PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Competition at Third String QB?

This whole discussion is moot because TB is now Bionic Brady and will be much more mobile and apt to run out of the pocket...... Like something out of a Sci-Fi show or movie.....

Seriously though, I think the Patriots will let Gut (who I like also) and Hoyer battle it out. May the better man win.....

A 3rd QB is NOT a developmental QB for the patriots.
The third QB most certainly is a developmental QB for the Pats. Has been for a few years.

Going into last year, O'Connell was the #3 QB and the developmental QB. The OPEN question is whether O'Connell is ready to play in case of an injury to Brady or in garbage time during the season. If the answer is "yes", then Gut, Edleman and Hoyer can compete for the #3 spot. If the answer is "no", then we need a veteran in the mix.

The third QB most certainly is a developmental QB for the Pats. Has been for a few years.

Going into last year, O'Connell was the #3 QB and the developmental QB. The OPEN question is whether O'Connell is ready to play in case of an injury to Brady or in garbage time during the season. If the answer is "yes", then Gut, Edleman and Hoyer can compete for the #3 spot. If the answer is "no", then we need a veteran in the mix.
Edelman: NE sent his car to the podium as a "WR." There is no QB in his NE future.

Well, they've felt that Cassel and Brady both needed exactly one year in the system to be the #2. . . .

Well, they've felt that Cassel and Brady both needed exactly one year in the system to be the #2. . . .

One thing different between the current quarterbacks and Brady and Cassel- Cassel and Brady had competition from veterans who had been in the league a while and who had started multiple games(Huard for Brady, Testaverde for Cassel) so it's not exactly the same situations for those guys...

Right...in which case O'Connell would be the 3rd, or developmental, QB. ;)

The question of O'Connell's readiness is certainly "OPEN" from where we sit, but perhaps not from the team's perspective. Their approach to the QB position in the offseason so far seems to suggest they're comfortable with him as the primary backup.

The position that most often is a draft loser is QB. Why? Because all they measure is athleticism and and arm strength. But 90% of QB play is played between the ears. It is a mental position, mostly immeasurable in athletic terms.

The most important need is leadership and POISE. Boyer had no receivers this year and his percentage of completions fell as dropped passes were everywhere. But he has POISE and still kept the team together, and didn't complain. One scout counted a game with 6 dropped passes in 15 attempts, so his accuracy stats are misleading.

His arm is not a cannon like Stafford's arm, but it looks at least as strong as Montana's, Brady's or Cassel's. So it is good enough. He also has another important ability. He cannot run, but he certainly does shuffle around the pocket as well as Montana and Brady, avoiding the sack and buying time. But Montana and Brady were not runners either. Most of all he has POISE.

I think the Pats have found another very good third string QB candidate, downgraded for poor results by his Team's deficiencies. Gutierrez should have a lot of competition for third string QB.

I agree with your comments. I also strongly hope that the team does indeed have the confidence in O'Connell to pencil him in as the primary backup at this point. However, I would note that Belichick did go after a veteran QB in free agency.

Right...in which case O'Connell would be the 3rd, or developmental, QB. ;)

The question of O'Connell's readiness is certainly "OPEN" from where we sit, but perhaps not from the team's perspective. Their approach to the QB position in the offseason so far seems to suggest they're comfortable with him as the primary backup.

Hoyer is in the mix in this roster fight. He will the opportunity to showoff his abilities to the coaches. So will Edleman and Gutierrez. As of now, I would favor Hoyer.

The position that most often is a draft loser is QB. Why? Because all they measure is athleticism and and arm strength. But 90% of QB play is played between the ears. It is a mental position, mostly immeasurable in athletic terms.

The most important need is leadership and POISE. Boyer had no receivers this year and his percentage of completions fell as dropped passes were everywhere. But he has POISE and still kept the team together, and didn't complain. One scout counted a game with 6 dropped passes in 15 attempts, so his accuracy stats are misleading.

His arm is not a cannon like Stafford's arm, but it looks at least as strong as Montana's, Brady's or Cassel's. So it is good enough. He also has another important ability. He cannot run, but he certainly does shuffle around the pocket as well as Montana and Brady, avoiding the sack and buying time. But Montana and Brady were not runners either. Most of all he has POISE.

I think the Pats have found another very good third string QB candidate, downgraded for poor results by his Team's deficiencies. Gutierrez should have a lot of competition for third string QB.

Last edited:
I agree with your comments. I also strongly hope that the team does indeed have the confidence in O'Connell to pencil him in as the primary backup at this point. However, I would note that Belichick did go after a veteran QB in free agency.

Was there? I remember there was one report claiming that he'd made an offer to a vet QB, but then that was debunked.

I think the QB was Ramsey and I didn't think that it was debunked.

Was there? I remember there was one report claiming that he'd made an offer to a vet QB, but then that was debunked.

I think the QB was Ramsey and I didn't think that it was debunked.
There were denials of the report of an offer.

Edelman is NOT in the QB competition, his final role has not yet been determined. His quickness & toughness makes him a project for slot receiver, but he may find himself in development behind Faulk or working on the other side of the ball at Nickelback. Sounds like he needs some ballet or other such training to develop his balance so he learns to keep his feet under him better on his cuts.

Folks thinking NE will be playing some Wildcat are ignoring the value of keeping the ball in the hands of the NFL's #1 weapon - Tommy Brady.

seems pointless since we have brady healthy again. brian hoyer is what i like to call a messy qb.

Andy Hart said:
Despite a short note in the Denver Post (and a subsequent blog item on Boston.com) indicating that former Broncos backup Patrick Ramsey is mulling a future that could include the Patriots, PFW has learned that is not the case.

The Patriots did reportedly host Ramsey for a visit at Gillette Stadium earlier this month, but there is no contract for Ramsey on the table.

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog Blog Archive Not so fast, Patrick

Folks thinking NE will be playing some Wildcat are ignoring the value of keeping the ball in the hands of the NFL's #1 weapon - Tommy Brady.
What an excellent point. Let's take the ball out of Tom Brady's hands and give it to Gomez Ledbetter.

WTF?

I would actually be a little surprised if 3 QBs are carried, unless the FO strongly fears that, based on his performance during TC, Hoyer would not make it to the PS.

Now if Edelman can prove his value at WR/Returner/3rd-Down Back, then he could serve as Emergency/3rd-String QB on the 53. Hoyer would then have to clear waivers on his way to the PS.

However, if Brandon Tate has to start the season on the PUP, then Edelman could be the 6th WR and Hoyer the 3rd QB.

But naming Hoyer the 3rd QB would leave STs one man short. This would likely effect Matt Slater's standing (no loss there), and possibly another backup DB/STer, e.g.: Ventrone, McGowan, Spann, Tank.

All of these scenarios are based on the ass-umption that Hoyer outplays Gutierrez, who might still have another year of PS eligibility remaining. I just don't see the team carrying both O'Connell & Gutz as Brady's backups, but as I've noted, I can maybe see the team carry both O'C & Hoyer.

Let the competition begin, and everybody stay healthy.

Don't you think that if the Patriots felt that O'Connell wasn't ready to step up that they'd have brought in a vet? I do. It what they've done in the past. They did it when Tom Brady was the developmental QB going into TC and he beat out Huard. They did it with Davey after Huard left. They did it with Cassel. Why do you think that they wouldn't continue that trend?

As for Edelman, if we see him in at QB, then there are even bigger issues for the Patriots. Edelman might be a QB for a gimick play, but not really anything else.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back