PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones thought he was going to be a NY Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet you don't have quotes, so you think you are right because you say you are right.

Ok, so if I dig up a quote will you admit you're wrong?

Pts per game is one of the most flawed stats there is.
What? Let me remind you, the point of the game is to score more points than your opponent.

Of course Pats fans run to it because it's the only stat that makes your defense look at best, average.
So after 30 years of stating that points are what matters, you think my opinion is based on what makes the AFC Champion look better in an argument?

Points per game penalizes your defense for special teams and offensive turnovers resulting in points, something the Jets unfortunately led the NFL in last year with 126. That's how bad those 2 units were and the Jets defense had to take the brunt of it. With Sanchez turning the ball over ad nauseam (pick 6s and fumble returns for TDs) and our 7 ST turnovers (very uncharacteristic of a Mike Westhoff unit) our defense was severely penalized for it.
The defenses job is to keep the opponent off the board.

5th is 5th.
And 5th in an insignificant category is not 5th best.

You can spin it anyway you like. The Jets defense was well above average last year. You can look at a myriad of other NFL defensive stats and they place in the top 10 in most of them. Defense was prob the only reason we sniffed 8 wins last year.
Not in the ones that matter most.

Where is your logic for showing our GM and HC disagree on the pick?

Where did I say that? I said YOU think DL wasn't the problem and THEY disagree with YOU based on their pick.

Seems like an irrational statement to me. But I agree, the team has a ton of holes. On the defensive side of the ball though, talent doesn't as matter as much.
Talent doesn't matter?

Rex can field a great defense with a bunch of JAGs out there.
Take away Revis and you would have been a bottom 5 defense last year. 20th with him is not great with JAGS.

The offense will make or break this team as it has the first 3 yrs under Rex.
How was your defense vs the Patriots? Eagles? Cowboys until Romo choked? Raiders? Giants? Tebow?

Of course he has a long way to go to cement his 1st round pick. He played 1 season. Rome wasn't built in a day. I could make the same case here for McCourty who is coming off the worst statistical season of any CB in the history of the NFL.
Really? And where do they keep those statisrics? What does McCourty have to do with Wilkerson?
Why would you try to use the team that owns yours to try and make yours seem better?

on edit: That 'suspect run D' was 6th best in the NFL in yards per carry. The total number is misleading since teams are more likely to run on us due to the strength of our passing defense.
So you are selectively picking which stats you like and calling the others misleading?

Your other point is spot on. We suck at rushing the passer. We have it done it successfully minus Rex's exotic blitzes since he's been here hence the Coples pick.
But you said the DL wasn't the problem?????

Ok, so if I dig up a quote will you admit you're wrong?

It depends what you dig up. If you find Bill Walsh saying he thought Montana was complacent so he went out and got a QB to push him so he wouldn't be a lazy, sure.
I don't know why you think this board is about hiding from being wrong.
If I say 2+2=5 and you prove 2+2=4, why would I not admit I was wrong?
If you are simply trying to not admit your mistakes, you have no credibility. Pkease consider that when posting.

It depends what you dig up. If you find Bill Walsh saying he thought Montana was complacent so he went out and got a QB to push him so he wouldn't be a lazy, sure.
I don't know why you think this board is about hiding from being wrong.
If I say 2+2=5 and you prove 2+2=4, why would I not admit I was wrong?
If you are simply trying to not admit your mistakes, you have no credibility. Pkease consider that when posting.

I never said Walsh or anyone else suggested Montana was lazy, simply that people who knew him claimed one of the reasons he wanted Young was to push Montana. Walsh was known for pushing his best players, guys who were the best in the league, and demanding even more from them, and getting it.

I never said Walsh or anyone else suggested Montana was lazy, simply that people who knew him claimed one of the reasons he wanted Young was to push Montana. Walsh was known for pushing his best players, guys who were the best in the league, and demanding even more from them, and getting it.

Walsh having a philosophy of pushing players hard is not Walsh thinking he needed to bring someone in to push Montana. You dismissed the reports that Mark Sanchez is lazy and needs competition to push him by citing Joe Montana.
Remember that comment about admitting you are wrong?

Forget it Andy...he'll just invent a new field with new goalposts

Walsh having a philosophy of pushing players hard is not Walsh thinking he needed to bring someone in to push Montana. You dismissed the reports that Mark Sanchez is lazy and needs competition to push him by citing Joe Montana.
Remember that comment about admitting you are wrong?

Bringing in Young to push Montana is an indirect way of Walsh pushing Montana.

That said, when did I ever dismiss a report of Sanchez being lazy? Everything indicates that he is lazy and that the Jets coddle him, that's one of the reasons I think them bring in Tebow is a great move, I think the pressure from Tebow will force Sanchez to improve his efforts.

Last edited:

Where's the quotation you promised?

Pretty much every point you had was valid until I got here:

"...McCourty who is coming off the worst statistical season of any CB in the history of the NFL..."

[citation needed]

He became the first CB in NFL history to allow over 1,000 yards receiving to the receivers he covered in '11. There are many ways to define a CB, but that is a key one, and in that particular area he was the worst.

Thanks that my other analysis was spot on :rocker:. I know the Jets shortcomings when I see them aka everything on offense.

Points per game is pretty much the only stat that matters both offensively and defensively. It generally goes a long way to determining the Win/Loss record of any given team.

This isn't true and you obviously won't find any proof to back up this claim. It is an important stat, I was just pointing out it's main flaw (and yes, it is a big one). This isn't to say yards allowed isn't a flawed stat either, it definitely is. I just can't stand fans who fall back on this stat when it penalizes defenses a lot, especially the Jets last year due to our inept offense and special teams unit, which led the NFL (by a long shot) in points off turnovers.

What? Let me remind you, the point of the game is to score more points than your opponent.

So after 30 years of stating that points are what matters, you think my opinion is based on what makes the AFC Champion look better in an argument?

The defenses job is to keep the opponent off the board.

And 5th in an insignificant category is not 5th best.

Not in the ones that matter most.

Where did I say that? I said YOU think DL wasn't the problem and THEY disagree with YOU based on their pick.

Talent doesn't matter?

Take away Revis and you would have been a bottom 5 defense last year. 20th with him is not great with JAGS.

How was your defense vs the Patriots? Eagles? Cowboys until Romo choked? Raiders? Giants? Tebow?

Really? And where do they keep those statisrics? What does McCourty have to do with Wilkerson?
Why would you try to use the team that owns yours to try and make yours seem better?

So you are selectively picking which stats you like and calling the others misleading?

But you said the DL wasn't the problem?????

This argument is littered with strawmans, bias confirmation, and cherry picking. I can't say I agreed with a single thing you wrote here. If you don't see the shortcomings of the pts allowed stat then I just feel bad for you. You really come across as a sad Patriot homer saying things like our defense would be 'bottom 5' if it wasn't for Revis (ironically we'd still be better than the Pats in that regard :singing:. But again, don't let the facts get in the way of forming a rational argument there chief.

This argument is littered with strawmans, bias confirmation, and cherry picking.
It has none of the above, you just dont like the facts.

I can't say I agreed with a single thing you wrote here. If you don't see the shortcomings of the pts allowed stat then I just feel bad for you.
Every stat has shortcomings, but points allowed is by far the best one.

You really come across as a sad Patriot homer
What do I have to be sad about, we own you.

saying things like our defense would be 'bottom 5' if it wasn't for Revis (ironically we'd still be better than the Pats in that regard :singing:.
Ironically, you allowed more points than us with him.

But again, don't let the facts get in the way of forming a rational argument there chief.
All I am talking about are facts, you are the one making excuses for the facts. But you are a Jet fan, so that is to be expected.

But again, don't let the facts get in the way of forming a rational argument there chief.

here's a rational argument...YOU blabbed up a storm on this board about your world killers and them watched as they got bludgeoned, battered, beaten, bruised and discarded like Jersey trash and NOW you come back here running your mouth like some kind of green fungus on crack...my argument is YOU are completely screwy.

Idk why you guys chose chandler jones. Based on the way coach BB drafts he is alot of risk/reward. Just surprised. Hopefully he beats the hell out of wayne hunter so we can start to rebuild our o-line

Idk why you guys chose chandler jones. Based on the way coach BB drafts he is alot of risk/reward. Just surprised. Hopefully he beats the hell out of wayne hunter so we can start to rebuild our o-line

Carter got 4.5 sacks off of Ferguson last time we played, Hunter and Mulligan weren't your only issues.

Only a Jets fan would hope that one of their own OL gets beaten by a division rivals pass rusher to the QB just so you can rebuild your OL???

So if Jones slams Hunter,gets to Sanchez/Tebow and puts him out of commission,it's good for the team? :rolleyes:

You can hold out hope that Hunter gets beat out in TC by one of your OTHER OL,but what you wish for is a head scratcher.

Last edited:
So if Jones slams Hunter,gets to Sanchez/Tebow and puts him out of commission,it's good for the team? :rolleyes:

Is that a trick question, or just a rhetorical one?

Pts per game is one of the most flawed stats there is. Of course Pats fans run to it because it's the only stat that makes your defense look at best, average. Points per game penalizes your defense for special teams and offensive turnovers resulting in points, something the Jets unfortunately led the NFL in last year with 126. That's how bad those 2 units were and the Jets defense had to take the brunt of it. With Sanchez turning the ball over ad nauseam (pick 6s and fumble returns for TDs) and our 7 ST turnovers (very uncharacteristic of a Mike Westhoff unit) our defense was severely penalized for it.

5th is 5th. You can spin it anyway you like. The Jets defense was well above average last year. You can look at a myriad of other NFL defensive stats and they place in the top 10 in most of them. Defense was prob the only reason we sniffed 8 wins last year.

lol no. If we were to judge by yards then that means the Chargers had the best offense and defense in 2010, yet they didn't even make the playoffs. Pls leave.

Of course he has a long way to go to cement his 1st round pick. He played 1 season. Rome wasn't built in a day. I could make the same case here for McCourty who is coming off the worst statistical season of any CB in the history of the NFL.

Worst statistical season? Pls leave.

He became the first CB in NFL history to allow over 1,000 yards receiving to the receivers he covered in '11. There are many ways to define a CB, but that is a key one, and in that particular area he was the worst.

No, it was the first time that that garbage site PFF had tracked. They've been tracking that for like 3 and a half years. And he also didn't even allow the most yards last season according to them. That would be Tramon Williams.

Typical Jets fan. Sites someone stupid, and gets even that wrong.

This isn't true and you obviously won't find any proof to back up this claim. It is an important stat, I was just pointing out it's main flaw (and yes, it is a big one). This isn't to say yards allowed isn't a flawed stat either, it definitely is. I just can't stand fans who fall back on this stat when it penalizes defenses a lot, especially the Jets last year due to our inept offense and special teams unit, which led the NFL (by a long shot) in points off turnovers.
Are you trying to argue that points for and points against are not the MOST important statistics contributing to win/loss ratios? Nothing else matters in face of points. They determine winners and loser.

You Jets fans give simple a fresh color.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back