PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

X's & O's Chalk talk: Miami @ NE

RULES FOR THIS THREAD:
1) No attacking or criticizing fellow posters, the players, or the coaching.
2) Stick to breaking down plays, not criticizing performance, execution, or messing up.
3) It's ok to identify who blew a play or assignment, but stop right there.
4) It's ok to disagree with analysis from beat writers, but not to criticize them.
5) No coulda, woulda, shoulda, or Brady woulda's.
Watching the dolphins offense they use a ton of motion, but not in the way most teams do, motion is usually meant to figure out if the defense is in man or zone and to get your smallest guy a free release so he doesn’t get jammed. The Dolphin motion was for neither of those things, so many times they would have Hill line up almost as an offline TE, or in the old wing T a RB, then looking at Tua for the snap count explode out to the slot basically giving him a 5 yard head start in getting up to speed. The timing needs to be exactly right or you get called offsides, and I would imagine a heads up defense now knows the snap count (hill goes, 1 mississippi, snap) but if the ball is coming out in 2 secs anyway who cares. I hope BOB steals some of that for when Thornton comes back.
I thought the offensive played had to be set for 1 sec prior to the snap. If he was getting a running start, wouldn't that be an illegal procedure?

It's only illegal if you block more than 5 yards downfield.
Ball was at 7 and looks like Henry releases his guy at the 3. I thought Collinsworth said 1 yd downfield. Anyway, nice TD.

I thought the offensive played had to be set for 1 sec prior to the snap. If he was getting a running start, wouldn't that be an illegal procedure?
Hmm, you're right. Maybe i am misrembering it and would need to see some film. Though im remembering tons of times gronk would go in motion and be chopping his feet before the snap not fully set. Lateral motion is ok just no forward motion? Id have to see the way the rule is written cuz im not sure. Its a good question.

Ball was at 7 and looks like Henry releases his guy at the 3. I thought Collinsworth said 1 yd downfield. Anyway, nice TD.

Sorry, I whiffed on that. Illegal man downfield = a lineman or ineligible receiver going more than one yard downfield.

Henry is not doing anything illegal. He is not blocking once the ball has passed the LOS.

Not necessarily one second, but he does have to "reset." Otherwise it is an illegal motion.

Sorry, I whiffed on that. Illegal man downfield = a lineman or ineligible receiver going more than one yard downfield.

Henry is not doing anything illegal. He is not blocking once the ball has passed the LOS.
Yea, it wasn't an illegal man downfield that he called out (although apparently there was one of those too).

Seems like receivers can block 1 yd from los and then go on to receive. Henry was blocking 3+ yds downfield and then went on to catch the td.

So the question is: is that a rule on receivers? Just trying to educate myself.

Yea, it wasn't an illegal man downfield that he called out (although apparently there was one of those too).

Seems like receivers can block 1 yd from los and then go on to receive. Henry was blocking 3+ yds downfield and then went on to catch the td.

So the question is: is that a rule on receivers? Just trying to educate myself.

I think the rule is that any blocking is allowed as long as the ball hasn't crossed the LOS.

XXX OOO to one and all! (Am I doing this right?)

"Blocking more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage by an offensive player prior to a pass being thrown is offensive pass interference."

(NFL Rulebook).

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back