PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Contracts to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.
My offseason thoughts, using Miguel's page:

-Currently about 4 million over.

- Devin McCourty- I think he's good but I'm not as impressed as the pundits seem to be. Maybe it's the defensive scheme but I don't see him around the ball on the important plays as much as I seem to have noticed elite safeties. I would hope the Pats can sign him for 7-8 million a year.

-That leaves about 12 million over, not assuming the Pats can make the McCourty deal more cap friendly.

-Revis wants to be paid, I think we can do it for a 13-14 million cap hit per year like Peterson, if not less for a Winning/Home Team Discount assuming he liked it here. That saves 11 million, making it a wash with the above.

-Savings of around 5 million with Mayo- either June 2nd cut reducing it from 10 million to 3.9 million, or a deal somewhere around that number. I think they can convince him based on him coming off an ACL/MCL as well as not many games played last couple years.

-2.4 million savings Amendola June 2nd cut- (3.6 --> 1.2 million)

-1.6 million savings Arrington traded or cut June 2nd (3.2 --> 1.6 million), I think Butler/Dennard can easily be as good in the slot. Watching him for the past few years I have to admit I don't get why he's called a great slot corner. He competes hard and I like him, but I think he's solid but not all that great.

-1 million savings Hoomanwanui June 2nd cut

-That leaves some savings that will happen with Wilfork. I think they bring him back, just not at 8.9 million. Worst case scenario they save 3.9 million with a June 2nd cut, but the Patriots have demonstrated how important the culture of a team is to winning, and Wilfork is crucial to that. I don't think and I hope they don't cut him.

-Sign and draft a solid offensive guard

Just my random thoughts. Like many of you I of course think Revis is absolutely key. In my opinion Chandler Jones is overrated- he doesn't seem to be able to bring consistent pressure like the best and most promising young pass rushers can. Hopefully he continues to develop, but I hope the Pats can find a veteran willing to come for a one year, Play on an Elite Winning Team Deal.

Otherwise, I do think we're in great shape, and no matter what as it stands we're in great cap shape. Revis' number no matter what won't be 25 million, and I think at the most 14 million based on the deals of Patrick Peterson, etc.

As per Miguel's correction of me, there are some cap hits that can't be reduced past a certain point.

2015 New England Patriot Offense (24 minimum)

Quarterback (2) - Brady (38), Garoppolo (23)
Fullback (1) - Develin (27)
Halfback (4) - Blount (28), Bolden (25), xxxxx, xxxxx
Tight End (3) - Gronkowski (26), Hoomanawanui (27), xxxxx
Wide Receiver (5) - Edelman (29), LaFell (28), Slater (30), xxxxx, xxxxx
Offensive Center (2) - Stork (24), Wendell (29)
Offensive Guard (3) - Kline (25), xxxxx, xxxxx
Offensive Tackle (4) - Solder (27), Vollmer (31), Cannon (27), Fleming (23)

() - player age as of September 10, 2015

Salary Cap Casualties:
Amendola (29) - "post June 1" cut

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Connolly (33), Ridley (26), Vereen (26)

On The Bubble:
Gaffney, Gray, Lewis, White, Wright, Boyce, Dobson, Tyms

2015 NFL Draft - Offense

Halfback - 1
Offensive Guard - 2
Tight End - 1
Wide Receiver - 1 (if not 2)

More than that. He was benched for non-performance multiple times over the season, it seemed. Of course, we don't know how much of that was injury.
when is one time he was benched for performance this season? He missed two games due to injury but he never was benched for his performance

With the caveat that your post is a little bit off, since I had raised the possibility of undisclosed or unconfirmed injuries:
  • October Jets game.
  • Packers game.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/stats/2014/snaps/defense/
What exactly did he do to get benched in those games? You are suggesting that because his snap count was low against the jets that he must have been benched and so the patriots should cut him to save $1 million and accumulate 3 million in dead money. Can you actually think of a bad play he had in either game, I personally can think of several instances in which Arrington did a fantastic job shutting down his man all game long: Against the Chargers he held Eddie royal to two catches, Hilton in the playoffs AND in Indy, great game against the Bengals.

What exactly did he do to get benched in those games? You are suggesting that because his snap count was low against the jets that he must have been benched and so the patriots should cut him to save $1 million and accumulate 3 million in dead money. Can you actually think of a bad play he had in either game, I personally can think of several instances in which Arrington did a fantastic job shutting down his man all game long: Against the Chargers he held Eddie royal to two catches, Hilton in the playoffs AND in Indy, great game against the Bengals.

I'm not in the mood to deal with your aggression, your questionable reading comprehension, or your arithmetic errors, so I'm just going to let this part of the discussion go.

Priorities :

(CB)
1. Extend Revis - 5/75 . He is phenomenal , but everything has a limit.
2. Sign McCourty - 5/37

Revis - Chung - McCourty - Arrington - Browner
No need to draft anyone
Trade Dennard (cap space)
Renegociate Arrington´s contract if possible

(OL)
3. Extend Solder - 5/37

Solder - Cameron - Stork - Wendell - Vollmer

Use Draft #01 on Fleming ( OT/C/G).
Keep Connoly only with hometown discount or 1 year deal

(ST)

4. Extend Gostkowski 5/16

(DL)

5.Cut Wilfork . ( Love him but he is not even close to worth 8 million per year)

Siliga - Jones Branck -Draft #02
Use Draft# 02 choice to fill the space and spare part of the money left to sign Brach for 1 year.

(LB)

6. Restructure Mayo´s contract.
Use some of the money left to sign with Casillas.

Hightower - Mayo - Collins

(WR)

7. Renegotiate with Amendola.

(TE)

8. Cut Hooman. Use Draft #04.a to fill the void.

(RB)

9. Adios Ridley.
10. Vereen will be to expensive ( Biggest departure). Time to White step up. Use Draft#03.b on RB.

(DE)
11. Keep Ayers.We need to fill the gaps in the offensive line first this year.

I see the colts chasing Vereen hard this offseason, he would explode playing with Andrew Luck, and wouldn't be surprised if they cut Vinateri and go after our kicker again, if I was the colts, those are the moves I would be looking at.

I see the colts chasing Vereen hard this offseason, he would explode playing with Andrew Luck, and wouldn't be surprised if they cut Vinateri and go after our kicker again, if I was the colts, those are the moves I would be looking at.

Darren Sproles got 3/10.5 from Philly. Vereen's not as good as him. And, we can afford 3m. I'd go after Bradshaw if Indy signed Vereen. He's better than Vereen when healthy. Or, check in on CJ Spiller on a prove it type deal. Where he's got a lot more money in his second year. Does he want to count on EJ Manuel getting him the ball? Or, TB12??

Darren Sproles got 3/10.5 from Philly. Vereen's not as good as him. And, we can afford 3m. I'd go after Bradshaw if Indy signed Vereen. He's better than Vereen when healthy. Or, check in on CJ Spiller on a prove it type deal. Where he's got a lot more money in his second year. Does he want to count on EJ Manuel getting him the ball? Or, TB12??

Sproles has some mileage on him, people will view Verren higher because he is younger and we didn't run him that much. Trust me I would like to be to sign Verren for $3 million a year, but if he gets that, his agent sucks, or he is taking a discount to play here.

I'm not in the mood to deal with your aggression, your questionable reading comprehension, or your arithmetic errors, so I'm just going to let this part of the discussion go.
I apologize if I seemed angry, I am just curious as to why you think Arrington should be cut; there is little cap savings and other than his poor performance in the super bowl he has seemed to be solid all year. Is there something i'm missing?

I apologize if I seemed angry, I am just curious as to why you think Arrington should be cut; there is little cap savings and other than his poor performance in the super bowl he has seemed to be solid all year. Is there something i'm missing?

No worries!

The most favorable widely-held view of Arrington is that he excels as a slot CB but gets consistently burned on the outside. Also, he seems to have been game-planned onto the bench a couple of times even when the Pats played a lot of 3-CB sets, casting some doubt onto even his slot play.

Priorities :

(CB)
1. Extend Revis - 5/75 . He is phenomenal , but everything has a limit.
2. Sign McCourty - 5/37

Revis - Chung - McCourty - Arrington - Browner
No need to draft anyone
Trade Dennard (cap space)
Renegociate Arrington´s contract if possible

(OL)
3. Extend Solder - 5/37

Solder - Cameron - Stork - Wendell - Vollmer

Use Draft #01 on Fleming ( OT/C/G).
Keep Connoly only with hometown discount or 1 year deal

(ST)

4. Extend Gostkowski 5/16

(DL)

5.Cut Wilfork . ( Love him but he is not even close to worth 8 million per year)

Siliga - Jones Branck -Draft #02
Use Draft# 02 choice to fill the space and spare part of the money left to sign Brach for 1 year.

(LB)

6. Restructure Mayo´s contract.
Use some of the money left to sign with Casillas.

Hightower - Mayo - Collins

(WR)

7. Renegotiate with Amendola.

(TE)

8. Cut Hooman. Use Draft #04.a to fill the void.

(RB)

9. Adios Ridley.
10. Vereen will be to expensive ( Biggest departure). Time to White step up. Use Draft#03.b on RB.

(DE)
11. Keep Ayers.We need to fill the gaps in the offensive line first this year.

Revis and gotkowski are our only two must haves in the free agent, near free agent pool.

I have no problem cutting wilfork, mayo, and Arrington if need be.

I don't think bb brings back most of the other free agents unless on team friendly deals.

i would like to resign Connelly and rework solder.

Why would you do that? Cromartie is a lesser Browner

This thread has some seriously curious ideas of what a secondary should look like.

Arrington and Browner have considerably different benefits that make the secondary greater than the whole.

Seattle lucked out greatly because there was zero film on Matthews. It was problem that got corrected.

"He's just a slot CB......" comment is one of the most perplexing in football. Good slot receivers are one of the rages in the NFL. Anybody care to gather what the NFC East would do to have somebody who can cover Victor Cruz or the long haired slot guy in Dallas?

Every elite offense by definition will have a great slot guy.

Sorry but Cromartie may have had a better year then browner. Cromartie actually had a really good bounce back year. I just feel like Cromartie is more versatile then Arrington. He's pretty much a blend of Browner & Arrington if you ask me. Browner, Cromartie & Revis would offer up a much more versatile group of DB's. There wouldn't be a receiving core they wouldn't be able to comfortably match up with.

Who knows, Butler looked pretty bad ass during the Super Bowl. Just maybe, hopefully he's the real deal too. What a awesome story & find that would be. Only time will tell that one.

Don't get me wrong, my main grind with Arrington is his salary. I wouldn't want cromartie if we had to pay him more then 3 million. At the same time, id have a hard decision with who too choose if Arrington was willing to restructure to a similar price. The age factor is where Arrington makes ground.
However Denard is almost certainly gone. He has a base salary of 1.5 million with a dead cap of 12k dollars. If they can't find a trade, he will be cut. Hopefully we can get a 7th or something. That would be awesome.

Last edited:
No worries!

The most favorable widely-held view of Arrington is that he excels as a slot CB but gets consistently burned on the outside. Also, he seems to have been game-planned onto the bench a couple of times even when the Pats played a lot of 3-CB sets, casting some doubt onto even his slot play.

completely the way I feel.

Sproles has some mileage on him, people will view Verren higher because he is younger and we didn't run him that much. Trust me I would like to be to sign Verren for $3 million a year, but if he gets that, his agent sucks, or he is taking a discount to play here.

I personally don't think he is worth that much. He is a horrible running back, but amazing receiving back. When he runs the ball, he just runs as fast as he can at the first opening he sees until he falls down. way to one dimensional.

That is the KEY issue. Will Revis make Patriots be in a bidding war with Jets and Bills?

Patriots have till early-March to make the decision to pick up his $20million. Of course that is very prohibitive on the cap, so, I believe, either Revis wants a long-term contract with $$$ guaranteed at top dollar, or he will bolt to the other team. He got his ring and maybe $$ is now the #1 factor for him.

I doubt patriots will pay him $16m/yr. He is 30 yrs old soon, so how many yrs you give him? And how much $$/yr?

Remember, Patriots still need to sign a bunch of folks!

There can't legally be a bidding war, can there? If his agent is fielding offers from the other teams and relaying them back to Revis and the Patriots' we'll be rolling in their draft picks.

Revis is under contract for another year as it stands.

There can't legally be a bidding war, can there? If his agent is fielding offers from the other teams and relaying them back to Revis and the Patriots' we'll be rolling in their draft picks.

Revis is under contract for another year as it stands.
???

What you say is true until March 11th.

And if his agent doesn't know what Revis is worth on the open market, Revis should fire him. Revis has no reason to sign with the patriots because he isn't sure what he can get on the open market. If that is his concern, he can be a free agent on March 11th and find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back