PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS discussing bad coaching moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and I don't totally agree with the person that you were responding to either, but I also think that Parcells has been generally overrated as a coach. He was lucky enough to have Belichick around for a long time, and look at what he did without him (not much). Belichick is the opposite extreme, in that he never calls anyone out publicly, and I daresay that he could pretty much write the book on how to properly motivate and manage players.

But what's happening is that people are starting to think that there's only one "right" way to do a lot of things that have multiple avenues to success. From Lombardi to Coughlin, hardasses have been successful in the NFL, no matter when or where they called out their players.

Last edited:
But what's happening is that people are starting to think that there's only one "right" way to do a lot of things that have multiple avenues to success. From Lombardi to Coughlin, hardasses have been successful in the NFL, no matter when or where they called out their players.

Calling out players to their face, in a team environment without the media around, to my view, is a lot "harder" than grandstanding to the media. People respect you a lot more when you tell them those things to their face, and look them in the eye. That's what I'm getting at.

Calling out players to their face, in a team environment without the media around, to my view, is a lot "harder" than grandstanding to the media. People respect you a lot more when you tell them those things to their face, and look them in the eye. That's what I'm getting at.

I understand what you're getting at. I don't agree with you, and gave examples of respected coaches who had no problem calling out players in public. Some people respond well to soothing voices. Some people need a boot in the ass. It's why I said that we won't know if it was a good move until down the road.

Last edited:
I understand what you're getting at. I don't agree with you, and gave examples of respected coaches who had no problem calling out players in public. Some people respond well to soothing voices. Some people need a boot in the ass. It's why I said that we won't know if it was a good move until down the road.

Agree to disagree I guess - if I've got a guy who needs to be called out publicly to get motivated I don't want him on my team and I don't waste the energy on him. I get a better player and move on.

There is alot of bad coaching going on in the league this year. Where I am really noticing it is in clock management at the of the half and the end of games. Today, while watching the Bills game, the Bills had no time outs with 2 minutes to go in the first half and again no time outs with 3 minutes to go in the game? How does this kind of thing repeatedly happen??
We are spolied with BB's game management abilities.

Singletary- they claim he was wrong for calling out Davis. ????
Agree. If there is one thing Belichick, Landry, Lombardi, Shula, Walsh, etc etc have in common is that you should publicly humiliate your players on national TV.

He also dropped his pants. Weird, yes, but he needs to be drastic to fix that mess.
Agree. I think we should stop focusing on dropping the pants and talk about how effective it was in inspiring the 49ers to play better and win the game in the second half.

There are lots of things Singletary can do besides indecent exposure and throwing his players under the bus. While BB and Dungy and Fisher are wasting valuable time studying game tape and coaching players, Singletary is filling balloons with water to throw at players who false start, and buying cushions that make fart noises for DBs who get caught holding to sit on.

I see Coach of the Year coming, and since this is a copycat league, how soon before we see coaches on the sidelines with big orange hair, gigantic red noses, and size 56 shoes juggling while riding a unicycle?

Maybe a new 49er team intro where a Volkswagen Beetle drive onto the field and all the coaches and players pile out of it?

Cable- The Raiders coach had his team practice touchdown celebrations.

That is a good idea.
The players appreciate it, also. When they are free agents and go to another team, they can spend more time on the new playbook because they will have a whole repetoire of unused celebrations.

I am glad to see the coaches stepping up. These teams take on the personality of their coaches.
I can't wait to see the new 49er uniforms. Shirts, shoes and helmets. Oh, boy. CBS is already beefing up their 5-second delay switch :eek:

I understand what you're getting at. I don't agree with you, and gave examples of respected coaches who had no problem calling out players in public.
I've been watching football since the 50's and have never seen anything like this. Parcell's referring to Glenn as she wasn't even close to Singletary's rant.

Some people need a boot in the ass.
No one is arguing this. The question is whether it is better to talk to the player directly and tell him what you don't like, or go through the media to do it.

I
It's why I said that we won't know if it was a good move until down the road.
Did the 49ers outscore their opponents in the second half?

If you made a mistake at your job, what would motivate you better? For your boss to take you aside and explain what was wrong? To talk with you and your workground behind closed doors? Or to go on local TV and blast you personally?

I've been watching football since the 50's and have never seen anything like this. Parcell's referring to Glenn as she wasn't even close to Singletary's rant.

Sure you've seen things like this if you've been watching games for as long as you claim (and I have no reason to doubt you).

No one is arguing this. The question is whether it is better to talk to the player directly and tell him what you don't like, or go through the media to do it.

No, that's not the question, and that's not how the issue was posed here in the thread, certainly not in my response. My response mentioned calling the guy out on the field, and sending him to the locker room.

Did the 49ers outscore their opponents in the second half?

That doesn't matter, and you know it. Come on, now...

If you made a mistake at your job, what would motivate you better? For your boss to take you aside and explain what was wrong? To talk with you and your workground behind closed doors? Or to go on local TV and blast you personally?

Again, some people need to be coddled and others need to get a boot in the ass. Others just need to be told that they erred. If I knew I'd screwed up, it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference to me if you chewed me out in private or on national television. Neither form would serve as motivation to me, because that's not how my mind works. The motivation of knowing I was wrong would be enough. On the other hand, I've had teammates who needed to be yelled at, and I had others who would completely shut down if they were yelled at. Knowing how to motivate the different personality types is part of coaching.

I recall an instance when BB very publicly called out a player - in a playoff game, no less!

Back in '05, in the playoff loss to Denver, I recall BB yelling at Kevin Faulk as he came in off the field after yet another Patriot fumble that resulted in a Denver recovery. BB was yelling at Faulk making his displeasure known on no uncertain terms, and Faulk was yelling back at him. That was an uncomfortable moment, I thought.

However, you will note the success Faulk has had in protecting that ball since that game. I think he's only fumbled once.

Extraordinary!

(I not only remember this - I still have that game on my old computer's hard drive!)

I recall an instance when BB very publicly called out a player - in a playoff game, no less!

Back in '05, in the playoff loss to Denver, I recall BB yelling at Kevin Faulk as he came in off the field after yet another Patriot fumble that resulted in a Denver recovery. BB was yelling at Faulk making his displeasure known on no uncertain terms, and Faulk was yelling back at him. That was an uncomfortable moment, I thought.

However, you will note the success Faulk has had in protecting that ball since that game. I think he's only fumbled once.

Extraordinary!

(I not only remember this - I still have that game on my old computer's hard drive!)

There's a lot of equivocation in this thread about the meaning of publicly: is it to the players face or is it to the media? This example is fine - it's what coaches do. But if BB talked crap about Faulk in his press conference, that's an issue. Likewise, benching Davis if he doesn't play right is fine, but sending him to the showers is public in that the media will be all over it. Probably counter-productive.

BB also chewed out Sauerbraun (sp?) but when asked about it in his press conference he kept things close to the vest. I think this is a good approach.

Extraordinary!

NOT the same thing as a postgame evisceration.

As a day 0 pats fan I can tell you that in MANY games BB chews someone a new one. I remember him going ballistic against Romeo one game for about 5 minutes. I was sitting behind the bench. In game blowups aren't the same as going nuclear afterwards in a press conf. When has BB ever done that about/to a player???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back