PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts fielding a cheap team this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to John Clayton the Colts entered free agency $5.9 million under the cap but they could not afford Dominic Rhodes who had $2 million cap number for the Raiders before his suspension. Oh, please.
You know that this is misleading.

Six million under the cap, minus four million to sign rookies, leaves $2 million to re-sign their own players.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Rhodes, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign June, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign David, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Harper, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Stokely, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Reager, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Doss, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It would only cost $2 mil in cap space to sign a vet to replace Booger, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to sign a vet to replace Glenn, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

Not that they would want to sign all those guys, but the point is that $2 mil lets them sign one guy and one guy only. When your cap is at the point when you can sign opnly one of your leaving players, and no new players (WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT), then you are adversely affected by the cap.

The Colts got around it again this years, as in past years, but converting Manning's salary into signing bonus.

His cap next three years is arond $20 mil. When they redo his deal next year and the next, his cap number will jump by $10 mil a year next year, and twn more the year after. (hey, if you say it is their philosophy not to sign FAs because they usually don't, then it is their philosophy to reso Mannngs contract because they usually do.)

That's the difference between Colts fans and Pats fans. If we kept only Maroney, and let Faulk go, and did not sign a proven vet, so that all we had was Maroney and an UDFA RB, we would be concerned. You guys aren't. But we have suffered injuries year after year, and know how suddenly they happen, and have seen the lack of a viable RB hurt us at the end of a season (like last year). Have a year like we had in 2004 and you too would be concerned about putting all your eggs in Addai.

Similarly, while we have had rookies perform well in teh backfield (Samuel and WIlson come to mind, and Randall Gay), we are not comfortable RELYING on rookies and UDFAs to perform like day one draft picks. You have done very well drafting. It is good to have late round picks and UDFAs perform well. It is dangerous to rely on them.

I understand you have to do so, and that's cool. But to me it is an awful gamble.

All teams let players go into free agency. My point was that some times teams decide to do so, and sometimes they have to do so because they don't have the money to sign them.

I disagree that there is not a link between the ability to sign players and amount of cap space available. All good teams spend to the cap. We have a chicken and egg situation. While you say it is okay to have a lot of contracts coming due because we don't sign free agents, the egg side is that you can't sign free agents because you have so many contracts coming due.

From where we (you and I) sit, it could be either the chicken or the egg. Sticking your head in the sand and while chanting, "it's the chicken, it's the chicken, it's not the egg," sound suspiciously like whistling in the dark.

Personally, I think the proof that you are in cap trouble lies in Rhodes. The Colts would NEVER have left themselves without his services if they could have paid a not unreasonable price. Yes, you can say that Rhodes was undrafted, but that does not mean the next undrafted RB will be another Rhodes. It's nicve when it happens, but no one RELIES on it happening unless they cannot afford otherwise. And that, sir, is cap trouble.

But we shall see. I do believe that you were unable to sign some needed players. You and Miguel do not. We will see how it all shakes out, starting in two days.

Be honest now, you were singing this same song last year at this time, weren't you?

Six million under the cap, minus four million to sign rookies, leaves $2 million to re-sign their own players.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Rhodes, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign June, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign David, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Harper, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Stokely, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Reager, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to re-sign Doss, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It would only cost $2 mil in cap space to sign a vet to replace Booger, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

It only cost $2 mil in cap space to sign a vet to replace Glenn, so this proves the Colts aren't in cap trouble.

Not that they would want to sign all those guys, but the point is that $2 mil lets them sign one guy and one guy only. When your cap is at the point when you can sign opnly one of your leaving players, and no new players (WHETHER YOU WANT TO OR NOT), then you are adversely affected by the cap.

The Colts got around it again this years, as in past years, but converting Manning's salary into signing bonus.

His cap next three years is arond $20 mil. When they redo his deal next year and the next, his cap number will jump by $10 mil a year next year, and twn more the year after. (hey, if you say it is their philosophy not to sign FAs because they usually don't, then it is their philosophy to reso Mannngs contract because they usually do.)

The Colt's had NO reason to sign,

Harper-Aging corner with a better player behind him(Jackson)
David-Again, a better player behind him(Hayden)
Doss-Lost his starting job in preseason last year.
Stokely-drafted his replacement
June-again, the Colts feel the player behind him(Freddie K) will be an upgrade.

I think Booger's injury made letting go of Reagor a mistake but, whether he has the money or not, Polian's not likely to go out and sign an expensive FA after the Corey Simon ordeal. Plus, Ed Johnson's been a beast in training camp.

IMO, the Colt's felt that Dom's role could be played by someone much, much cheaper. However, they outsmarted themselves by putting Clifton Dawson on the practice squad, where he was snatched up by Cincy. Thats the biggest mistake they've made so far and it's a BIG one. Going into the season with only two running backs is not a good idea. However, I'm sure they've got James Mungro and DeDe Dorsey's phone numbers on speed dial, should they need them. Both are capable players who know the system inside out.

Tarik's retirement came just days before the start of training camp so, even if BP wanted to sign someone to replace him, who would he sign? It's not like there are dozen's of left tackles floating around, just waiting for someone to sign them. Especially just days before training camp.

and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that

I have been hearing for at least five years how poorly the colts manage the cap and how they were in cap he$$. IMHO, the fact of the matter is that the colts have a different strategy than the patriots, certainly OK. It is also a fact that their cap management and roster management have been consistently one of the top two to five in the league. We criticize the influence of their owner on NFL decisonmaking, while refusing to recognize that our owner has even more influence.

Our posters often say that the colts have lucked out because the team is built around Manning, and then point out that Manning isn't that good. I'm sure colts fans say the same about the patriots and Brady. Neither team would like to consider the past few years without their HOF QB.

The decade started with the 2000-2001 season. There are two franchises that have stood out this decade, far above the rest: the patriots and the colts. That situaton can bring mutual respect (the teams and coaches) or hatred (most of the fans). For me, these attitudes do not change the greatness of the two quarterbacks, the two organizations and the two teams.

Be honest now, you were singing this same song last year at this time, weren't you?

I think Booger's injury made letting go of Reagor a mistake but, whether he has the money or not, Polian's not likely to go out and sign an expensive FA after the Corey Simon ordeal. Plus, Ed Johnson's been a beast in training camp.

IMO, the Colt's felt that Dom's role could be played by someone much, much cheaper. However, they outsmarted themselves by putting Clifton Dawson on the practice squad, where he was snatched up by Cincy. Thats the biggest mistake they've made so far and it's a BIG one. Going into the season with only two running backs is not a good idea. However, I'm sure they've got James Mungro and DeDe Dorsey's phone numbers on speed dial, should they need them. Both are capable players who know the system inside out.

Tarik's retirement came just days before the start of training camp so, even if BP wanted to sign someone to replace him, who would he sign? It's not like there are dozen's of left tackles floating around, just waiting for someone to sign them. Especially just days before training camp.

Shakespere said it best: "Thou doth protest too much..."

You were very lucky to have drafted Stokey's replacement. But Gonzalez is still a downgrade for this year. Your running game situation is NOT good. And no, the week before training camp is not too late to sign a LT. Even it were, why weren't you preparing for this?

I think your defense is about as good as last year, as longer as Sanders is healthy for the whole year. The real question is the offense.

Last edited:
You were very lucky to have drafted Stokey's replacement. But Gonzalez is still a downgrade for this year.

Lucky? Why do you say that? I'm pretty sure they knew that Stokely wouldn't be back so they drafted his replacement. I fail to see how luck is involved.

Your running game situation is NOT good.

I agree. Something MUST be done. I nearly died when Joe went down.

And no, the week before training camp is not too late to sign a LT. Even it were, why weren't you preparing for this?

It may not be too late to sign one at that time but, the question is, would that guy be worth signing? Also, Tarik did not decide to retire until just before TC so, it was kind of a surprise.

That cap hell sure sucked last night!

Nice post.

I should have added this:
Convert $750,000 of Brackett's $1.67 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $500,000 in cap space
Convert $1,000,000 of Brock's $2.035 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $750,000 in cap space
Convert $2,500,000 of Diem's $3.5 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $2,000,000 in cap space
Convert $3,000,000 of Harrison's $4 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $2,400,000 in cap space
Convert $430,000 of Mathis' $1.43 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $344,000 in cap space
Convert $4.5 million of McFarland's $5.5 million salary into a signing bonus - create $2.25 million in cap space
Convert $1.5 million of Saturday's $2.4 million salary into a signing bonus - create $750,000 in cap space
Convert $2 million of Wayne's $3 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $2.4 million in cap space
Convert $500,000 of Adam's $1.37 million salary into a signing bonus
- create $375,000 in cap space
Reached the same deal with Freeney but not in July but in February
- create over $3 million in cap space

The Colts entered free agency under the cap by $5.9 million. They could
have been under the cap by an additional 14,769,000 if they did all of the
above moves. The 2005 Titans were truly in cap hell. They had redid so many
deals that the only player with a salary over $1 million was Justin Hartwig,
a RFA at that time. The 2005 Titans truly had no options. The 2007 Colts had options. They chose not to use them. Having no options is indeed cap
hell. Having options and not using them is not cap hell. Given that they had
to know that they were going to release Corey Simon after June 1, they
could have used over $20 million in cap space to retain the free agents they
lost and sign more UFAs than they actually did (two) knowing that they would free up $3.955 million in cap space with Simon's release.

You are forgetting the rule of 51. It did not take 4 million in cap space to sign the Colts draft class.

Having the ability to be under the cap by $20 million proves that the Colts were not in cap trouble. Having the ability to be under the cap by $20 million proves that the Colts had options but chose not to exercise them. Having the ability to be under the cap by $20 million proves that the Colts could have retained most of not all of their free agent departures.

The magic number is not $2 million but $20 million.

I've asked this question twice, and you didn't answer either time, so I guess I don't expect you to answer honestly, but I have a good idea how you'd react if the Pats went into the season with only Maroney and Quinton Smith as our running backs.

Ever since the Milloy release and the Patriots' response to it (winning a Super Bowl) I have stopped questioning/doubting the moves made by the Patriots front office. I feel very lucky that my favorite team has won 3 Super Bowls in 4 years so it will be awhile before this Patriot fan criticizes the moves made by BB/Pioli.

Given that the Colts and Patriots run different offensive/defensive schemes, why should they manage their roster/cap in the same manner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back