PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Also Eddie Jackson at practice

Also eddie jackson at practice...nice...

Very happy about this. Right now the Pats have 3 very good CBs, then bubkes. I'd like to see one of those final DB/ST slots filled by an actual cornerback.

Very happy about this. Right now the Pats have 3 very good CBs, then bubkes. I'd like to see one of those final DB/ST slots filled by an actual cornerback.

As always, the question then becomes,
Who Goes ?
when EddieJ stays.

But does Eddie Jackson qualify here? I'd love to think he's something special but isn't he a JAG?

But does Eddie Jackson qualify here? I'd love to think he's something special but isn't he a JAG?
Yeah, who the heck is this guy ?

Washington hasn't done anything all year. Gaffney is a wily veteran. If I have to choose between Jackson and Washington for a "potential" guy, I take Jackson.

I think some people overestimate Washington's value. He's rarely, if ever, on the field. Gaffney is on the field quite a bit.

Not true. KW is not on the field much at WR but he is on most if not all the STs and has looked good to me in coverage. Gaffney cannot fill that role. CJ can fill both roles (WR and ST), which is how he got hurt in the first place...

Last edited:

Sure, but when I say "bubkes" I mean bubkes! Look at the DB roster:

Safety:
Harrison
Wilson
Sanders
Meriweather
Mitchell
Baker

Cornerback:

Samuel
Hobbs
Gay

That's just out of whack, don't you think? No offense to Rashad Baker, but Jackson gets his spot.

Yeah, who the heck is this guy ?
Scouting report:

Jackson has a decent combination of size and athletic skills. He has some play strength and can have some success from a press position. He matches up pretty well against bigger receivers downfield when the ball is up. He can open his hips in transition and run with vertical routes. He has enough short-area quickness to close on plays in front of him. But Jackson lacks experience and is inconsistent in run support. His play recognition and zone awareness aren't great. He doesn't play to his timed speed. He has an upright pedal and limited bend. He doesn't show a lot of suddenness and lacks ideal range in deep zones. His balance and tackling are liabilities against the run. He isn't physical in separating from blocks. [ESPN]

ALSO as per Reiss:
March 21, 2007
Jackson's deal
The contract signed by free-agent CB Eddie Jackson with the Patriots is a two-year package.

His base salaries are $510,000 in 2007 and $605,000 in 2008. The deal does not include a signing bonus.

Last edited:

Scouting report:
Thanks.

He was in the 2004 draft, these were his numbers from NFL Draft Scout :

"Senior cornerback EDDIE JACKSON... weighed in at 5116, 197 pounds... nearly ten pounds heavier than he was during the season... ran between 4.45 and 4.50 in the 40... 4.10 short shuttle... 6.81 in the three cone... 11.12 60-yard shuttle... 33.5"

To compare the numbers, Hobbs had :

short shuttle : 4.08
3 cone : 6.80

So Jackson seems to be reasonably athletic for his good size.

Thanks.

"Senior cornerback EDDIE JACKSON... weighed in at 5116, 197 pounds... nearly ten pounds heavier than he was during the season... ran between 4.45 and 4.50 in the 40... 4.10 short shuttle... 6.81 in the three cone... 11.12 60-yard shuttle... 33.5"

good insight, thanks. LINK?! (j/k)

Interesting to hear. Would love to have Chad Jackson on the 53, if at all possible, 'though I don't wish injury on anyone. I still think he'll wind up on IR as a "healthy-ish stash," but we'll just have to see.

linky goodness, please?

Strongly disagree. This could be Moss's only year with Pats (at least that is my prediction), and this would be a great year for CJ to learn and without high expectations. Missing all or most of 2 years would be a big setback for his development IMHO.

If you rewatch the the Dallas game, Brady gave it to Gaffney a little bit for misreading a coverage (in the Patriots scheme, both the WR & the QB have to read and adjust to the coverage). Jackson is a talent, he did score 3TDs in only a few games last year. I wouldn't mind seeing him in there in a 3 WR set with Moss, Stallworth.

Once again who are you gonna cover.

Gaffney isn't going anywhere. If any receiver gets the axe (unlikely), it's Washington. But not for a few more weeks at least.

Gaffney isn't going anywhere. If any receiver gets the axe (unlikely), it's Washington. But not for a few more weeks at least.

I was high on Gafney (not in a Moss way, of course, but optimistic based on how he ended last year) but he hasn't shown nearly as much as I would have hoped. I can see the rationale that he knows the offense better than any other active WR at the moment in case of an injury, but that is about it. As long as Jackson has his head on straight and he shows that he has learned the playbook, I don't see why Gafney is considered that secure in his spot.

And Washington is a complete bottom of the roster guy. I will be surprised if Washington *isn't* cut or traded to make room for a PUP.

Hell yes I have my Jackson jersey waiting in the closet never worn.
Maybe my Chad Jackson card collection will be worth something after all:rocker:
I have high hopes for this kid go pats!

Strongly disagree. This could be Moss's only year with Pats (at least that is my prediction), and this would be a great year for CJ to learn and without high expectations. Missing all or most of 2 years would be a big setback for his development IMHO.

I really hope you're right. CJ is almost at binky-level for me (for no particular reason minus a few flashes last year when he produced a little here and there.)

I was high on Gafney (not in a Moss way, of course, but optimistic based on how he ended last year) but he hasn't shown nearly as much as I would have hoped.

Well, I wasn't high on Gaffney. I still think Caldwell was the better option and he was cu because of money rather than performance. Gaffney doesn't get great separation and isn't a great route runner, which Brady demands from a 4th receiver.

But regardless of this, I don't think Gaffney is going anywhere. The fact that he hasn't shown much is because he is playing behind guys like Moss, Stalworth, Welker, Watson, and Faulk.... Not because he hasn't played well. He just isn't getting the touches because the offense is working so well.

Thanks.

He was a special teams demon with the dolphins and flashed signes of development at CB. Saban liked Eddie and was trying to develope him into a good CB before the injury. The fact that BB signed him to a two year contract even though he already had an ACL tells you he believes the kid might be able to contribute at some point. If he can get on the field and stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually becomes the 4th CB this year and maybe the 3rd CB in '08. He's also got some FS ability. Now, his recovering from the injury will obviously decide a lot of this.

Also, I believe Chad is 100% that's what I've heard for a little while now and he's been dying to get in the field. during the offseason Sources close to Chad said he was working his ass off at Gillette and that was later echoed by teammates & coaches. My cousin who had the same ACL replacement is also a speedy WR and he returned from his ACL 6 months after injury. His Doctors said they believe he's 100%. His doctors did say he recovered faster than most people, but they've seen other athletes recover that fast before. He's been on the field pretty much all season without incident. ACL's aren't always taking 1 year to 2 years to recover from anymore.

Oh, and do we actually know Chad or his agent claimed they would complain if he was placed on the IR? I heard a rumor about it but I don't remember if anyone ever actually quoted either of them as saying this in an article? For the record if I believed myself healthy I wouldn't want to be placed on the IR for stashing either, especially with Chad's talent and the Patriots current team. I'd be dying to get out there and be a part of it.

I'm kind of surprised Seymour didn't get activated to practice at the same time. Seymour and his teammates have been saying he's ready to go. Schefter, Riess, and other have all hinted to his return coming sooner than later....Ah, we'll see. BB could be waiting on him until he knows for sure he's 100% just like he has Maroney. It's good but also kind of strange to see how cautious BB has been with injuries this year.

Kelly Washington has been effective on special teams but he's missed some time with his own injuries and he really hasn't done anything at WR. Eddie could provide as much or more on special teams and he gives depth at CB. Chad has even more special teams ability than Washington and I believe has more talent at WR, so if either of those two are ready to go within the next three weeks I could see them taking Washington's spot.

Last edited:

Hobbs and Gay aren't "very good" they are basically league average guys. any non Patriot pom-pom waving NFL observer will tell you this.

Eddie Jackson is a textbook JAG. he's played 39 games with 0 INT's. a total of 13 tackles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye