PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Competition at CB for the Patriots Will Be Intense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really surprised that they didn't bring back Tarell Brown. I thought he played really well up until his injury. Maybe 30+ year old CBs with historical foot problems isn't the best way to go about filling out the CB position but I thought he showed well

Regardless, I really like this secondary. Lots of quality depth at the S and CB positions with potential for young guys like Richards, Butler and Roberts to take that next step. I was pleasantly surprised at Ryan's performance in year 3 but I would not be surprised to see Roberts take his spot as the season progresses. Kid has a ton of potential and showed really well last year in TC.
It Brown stays in shape and is available, I could see BB bringing him in later in the season.

I was really surprised that they didn't bring back Tarell Brown.

Just any FYI Pats and Brown had mutual interest last year for a couple of months and Brown didn't sign until just before TC.

Could be the case this time too, where Brown just doesn't want to go through OTAs and Mini-Camp and sticks to his own off-season workout and then signs prior to TC.

I was really surprised that they didn't bring back Tarell Brown. I thought he played really well up until his injury. Maybe 30+ year old CBs with historical foot problems isn't the best way to go about filling out the CB position but I thought he showed well

Regardless, I really like this secondary. Lots of quality depth at the S and CB positions with potential for young guys like Richards, Butler and Roberts to take that next step. I was pleasantly surprised at Ryan's performance in year 3 but I would not be surprised to see Roberts take his spot as the season progresses. Kid has a ton of potential and showed really well last year in TC.

They waited until pretty late last offseason to sign Brown, and that was before he reinjured himself and got a year older.

They waited until pretty late last offseason to sign Brown, and that was before he reinjured himself and got a year older.
He had also just re-injured himself and got a year older when they signed him last time.

First, every position should have some competition for backup roster spots.
==========
We have our starters from last year in Butler and Ryan. We drafted a nickel back with our first pick. Barring injury, these 3 should get 90% of the reps at corner.
==========
THE COMPETITION
is for the one or two backup roster spots. And yes, here there is real competition, and almost anyone could make the 53, including a free agent to be added later.

Maybe Roberts will be the best patriot coming back from spending his rookie season on IR since Ben Watson, maybe not.

Perhaps Coleman has a future, perhaps not.

One of the UDFA's may sneak in, or not. The Practice Squad should have 2 corners.

He had also just re-injured himself and got a year older when they signed him last time.

That can't make him look any better this time around, though.

Yeah, I think he did all he could last year with the foot, but it never got right.

Disagree. They should always be looking at both. No reason those are mutually exclusive.

Agreed. No one, even Brady, is above the team. I don't want to end up like the Broncos in a cap hell and having crappy drafts or watching all my good draft picks flee in a mass exodus because my GM didn't budget and draft properly.

Agreed. No one, even Brady, is above the team. I don't want to end up like the Broncos in a cap hell and having crappy drafts or watching all my good draft picks flee in a mass exodus because my GM didn't budget and draft properly.
I agree.

However, it is difficult to fault the DEN policy to load the team for the Manning years. The policy lead to a Super Bowl.

Roberts will be starting by Week 4.:D

I think trading Logan Ryan is not out of the question.
I suspect he will be cut. I doubt we could trade him but.....teams are desperate for CBs so who knows. Roberts will be a starter....

We'll have to disagree because I don't think they should make any moves that weaken them for the coming season.
No disagreement on that. I just don't want them to sell out the next several years going all in on a one year run. Too many things can go wrong. If they take the long view I believe that the short term will naturally benefit. Seems to me that's the kind of thinking behind BB's better a year too soon than a year too long with a declining player.

seems like a pattern may be emerging. not one that I find encouraging...

• Agree
Reactions: jah
I agree.

However, it is difficult to fault the DEN policy to load the team for the Manning years. The policy lead to a Super Bowl.

they were the luckiest bastards alive (so many close or lost games turned to W by some lucky strike in regular season). but yes - at the end it paid off - but ironically - it was manning almost costing them

id love the one for the thumb for Tom but i like it even more that he has to get it on his act

statistic is a whore goes our saying. when you discuss about his greatness you have to look at what he had to work with - and how he dealt with that - as a player and as a person. he (and we) can be proud.

That's quite a jackpot of free agent signings. There were s few other signings in 2001 that were less spectacular, but made the roster. For example, at WR the Pats brought in: Torrence Small, Charles Johnson, and Bert Emanuel.

Point is they brought in a a ton of relatively cheap free agents and out of that competition, some real gems were found.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes