PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts fielding a cheap team this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as Polian remains a GM with the Colts,that team will remain competitive if not dangerous.

Polian is just as good as Pioli when it comes to building a team and keeping it from disaster, Anyone who knows anything about football agrees with this.

The Colts of the Bert Jones,Jeff George and Mike Pagel era have long gone and I don't see it reacurring anytime soon.

The Colts have paid out a lot of signing bonuses to Manning, Harrison and now Feeley. They have to leave cap room to account for the rest of the bonuses still owed to these players. We did the same when we locked up Seymour and Brady. When a team spends that kind of money on key players, other positions will take a hit. The Colts will be just fine. :)

I have to grudgingly admit that they do a good job evaluating young talent.

Last edited:
Weak draft? Maybe. Colts kept all their picks, but who's to say that wasn't totally out of necessity? Looks to be great picks, but maybe they end up warm bodies.
Looking forward to a fantastic season, with plenty of nailbiting and a heart stopper or two.
And that's the real situation. Who's to say? Bottom line is that 2007 draft's first semester grades will be in by Thanksgiving. The final grades for those still developing or playing a backup role won't be in until Thanksgiving 2008 or even later. Any evaluation of this draft with the exception of those rooks who are immediate, impact starters is premature. The Pats have several starters who were either PS assignees or backups of the full 53 and took 3 or so years to fully develop. But one, Neal, is a mainstay starter on OL and never played college ball.

As with the Colts, it's the unheralded players that provide the needed depth on the team and protect the roster in order to enhance the overall team quality. When all teams learn how to do this proficiently to stay within the cap, the league will have truly reached parity.

I don't believe that site is not correct. They don't mention ANY of the workout bonus money that players get

Including workout bonus money would not change a player's cap number.

A player gets $110 for each offseason workout session attended. And they can not attend more than 56. 56 *110* 80 players is around 500,000.

... And I don't see ANY LTBE bonuses and I'd be amazed if they didn't have LTBE bonuses.

The Colts do not typically use LTBE bonuses.
Look at the USAToday salary database.

Also, How is it that the Colts, who were only 5 million or so above the cap just a few weeks ago, now 15 million under the same cap?
Freeney's deal freed up cap room.
So did the release of Corey Simon as did the retirement of Glenn.
Also, as a team release vets, cheaper players take their place on the Top 51 list freeing up cap room.

Last edited:
I would love to hear from those who have been predicting cap hell for the Colts ever since Manning signed his contract.

I can't believe Manning only has a cap hit of $8.2 million.
I think he converted this year's salary into signing bonus. Lowers this year's cap to about 8 mil, raises the cap to about 20 mil in each of the next three years.

At least that's what I read earlier. I believe it was to free room to franchise Freeney, so they probaly have space now that Freeney is signed.

Basically drafting well is what gets you marquee players virtually for free, for a few years. We've hit on Samuel, though he only got good in his contract year, as well as Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, and, it seems, Maroney. For a few years (coincidentally, the Super Bowl run,) our cap situation was ridiculously good, because we hit the megamillions jackpot with Brady. Then the Pats FO made sure they did not get too attached to guys not worth the coin they were demanding (Law, Milloy, Branch), in the eyes of the FO. Obviously the Colts had the same feeling about, for instance, Cato June. Super Bowls exaccerbate the trend, since people will pay a bit more for a guy with a ring, on the theory, evidently, that there's a contagious condition called Lombardism, which leads people to win super bowls because a guy with a ring is in town (like Branch, Givens, Law, Milloy, Vinatie... oh never mind that last one.)

As much as it galls us, the Colts are doing pretty much what we did, and refusing to be held hostage by contract year players that just scored a ring. They have retirements and departures, and they're biting the bullet and looking to do without. I doubt they make it. It was unexpected that the Pats could. Either a new law is in place, whereby teams get better by subtracting after a super bowl run, or the Pats case was the exception not the rule. I think the latter will prove to be the case.

People mention Harrison, Wayne, Manning, Freeney, et al.... The contrast to the Pats use to be eye-popping, but now instead of two or three guys counting at or north of three mill a year, the Pats have a positively Indianapolian 9 guys. Now granted, the cap is 40% higher than in 2002 (for instance.) But adjusting for inflation just makes it 9 players instead of 6.

These numbers are always in flux, because the total cash a guy is going to make has little to do with how you apply it to the cap. Tom Brady isn't suddenly getting something like 40% less money this year... he's just getting it in later years. He's not going to double his money next year because he's worth twice as much... he just pushed that money forward to get Randy on board. But overall, the Pats have bit the bullet and abandoned the "special cap hits for special players" rule.

How is this happening? Simple. In 2001-2004, we had a lot of JAGS and a lot of diamonds in the rough. In 2007, we have a lot of veterans. We're doing a lot to limit the financial damage of emphasizing veteran pickups. I really like that Welker - the relatively inexpensive WR pickup - got the guaranteed money, while the marquee players all got "prove-it" years. But those "prove-it" years still ain't cheap compared with a talented rookie or 2nd-year player (especially if that young player was not a high-round pick.)

I use to think there was a philosophy that kept the Pats in a certain mold, but that seems to be a philosophy that's honored in the breach, as time goes by (and as an accelerated infusion of new cap money for 5 years suggests locking up talented players at "cheap" 2006/2007 prices, perhaps.)

I think the reality was, we had a lot of good relatively young talent early in the decade... and during that time, it made sense to look at the cap as essentially static.

The cap's dynamic now, inflating every year for the length of the current CBA at rates higher than earlier in the decade (especially the first year.) You should expect that acceleration to hit the league, and of course, that's just what we're seeing. There's a new, larger money supply out there, for basically the same commodity (53 players a team.)

It might be that the Foxboro logic is, if we play this right, we want to make this move toward the bottom, not the top, of the new money acceleration. We don't know what comes after this CBA, it might be uncapped... but we may have figured (basically,) that "now is the time to buy." Not stupidly, mind you... just as a general principal.

The Colts? They're going... "Wow! And we got away with it!" But they're also doing what we're doing -- trying not to get irrationally exuberant about that fact, and working smartly through their recent Super Bowl triumph, so they can move forward with a mindset dealing in years, not months.

I do like that we've retained a decent standard deviation among our players' cap hits. We're far from the worst in the league in terms of inequality, and the curve's still a curve, not a hockey stick. But it's no longer true that we have an essentially "classless" (economically speaking) locker room.

I'm thinking now, that may never have actually been a goal so much as an affectation of youth.

Plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose,

PFnV

Last edited:
Just read a big article in todays paper (San Jose) about how the Colts had the worst Super Bowl winner ever in terms of regular season points allowed and averaged yards lost to rush allowed. Said they should be a level below the best this year. Time will tell. In fact New Orleans might even take them behind the woodshed in a couple days. If nothing else it should be a baptism of fire for some of the less experienced Clots....

Just read a big article in todays paper (San Jose) about how the Colts had the worst Super Bowl winner ever in terms of regular season points allowed and averaged yards lost to rush allowed. Said they should be a level below the best this year. Time will tell. In fact New Orleans might even take them behind the woodshed in a couple days. If nothing else it should be a baptism of fire for some of the less experienced Clots....

Not since 1961 Vikings has a team been so bad, yet because we LOST some players that were on this abominable team, everyone feels they will give an encore performance of last season??

The FUNNY thing about the article, Dan Brown (author) goes on to "rank" the NFL teams. NE was number 1, and the Colts were number 2. Go figure!!

Read all about it in the Mercury News

I don't believe that site is not correct. They don't mention ANY of the workout bonus money that players get...And I don't see ANY LTBE bonuses and I'd be amazed if they didn't have LTBE bonuses. Also, How is it that the Colts, who were only 5 million or so above the cap just a few weeks ago, now 15 million under the same cap?

Sorry, but the numbers don't jive.

I'll wait for Clayton's numbers later here in the week. Those will be more accurate. And its about the only think that Clayton gets right.

Tarik Glen + Corey Simon + Dwight Freeney account for most of this amount.

Glen retired.
Simon was finally cut.
Freeney signed a $12M/year that is heavily backloaded.

Last edited:
As long as Polian remains a GM with the Colts,that team will remain competitive if not dangerous.

Polian is just as good as Pioli when it comes to building a team and keeping it from disaster, Anyone who knows anything about football agrees with this.

The Colts of the Bert Jones,Jeff George and Mike Pagel era have long gone and I don't see it reacurring anytime soon.

This is total nonsense. The $15M is not enough to restore the Colts to long term competitiveness. Either they will turn large numbers of late round draft picks into stars, or they will suck for a long time.

I think the Colts will make the playoffs this year, but I won't be surprised if they fall short. Neither should anybody else.

It will be interesting to see whether or not they cut (or renegotiate Harrison) before the end of his current deal.

I would love to hear from those who have been predicting cap hell for the Colts ever since Manning signed his contract.

I'm not one of them, since I only recently started predicting cap hell.

But $15M is hardly enough to dig them out of cap hell. Its not even enough to dig them out of the backside of Freeney's new contract.

Are the Colts above the salary minimum? Or are they in trouble of being fined that money?

People keep doubting, Polian keeps proving. Thats all there is to it. I am starting to doubt that the colts will be in cap hell before Peyton retires

This is total nonsense.
The $15M is not enough to restore the Colts to long term competitiveness. Either they will turn large numbers of late round draft picks into stars, or they will suck for a long time.

Your saying that his opinion is total nonsense does not make it so.

It will be interesting to see whether or not they cut (or renegotiate Harrison) before the end of his current deal.
Why iks this interesting??

A player Harrison's age has to know that he will not see the big money numbers at the end of the deal UNLESS he is worth it.

I'm not one of them, since I only recently started predicting cap hell.

But $15M is hardly enough to dig them out of cap hell. Its not even enough to dig them out of the backside of Freeney's new contract.

So when the Colts will be in cap hell???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back