PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Cheating" or being good at your job

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) I was unhappy that Belichick broke the rules. His reaction was also clear. He responded with carefully written statements. He doen't believe that he was did anything wrong, other than getting caught. This is my personnel reaction.

This is exactly what AJ is saying. It IS BB's obligation to bow down to the decisions of the league, but it IS NOT his obligation to agree with them. He had legitimate reason not to agree with them (even if you do) and he made that much clear in his statement.

mgteich said:
For ME personally, I would have strongly preferred that he suck it up, admit he was wrong, agree to follow the spirit and letter of the rules in the future and move on.

This isn't a question of morality, he interpreted a league rule in a way he saw fit. There is no reason to "admit to" anything but that.

mgteich said:
There is no question in my mind that our coach has little respect for the league and its leadership. He shown disdain for the NFL and also to the press at every opportunity.

This is a very irresponsible statement IMO. The media is one thing, but to say Belichick has little respect for the league and it's leadership is uninformed speculation, at best.

I don't doubt that Belichick has problems with some NFL rules and at times thumbs his nose at them (usually in a harmless manner), but everyone in every job has a problem wiith some rules they are forced to obey.

I think its beyond unlikely that Belichick doesn't have respect for the league. Neither do I think it's likely that any of us know how he feels about Goodell, nor do I think he has made any statements that allude to his feelings about Goodell. If you feel you have insight into Belichick's feelings on the Commissioner, then I feel you are reading too much into Belichick's statements.

mgteich said:
But he is our coach, so we will all support him and move on. And yes, to me it does show guts to come out in front of the press that you hate and admit the Commission that you hate was right, and the Commissioner is the appointed leader of the ownership of the NFL and should be supported. Belichick chose a more comfortable path, the middle finger.

Again, we don;t know the Belichick hates the Commissioner nor was the Commissioner "right" in any absolute sense. He was only right in he sense that he holds a monopoly on how the verbiage of NFL rules are interpreted.

The fact that you think his statement to the Commissioner was a "middle finger" is utterly laughable.

All the intelligence in the world can't change the facts. What's funny is how the "best minds" continue to try and spin this. Memo to your part of the country: your team cheated.

Speaking about intelligence or a lack thereof, apparenmtly you can't read. The comissioner did not say the Pats cheated.

You and I and aj and others have followed and posted regarding Belichick's career for several years now. We have different assessments regarding his attitudes toward the league and towards his repsonsibilities vis a vis the media and the Commisssioner. That's not surprising. We do not disagree on Belichick's competence as a coach (one the top few in the history of the league). We have had disagreements about Parcells, Milloy, Law, Bledsoe and a dozen others. That's OK, isn't it?

Honestly, mg, after the crap you've spewed this week, even this sincere and generous post has little effect on me. Now that you're bowing at the Altar of AJ (which I agree with), it just rings a little hollow, a little too little and a little too late.

Having said that, I also think your take on BB's statement is ONCE AGAIN a huge overreach and a ridiculous overstatement. A "middle finger?" REALLY? You genuinely believe that? What F-ing WORLD are you living in? I think at this point you're just stuck in the tracks of your dug-in heels and in red-alert mode. You have made a total MESS of yourself on these boards, and perpetuating your increasingly baseless arguments, no matter the change in tone, isn't helping.

Speaking about intelligence or a lack thereof, apparenmtly you can't read. The comissioner did not say the Pats cheated.

You're right, he didn't say they cheated. He said:
"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,"

Which is PC for he cheated.

Have a nice evening.:)

Last edited:
As Churchill said long ago about someone he needed as an ally: "Sure he's a dictator, but he's our dictator." So it is with Belichick. He is what he is. But we are proud to have him as our coach, warts and all. IMO, there is no reason to make believe with regard to his faults.

Actually, unless it's two different anecdotes, the quote is from FDR, speaking (as I recall) about Anastasio Somoza (pere):

"He may be a son of a *****, but he's our son of a *****."

But I'm going from memory too about that anecdote; it may not have been somoza, but that's the quote.

Had the video camera been up in the coaches booth instead of on the sidelines, taping the same thing in both places, this 'incident' would not have even been an issue.

Thanks! I googled the quotation. From snopes.com Apparently it goes back a long time.
=======================================

I've heard that FDR said this about Somoza. I've heard that Acheson said this about Tito. And I've heard that Dulles said it about some unspecified dictator.

Anyone know its origin?
I think it's hard to know if FDR or Hull or Acheson or Dulles ever used really this line in anything but jest toward any number of dictators of the time (and even then there doesn't seem to be any strong evidence linking any of them to the quip), but KathyB made a good point in that earlier thread by bringing up the Stevens anecdote.

An excerpt of J.C. Franklin's The New Dealers, published by Simon & Schuster in 1934 [1], was printed in The Washington Post early that year. There, the general anecdote (involving unnamed politicians) appears this way,

Quote:
After the Chicago Convention, Gen. Hugh Johnson, who had worked hard with Barney Baruch to stop Roosevelt, was asked what he thought of his nomination. Johnson replied by recalling a story of a county convention of Democrats in which the wrong man had been chosen. Driving home from the meeting, two politicians were comparing notes. Both had opposed the successful candidate. One said to the other, "Damn it all! We should never have let them put Blank over. He's a So and So!" The other man sighed and said nothing for a long time. Then he cheered up. "After all," he observed. "Blank isn't so bad. He's our So and So." [12 February 1934, Pg. 1]

Which at least harkens back to Thaddeus Stevens's "which one is our damned rascal?" version, which had appeared in U.S. newspapers at least as early as 1877. In fact, a version from 1882 already bears the now familiar delivery,

Quote:
"He's a damned rascal," said Thad. Stevens bluntly on a similar occasions, "but as he's *our* damned rascal we must put him in."
[From "Credit Where It Belongs," The Washington Post, 22 July, Pg. 2.]

My guess is that an anecdote involving "he's a _____, but he's our _____" was already familiar to political types in the early part of the 20th century. Giving credit, then, to Hull or FDR for originating the line (and then using it with regard to Trujillo or Somoza or anyone else) would've been a stretch. And given the chronology I don't think there's any reason to credit Acheson or Dulles.

In the end, I think the suggestion in the previous thread is a good one: I think it's likely that someone (perhaps just for fun) recycled an earlier anecdote, attributing the line to a named President or to his Secretary of State.

-- Bonnie

[1] FDR appointed Hull as Secretary of State when he took office in 1933. Trujillo and Somoza came to power in 1930 and 1936, respectively. Acheson and Dulles served as Secretaries of State after WWII.

[2] For what it's worth, the earliest linking of FDR, Hull, Acheson, or Dulles to the quip itself that I've managed to find comes from Drew Pearson's 30 April 1952 column for The Washington Post ("President Somoza to Visit Here," p. B15),

Quote:
Note -- President Roosevelt, less worried about dictators than Harry Truman, officially invited President Somoza to Washington. "He may be an S.O.B.," said FDR, "but he's our S.O.B."

At the same time, however, William S. White was confidently using the "unnamed politician" version in a column for the New York Times Sunday Magazine (8 June, Pg. SM13) a couple months later,

Quote:
[T]here is the incident, often considered apocryphal but an incident that in this writer's own knowledge in fact occurred at least once, of an exchange between a professional politician and a reformer follower. The reformer, discovering to his shock that a supposedly unworthy local character of one day had become a faithful campaign associate of the next, complained to the Boss:

"Why, you told me a week ago that fellow was an S.O.B."

"Yes, son," said the Boss, "but now he's our S.O.B."

And a short piece written in 1948 on the death of Senator James Watson [Indiana], the "last Republican majority leader in the Senate before the Roosevelt era," also includes the "unnamed politician" version.

Quote:
Senator Watson used to tell a story of Uncle Joe which shall be our contribution to the stock of reminiscences about Jim Watson. One day in the House the Speaker spoke about a party man as a deserving appointee for some vacant post. "But you couldn't recommend him," said young Watson. "He's a so-and-so." "Yes, he may be," said Uncle Joe, "but, my boy, he's our so-and so, isn't he?" [From "James E. Watson," The Washington Post, 3 August 1948, Pg. 10.]

Actually, unless it's two different anecdotes, the quote is from FDR, speaking (as I recall) about Anastasio Somoza (pere):

"He may be a son of a *****, but he's our son of a *****."

But I'm going from memory too about that anecdote; it may not have been somoza, but that's the quote.

Your POSTS show that you actually didn't READ what he said or understand the point of it. It has LITERALLY NOTHING to do with "defending" Belichick. NOTHING. So, go back and read, and come back and make an arugment commensurate with the deliberative post that started this thread.
You are wasting your time, man. They didn't come here to read, or participate in a discussion. They came to interfere with our discussions. Look at Boltsfan's response. "Get over it. Move on." The sole purpose of that post was to interrupt our discussion. Same as the other troll's posts.

It would seem to me, that if Pats fans wanted to have a discussion about the Pats, on Patsfans.com, we ought to be able to do so.

This is the reason we have a place for fans of other teams. What we need are moderators who will move their posts to that forum and leave Patsfans to Pats fans. Until then, it will not be possible to discuss this issue on our site.

I'm not talking about what the commissioner said, or what Bellicheck said, or what the forums are saying. I'm talking about what actually happened.

You tried to steal the signs. You tried to cheat. Did you need the advantage? No. Are the Pats a great time without the extra help? Yes.

I don't think your legacy is tarnished, or the game should have been forfeited, or Bellicheck should have been suspended.

But it was a very clear attempt to cheat. And all the words in the world can't change that.

You are wasting your time, man. They didn't come here to read, or participate in a discussion. They came to interfere with our discussions. Look at Boltsfan's response. "Get over it. Move on." The sole purpose of that post was to interrupt our discussion. Same as the other troll's posts.

It would seem to me, that if Pats fans wanted to have a discussion about the Pats, on Patsfans.com, we ought to be able to do so.

This is the reason we have a place for fans of other teams. What we need are moderators who will move their posts to that forum and leave Patsfans to Pats fans. Until then, it will not be possible to discuss this issue on our site.

I made my point. I'll leave you to commiserate together and check out some other threads.

You tried to steal the signs. You tried to cheat. Did you need the advantage? No. Are the Pats a great time without the extra help? Yes.

I don't think your legacy is tarnished, or the game should have been forfeited, or Bellicheck should have been suspended.

But it was a very clear attempt to cheat. And all the words in the world can't change that.

There's no NFL rule against trying to steal the calls/signals of another team. None. Had that video camera been in the coaches booth instead of the sidelines, there's have been no NFL rule violation at all.

There's no NFL rule against trying to steal the calls/signals of another team. None. Had that video camera been in the coaches booth instead of the sidelines, there's have been no NFL rule violation at all.
Ok. I understand how pats fans want to think about this. I know you want to think that it's a gray area. It was at one point. But it wasn't last year.

The NFL identified NE's nefarious activity @GB and warned NE. It was brought up again by Detroit. Another warning was issued. In the off season the NFL issued a letter of instruction putting every team on BLAST behind the concept. Anyone who doesn't understand that there's a reason for that doesn't understand the game. The activity NE engaged in WAS NOT about getting a clue for future games.

For any of you NE fans who don't understand why you got called? Here's the deal. What NE was doing was taping hand signals, time indexing them and comparing them with the photo formation at that time. The reason for doing that is simple. If a coordinator recognizes a given formation and understands the signal being sent to that formation they can RADIO blitz info to the QB. There is an advantage for the QB if the QB can audible the proper protection from the blitz. Yea, it takes a little while to analyze the info but if you have it handy in the 4th it might help.

NE was doing exactly that with GB, DET, and the Jets. It's a fact. Whoever else? We don't know?

I'm on record on this forum about how I feel about this whole thing so I'm not gonna get into that. Sure, all teams try and steal and analyze signals whenever they can. Videotaping signals in game does cross the line. The pats deserved to get spanked and NE should be happy with the punishment.

Last edited:
Dude? I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort you put into this. It was cheating plain and simple. It's over. Move on.

It wasn't cheating it was "Scouting" as K.Johnson said! But we all know, im sure its not what the Media or Goodell says, its about the W!

I'm on record on this forum about how I feel about this whole thing so I'm not gonna get into that. Sure, all teams try and steal and analyze signals whenever they can. Videotaping signals in game does cross the line. The pats deserved to get spanked and NE should be happy with the punishment.

Thank you for your honesty. I agree with the above statement wholeheartedly.

What many Pats fans are angry about is the total hysteria that has been developed by the media. "They cheated", "they must have cheated in this game", "they must have cheated in the Super Bowl", etc.

You should've heard the local radio sports show here in Nashville. You would have thought Belichik threw his cat in a woodchipper. They made him out to be worse than M Vick.

Personally I'm tired of all the bullc**p and ready to watch some football Sunday evening.

Again, thanks for an honest perspective.

Thank you for your honesty. I agree with the above statement wholeheartedly.

What many Pats fans are angry about is the total hysteria that has been developed by the media. "They cheated", "they must have cheated in this game", "they must have cheated in the Super Bowl", etc.

You should've heard the local radio sports show here in Nashville. You would have thought Belichik threw his cat in a woodchipper. They made him out to be worse than M Vick.

Personally I'm tired of all the bullc**p and ready to watch some football Sunday evening.

Again, thanks for an honest perspective.
No, thank you for recognizing.
icon14.gif

For any of you NE fans who don't understand why you got called? Here's the deal. What NE was doing was taping hand signals, time indexing them and comparing them with the photo formation at that time.

There is no NFL rule against doing that. There IS a rule that you can't do it by having a video camera on the sidelines. A team could do it with a camera in the coach's booth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes