PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Also Eddie Jackson at practice

The issue here is your use of adjectives. If Champ Bailey is "on his own level" that would make him "exceptional" not "excellent". If Hobbs is on the third level, as you claim, that puts him at around the top 20-30 guys in the league. I don't see how that isn't "very good". Gay is someone who would be refered to as "fine".

agreed, the adjective bugged me.

but, I wouldn't say that the 30th best CB in the league can be a "very good" player. there are 64 starting CB's. that makes him, by definition, average. if you want to be generous, call him just above average. but the difference between the 25th best CB and the 35th best CB is very small. it's kind of like the 30th best outfielder compared to the 40th best outfielder, the stats aren't that much different.

the separation tends to be at the very top. it's hard to find guys 1-10 or so. it's easy to find guys around 30.

Last edited:

The issue here is your use of adjectives. If Champ Bailey is "on his own level" that would make him "exceptional" not "excellent". If Hobbs is on the third level, as you claim, that puts him at around the top 20-30 guys in the league. I don't see how that isn't "very good". Gay is someone who would be refered to as "fine".

Plus, that poster originally said Hobbs was just "league average" Sorry, but Hobbs isn't a "league average" CB.

agreed, the adjective bugged me.

but, I wouldn't say that the 30th best CB in the league can be a "very good" player. there are 64 starting CB's. that makes him, by definition, average. if you want to be generous, call him just above average. but the difference between the 25th best CB and the 35th best CB is very small. it's kind of like the 30th best outfielder compared to the 40th best outfielder, the stats aren't that much different.

the separation tends to be at the very top. it's hard to find guys 1-10 or so. it's easy to find guys around 30.

Where we disagree is that only starters should be considered. I absolutely would call the 25th best CB in the league very good because teams regularly play 3-4 CBs every game.

My personal opinion on Hobbs is that he is around the 20th best in the league, or said differently, on of the best #2's in the game.

Plus, that poster originally said Hobbs was just "league average" Sorry, but Hobbs isn't a "league average" CB.

I know.

He clearly is the sorries corner in the league. We all know that.

I read the report you're talking about. He only said he thinks Chad is healthy and said something about him adding to what is already a great team. He didn't sound like he intended to give the Pats any problems.

Really, I can't see how anyone would have read that interview any different than an agent talking up his client and I hope that's not all you or anyone else are going on when I see "Chad's gonna make a stink if they IR him" because that's quite the assumption.

Then you read something different from what space and i did.

I don't have. I'm not going to look it up.
But i read it ... and filed it away upstairs for Week 7.

The signal was clear, explicit, and unambiguous.
A shot across the bow.
But really ... who cares what an agent "signals"?

Then you read something different from what space and i did.

I don't have. I'm not going to look it up.
But i read it ... and filed it away upstairs for Week 7.

The signal was clear, explicit, and unambiguous.
A shot across the bow.
But really ... who cares what an agent "signals"?

I read it the same way you did.

oh, I guess you're right!! good argument!

I now remember why I left this board, the pom pom waving and lack of objective thought is hysterical.

the fact that people were excited to get Eddie Jackson back on the field is l-o-l

Last edited:

Hobbs and Gay aren't "very good" they are basically league average guys. any non Patriot pom-pom waving NFL observer will tell you this.

Eddie Jackson is a textbook JAG. he's played 39 games with 0 INT's. a total of 13 tackles

Gay, maybe as you say. Perhaps thats even generous. Perhaps he has become something you haven't noticed. Speaking of such, Hobbs plays the #1 receiver, generally, over Samuel. Samuel, as you may recall, is the "shut-down" corner most people have a hard-on over.

Eddie Jackson? Your guess is as good as mine.

I now remember why I left this board, the pom pom waving and lack of objective thought is hysterical.

the fact that people were excited to get Eddie Jackson back on the field is l-o-l

Man. Hobbs isn't Champ Bailey, but he is pretty fuccing good. Take a look around the league. See how many CBs get burned routinely and get called for flags. Now. Tell me how many times you see that from Hobbs. Again, Hobbs plays the #1 receiver. NOT Samuel (usually).

PS: I actually wrote this after reading your first post, before Bailey was ever referenced, etc.

This will prolly be taken as an insult, but if I were to bet, I'd say you're basing your opinions on written words and not your own eyes. Particularly since even Champ Bailey has been getting "lit up" this year, relatively.

Last edited:

Question, do you even know who Eddie Jackson is? I mean really? Nobody is really "excited" to get him on the field, but if you knew anything about him you'd know that he's a good special teamer and a decent backup CB. In other words I believe he's better than Baker and Mitchell and would upgrade the roster over those two. any improvement is a good one.

Last edited:

Ellis Hobbs is fine, but calling him "very good" is a stretch. he'd be a #2 CB on any good team, and a #3 on some teams like the Broncos, Bears, Jax, Philly, etc.

Champ Bailey is an excellent CB, basically on his own level.

Asante is a very good CB, with a bunch of other guys on the next level.

Ellis Hobbs is fine, but cleary the next level down.

I really don't get this. I just said that the Patriots have "3 very good CBs." Not "3 pro-bowl caliber CBs" or "3 CBs who would be #1 on other teams"! You yourself say that Samuel is "very good" and that Hobbs "would be a #2 CB on any good team" -- and hey, look, he's our #2 CB. Similarly I'd say that Randall Gay "would be a #3 CB on any good team." So that means we have a very good #1, #2 and #3 CB. Right? :confused:

As for Eddie Jackson, nobody's calling for him in the starting lineup. He's obviously battling for the final DB/ST spot. I think he has an excellent chance because a 4th cornerback looks like higher incremental value than a 6th safety.

What will the guy do? Maybe they'll just design a few plays for him, and ease him out there, but that's a roster spot, baby.

Let's get him to run back kickoffs. I'm not too happy with Hobbs aside from his one good one. He's probably not good for more than 22 yards at this point.

but the difference between the 25th best CB and the 35th best CB is very small. .

The difference between being elite in the league and never making is pretty small, too, if you want to get down to it.

In other words I believe he's better than Baker and Mitchell and would uprgrade the roster over those two. any improvement is a good one.

Mitchell was better than Izzo on ST. We've never seen it and his window is closing, unfortunately. Eddie Jackson had a decent rep, but he is not the type of guy you immediately jump on to be the man. He was hot sh!t here and there, but he is trying out for a spot at this point. Not saying he can't do it, but don't get caught up with him.

Let's get him to run back kickoffs. I'm not too happy with Hobbs aside from his one good one. He's probably not good for more than 22 yards at this point.

I hope this is sarcasm. I said last year that Hobbs was electric on KO. I was laughed out of the park. Rather, I was ignored. He now owns the all-time record. He could continue to be electric if the scheme utilized his talents and he didn't run into roadblocks.

I don't really see it happening but given the lack of depth at TE, Jackson could find a place on the team as another tall receiver.

The problem is I can't really say that much about his NFL route running at this point, though he seemed to have some skills in that regard at Florida...

but as it stands Washington could find himself getting more reps at WR opening a spot on the roster for Jackson..

I still see him going back to IR but one never knows

I read it the same way you did.

I think both of you are reading to far into that article. Here is the only quote from his agent in the entire piece:

The strongest football team in the NFL gets stronger in three weeks, He's very excited about being able to get out there with the guys. He's healthy.

Now, that sounds like kind words toward the Pats, sounds like he believes Chad is good, and sounds like he believes Chad to be healthy. Sounds like classic agent speak.

Here's what chad said in that article:

When asked if he was becoming impatient:

No, not at all, I'm being patient, standing back and staying in the playbook. I'm just staying focused on what I need to do. I have a few more weeks to go. Hopefully I'll get out and contribute to the team.

Article section featuring more Jackson quotes (on the new receiving threats, team progression, and his hopes of being involved):

"It's exciting watching a guy like Moss and all the other receivers — they're doing a pretty good job," said Jackson.

"Right now we've got to keep focused and keep progressing with Tom (Brady) and everything will keep going right along ... I'm proud to be a player in this great organization with Bill (Belichick) and Mr. (Robert) Kraft running it. The offense and defense is just clicking right now. Like coach Belichick said, 'You hope didn't have your heart set on just winning two or three games.' We've got to win more games and keep progressing on during the season."

He's just hoping to be a part of it starting in late October.

"There's a lot of balls being thrown," he said, "and, I want to catch some."

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/SPORTS/709270401

i cant see chad leaving...

not when he is here with moss, and stallworth...no way...and with this team, and this QB...

i dont think we are going to keep both moss and stallworth for next yr...i would love to...but i believe one of them will be replaced by chad...

i cant see chad leaving...

not when he is here with moss, and stallworth...no way...and with this team, and this QB...

i dont think we are going to keep both moss and stallworth for next yr...i would love to...but i believe one of them will be replaced by chad...
I hope not.I'll take Moss & Stallworth over Chad any day.

I think both of you are reading to far into that article. Here is the only quote from his agent in the entire piece:

Now, that sounds like kind words toward the Pats, sounds like he believes Chad is good, and sounds like he believes Chad to be healthy. Sounds like classic agent speak.

Here's what chad said in that article:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/SPORTS/709270401

Sorry to be short with you, seb.
Certainly no disrespect intended. I like what you bring here.
But wrangling over this little point is becoming tedious.

Space and Owl and i are referring to something that appeared
MORE THAN 3 weeks ago.
Jackson himself was not quoted in the report we remember.

If CJ's agent muted the rhetoric ... so much the better.
But it's all only straws in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back