PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christopher Gasper hates the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this era, mere competence is the gold standard.

This day and age, I feel like reporters and journalists are like offensive linemen. If I notice you, you're not doing your job well.

Actually, he's not. He's just average. Twenty years ago, he'd be fighting for space in the secondary articles on the Patriots.

That's your opinion. That's why I said "I think Reiss is excellent". That is mine.

So in my opinion, "actually" he is.

Actually, he's not. He's just average. Twenty years ago, he'd be fighting for space in the secondary articles on the Patriots.

I call bull on that one. Twenty years ago we had McDonough and Borges covering the Pats. McDonough had tremendous sources but he was a shill for certain people. I'll never forget the hack piece he wrote about Kraft during the whole Parcells debacle. It was so bad that the Globe actually had to allow Kraft a counter side by side with his column. Borges was of course Borges but we just didn't know it yet. Thanks but know thanks. I'll stick with Reiss who covers it as well as anyone and doesn't seem to cloud the facts with personal opinion.

This day and age, I feel like reporters and journalists are like offensive linemen. If I notice you, you're not doing your job well.

No question....Look at the Globe's roster in the early, mid-80s

Larry Whiteside
Will McDonough
Mike Madden
Leigh Montville
Peter Gammons
Jackie MacMullen
Bob Ryan
Peter May

Addition: Holley and Smith for the 2000s. Both are solid writers and journalists.

Even Forgus was spectaular at boxing.

TV and Radio corrupts real sportswriters. It's shortens their view and forces them to spitfire their thoughts.

IMO no one is close to any of the guys above. Shank and Ryan have been mailing it in for years...

Last edited:
I call bull on that one. Twenty years ago we had McDonough and Borges covering the Pats. McDonough had tremendous sources but he was a shill for certain people. I'll never forget the hack piece he wrote about Kraft during the whole Parcells debacle. It was so bad that the Globe actually had to allow Kraft a counter side by side with his column. Borges was of course Borges but we just didn't know it yet. Thanks but know thanks. I'll stick with Reiss who covers it as well as anyone and doesn't seem to cloud the facts with personal opinion.

Borges wasn't that bad back in the 80s. He got lazy once Tuna rolled into town.

Larry Whiteside
Will McDonough
Mike Madden
Leigh Montville
Peter Gammons
Jackie MacMullen
Bob Ryan
Peter May

Addition: Holley and Smith for the 2000s. Both are solid writers and journalists.

TV and Radio corrupts real sportswriters. It's shortens their view and forces them to spitfire their thoughts.

IMO no one is close to any of the guys above. Shank and Ryan have been mailing it in for years...

Were they all that great or was it that we just didn't know any better? In this day and age, writers have a lot more competition and there is a great deal more national coverage. Not to mention the fact that blogs or even some guy with a camera can and often out scoop these guys. How effective would McDonough have been if he had to compete against the internet? The media wasn't nearly nearly as invasive as it is today. They only printed what they wanted you to know and often protected their favorites. The reason they were the "glory days" was because the reports painted them that way.

Were they all that great or was it that we just didn't know any better? In this day and age, writers have a lot more competition and there is a great deal more national coverage. Not to mention the fact that blogs or even some guy with a camera can and often out scoop these guys. How effective would McDonough have been if he had to compete against the internet? The media wasn't nearly nearly as invasive as it is today. They only printed what they wanted you to know and often protected their favorites. The reason they were the "glory days" was because the reports painted them that way.

They were that great. Also, robertweathers forgot to put Kevin Paul Dupont on his list.

Larry Whiteside
Will McDonough
Mike Madden
Leigh Montville
Peter Gammons
Jackie MacMullen
Bob Ryan
Peter May

Are you serious? In my opinion McDonough, Ryan and MacMullen were just awful.

Gasper is a jackass pretending to be a reporter.

Are you serious? In my opinion McDonough, Ryan and MacMullen were just awful

MacMullen just got inducted into the Basketabll hall of fame, she must be halfway decent.

72 posts? Gasper is getting just what he wanted, huh?

MacMullen just got inducted into the Basketabll hall of fame, she must be halfway decent.

I actually like MacMullen but she is really in her prime now, not 20 years ago.

Larry Whiteside
Will McDonough
Mike Madden
Leigh Montville
Peter Gammons
Jackie MacMullen
Bob Ryan
Peter May

McDonut was a Pain in the Arse. He was always blowing Parcells and the Nieuw Yawk Fuutball Gints of Nieuw Joisey, and hoping the Times would notice him and bring him to the Big Apple. He aspired to hob nob with the Nieu Yawk Celebs, and he could become the Hedda Hopper of Sports Reporting. He needed that kiss and tell routine since he knew less than squat about what he was covering.

Are you serious? In my opinion McDonough, Ryan and MacMullen were just awful.

Ryan was the best basketball beat writer that ever existed. I'm not a huge fan of his columns but as a pure beat writer he was as good as it gets.

Her induction in and of itself says something about non-players in the Hall of Fame. Jackie MacMullen? Halfway decent is not a bad description of her sports writing skills. What did she transend? When you think Jackie MacMullen, do you think NBA? I get Peter Vecsey. Jackie MacMullen - just your run of the mill filler writer. You get in the Hall of Fame for that?

And no, Gasper doesn't hate the Patriots. There is a requirement for Boston Sportswriters to be a **** in at least two out of five articles.

Hey Bro!! What up?! Cool! Now (Please be quiet - edited)! I have now contributed more to this thread than you have. Ty for coming. :bricks:

Your username - it's the best.

I see some of the other posters are not all that keen on Willie McDonough but IMO, the thing that made him so great, was his ability to cultivate sources and forge friendships WHILE STILL delivering the goods.

If you were a commish, GM, whatever and you wanted to back-channel something to the masses, you used Willie Mac because you trusted him to deliver the message. He certainly would add his commentary, but he would base in what HE KNOWS- not what he thinks he knows.

My .02$

Last edited:
They were that great. Also, robertweathers forgot to put Kevin Paul Dupont on his list.

Major oversight on my end. KPD is one of the greatest hockey writers ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back