PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cobbs cut, Davenport signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
braveht said:
I don't think this is a waiver situation. He can sign with whoever he wants.

This week's Ask PFW disagrees with you.

Who or what makes the decision that a player is released or waived? My understanding is that a 'released' player is a free agent that all 32 teams can sign. A 'waived' player then has a system in place, I believe, that uses last year’s final standings as who gets first shot at the waived player (eg. The Texans would get first shot if they put in a waiver claim). Can a team waive a player if they know that another team in their division needs that position but has no chance of receiving him because of their record from the previous year?
Harold Freiter

If a player has less than four years of service time and he gets cuts, he is waived and goes through the claims process that you accurately described. After the third week of the season, the process reverts to 2006 records in inverse order. If a player has four or more years of time, then he is released and thus becomes a free agent. The only change to this occurs after the trading deadline, at which point every player is subject to the waiver process. I’m not sure I understand your question about the division. If a team wants to release a player it’s not likely going to be affected by another team’s needs. Like Belichick always says, he’s going to do what’s in the best interest of his team. He’s not going to worry about another team. And whether a player is waived or released there’s no way of knowing for sure which team, if any, are going to claim him.
Paul Perillo

btw, not to be a jerk or anything, but does anyone else agree with me that several, if not most, of the questions asked in that forum are ridiculous? Either they are drawn up in fantasy-land or they are something that could be answered with a 5 minute search. Oh well, it came in handy here.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:
Kelvin Kight.
Or Jonathan Smith after we activate Bam Bam. I could change my mind on that if Smith looks good on returns this week.

This may be of interest to the Pats:

Davenport was one of six veterans on the cut list who had regular-season experience with the Packers. The others were wide receiver Rod Gardner, defensive end Kenny Peterson, outside linebacker Roy Manning, cornerback Patrick Dendy and safety Atari Bigby.

the problem was not Ronnie Brown.

that o line is horrendous.

There were several times he should have gotten 0 yards and managed 3 or 4.

I think he looked pretty good.

ok so doesnt it first go to a team that puts a waiver claim in for him to be on their 53, then if nobody claims him that way, to whoever claims him to be on their ps??

if so, id put a claim on him for the ps

I'd love to see him on our PS. Maybe Bioli will hope he can stay on their "shadow roster" instead.

Pittsburgh may also be doing the same thing with Cobbs that BB did with Childress, he may wind up on their Practice Squad after clearing waivers. At the moment, I see no team "need" for a RB on the Practice Squad, but if Cobbs is available later in the season, he may be picked up there.

flutie2phelan said:
Kelvin Kight.

Bingo. Or my choice, Corey Mays. That jag has no future whatsoever with this defense. Too darn small.

Didn't Davenport get in a little trouble for taking a dump in some coed's closet when he was in college?

Or was that some other troubled football collegian?

Harrison37 said:
Didn't Davenport get in a little trouble for taking a dump in some coed's closet when he was in college?

Or was that some other troubled football collegian?

Well, she-it, man!
Watcha sposed ta do ... when ya gotta go?

Cobbs lucked out because he gets termination pay, as they call it. I believe the rule is every player on the roster for the first regular season game is eligible for termination pay, which means Cobbs salary is effectively guaranteed at $225K or whatever the Rookie minimum is.

Probably only the Steelers would be interested in him for the PS because his salary is so high.

Last edited:
lobster said:
Cobbs lucked out because he gets termination pay, as they call it. I believe the rule is every player on the roster for the first regular season game is eligible for termination pay, which means Cobbs salary is effectively guaranteed at $225K or whatever the Rookie minimum is.

Probably only the Steelers would be interested in him for the PS because his salary is so high.

That is only for veterans (more than 4 years). Rookies do not qualify to have their salary guaranteed after the first game.

patsfan55 said:
ok so doesnt it first go to a team that puts a waiver claim in for him to be on their 53, then if nobody claims him that way, to whoever claims him to be on their ps??

if so, id put a claim on him for the ps

No. If he clears waivers he is a complete free agent and can sign with anyone's PS (or to be on anyone's 53, for that matter). At that point it's his choice, if the Steelers want to keep him on their PS it's up to him.

I missed it. Who picked up Cobbs on waivers? Surely, this must-keep running back should be good enough to be #53 on some squad! I would note there is even a debate here with regard to whether he is worth keeping trying to sign to our Practice Squad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes