PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Competition at CB for the Patriots Will Be Intense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect he will be cut. I doubt we could trade him but.....teams are desperate for CBs so who knows. Roberts will be a starter....

Ryan has a little more value than that but he does have a $1.8m cap hit and they save approx $1.65m if they cut him.

That said he was a steal last year at that salary

Agreed. No one, even Brady, is above the team. I don't want to end up like the Broncos in a cap hell and having crappy drafts or watching all my good draft picks flee in a mass exodus because my GM didn't budget and draft properly.

Not meaning to place your comment under a microscope because I agree with your general thought, but I'm not sure that I'd place Denver in the category of "cap hell," or really anything close to it.

We're talking about a team who currently has more available money than we do for the upcoming season (with 7 more players under contract), and currently has 70m dollars in available cap space for 2017 (with 14 more players under contract). If you want to look even further ahead into 2018, they are in similar position to us yet again, but this time they have 20 more players under contract. If the Broncos are in so-called "cap hell," then I don't know where that puts us.

They also hosted the AFCCG and went to the SB in 2/3 past years, so there's that...

I think sometimes fans get "business decisions" mixed up with "cap hell." There are going to be tough decisions that will need to be made every single year, and they are no different than teams like NE, BAL, etc. Just because they choose to prioritize certain players over others doesn't necessarily mean that they are in poor financial shape.

We're talking about a team who currently has more available money than we do for the upcoming season

They have $1.2m more available. So let's not act like they have $15-$20m available or something.

They have $1.2m more available. So let's not act like they have $15-$20m available or something.

And? How exactly does that place them in "cap hell?" They also have 7 more players under contract, so you can bump the total (which is irrelevant) up another few million or so, which would pretty much double our current available space.

The point is that they have more money vs. signed players than we do for the next 3 seasons. That's hardly the definition of cap hell, unless we're in it even worse.

Last edited:
I expect the top of the depth chart to be pretty straight forward. The interesting battle will be for the number 5 and 6 corner. I also interested to see if Jones can become our number 3 and beat out Coleman and Roberts.

Reading the tea leaves....

Butler
Ryan*
Roberts
Jones
Coleman
UFA

*potentially traded

That's a pretty solid group right there, I think. Butler is a true #1 CB. Ryan graded out as one of the better corners in the NFL last year. Roberts and Jones have tons of potential. Coleman seemed to be pretty decent as a 5th guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes