PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Concepts some posters could benefit from learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds mostly good. how about we use the lines used on CBS Sportsline? I can post the the lines here when they come out (usually Tuesday or Wednesday), we need to post our picks by the first game of the week on Thursday

just let me know if you want to pick every game, or your favorite 10

$50 to the winner?

You can't bet here legally buddy. I think pride is good enough since the loser will have to face everyone here.

Why CBS sportline? I'd prefer the latest vegas line myself.

Sirrously. It'll be fun to see how the predictive model fares. Theoretically it will do as well as it does as a retrospective tool... You guys post this whole "John Henry" contest for the rest of us to watch, will ya?

PFnV

just to be clear, DVOA is not predictive, it is retrospective. but it can be used to predict games, just like "gut instinct and watching games" can be used.

I'm not mocking the other poster, there is clearly no 100% correct way to predict games...I'm just guessing I'll do better than the other poster.

and yes of course all picks will be public

Sirrously. It'll be fun to see how the predictive model fares. Theoretically it will do as well as it does as a retrospective tool... You guys post this whole "John Henry" contest for the rest of us to watch, will ya?

PFnV

We should probably start a separate thread on this moving forward.

You can't bet here legally buddy. I think pride is good enough since the loser will have to face everyone here.

Why CBS sportline? I'd prefer the latest vegas line myself.

well, CBS Sportsline is very very close to Vegas lines. the tourble with "the latest line" is that they will change after Wednesday or Thrusday or whatever, so if you want to make all your picks at once, we have to draw the line somewhere

ok, pride is fine

well, CBS Sportsline is very very close to Vegas lines. the tourble with "the latest line" is that they will change after Wednesday or Thrusday or whatever, so if you want to make all your picks at once, we have to draw the line somewhere

ok, pride is fine

We could have the loser donate the $50 to a charity...plus the pride.;)

here it is:

Palmers stat is Batting Wins: "this measures the number of wins a player added relative to the league average hitter". this reasonable and correctly measures the TOTAL contribution a player made in all his at-bats towards scoring runs/winning./ ie, his at bats from the first inning to the last. it's a good approach.

some further "clutch" studies have been based off the work of Batting Wins, but ONLY using the at-bats in "clutch situations". ie close and late or whatever.

so imagine a player that was the best in the league through innings 1-5, but poor in the late innings. his Batting Wins stat would be good, but a clutch study done using Batting Wins as the metric would rate him poorly.

understand now?

And since NO ONE INCLUDING Palmer and the guy that wrote the bogus article did a break down of late innings vs. early inning batting. Here is a DIRECT QUOTE from the article which I will use against itself and you and see if you can answer it....

" The Player Win Average is without doubt a perfect measure of which hitters (and pitchers) are winning and losing games. But its computation, with the requirement of an accounting for every situation in every game, is forbiddingly expensive even when the data are available, and quite impossible in general since play-by-play information is not saved by the major leagues"

So in summary his Conclusions DID NOT include any play by play and in FACT did not include ANY data of "clutch" situations because play by play was not available so the "author" had NO CLUE WHEN THE HITS HAPPENED!

Now back o his Yaz assertions....follow me if you can. Again DIRECTLY FROM THE ARTICLE...

"Yaz was the most consistently untimely hitter in the majors in 1969 and 1970
"

OK...but here is how he arrived at his conclusions of "clutch hitting"...again directly from the article...

"To summarize the discussion so far, both the PW A and the BWA are measures of overall batting skill. The PWA is a pure measure of clutch hitting. As its inventors say: "We have made the when the dominant factor. with no regard for the kind of what that happened." The BWA is pure measure of hitting quantity. Whether a particular home run is meaningless or Thomson-timely, it will still raise the everyday player's BWA by an identical three points. Thus a comparison of the PWA’s and BWA’s of players in the 1969 and 1970 seasons should provide considerable insight into the importance of clutch hitting.

My first comparison was to confirm a study by Pete Palmer, who had found that PWA's and BWA's are highly correlated. In fact, if one knows a player's BWA, one can predict his PWA with high accuracy using the following equation:

PWA = (BWA)*(1.37) + .484"

Yaz had the second HIGHEST PWA in MLB in 1970 (using the stats the "author" povided! So much fun using the "authors" mistakes against him and you!). So this geek totally contridicted himself. THE ONLY PLAYER with a higher PWA which the "author" claims is, "The PWA is a pure measure of clutch hitting" was McCovey. So Yaz was second best according to the stats he used.

Oh before you answer he qualifys his answer that if there, PWA varied from 1969 to 1970 then it was totally "luck" that they had a good PWA during one of those seasons. Yaz's PWA was still above most hitters in 1969 (even being 20+ games back a large par of the season and battling injuries) Yet the author is stating because it wasn't the SAME Yaz's "clutch" was luck not skill. Besides that fact he states Yaz wasn't clutch in 1970 during the PENNENT RACE..when he wasn't even in one and add to that he had the second highest measure of "clutch" according to the author in MLB for 1970 so where the F*ck does he get that Yaz was "untimely" in his hits in 1970? It is total BS. So explain this to me and I will have more faith in this guys "study". I have asked you this multiple times and you avoid it.

Lastly you used two "studies" that you claimed support your position. The first conducted in 1977 using stats from 1970 and earlier with NO PLAY_BY PLAY used since it didn't exist then in any form.

The second "study" was conducted in 2004 USING PLAY-BY-PLAY.

BOTH ARE YOUR LINKS!

1977 "study" on "clutch" Concludes.."Although I have established clearly that clutch-hitting cannot be an important or a general phenomenon"....really? Oh I forgot here is one of the closing senteces..."Maybe luck was the basis, the reputation of a Henrich or a Reese as a clutch hitter-but let me hasten to add that Henrich and Reese were certainly exceptional good hitters simply on the basis of the quantity of their hits, as we as, perhaps, the timeliness of their hits"

WTF?

The 2004 "study" on "clutch"...."However, it does appear that clutch hitting exists and that its importance has been generally underestimated."

So you have TWO STUDIES THAT YOU PROVIDED and they say exactly the opposite!

Of course the one study you want to believe DID NOT USE PLAY-BY-PLAY so you HAVE ZERO stats includd WHEN THE HIT HAPPENED pretty much invalidating the "study" completely...just a theory (Oh and a theory that PWA predicts "clutch" yet with Yaz having the second highest PWA in MLB in 1970 the "author" claims Yaz was one of the most "untimely hitters in 1970" So basically the "author" is saying he is full of ****)

The other study used PLAY-BY-PLAY so we know WHEN the hits happened and there is REAL proof, not theory on when hits happen and this author concluded that "clutch" is actually UNDERRATED and DOES EXIST.

In closing you say that "clutch" is OVERRATED.

The second study YOU linked to stated that "clutch" is UNDERRATED

You failed to answer this before...this second study totally invalidates your opinion. Why is this explain. You keep avoiding these questions and saying 3 or 4 posters are ignorant...sorry I PROVED THE ONE STUDY WAS BS and that the second study YOU USED on "CLutch" not only comes to the conclusion that "clutch" exist, that it is UNDERRATED! Which of course also blows your opinion out of the water aND SHOWS WHO IS "IGNORANT".

Admit it you are owned using your own links and ego.

Last edited:
It is not fear, it is utter DISLIKE of the personality type. Basically the type-A nerd trying to make himself feel a part of the football fan culture. The only ones willing to hang out and watch a game with them are other geeks...you know the type that likes to bring some stats to show their friends and maybe discuss some new Bill James insight at halftime.

They are loners.

Type A? You think football is too complex to be analyzed with statistics, yet you're completely ready to subscribe to a psychological model -- predicated, no doubt, largely on statistical co-presentation of similar personality traits -- that groups the human mind into Type A, Type B, or Type AB?

Uh, ok.

Anyway, the fact that you responded to my suggestion that there is no inherent conflict in your and makeway's viewpoints with cheap ad hominem attacks reveals the very "fear" of statistics and their use that you tried to deny.

ok, chatiry it is. also, I'm going to start a new thread now

MWH, I just read through your post history and what I read made me sick. Why do you post as if you know more than others on this board? Do you even know the proper technique for run blocking vs. pass blocking or blocking strategies against a 3-4 or 4-3 defense?

I'd seiously like you state for all of us here what your motive is on this board. And please explain why you post as if you believe you are some sort of expert here, when you're just another "Bozo on the bus" like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Those 'math nerds' built the real world internet you're using. Lots of statistics and math were involved.

I didn't say they were good for nothing, I've been on some righteous roller coasters that I have them to thank for. But, stats is problematic for many real world applications. Yet, stats people insist on fitting a hole with a square peg, and call it sound math because they qualify for variables. Well qualifying makes it impractical for many real world situations, where you need an answer that is more than possible.

Last edited:
Type A? You think football is too complex to be analyzed with statistics, yet you're completely ready to subscribe to a psychological model -- predicated, no doubt, largely on statistical co-presentation of similar personality traits -- that groups the human mind into Type A, Type B, or Type AB?

Uh, ok.

Anyway, the fact that you responded to my suggestion that there is no inherent conflict in your and makeway's viewpoints with cheap ad hominem attacks reveals the very "fear" of statistics and their use that you tried to deny.

I was simply stating my observations based upon personal experience. Do you disagree that most number fanatics are type-A? I am also saying I personally don't like most type-A people. they generally worry about their appearance & image too much and get haircuts every week and run around trying to tie up every loose end they can...but that's just my opinion.

Take it for what it is. I'm sure they don't like my random, spu of the moment behavior either. I just can't stand compulsive/obsessive driven lifestyles.

You failed to answer this before...this second study totally invalidates your opinion. Why is this explain. You keep avoiding these questions and saying 3 or 4 posters are ignorant...sorry I PROVED THE ONE STUDY WAS BS and that the second study YOU USED on "CLutch" not only comes to the conclusion that "clutch" exist, that it is UNDERRATED! Which of course also blows your opinion out of the water aND SHOWS WHO IS "IGNORANT".

here is what you don't understand this.

the first study found no evidence of clutch hitting. subsequent studies were able to find a little bit, or some evidence of clutch hitting, including one of the studies I linked to. this is what I have been saying all along, but you keep ignoring.

however, note 3 very important things:

1. neither study identifiied Yaz as a clutch hitter, in fact they both identified him at a choker
2. the ability to be a clutch hitter is a small one. the 2nd article quantifies it as perhaps a .285 hitter becoming a .300, but nothing like a .250 hitter becoming a .400 hitter. this is why they say that some previous studies had underestimated the ability, b/c most of them found even less evidence. but this does NOT mean that the ability is a large ones, it just means that it's more than they had ever found before
3. when the study was reran using more recent player data (1999-2003 iirc) there was no longer any statistical significance of the clutch hitting skill

all remaining NFL games through week 16. against the spread. or we can pick our favorite 10 or whatever games every week. my knowledge of football will matter little here, I'm just going off formulas built off of DVOA

The problem with stats is that those of us who rely on math don't feel comfortable with a math that is a propositon. Do we get to tar and feather you if you stats BS fails?

Why do people so obviously feel threatened by statistics?

Seriously, the emotional nature of the responses, from the very beginning, seems to me to be an entirely inappropriate reaction. This isn't the first time I've seen people who don't like stats respond aggressively to the very suggestion that there could be some wisdom gained by their study.

Seems to me that people's problem with statistics stems from a strange misconception that ceding any value to statistics means surrendering the entirety of your judgment to a statistical model. Nothing could be further from the case.

Any statistician worth his salt is entirely aware of just how limited any statistical model is. It is limited by the integrity and comprehensiveness of the data, and care needs to be taken about the assumptions made when interpreting it. At their best, statistics in sports are meant as a TOOL to aid your judgment, not a substitute for it. Nobody is suggesting that stats can or should replace scouting or "watching the games."

But a lot of things happen in every game. The human mind can't possibly keep track of every play of every game of every weekend. A statistical model can. Thus, stats, when scrupulously interpreted, can provide insight that is often counter-intuitive, and, when synthesized with scouting analysis, can provide a more complete picture of the reality of football than either tactic can alone.

No really it was the condesending attitude of the OP that turned me off and spouted off with things that ARE NOT TRUE whle pontificating about it.

Stats certainly have thier place and personally I have no problem using them to predict or read about them as they pertain to ACTUAL football situations.

A poster that starts a thread that belittles other posters and claims to invalidate thier experience and claim that "if it doesn't exist in numbers, then it doesnt exist at all."

I'm sorry but that is got to be one of the most ******ed statments of all time.

I pointed out to the OP several times the links he provided contridicted each other and one of the COMPLETELY DISAGREED with him yet he calls me ignorant and keeps his condesending act going by ignoring FACTS. That I have a problem with.

I played football at a pretty high level and also did with baseball though I was not a full time starter in baseball (though played a lot, but I platooned) and to discount other posters experiences while claiming superiority by using stats is beyond insulting.

Again if his "proof" did prove anything it would be something else but he simply will not acknowledge that one of his studies he linked COMPLETELY DISAGREES WITH HIM!!!!

Stats are fine in fact it is one of the things I read this board for including local news from back in Boston and those that break down line play and other things I a.) don't have time to and b.) read about such play from posters that know more than me on the subject.

The 100% stats geek I do have a problem with. Read his initital post and read my last post just before this one...you don't have to read the whole thread.

The problem with stats is that those of us who rely on math don't feel comfortable with a math that is a propositon. Do we get to tar and feather you if you stats BS fails?

sure, tar and feather it is

No really it was the condesending attitude of the OP that turned me off and spouted off with things that ARE NOT TRUE whle pontificating about it.

Stats certainly have thier place and personally I have no problem using them to predict or read about them as they pertain to ACTUAL football situations.

A poster that starts a thread that belittles other posters and claims to invalidate thier experience and claim that "if it doesn't exist in numbers, then it doesnt exist at all."

I'm sorry but that is got to be one of the most ******ed statments of all time.

I pointed out to the OP several times the links he provided contridicted each other and one of the COMPLETELY DISAGREED with him yet he calls me ignorant and keeps his condesending act going by ignoring FACTS. That I have a problem with.

I played football at a pretty high level and also did with baseball though I was not a full time starter in baseball (though played a lot, but I platooned) and to discount other posters experiences while claiming superiority by using stats is beyond insulting.

Again if his "proof" did prove anything it would be something else but he simply will not acknowledge that one of his studies he linked COMPLETELY DISAGREES WITH HIM!!!!

Stats are fine in fact it is one of the things I read this board for including local news from back in Boston and those that break down line play and other things I a.) don't have time to and b.) read about such play from posters that know more than me on the subject.

The 100% stats geek I do have a problem with. Read his initital post and read my last post just before this one...you don't have to read the whole thread.

I agree 100% and noted that Makewayhomers posts since he joined this board are both condescending and arrogant.

I now realize that he is the only one who stands to gain anything by my wager with him, so I'm going to withdraw my participation. The last thing I want to do is give more credance to an idiot!

I was simply stating my observations based upon personal experience. Do you disagree that most number fanatics are type-A? I am also saying I personally don't like most type-A people. they generally worry about their appearance & image too much and get haircuts every week and run around trying to tie up every loose end they can...but that's just my opinion.

Take it for what it is. I'm sure they don't like my random, spu of the moment behavior either. I just can't stand compulsive/obsessive driven lifestyles.

Of course I disagree that most stat guys are Type A, because there is no such thing as a Type A personality. The A/B/AB model is a long since obsolete model that has survived in popular culture only because it was adopted by HR consultants for business "team building" seminars.

The personality traits grouped into "Type A" don't correlate with one another any more than other, randomly selected, personality traits.

The huge generalizations you're making are entirely unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick