PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Childress talks about Patriots being "all time great signal stealers"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he just do a presser calling himself an idiot? (not even sure why that would be news-worthy)

Is it that he steals signals the same as other but sucks at it? Or that once he knows the signals, fails to make "devastating" use of the information?

Is he ******ed?

Looks like he's in some kind of meltdown mode, between blaming Favre, crucifying the officiating of last night's game, and accusing the Pats of holding until the defensive signs got relayed to Brady, never mind the fact that he is an OC.

He wants very desperately for the coach/QB rift story to go away, so he's pulling the "Hey, guys! Spygate! Remember??? Let's talk about thay instead!" card.

Edit- Read the transcript and he didn't directly reference Spygate. But I mean, why bring up signal stealing, you know? Kind of a touchy subject with this particular franchise.

Last edited:
well he couldve just said that they didnt play well tonite and lost to a better team etc. he inserts the signal stealing quote just to imply that the pats won because of that .talking about wristbands and then talking about tomlin(defense) . makes no sense other than his dislike for BB.
some may not remember but before the game that week,he closed pratice to reporters,played with the injury report just mocking the pats or something .he has real axe to grind with the pats.i would be more disappointed if we lost this one now...

People. The mere fact he brought this up, is his own little way to throw a disparaging remark at BB. He's a classless moron and now I'm hoping the Pats embarrass the Vikes.

This forum is notorious for posters commenting without reading the link. This thread is a fine example.

You expect fair play on a coach that our coach has a problem with?

i have to go homer and bash him regardless of the truth. :)

Whats everyone flipping out over?
This:

The context of Childress' remarks came when he was asked about getting cornerback Chris Cook more into the mix, and if it was a concern that it comes in a week against quarterback Tom Brady. He then started to talk about the '06 game, taking the opportunity to call the Patriots "some of the all-time great signal stealers."

"It was like a surgical procedure," he said of the '06 contest, according to comments from a team-issued transcript. "That’s back when we used to signal [plays] and things like that. I remember having a conversation with [former Vikings defensive coordinator] Mike Tomlin about that. These were some of the all-time great signal stealers. In fact, that’s what was going on. They were holding, holding, holding. We were signaling from the sideline. They were good at it. It’s like stealing signals from a catcher."

Childress said that if the signals were picked off, and relayed to quarterback Tom Brady, it was a devastating combination.

"If you know that as a quarterback, that’s as good as you can do," Childress said. "And they did as good as they could do."

What does stealing signals have to do with holding?

And if Brady knew what the opposing defense was doing every play, how in the world did he throw 14 incomplete passes in that game?:confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, the Patriots took the signal, immediatly identified the play to which they were assigned and then relayed them to Brady before the ball was snapped. This whole procedure took about 40 seconds. You have to be absolutely ******ed to believe that. I guess Pedophile Face really wants his team to get obliterated on Halloween.

dumba$$, he is really helping Bill out without knowing it "dumba$$"

Yee gawds!
Why even bring it right now?
Is he just plain dumb?

Might be wise for Childress to try to change the subject - and he might even have good reason to vent at Belichick these days.

He may have figured out that Belichick giving him Moss may have been the final nail in his coffin as coach of the Vikings. This is fully Childress' team. He actively courted Farve to return, convinced the front office to pay him extra, and then go and trade for Moss as well.

I know Favre is injured but Childress has to accept responsibility for assembling this as his team - spending a lot of money and picks in the process.

Everyone thinks Childress got a steal for Moss but Belichick knows he put Childress in a "no excuses" situation that may result in both he and Favre (and Moss for that matter) being shown the door at the end of the season.

With the previous bad blood between them I think Belichick might get a chuckle if this ends badly for the Vikings and Childress, like I think it probably will.

So maybe Chilly's just doing some proactive lashing out at Bill, having just realized how this is all going to go down, and that Bill's going to have the last laugh.

Last edited:
Imagine a world where signal stealing in football is an art form. Like signal stealing in baseball. Then throw in video cameras and Roger Goodell. That's how I see signal stealing. They should change the policies.

This forum is notorious for posters commenting without reading the link. This thread is a fine example.

Pretty much. Furthermore, even Childress isn't stupid enough to really call out the Patriots the way everyone thinks he is, the week of the game.

People need to read to the end of the article.

"It’s something that we do as well. It’s good for one; it’s good for the other," he said. "We didn’t change it up. We didn’t use wristbands. We didn’t change the menu at halftime. They were good at that. Obviously you don’t need to give Tom [Brady] any added advantage."

Again, sign stealing isn't a big deal at all.

Does any other coach in the NFL talk as much as this dolt? Yesterday he's throwing his maverick QB under the bus, and today it's the Patriot's turn under the tires. "Oh, yeah, they win, but they do it by cheating." Don't blame yourself for anything Chilly, like the inability to adjust to a brilliant game plan (pretty much 100% spread, no backfield, no huddle, as I recall). Brady didn't need your signals, dumbass, because he had your number.

here is more info
It Is What It Is Brad Childress is no fan of Bill Belichick and the Patriots

he wasnt even asked about the 2006 game

Childress’ answer was in response to a rather innocuous question about playing time for rookie defensive back Chris Cook against a New England passing attack led by Tom Brady, and whether or not the Patriots might try and exploit a matchup involving the youngster. The Vikings coach said New England would “probably” operate “by coverage,” and then referenced a 2006 Monday Night game between New England and Minnesota, a game where the Patriots crushed the Vikings in the Metrodome, 31-7.

In that contest, Brady was masterful, going 29-for-43 for 372 yards and four touchdowns.

“I’m mindful of the last time we faced them here on Monday Night Football, where it was like a surgical procedure,” Childress said. “That’s back when we used to signal and things like that. I remember having a conversation with [ex-Minnesota defensive coordinator] Mike Tomlin about [the fact that] these were some of the all-time great signal stealers. In fact, that’s what was going on — they were holding, holding, holding, holding. We were signaling from the sideline. And they were good at it. It’s like stealing signals from a catcher.”

Childress, who said his own teams would engage in some sign-stealing from time to time (at least before the communication devices were installed in the helmets of defensive players in 2008), said he knew what was going on from him time as an assistant with the Eagles, where he was quarterbacks coach (from 1999 to 2002) and offensive coordinator (from 2003 through 2005).

“I had a notion, having played them at the Eagles before,” Childress said. “It’s something we do as well. If it’s good for one, it’s good for the other. [But] we didn’t change it up. We didn’t use wristbands. We didn’t change the menu at halftime. They were good at that. And obviously you don’t need to give Tom [Brady] any added advantage.

“If you know that as a quarterback, that’s as good as you can do,” Childress added. “And they did as good as they could do.”

Chilly just brought hell upon himself and his team. He will see BB's wrath

Chilly just brought hell upon himself and his team. He will see BB's wrath

I don't think Belichick likes him very much to begin with. This will make him hate Chilly even more.

Now go and get your money, little Dufflebagz boy.

I was legit worried about Moss going into this game. But given how little he's managed to do this season, given that he'll probably have Tarvaris Jackson throwing to him instead of the drama queen, and how much Belichick is going to want to stick it to Childress, I see Moss becoming a non-factor for this one.

Right now he's on pace for a 56/813/13 season. That makes him Chris Chambers. This is what he's doing in his contract season. Third round for a guy this team wasn't going to re-sign looks good now. And I still love Moss, but he's running out of gas. But yeah, **** Chilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back