Young CBs Impress in Patriots' First Preseason Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Young CBs Impress in Patriots' First Preseason Game

Lee Schechter

The Patriots have one of their deepest 90-man rosters in recent history and the carefully constructed cornerback group is impressing, too.

Continue reading...

One CB I was not impressed with last night was Coleman. He got beat a ton by Thomas and Cooks, though to be fair that's tough competition. He belongs inside as a dime back IMO.

One CB I was not impressed with last night was Coleman. He got beat a ton by Thomas and Cooks, though to be fair that's tough competition. He belongs inside as a dime back IMO.
Agreed. I'm not trying to beat him up too much but if you had to pick out one of the DBs as looking rather weak it was Coleman.

How has he been doing in camp compared to Cyrus Jones? I'd put him at #4 behind Jones but I don't proclaim to be an expert.

The long completion the Cooks against Coleman was great coverage but an even greater pass. Brees threw that ball perfectly.

The long completion the Cooks against Coleman was great coverage but an even greater pass. Brees threw that ball perfectly.
I was just worried initially that Butler was the one who got beat on that coverage. I was relieved to see it was just Coleman.

Quick side note - this is the same Lee Schecter formerly of ESPN Boston. He likes our site and wanted to contribute, and while I don't know how much or how often he'll be doing so, it's good to have him on board. :cool:

I didn't read much on roberts? Did he play?

Pretty much the whole defense was swarming and looked great last night. A bunch of young players stood out. I'm wondering, however, if the good pass rush was making the Cornerbacks jobs look easier. For the record, I thought Roberts played poorly. He doesn't seem to turn around and play the pass.

Roberts seemed to be in good position, if he had just turned to look. I think he got spooked that the ball was arriving, and so he tried to break up the pass. He just panicked a bit, but I think he's still got time to improve.

Yes, he had a PI called against him. Too late recovering and didn't get his head around in time.

I figured he was inducted into the Hall of Fame without the necessity of a career. What a difference a year makes.

The secondary is definitely one position, barring injury, that I am unconcerned about. They look like a solid unit overall. The D looks like a solid unit overall. Hey, remember the years when people were saying the game passed the defensive genius by? LOL

Roberts seemed to be in good position, if he had just turned to look. I think he got spooked that the ball was arriving, and so he tried to break up the pass. He just panicked a bit, but I think he's still got time to improve.

It's been almost a year since he played in any kind of a game, so that does kinda make sense. Probably will need some time to get back to being comfortable at game speed.

I understand why we had to IR him last year -- roster spots were at a premium, and he had a long-term injury -- but stashing guys like that is going to stunt their development at a minimum. I expect him to improve a lot as the season moves onward.

Really pulling for him he has size to match up on bigger receivers.
I think he'll be fine. Everyone who showed the slightest deficiency yesterday is sorta being ripped apart right now. It was one preseason game. Guys will watch film and correct some things.

Agreed. I'm not trying to beat him up too much but if you had to pick out one of the DBs as looking rather weak it was Coleman.

How has he been doing in camp compared to Cyrus Jones? I'd put him at #4 behind Jones but I don't proclaim to be an expert.

I would also place Coleman at #4, behind Cyrus Jones, and comfortably ahead of Darryl Roberts,
with Jonathan Jones #6, but closing…and Crevon LeBlanc the best of the rest.

If we have Coleman as a #4, I feel pretty comfortable about our depth. But, I can't believe we still have issues with turning their heads to the pass. You would think by now Boyer would have that jammed down their throats . I guess it's a very difficult thing to do, in real time. There has been some improvement tho.

First preseason game let's not over react who looks weak let's talk more about that game 4.
As BB would say they did some good things but have a lot to work on let's see how it all plays out because I would love a 6ft Corner to pair up on B Marshall and Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back