PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones' trade value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Some of those days happened with Chandler Jones already on the team.
We have been in the top 15 in sacks as a team every year of Chandlers career.

I just love this board. Can he rush the passer is a question common on this board for everyone we sign or show interest in even offensive players. And now the same board is willing to trade it's best pass rusher for no more than a 2ND rounder.

I will take one season of Chandler over a 2ND round pick. You could get Collins in the second rd or you could Ras-I. No thanks I'll keep Jones and hope we can resign him and if not we'll get a comp pick.

The way that this Defense is coming together, I believe that there is a distinct Possibility that he's about to launch a Career Year ~ 18 Sacks or something crazy like that ~ and that, should we choose to do so, we could get a King's Ransom for'is Services a Year from now as a Tag & Trade...just as with Jared Allen.

Nice addition to the conversation, OTG. Hadn't seen that possibility mentioned before, and it is a worthy one.

Thank you kindly, Brother Better!!
beer.gif

Yeah, trading Jones for a 2nd Rounder and change ~ all that's viable what with DeflateGate ~ would be poor Return for shipping off our best Dragon on what could very well be the very of his Ascent to Greatness.

And I have limited interest in that prospective 2018 Compensation Pick, thank you...

But a King's Ransom if Jones goes off for 16 to 18 Sacks??? :eek:

Send those Offers in, Baby!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

Last edited:
I think the team to watch is Arizona, where there's only a small window left with Palmer and Fitzgerald before they are going to have to rebuild with an entirely new offensive identity. If this depth chart I'm looking at is correct, then they have three OLBs with any NFL experience, and those guys had 4, 2, and 1.5 sacks last season. They need an upgrade there.

That said, I don't think it makes any sense for the Patriots to trade for a one year, $7.3 million rental of Michael Floyd as some people have suggested. I'd rather have a season of Jones plus the comp pick as opposed to the Cardinals' second round pick, so I guess that means the Cards' first round pick (conveniently placed right next to the Pats' nonexistent one) or no trade.

His value is really one of the $Xm questions, isn't it?

1. Is Cleveland willing to make some big moves (Jones + JAG for #33 + Gordon + ____)?

At this moment, I think the Pats would be even less willing to trade Garoppolo than they would to trade Jones.

how about jones and garoppolo for tyron smith and the cowboys 2nd rounder?

how about jones and garoppolo for tyron smith and the cowboys 2nd rounder?
The Cowboys don't even have enough cap room to cover Smith's dead money, much less Jones' salary on top of that.

We have been in the top 15 in sacks as a team every year of Chandlers career.

As people have always been fond of pointing out, there's a difference between getting sacks and consistent pressure.

I just love this board. Can he rush the passer is a question common on this board for everyone we sign or show interest in even offensive players. And now the same board is willing to trade it's best pass rusher for no more than a 2ND rounder.

If you look at him simply as a one year rental, getting a 2nd round pick isn't exactly chopped liver.

I will take one season of Chandler over a 2ND round pick. You could get Collins in the second rd or you could Ras-I. No thanks I'll keep Jones and hope we can resign him and if not we'll get a comp pick.

The comp pick would come at the end of the 3rd round, and a year later, which is an obvious step down. You're welcome to your opinion, obviously, but people who want to move Jones have a reasonable argument, too.

As people have always been fond of pointing out, there's a difference between getting sacks and consistent pressure.

Pressure has been fine during his run too. People forget what it was like prior to him.

If you look at him simply as a one year rental, getting a 2nd round pick isn't exactly chopped liver.
If you consider a 2ND rder gets a 4 year deal and that this player likely won't be as skilled as Jones and that keeping Jones we likely get a good comp pick albeit a year later the value doesn't seem enough to me to give up on our best dlinemen. Not to mention there is still a chance we re-sign him.

The comp pick would come at the end of the 3rd round, and a year later, which is an obvious step down. You're welcome to your opinion, obviously, but people who want to move Jones have a reasonable argument, too.
Everyone is welcome to their opinions obviously, just in this instance my opinion is right.....hahaha.

Pressure has been fine during his run too. People forget what it was like prior to him.

The pass rush in 2008- 2010 stunk. With Anderson and Andre Carter in 2011 it was better. With that said the back-end man to man cover skills were awful. That helps the pass rush

If you consider a 2ND rder gets a 4 year deal and that this player likely won't be as skilled as Jones and that keeping Jones we likely get a good comp pick albeit a year later the value doesn't seem enough to me to give up on our best dlinemen. Not to mention there is still a chance we re-sign him.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions obviously, just in this instance my opinion is right.....hahaha.

Jones is a very good player however he is not elite which means they are not going to break the bank for him. Because they are not going to break the bank, Jones is well within his right to test the free agent waters and maximize his earning potential. We don't know if they have had any contract discussions with him and what the nature of those conversations have been. If he hits FA the Pats have a 0.0% chance of resigning him and in 2017 would realize a 3rd round comp pick for him. If they are far apart, then dealing him for something better than a 3rd would be pretty good. Teams might shy away from a 1st b/c he is not under contract beyond 2016. However, if the potential new team thinks they can meet his contract demands, then maybe the Pats can get a 1st for him.

In the end because the team is a SB contender do you really want to trade one of your best pass rushers?

I'm Ok with letting Jones play out here in a contract year.....another 12-15 sacks is great, and he will price himself out of a job here.....but he's replaceable

that said, I have no problem with moving him for a 2nd round draft pick....granted, it would have been more useful if they had someone worthwhile targeted in FA, but now moving him is not as important though an additional 2nd rounder would be pretty useful in getting a defender to replace him for much less $$

as long as we go for connor barwin instead of ron brace

And you seem to conveniently have forgotten what it's been like at times during his run.

In the context of my earlier post, I don't care if it's enough for you. I was simply pointing out that both sides have reasonable arguments. You being on one side or the other is meaningless at that point.

Chandler Jones might be the most overrated pass rusher in the NFL.

I would trade him ASAP.

Nice player I like having on the roster, but he's gonna be way over valued

It is nice having Jones on the roster but I don't buy keeping him next year to make another run. We are going to make another run whether he is on the team or not.

We are not going to be able to spend 60-70 mill on 6 starters on defense. Jacksonville lost out on Vernon to the Giants and the other top DEs were kept out of the market. Pick 38 in April I think is better value than pick 100 or 135 in 2018, when Brady might not even be playing. I would not trade him unless I could come to a Contract/Agreement with Sheard beforehand.

This is a fairly deep draft for DL, which helps me move him.

What about Grissom and Flowers?

did you see anything from either of them last year??? i didn't.
wasn't grissom the guy responsible for the blocked punt against philly?? lol then he was benched.

im probably wrong

so silly

what if sheard gets hurt? that would leave old man ninkovich.

chandler isn't going anywhere.

Depends if you have confidence in Flowers, Rufus or Grissom in 2016 or pickup Long or situational pass rusher in the draft or elsewhere in FA

Jones' trade value?

3rd and 6th from the Cowboys maybe? He's getting expensive. Maybe time to cash in.

Unless BB makes some magical FA signing that reshapes the DL I would not trade Jones.
I'm in the win now mode with Brady's last years & want Jones' contract year's sacks.
Assuming the FA signing, I would not trade Jones for less than a very early 2nd and a 4th.
We'd get an end of the 3rd pick for him the year after he putatively leaves in FA.

Out of Jones, Hightower, Collins & Butler, Jones ranks last among the must keep guys.

Last edited:
They can't sign Jones, Collins, Butler, or Hightower, too expensive. They should trade Jones to Detroit for Calvin Johnson, Collins to Cleveland for Josh Gordon, Butler to Jacksonville for Justin Blackmon, and Hightower and the Rams fo Tavon Austin. Can you imagine how sick that offense would be????? They could line up CJ and JE11 wide right, DA and TA in the slot, CH and JG wide left, and AD and JB at flanker with Gronk as the flex TE. Brady would have 9 receivers to choose from, and they can't double them all!!!!!!!!! Throw in DL and JD receiving out of the backfield and Brady would have 11 weapons at his disposal. They would be unstoppable, they would score 1,000 points and wouldn't need a defense.

Do it BB

You needed to close with "Cousin" in there somewhere

I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a 2nd as the highest pick. So I could part with him for say a 2nd and a 6th. The question is: Why would any team want to do that? Jones is going to be a UFA next year. So the GM of the trading team would not only have to give up multiple picks (one of them high) in theory, but would also have to either A) sign him to a massive contract the following season or B) franchise tag him for top dollar until he'd have to back up the Brinks truck. I just don't see why any team would be willing to do that. So the Pats may as well keep him and deal with his loss next season unless there is a team/GM dumb enough to do the above.

Yea I'm in the same boat as you, only it would take a 1st rounder for me to even consider it.. or like a 2nd + 3rd.. because if he does leave in FA, he'll get paid enough to warrant a 3rd rounder as compensation..

So I'd rather get 1 more year of service out of a good player at a premium position + a 3rd than trade him away a year early unless someone just made you fall over with an offer... we spent the #19 overall pick on him, so anything less than a 1st rounder I'm not even picking up the phone to entertain, unless they want to throw a solid player in as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes