PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Competition at Third String QB?

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Matt Gutierrez doesn't do much for me. He hasn't done much, period. Why not drafting someone at QB?

I wonder if in the Patriots war room the same sort of discussion is taking place. How about Brian Hoyer if he's still there at 23 in the seventh round?

But I think he'll be grabbed just a few places before that. We'll have to move forward if we're interested in him or someone else, but I don't know who else that could be.

One of the ESPN guys called Hoyer "a poor man's Mark Sanchez." If his star receiver Devon Thomas had stayed in school last year Hoyer likely would have been long gone by now. Sounds like a pretty good developmental project to me.

But then again I'm biased. Michigan-based QB's have been good to the Patriots. I predict he'll go #21 with the Eagles unless we act.

It'll be Julian Edelman from Kent State. It must suck to be Brian Hoyer of the Big Ten right now.

It'll be Julian Edelman from Kent State. It must suck to be Brian Hoyer of the Big Ten right now.

At least he has a fairly cute GF. Things could be worse. ;) He might get a UDFA camp invitation from someone, who knows.

I would have drafted a QB once we started at 5C with the throwaway picks. From 5C on is a good time to draft backup quarterbacks, returners and punters. I was surprised that we chose Edelman, but am glad that we now have Hoyer.

We now have two QB's to compete sith Gute for the #3 spot that Gutierrez did NOT win last year.

Matt Gutierrez doesn't do much for me. He hasn't done much, period. Why not drafting someone at QB?

I wonder if in the Patriots war room the same sort of discussion is taking place. How about Brian Hoyer if he's still there at 23 in the seventh round?

But I think he'll be grabbed just a few places before that. We'll have to move forward if we're interested in him or someone else, but I don't know who else that could be.

One of the ESPN guys called Hoyer "a poor man's Mark Sanchez." If his star receiver Devon Thomas had stayed in school last year Hoyer likely would have been long gone by now. Sounds like a pretty good developmental project to me.

But then again I'm biased. Michigan-based QB's have been good to the Patriots. I predict he'll go #21 with the Eagles unless we act.

FWIW, Gutierrez was also a Michigan QB before his shoulder injury.

Gutierrez was not about to win against O'Connell last year, and obviously, losing out on the backup spot to Matt Cassel should be no great shame.

Hoyer and Edelman have their work cut out for them, IMO, because Gutierrez--at the very least--knows the offense.

Roster spots are tight, as they are most years. Goot could be competing against other positions too.

Last edited:
I doubt Eldeman plays QB for us. I see him as a Wr/Rb. And if he does play qb for us Im guessing it's going to be on the practice squad running the Wildcat to help us prepare for Pat White twice a year.

Gutierrez was not about to win against O'Connell last year, and obviously, losing out on the backup spot to Matt Cassel should be no great shame.
But let's not lose sight of the fact that the Patriots cut Gutierrez and no other team saw value in him to pick him up.

Lucky for us, because he was still available when Brday got hurt or we would have had to get an aging vet backup.

I like Gute. He is servicable and steady, and a decent #3.

It will be a good competition between him and Hoyer, but I'm hoping that Hoyer will win because it will mean he is better than merely servicable and steady.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that the Patriots cut Gutierrez and no other team saw value in him to pick him up.

I don't see how that means anything. Hes a player who has had very little playing time, and other teams aren't watching the patriots practices.

Brian Hoyer has a decent arm for the NFL, a tremendous work ethic, and has shown he can win games surrounded by mediocre talent.

If his star receiver hadn't come out early, Devin Thomas, you're definitely looking at a guy who would have put up bigger numbers. The ESPN crew mentioned how many dropped passes his young receiver corps experienced last year.

The knock on Hoyer is he will miss the easy throw and make the ridiculous one. And in pressure situations he can act impulsively and make errant decisions.

But Matt Gutierrez is in for a battle at the number three spot. I predict Hoyer can beat him out at some point. Having signed, can he still be placed on the practice squad?

Lucky for us that Gut was available, otherwise Rattay might have had a year in our system and be a reasonable #3 at this point. Is that why we are so lucky?

Lucky for us, because he was still available when Brday got hurt or we would have had to get an aging vet backup.

I like Gute. He is servicable and steady, and a decent #3.

It will be a good competition between him and Hoyer, but I'm hoping that Hoyer will win because it will mean he is better than merely servicable and steady.

But Matt Gutierrez is in for a battle at the number three spot. I predict Hoyer can beat him out at some point. Having signed, can he still be placed on the practice squad?

Yes, he can. If the Pats like him. The reason BJGE can't return to the practice squad is that I believe he got too many minutes at the NFL level or something of that nature. That wouldn't apply to someone fresh out of college.

Brian Hoyer has a decent arm for the NFL, a tremendous work ethic, and has shown he can win games surrounded by mediocre talent.

If his star receiver hadn't come out early, Devin Thomas, you're definitely looking at a guy who would have put up bigger numbers. The ESPN crew mentioned how many dropped passes his young receiver corps experienced last year.

I'm glad we picked him up,he seemed so poised during the draft as he watched everybody go but him; I felt badly for him. I think it was Kiper who said he's shown promise reading the field,able to focus in on who's open and did a nice job throwing to where he believed his WR would end up,then they showed a clip of him nailing one in just the right spot.

No idea if he'll win a spot here but I'm glad he's getting the opportunity. It must be a very humbling experience to sit and wait for 2 whole days and not get drafted or get drafted at the bitter end,must be a bit of a character-builder :eek:

Lucky for us that Gut was available, otherwise Rattay might have had a year in our system and be a reasonable #3 at this point. Is that why we are so lucky?
Because we might have ended up with Rattay?

There were several veterans available. To bolster Cassel's confidence, none was hired. And yes, I would much rather have Rattay or Grossman or any of another half-dozen veterans as the #3 QB instead of Gut, especially with a year's experience in our system. Belichick tried and failed to get Ramsey this year. A 3rd QB is NOT a developmental QB for the patriots. We already have one of those.

Because we might have ended up with Rattay?

I don't see how that means anything. Hes a player who has had very little playing time, and other teams aren't watching the patriots practices.

No, they were watching their preseason games. His play in the preseason games must have shown them something that they didn't need or want for their offense.

There were several veterans available. To bolster Cassel's confidence, none was hired. And yes, I would much rather have Rattay or Grossman or any of another half-dozen veterans as the #3 QB instead of Gut, especially with a year's experience in our system. Belichick tried and failed to get Ramsey this year. A 3rd QB is NOT a developmental QB for the patriots. We already have one of those.

We never had an offer on the table for Rattay. That was just a ploy to drum up interest. Grossman is an experienced veteran waste of time and money. Why you crave that player behind Brady year after year is beyond me.

Gutz is the 3rd stringer and scout team QB here until someone with better developmental potential unseats him. And if they don't immediately maybe they could make it to the PS where it would be nice to have a developmental player at the position for a change.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back