PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chad Jackson at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Also Eddie Jackson at practice

Hobbs and Gay aren't "very good" they are basically league average guys. any non Patriot pom-pom waving NFL observer will tell you this.

Ever see Hobbs shutdown Lee Evans? He's done so multiple times. Sorry, but Hobbs is a good CB.

Last edited:
I think many of us thought the Jackson 2 would have been the last of the four PUPers to hit the practice field. Hopefully Chad took a lot of notes from Randy, Donte and Wes.

Well, maybe Kelly Washington does get the axe in place of Eddie Jackson. Gives us more depth at CB, plus gives us another special teams ace. I don't know who we would cut or place on IR to get Chad on the roster. I'm thinking now that it may be Rashad Baker.

He was a special teams demon with the dolphins and flashed signes of development at CB. Saban liked Eddie and was trying to develope him into a good CB before the injury. The fact that BB signed him to a two year contract even though he already had an ACL tells you he believes the kid might be able to contribute at some point. If he can get on the field and stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually becomes the 4th CB this year and maybe the 3rd CB in '08. He's also got some FS ability. Now, his recovering from the injury will obviously decide a lot of this.

GRRRREAT post overall but this was especially illuminating. Thanks. Hope your suspicions prove correct.

Great to see that Chad's back. I still hope he'll make an impact on the Patriots one day. Personally, I'd rather see Washington cut to make room than Gaffney.

Have there been any Richard Seymour sightings? I can't wait to see that big fella out there destroying offensive lines.

Last edited:
God, how I miss the formerly ubiquitous "Chad Jackson thread"!

Glad to have it back.

Remember the days when we were desperate to have him in the game just to have a deep threat? Ah those were the times, weren't they?
Ah.. memories of yesteryear...last December :)

Well, I wasn't high on Gaffney. I still think Caldwell was the better option and he was cu because of money rather than performance. Gaffney doesn't get great separation and isn't a great route runner, which Brady demands from a 4th receiver.

But regardless of this, I don't think Gaffney is going anywhere. The fact that he hasn't shown much is because he is playing behind guys like Moss, Stalworth, Welker, Watson, and Faulk.... Not because he hasn't played well. He just isn't getting the touches because the offense is working so well.

Sure that is part of it, but I haven't been all that impressed when he did see the field.

Sure, but when I say "bubkes" I mean bubkes! Look at the DB roster:

Safety:
Harrison
Wilson
Sanders
Meriweather
Mitchell
Baker

Cornerback:

Samuel
Hobbs
Gay

That's just out of whack, don't you think? No offense to Rashad Baker, but Jackson gets his spot.

Agreed. Trade a marginal safety STer for a CB STer.

Agreed. Trade a marginal safety STer for a CB STer.

It could happen but why all the love for Jackson? When you compare the two players:
- Jackson looks like a marginal CB who might be able to play special teams (coming off a major injury)
- Baker - looks like a marginal Safety who can play special teams

I don't think the two year salary means much, Rivers signed a two year deal was cut the next day, waited around and signed another two year deal.

Jackson is shiny and new but is a bottom of the roster guy just like Baker.

I still say that Jackson will take Gaffney's place. I realize there's some risk to that as Gaffney is more ready to contribute if injuries hit but with Gaffney not seeing the field much anymore and Washington playing on ST, that's the move I expect in a few weeks.
I think it more likely he take Washington's place. Washington's only contribution to the Pats is special teams, which Jackson also does. Gaffney does things Jackson does not, like forceful run blocking.

I think it more likely he take Washington's place. Washington's only contribution to the Pats is special teams, which Jackson also does. Gaffney does things Jackson does not, like forceful run blocking.

They used Jackson to run block last season and he fared well. They used him in some 1 wide power sets. Can't remember the specific games, but Maroney did well in that formation if I recall.

Still, I'd love to see C. Jackson on the roster, but why cut either Gaffney or Washington? There's plenty of bubble players at other positions, I don't see why they need to limit themselves to 5-wide. Particularly with Watson out for any length of time, I'm guessing they might employ some 4-wide sets to make up for losing him as a weapon.

Last edited:
Washington has been inactive with hammy issues. Bet he hits IR soon.

Oh, and do we actually know Chad or his agent claimed they would complain if he was placed on the IR? I heard a rumor about it but I don't remember if anyone ever actually quoted either of them as saying this in an article? For the record if I believed myself healthy I wouldn't want to be placed on the IR for stashing either, especially with Chad's talent and the Patriots current team. I'd be dying to get out there and be a part of it.
The agent mde some noise about it a month or so ago, stating categorically that Jackson was fully healed and ready to play. He also made noises from which it was quite easy to see that he would object if Jackson was IRed.

He did not of course say for the record, "I will lodge a complaint if the Patriots illegally try to stash Chad on IR." He made his point very clearly without being confrontational.

They used Jackson to run block last season and he fared well. They used him in some 1 wide power sets. Can't remember the specific games, but Maroney did well in that formation if I recall.

Still, I'd love to see C. Jackson on the roster, but why cut either Gaffney or Washington? There's plenty of bubble players at other positions, I don't see why they need to limit themselves to 5-wide. Particularly with Watson out for any length of time, I'm guessing they might employ some 4-wide sets to make up for losing him as a weapon.

I don't see how replacing Washington with Jackson limits NE in any way. Frankly, Washington has done little with the team beyond special teams anyway, so his loss would be inconsequential.

I also have a hard time finding other guys to get rid of that won't possibly/likely be replaced by someone else coming off PUP (eg. Eddie Jackson/Baker, Santonio Thomas/Seymour.)

Injuries are clearly going to be a main factor, but outside of that, I don't see the downside of keeping Jackson over Washington, assuming he is committed, of course.

Hobbs and Gay aren't "very good" they are basically league average guys. any non Patriot pom-pom waving NFL observer will tell you this.

Eddie Jackson is a textbook JAG. he's played 39 games with 0 INT's. a total of 13 tackles
sniffle sniffle. Must suck not to be a Pats fan these days.

sniffle sniffle. Must suck not to be a Pats fan these days.

I am a Pats fan. what must suck is the inability to look at things objectively.

Ellis Hobbs is fine, but calling him "very good" is a stretch. he'd be a #2 CB on any good team, and a #3 on some teams like the Broncos, Bears, Jax, Philly, etc.

Champ Bailey is an excellent CB, basically on his own level.

Asante is a very good CB, with a bunch of other guys on the next level.

Ellis Hobbs is fine, but cleary the next level down.

I see this as a double positive for our team.
And I trust BB to field the team which gives us the best chances.
As of now, I would not be surprised to see Washington and Baker go to IR,
to clear room for these guys if they are improvements.
But better to wait as long as possible just in case we put another guy on IR.
I'm fine with T Brown and Seymour coming back a little later...just as long as we beat INDY of course.:D :p :D

The agent mde some noise about it a month or so ago, stating categorically that Jackson was fully healed and ready to play. He also made noises from which it was quite easy to see that he would object if Jackson was IRed.

He did not of course say for the record, "I will lodge a complaint if the Patriots illegally try to stash Chad on IR." He made his point very clearly without being confrontational.

I read the report you're talking about. He only said he thinks Chad is healthy and said something about him adding to what is already a great team. He didn't sound like he intended to give the Pats any problems.

Really, I can't see how anyone would have read that interview any different than an agent talking up his client and I hope that's not all you or anyone else are going on when I see "Chad's gonna make a stink if they IR him" because that's quite the assumption.

I am a Pats fan. what must suck is the inability to look at things objectively.

Ellis Hobbs is fine, but calling him "very good" is a stretch. he'd be a #2 CB on any good team, and a #3 on some teams like the Broncos, Bears, Jax, Philly, etc.

Champ Bailey is an excellent CB, basically on his own level.

Asante is a very good CB, with a bunch of other guys on the next level.

Ellis Hobbs is fine, but cleary the next level down.

The issue here is your use of adjectives. If Champ Bailey is "on his own level" that would make him "exceptional" not "excellent". If Hobbs is on the third level, as you claim, that puts him at around the top 20-30 guys in the league. I don't see how that isn't "very good". Gay is someone who would be refered to as "fine".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back