PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chandler Jones thought he was going to be a NY Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't in pads, but Rex already has seen what he can do from 1 practice and named him the starter.

In all seriousness, Rex has shown a consistent philosophy of encouraging players by telling them from day one how awesome they are. He seems to put a lot of faith in self-esteem and self-efficacy -- the principle that confidence in your own ability to achieve something helps you achieve it.

But it's now understood that there's a danger in too much ego-pumping. It creates fragility in the face of failure. Kids who grow up being constantly told how awesome they are regardless of what they actually accomplish don't develop the skills and resilience to rebound. Being totally awesome is who they are, and they're prone to crumple when it's pulled out from under them. Like so:

mark-sanchez-jets-patriots-22ff1aaf40c9f3c4_large-420x317.jpeg

In all seriousness, Rex has shown a consistent philosophy of encouraging players by telling them from day one how awesome they are. He seems to put a lot of faith in self-esteem and self-efficacy -- the principle that confidence in your own ability to achieve something helps you achieve it.

But it's now understood that there's a danger in too much ego-pumping. It creates fragility in the face of failure. Kids who grow up being constantly told how awesome they are regardless of what they actually accomplish don't develop the skills and resilience to rebound. Being totally awesome is who they are, and they're prone to crumple when it's pulled out from under them. Like so:

True, and not to mention the complacency it can foster. This is particularly true with a rookie and especially a high draft choice, who was often physically superior to his college competition and now will not be.
Come to think of it, have any of Rex's draft choices, especially the high ones really worked out?
Sanchez is a disaster.
Wilson was awful as a rookie, and not a lot better in year 2.
Ducasse is worse than both of those.
Wilkerson did little as a rookie.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, and not to mention the complacency it can foster. This is particularly true with a rookie and especially a high draft choice, who was often physically superior to his college competition and now will not be.
Come to think of it, have any of Rex's draft choices, especially the high ones really worked out?
Sanchez is a disaster.
Wilson was awful as a rookie, and not a lot better in year 2.
Ducasse is worse than both of those.
Wilkerson did little as a rookie.

I'd give Wilkerson more credit than that, I thought he had a solid rookie year and should have a good career. But Ducasse is a classic, given that the big, big knock on him pre-draft was that he crumples in the face of failure.

I'd give Wilkerson more credit than that, I thought he had a solid rookie year and should have a good career. But Ducasse is a classic, given that the big, big knock on him pre-draft was that he crumples in the face of failure.

Well 'did little' may may be harsh, but Wilkerson got on the field and was decent, but he has a long way to go to live up to first round billing. That defense was not good at all last year, and the DL was a big part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well 'did little' may may be harsh, but Wilkerson got on the field and was decent, but he has a long way to go to live up to first round billing. That defense was not good at all last year, and the DL was a big part of the problem.

This couldn't be further from the truth. The defense was plenty good last year, just not at the level we're used to seeing under Rex. Being the 5th rated defense is hardly an indictment of a defense that isn't good. On top of that, our DL was actually pretty good last year. Our linebackers are the ones that suck.

Wilkerson also had a very solid rookie season. Not spectacular by any stretch, but above average for a rookie which was nice to see given the lack of OTAs due to the lockout.

Also to reply to this thread, I loved the Pats first round picks. Hightower more so than Jones. I think Hightower will be a tremendous ILB and was hoping we'd trade down and grab him and pair him with Harris in the middle. He's the quintessential Belichick player; versatile and extremely intelligent.

I wasn't as high on Jones as others were (Mayock) due to limited production in the Big East conference but he has a very high ceiling, and to grab him where you did was great value. I saw some mocks that him him between 10-13 which I thought was too high for him.

Ryan seems to have a compulsion for hyperbole bordering on the ridiculous:

- Ryan compared Vernon Gholston to Terrell Suggs at his introductory press confereance as Jets HC in 2009, and said that Suggs was considered a "bust" before Ryan because the Baltimore DC in 2005.
- He predicted Derrick Mason would have 90-100 receptions last year. He had all of 13 receptions in 5 games before being traded to Houston.
- He claimed that Kyle Wilson was the top CB in the 2010 draft and that brother Rob (the Cleveland DC at the time) wanted Wilson over Joe Haden.
- He called Mark Sanchez an "elite" QB last pre-season.

As you say, Ryan seems to feel that by excessive praise he'll give players self-confidence. Again, it's fascinating how much the Jets under Ryan are the antithesis of the Pats under BB, in so many ways: big name signings, braggadacio, pre-season hype, love for publicity, approach to team building, and the way they treat players. BB is very sparse in his praise about players, especially rookies who haven't earned their place. Ryan is the opposite.

Anyone else think Rex gets canned in NY if they don't make the playoffs this year???

Anyone else think Rex gets canned in NY if they don't make the playoffs this year???

It would take a lot to get him canned this year (think '11 locker room blow up + not even finishing at .500). I do think if they don't make the playoffs Tannenbaum will be out the door.

Hopefully this is one of those draft snubs where he kills them 2 or 3 times a year for the next decade while the guy they took over him is out of the league in half that time.

It would take a lot to get him canned this year (think '11 locker room blow up + not even finishing at .500). I do think if they don't make the playoffs Tannenbaum will be out the door.

I don't know how they can realistically be expecting to make the playoffs.

Ryan seems to have a compulsion for hyperbole bordering on the ridiculous:

- Ryan compared Vernon Gholston to Terrell Suggs at his introductory press confereance as Jets HC in 2009, and said that Suggs was considered a "bust" before Ryan because the Baltimore DC in 2005.
- He predicted Derrick Mason would have 90-100 receptions last year. He had all of 13 receptions in 5 games before being traded to Houston.
- He claimed that Kyle Wilson was the top CB in the 2010 draft and that brother Rob (the Cleveland DC at the time) wanted Wilson over Joe Haden.
- He called Mark Sanchez an "elite" QB last pre-season.

As you say, Ryan seems to feel that by excessive praise he'll give players self-confidence. Again, it's fascinating how much the Jets under Ryan are the antithesis of the Pats under BB, in so many ways: big name signings, braggadacio, pre-season hype, love for publicity, approach to team building, and the way they treat players. BB is very sparse in his praise about players, especially rookies who haven't earned their place. Ryan is the opposite.

If you take a step back and recognize that BB truly wishes that no one would pay attention, and Rex is actively seeking attention, and often appears to be trying to influence what people think about his team with his comments, you end up with what you just said, everything they do is contrary to each other.

This couldn't be further from the truth. The defense was plenty good last year,

20th is not 'plenty good' out of 32 teams.

just not at the level we're used to seeing under Rex. Being the 5th rated defense is hardly an indictment of a defense that isn't good. On top of that, our DL was actually pretty good last year. Our linebackers are the ones that suck.
5th ranked in yards does no good when you are 20th in points.
I'm not sure what you saw out of your DL that made you feel good. They couldn't rush the passer to save their lives, and the run D was suspect.
In fact, on a team with many holes (QB,OL,WR,DL,ILB, OLB, S), you used your 1st round pick there. It seems your coach and GM disagree.

Wilkerson also had a very solid rookie season. Not spectacular by any stretch, but above average for a rookie which was nice to see given the lack of OTAs due to the lockout.
As I said, he got out there. He has a long way to go to be worthy of a 1st round pcik.

Aww, poor guy, he must have been nearly traumatized by this. Bet he was having nightmares for weeks.

20th is not 'plenty good' out of 32 teams.

5th ranked in yards does no good when you are 20th in points.
I'm not sure what you saw out of your DL that made you feel good. They couldn't rush the passer to save their lives, and the run D was suspect.
In fact, on a team with many holes (QB,OL,WR,DL,ILB, OLB, S), you used your 1st round pick there. It seems your coach and GM disagree.

As I said, he got out there. He has a long way to go to be worthy of a 1st round pcik.

Pts per game is one of the most flawed stats there is. Of course Pats fans run to it because it's the only stat that makes your defense look at best, average. Points per game penalizes your defense for special teams and offensive turnovers resulting in points, something the Jets unfortunately led the NFL in last year with 126. That's how bad those 2 units were and the Jets defense had to take the brunt of it. With Sanchez turning the ball over ad nauseam (pick 6s and fumble returns for TDs) and our 7 ST turnovers (very uncharacteristic of a Mike Westhoff unit) our defense was severely penalized for it.

5th is 5th. You can spin it anyway you like. The Jets defense was well above average last year. You can look at a myriad of other NFL defensive stats and they place in the top 10 in most of them. Defense was prob the only reason we sniffed 8 wins last year.

Where is your logic for showing our GM and HC disagree on the pick? Seems like an irrational statement to me. But I agree, the team has a ton of holes. On the defensive side of the ball though, talent doesn't as matter as much. Rex can field a great defense with a bunch of JAGs out there. The offense will make or break this team as it has the first 3 yrs under Rex.

Of course he has a long way to go to cement his 1st round pick. He played 1 season. Rome wasn't built in a day. I could make the same case here for McCourty who is coming off the worst statistical season of any CB in the history of the NFL.

on edit: That 'suspect run D' was 6th best in the NFL in yards per carry. The total number is misleading since teams are more likely to run on us due to the strength of our passing defense. Your other point is spot on. We suck at rushing the passer. We have it done it successfully minus Rex's exotic blitzes since he's been here hence the Coples pick.

Last edited:
It is just ridiculous to say that Walsh thought Joe Montana was complacent and brought in Steve Young to push him.
Whatever obscure quotes you may want to find, or think you might remember, it is simply ridiculous.

Ok, so I'm wrong because you say I'm wrong, even if I have quotes from people who were there:D Thanks Andy, that added a lot of value.

Pts per game is one of the most flawed stats there is. Of course Pats fans run to it because it's the only stat that makes your defense look at best, average. Points per game penalizes your defense for special teams and offensive turnovers resulting in points, something the Jets unfortunately led the NFL in last year with 126. That's how bad those 2 units were and the Jets defense had to take the brunt of it. With Sanchez turning the ball over ad nauseam (pick 6s and fumble returns for TDs) and our 7 ST turnovers (very uncharacteristic of a Mike Westhoff unit) our defense was severely penalized for it.

5th is 5th. You can spin it anyway you like. The Jets defense was well above average last year. You can look at a myriad of other NFL defensive stats and they place in the top 10 in most of them. Defense was prob the only reason we sniffed 8 wins last year.

Where is your logic for showing our GM and HC disagree on the pick? Seems like an irrational statement to me. But I agree, the team has a ton of holes. On the defensive side of the ball though, talent doesn't as matter as much. Rex can field a great defense with a bunch of JAGs out there. The offense will make or break this team as it has the first 3 yrs under Rex.

Of course he has a long way to go to cement his 1st round pick. He played 1 season. Rome wasn't built in a day. I could make the same case here for McCourty who is coming off the worst statistical season of any CB in the history of the NFL.

on edit: That 'suspect run D' was 6th best in the NFL in yards per carry. The total number is misleading since teams are more likely to run on us due to the strength of our passing defense. Your other point is spot on. We suck at rushing the passer. We have it done it successfully minus Rex's exotic blitzes since he's been here hence the Coples pick.

Pretty much every point you had was valid until I got here:

"...McCourty who is coming off the worst statistical season of any CB in the history of the NFL..."

[citation needed]

Points per game is pretty much the only stat that matters both offensively and defensively. It generally goes a long way to determining the Win/Loss record of any given team.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok, so I'm wrong because you say I'm wrong, even if I have quotes from people who were there:D Thanks Andy, that added a lot of value.

Yet you don't have quotes, so you think you are right because you say you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes