PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Cowherd...anyone listening?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes agree with Colin, but mostly he's a ****y d-bag who thinks he's smarter than everyone else and expresses dismay at certain situations that he hasn't the first clue about.

Depending on your point of view Cowherd is either a contrarian or an independent analyst. For example, he was one of the few that did not buy into the idea that the video taping gave the Patriots a huge advantage for which the punishment should have been more severe. With that in mind, he did make a telling comment today that he has been accused of being a Patriot's homer, so perhaps he took this side to appease that portion of his audience.

He did have a few comments that didn't seem to be very well thought out though. First, he mentioned that BB does not start rookies (not true; Seymour and others for example) and went on about BB bringing in veteran LB's and their age - but made no mention of Mayo and Crable. He also said Lynch would not be successful in a new position, the hybrid S/LB role that was being taught to Tank Williams, but overlooked how well BB has done with others in multiple positions (McGinest, Thomas, etc.) Then he went on to say that if Lynch could do well in a new position that you may as well make him a WR, which should have made a light bulb go on over his head (Troy Brown as a DB.) The last innacuracy I caught was him comparing BB to George Allen, pointing out that Allen only used veterans but was not a winning coach in his final years; BB's won-loss record was pretty good last year.

Another thing he implied was that BB has let success go to his head, and believes all the stories about him being a genius. He compared how the Colts improve through the draft, that their defense is younger, faster and better than the Pats, who rely on free agents. To me, that's lazy analysis, relying on often repeated statements backed up with no facts - which is not like Cowherd.

In my opinion he brought this up and made these comments to (a) generate responses and debate from both sides, and (b) to convince his audience that has accused him of being a Pats homer that he does not play favorites, that he can be trusted for providing unbiased commentary.

Or maybe he is just a contrarian, playing both sides of the fence in the name of ratings.

Cowherd said that Mayo won't even play, that BB never plays rookies... Seymour???

He argued for a second that you can't make a S into a LB, too small, etc. He never mentioned coverages, disguises, etc. He left it at that...perhaps to avoid admitting his mistake.

He obviously hasn't seen Mayo play...okay it is training camp and one pre-season game but I see Mayo starting.

One thing in Cowherd's favor is that every in the media are looking at this as the Pats signed the guy to be a starter. I never think it is a desperation move to sign a veteran for depth, ever. It is desperation to sign a starting QB past his prime, but not a back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back