PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Complaining about refs is getting old

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you have coaches and front office people on the rules committee, what do you expect.

Hows comes the Pats don't have someone on the rules commitee? Or every team for that matter?

Last edited:
well than it's a really amazing coincidence that the Colts always get the calls in their favor in big games, and the teams playing the Colts always get B.S. calls AGAINST THEM. Maybe after 10 years everyone will finally start to notice it. Then it will still probably be just a coincidence though right?

It isn't that teams are getting called for holding and stuff more, but you honestly see refs make up calls and enforce rules that aren't enforced anymore to benefit the Colts. That is the scary thing. The refs make **** up. That's how you know it is all bull****. All they had to do was call more holding, but they are too ******* stupid so they call "faceguarding" when it is no longer a penalty and somehow try to make a Polamalu interception look like an incomplete pass.

If you ask me, not complaining about the refs is getting old.

The only solution to the problem is to change the PI penalty. At least make it reviewable and don't limit the number of reviews as long as you are winning 100% of them.

People complaining about the officiating being corrupt are ******ed. If they want to prove it right, I invite them to, but don't ask other people to prove a negative. How does Polian being on the competition comittee influence the refs? It's not like he has authority to fire officials. I've seen lots of bad calls, but it pretty much evens out over time.

The only solution to the problem is to change the PI penalty. At least make it reviewable and don't limit the number of reviews as long as you are winning 100% of them.

True, but the game could take forever. Otherwise, I agree with you, the refs are starting to do this in the last 2 minutes anyway. They'll review anything thats even close now, it seems.

Side note, Del Rio, who I think makes a minimum detrimental/bonehead coaching mistakes a game, called a time out in the last two minutes against Pittsburgh, right after a questionable reception by his team, I believe. So they overturn the positive play for Jax. So the refs got it right, but Jax should have ran a quick play and I don't think they would have had a chance to review it.

I guess my point is Del Rio is a bonehead, but back to the discussion that if you start reviewing everything you're gonna have these quick snaps, trying to trick the refs, not give the other teams a chance to throw the red flag. It just opens the door to a whole new type strategy.

Interesting thought though, Sieglo.

Last edited:
People complaining about the officiating being corrupt are ******ed. If they want to prove it right, I invite them to, but don't ask other people to prove a negative. How does Polian being on the competition comittee influence the refs? It's not like he has authority to fire officials. I've seen lots of bad calls, but it pretty much evens out over time.
How do you prove a negative? I think you have been watching too many Roger Clemens press conferences. How does someone on the rules committee influence refs? Are you serious? THEY MAKE THE RULES! Thats like saying the cook doesnt influence how your food tastes.

Of course there will be a bad call or two or three. That doesn't mean that the refs are biased in favor of the Colts.

It sounds like you're going into Sunday's game expecting the refs to be biased in favor of the Colts. This is exactly the kind of thinking that will lead you to think there's a real bias there, whether there actually is one or not. It's like when you believe beforehand that a psychic has supernatural powers, then you're already 95% of the way towards thinking that the reading he gives you is accurate.

I get your point, and I really don't believe there is a conspiracy. There can't be, the NFL would crumble. However, the game this year sticks out to me. Also the fact that Hobbs got called for another phantom PI in the same damn spot as the AFCG is mind blowing. We weren't even in the game but the Colts/Steelers game and the Polamalu call was the worst call I've ever seen.

While we're on the subject, I don't remember who we were playing, but did anyone ever figure out what "performing an unnatural act at the line of scrimmage is"?

How do you prove a negative? I think you have been watching too many Roger Clemens press conferences. How does someone on the rules committee influence refs? Are you serious? THEY MAKE THE RULES! Thats like saying the cook doesnt influence how your food tastes.
The rules are out in the open. They have nothing to do with corrupt officiating. What incentive can Polian give a ref to cheat?

Totally agree. Players are now starting to get in on the act, too.

It seems no NFL team has lost a game fairly in the last 5 or so years. There's always something blame, whether it's the refs, or a team supposedly heating kicking balls in snow games, or whatever. It's easier to say the game is fixed than to say the other team was better.

Where fans are concerned I put the blame on the explosion of message boards and talk radio. There are now so many places to talk smack, and to ridicule opposition fans, that when your team does lose you have three choices: bury your head in the sand until the week is over, say the game was fixed, or take defeat gracefully. One of the choices is too difficult for the majority of fans.

Oh, that's fair: You prove no positive, and require him to prove the negative of the non-existent positive.

We see where this belly-aching is headed.

Actually, I ask him to back up his statements. I never started this thread about officiating, I never made any claims about the state of the league being pure as Saint Dungy's chapel dome. He makes a claim and I ask him to prove it in the Colt's case.

Furthermore, I am simply exercising my right as a Pats fan to complain about the officiating as related to the Colts. That is what apriciss was trying to bait us into doing anyway, so I was complying. :D

As far as Polian having influence on the refs, he coaches them in the offseason about his hand picked points of emphasis. The refs are shown hours of footage over and over on what is considered a penalty. They are talked to and trained by the committee on these biased points of emphasis. How much Pats footage does Polian show the refs? I bet he uses as much as possible. I am willing to bet that Colts footage has NEVER been used to emphasize a penalty in the Polian committee. All of which are designed to make his particular brand of snotty indoor carpet football effective against traditional smash mouth outdoor teams.

When you watch Goodell tear us a new a@@hole in a first time offense for a procedural penalty about where we can stand while legally taping a game, and then ignoring the Jets completely while they do the same thing, and then ignoring the fact that the Colts and Titans fixed the outcome of a game which had playoff implications, it is not hard to question what goes on behind the scenes in this league. And the clever leaked footage to Fox Sports.

The rules are out in the open. They have nothing to do with corrupt officiating. What incentive can Polian give a ref to cheat?

When the same team(s) get the benefits of bad calls over and over, and/or the same team(s) are the victims of bad calls over and over, it becomes clear that either the law of averages really owes some teams a reckoning or something else is at play. You can call people ******ed all you want, but that doesn't change the reality about the Colts getting all the blown calls in their favor for the past several years, especially when those blown calls haven't been just against one opponent.

Why does New England consistently get hosed on blatantly missed pass interference calls, for example? How do officials in Colts games not see that a players FIRST foot came down clearly out of bounds? How do officials overrule a fumble by claiming a clearly valid catch was actually an incompletion?

Whether you like it or not, there's clearly a pattern of blown calls in big games that have skewed in the Colts favor. The question of "Why?" has not been answered.

Last edited:
The a sizable portion of the fans of every single team in the league are totally convinced that the refs have it out for their team. Many actually seem convinced that there's an actually conspiracy among the officials to help one team, or hurt another. It's ridiculous, and I'm tired of hearing it. You even hear it coming from players more and more lately.

Just think about it for a minute. Of course refs get calls wrong sometimes. Fans remember the ones that go against their team, and forget the ones that go in their favor. And not only do they remember the calls against their team, they tend to amplify in their minds the significance and severity of those calls.

There's no conspiracy. There's no agenda. The refs do the best they can... If you think certain officials are incompetent, well, that's matter than can be debated, but no one's actively trying to help or hurt one team or another.

When people get red in the face about how the refs stole the game, or gave it to the other team, they just look silly. And these arguments back and forth between fans of two teams who feel slighted by the refs... they're pointless and do nothing to foster productive conversation.

Okay... now feel free to unload on me about how the league and the on field officials obviously have an agenda against team X, Y, or Z. ;)

Appreciate your post. I don't have a problem with those that complain as much as you have a problem with it. Reading some of the posts here, there is alot to gripe about, if I'm being honest. Alot of good responses.

You know in years pasts, there were seemingly bad calls, but often the other side could be argued. What I noticed this year, is the calls or non-calls were plainly blown calls/lack of calls. There were two TDs taken back from Moss for pushing off, and he didn't push off. If you don't actually see a foul, you are not suppose to call one. Just as a general statement, a BB coached team that has their fewest penalties ever, and that same team has it's most penalty yards ever against the Colts doesn't pass the smell test. But, then when you re-watch the game, it's even worse, because so many fell into the category of "phantom calls". I work with a Colts fan who even said, "O.K., I have to admit, the refs had alot of horrible calls against you guys".

So, there seems to be alot of just griping going on, but the fact that it irks you, is totally cool IMO.

Last edited:
TGirl, come on. Please. We are the team that benifitted from the Tuck Rule, the rest of the fans out there are convinced we're cheaters who have Goodell on our payroll, and we're the team that did maul the Colts receivers in the 2003 AFCCG (we did maul them, and we did get away with the mauling and the officials did see it) and we're supposed to believe that Pollian has the officials on his payroll?

Can we just say that subjective viewpoints can make something out of nothing? The officials screw up, or they interpret things according to the book, and that's that. It all evens out over the years, but it's not working for me to hear the fans of a 16-0 team accused of cheating to whine about the officials. We have to realize that every fan in the NFL has something to whine about and it's turning into a whine-fest.

Let's just drop this officials thing and the Colts/Pollian thing unless somebody comes up with some proof of something. That proof, btw, will destroy the NFL.

1.) The tuck rule wasn't bad officiating, no matter how many times you or other fans from other teams try to claim it was. The very same official who made the initial call overruled himself when he saw his mistake. The rule was properly enforced, it wasn't the first time it had been called that season, and the rule has continued in effect to this day. In fact, the Patriots were hosed on that play because there should have been a 15 yard personal foul called for the blow to the head that Brady took.

2.) Again, whether you like it or not, the 2003 'mauling' was the result of playing to the way the rules were enforced, not blown calls. Just as baseball's strike zone is adapted to by players, so are calls in the NFL. This is why the Colts got that rule changed via the 'point of emphasis'.

Last edited:
When the same team(s) get the benefits of bad calls over and over, and/or the same team(s) are the victims of bad calls over and over, it becomes clear that either the law of averages really owes some teams a reckoning or something else is at play. You can call people ******ed all you want, but that doesn't change the reality about the Colts getting all the blown calls in their favor for the past several years, especially when those blown calls haven't been just against one opponent.

Why does New England consistently get hosed on blatantly missed pass interference calls, for example? How do officials in Colts games not see that a players FIRST foot came down clearly out of bounds? How do officials overrule a fumble by claiming a clearly valid catch was actually an interception?

Whether you like it or not, there's clearly a pattern of blown calls in big games that have skewed in the Colts favor. The question of "Why?" has not been answered.
You have't done any statistical analasys, you're just going by gut feelings. Do you watch EACH AND EVERY NFL game? Do you keep track of every blown call? Do you objectively decide whether said call was really blown? No, you're just suffering from selective vision. Every team has fans like you who think their team consistently gets hosed more than others. You think you have facts when all you have is strong feelings.

Last edited:
You have't done any statistical analasys, you're just going by gut feelings. Do you watch EACH AND EVERY NFL game? Do you keep track of every blown call? Do you objectively decide whether said call was really blown? No, you're just suffering from selective vision. Every team has fans like you who think their team consistently gets hosed more than others. You think you have facts when all you have is strong feelings.

I think you're right. I guess a lot of people think we get a lot of calls and it blows my mind seeing a Colt fan ever say they got hosed on a call. It goes both ways.

Of course, I didn't think LaClassian's Td would be upheld after review on Sunday so what the hell do I know?

It's all subjective. Go to the losing teams message board each week and you'll find a ton of posts on how <insert team name> got screwed ranging from grassy knoll conspiracies, to wow that was a horrible call at a key time, to the infamous PI or offensive holding calls or non calls.

It's all subjective selective memory based on who you are rooting for.

You beat me to it, yes, what he said!

I don't believe the refs are Favoring one team over another. They just get it wrong. Human error IS a factor.
I had a coach in High School who also was a AFL referee. He use to do some of the "Old Pats" games. (Walter Fitzgerald for anyone who's interested) He once told me about what was REALLY going on during the games. He said the games and players were sooo fast that it really was a "Split second" call they had to make. Often times like on a fumble, there would be players in the way blocking his vision. (So he would make a call on "what he last saw or thought he could see") I think even today the Replays Prove his point. Its not ALWAYS that even the camera gets the exact angle to make the correct call. (and even when they do, some of those calls are too hard to make)
I would like to see them do away with replay. The human factor should be a part of the game. If you believe in the Integrity of the refs than it will be all right.

Why does New England consistently get hosed on blatantly missed pass interference calls, for example? How do officials in Colts games not see that a players FIRST foot came down clearly out of bounds? How do officials overrule a fumble by claiming a clearly valid catch was actually an incompletion?

The question has been answered, IMO. :D

I don't think people understand that the competition committee coaches the refs in the offseason and has the constant ear of Mike Perrera, as well as handpicking what films to show them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back