newbs.

Patience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft