PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could be a bad day for Flacco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to believe it, but it's hard to overlook the unpredictability of every game in this year's playoffs. You never know what's going to happen.

My theory (and I admit I haven't heard anyone else say this so I'm probably wrong) is that wind favors Flacco more than Brady.

My reasoning is that Brady runs a precision passing game, and wind has been known to cause problems with that. On the other hand, Flacco is known for his arm (so he could possibly power the ball through the wind better), but more importantly Flacco's long game consists mainly of flinging the ball up there and letting his receivers go for it. I think his receivers may well be able to adjust to the windblown balls better than we think.

brady...short passer...flacco...deep high arching passer.....wind will hurt flacco..not brady

Hope it turns out to be THIS old Tracy movie...

Attachments

• Bad_Day_at_Black_Rock_Rhino_RHM2_7765.jpg
    Bad_Day_at_Black_Rock_Rhino_RHM2_7765.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 150
Flacco has a lot in common with Eli, including the girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. That is when they are good they are very very good, but when they are bad they are horrid.

I have a hard time equating Flacco's performance this season with either consistency or being elite. He was one game over .500 on being average or above (ie > or = 50.0 QBR) and also had two of three worst QBR scores out of all quarterbacked games (total of 513 games listed) with 0.2 and 0.3. So he is closer to Joe "nadir" than he is to Joe Namath.

But you never know, his confidence is back and he may be very good tomorrow. It all depends on which way the ball curls.

My theory (and I admit I haven't heard anyone else say this so I'm probably wrong) is that wind favors Flacco more than Brady.

My reasoning is that Brady runs a precision passing game, and wind has been known to cause problems with that. On the other hand, Flacco is known for his arm (so he could possibly power the ball through the wind better), but more importantly Flacco's long game consists mainly of flinging the ball up there and letting his receivers go for it. I think his receivers may well be able to adjust to the windblown balls better than we think.

Flacco's 50 yard high arching rainbows will be more affected than Brady's 15-20 yard bullets. If Flacco's get hit by a 20+ mph gust at it's highest point they could be blown WAAAAY off course, either blown totally out of play or picked off by someone who wasn't even covering the intended receiver IMO

brady...short passer...flacco...deep high arching passer.....wind will hurt flacco..not brady

Exactly. Brady fires the short and intermediate passes as hard as anyone in the NFL. I've rarely seen wind have much of an effect on them. However, someone throwing long, high passes will potentially see them impacted by the wind. Those long passes are much more likely out of Baltimore.

Actually, the real key is this:

If Vontae Leach and Bernard Pierce cannot play today, Ray Rice will be an as unprotected and overused sacrifiecial lamb as RGIII and even more pressure would be on Flacco's shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News