PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB / ST player Kyle Arrington re-signs for 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the deal for 2013 and 2014. The last two years would be manageable if we see an increase in the salary cap.

A closer look at the four-year, $16 million contract signed by cornerback Kyle Arrington:

Signing bonus: $6.5 million

Base salary: $1 million (fully guaranteed)
Cap charge: $2.62 million
Incentives: $250,000 (Pro Bowl)

Base salary: $2 million ($1 million guaranteed)
Cap charge: $3.62 million

Base salary: $3 million
Cap charge: $4.625 million

Base salary: $3.5 million
Cap charge: $5.125 million

A 3.62 cap hit in 2014 for Kyle Arrington come on that's insane. Any mid range draft pick could do what he does for 1/5 of that.

He was reportedly looking for starting CB money. For what the market has been this year, he seems to have succeeded. Belichick hasn't just been penny wise and pound foolish this year. So far, he's been both penny foolish [highlight]and[/highlight] pound foolish.

On the other hand, you're talking about Antoine Cason. He sucks.

I think it is a little to early to tell if the pats haven't been penny wise and pound foolish.

A 3.62 cap hit in 2014 for Kyle Arrington come on that's insane. Any mid range draft pick could do what he does for 1/5 of that.

I would agree if the Pats had a history of drafting decent CB's. I also hope he can stay in the slot for the entire season. He has had to play outside and inside due to injuries. I thought the secondary looked much better when Dennard and Talib were on the outside and Arrington played the slot.

Duplicate post. Sorry.

We haven't spent on mid range and higher draft picks?

Where are they? I know what Arrington does.

Somebody hasn't seen Arrington's stats since being moved to the slot...

One thing overlooked is Kyle's durability. Dependable and works hard.

The Pats have shown that durability isn't a consideration in re signing players (see Welker /Amendola). The working hard part can describe virtually all the players, heck it would even describe me if I was out there. I'd work harder than anyone on the team but I'd still horridly suck.

Arrington covers better in the slot and only "really sucks" every place else.

Arrington is a slight notch about JAG status...yay.

The Pats have shown that durability isn't a consideration in re signing players (see Welker /Amendola). The working hard part can describe virtually all the players, heck it would even describe me if I was out there. I'd work harder than anyone on the team but I'd still horridly suck.

Arrington covers better in the slot and only "really sucks" every place else.

Arrington is a slight notch about JAG status...yay.

The fact that the Patriots had to give up what they did to retain him suggest otherwise. Cole is a JAG.

You think after playing hardball with Welker they'd overpay for Arrington? Lol

Somebody hasn't seen Arrington's stats since being moved to the slot...

I've seen his stats but I also saw his stats to outside receivers, so what happens when teams recognize that and use their slot players on out and up moves or motion them out of the slot?

I've seen his stats but I also saw his stats to outside receivers, so what happens when teams recognize that and use their slot players on out and up moves or motion them out of the slot?
If they motion their slot receiver outside, then Arrington and whoever the outside CB is can switch receivers. And suddenly Arrington is covering the slot receiver again.

And Arrington did just fine in three games outside at the end of the season (Jacksonville, Miami, Baltimore). He had problems to start the season, but his 10 solid games to end the season should carry just as much weight as his early season dumpster fire-ness.

If they motion their slot receiver outside, then Arrington and whoever the outside CB is can switch receivers. And suddenly Arrington is covering the slot receiver again.

And Arrington did just fine in three games outside at the end of the season (Jacksonville, Miami, Baltimore). He had problems to start the season, but his 10 solid games to end the season should carry just as much weight as his early season dumpster fire-ness.

Maybe you're right just seems like a lot to pay for him.

They'll play musical chairs with Arrington and the outside CB switching. In the end it's the offense on a time limit.

But ultimately even if teams kick their slot player outside and Arrington does go with him, you have a player who probably is not suited to the outside playing outside, making him easier to cover for Arrington anyway.

Yes and Yes.

There was only one question and you failed to provide a justification for why the Patriots, notorious for underpaying and being strictly concerned with value would overpay for talent.

This isn't even an Ocho type case where you couldn't really know how things would turn out. The Patriots know who Arrington is.

Arrington is just another example of exactly how LITTLE we fans actually know (despite what we think ;).....or at least some of us here think. :eek: )

When his contract numbers were published they were as surprising as Welker's were, but in the opposite direction. Most of us felt Welker would get a lot more, and Arrington would get a lot less.

What that SHOULD show most Pats fans is that not only did the Pats brain trust view Kyle as more valuable that we did, so did the rest of the league, because, as we should know by now, the Pats don't often bid against themselves. There was clearly some other interest out there.

Perhaps what Sciz alluded to is closer to the truth than we realize. That over the last 10 games of the season, Arrington's work both in the slot and the outside led the Pats to believe he could be a valuable "starter" as the slot corner, and an adequate back up on the outside.

Arrington is just another example of exactly how LITTLE we fans actually know (despite what we think ;).....or at least some of us here think. :eek: )

When his contract numbers were published they were as surprising as Welker's were, but in the opposite direction. Most of us felt Welker would get a lot more, and Arrington would get a lot less.

What that SHOULD show most Pats fans is that not only did the Pats brain trust view Kyle as more valuable that we did, so did the rest of the league, because, as we should know by now, the Pats don't often bid against themselves. There was clearly some other interest out there.

Perhaps what Sciz alluded to is closer to the truth than we realize. That over the last 10 games of the season, Arrington's work both in the slot and the outside led the Pats to believe he could be a valuable "starter" as the slot corner, and an adequate back up on the outside.

and a top special teamer that didn't require a separate special team slot.

Pars fans should not be at all surprised that a versatile depth player was signed early and to a contract that was flattering and a vote of confidence. Nothing they do likely differentiates them more with the rest of the league.

QBs targeting Arrington in the first 8 games:
28/37, 432 yards, 4 TDs, 75.68% completion, 11.68 YPA, 149.83 rating

QBs targeting Arrington in the final 8 regular season games plus 2 playoff games:
23/52, 329 yards, 1 TD, 44.23% completion, 6.33 YPA, 71.71 rating

Arrington played 436 total snaps over the first 8 games and 502 over the next 10. If someone has how many passing play snaps he played, that'd be even better, as my assumption is that a higher percentage of those 502 were passing plays since he was in a subpackage role for 7 of the 10 games.

All stats from http://davebreaksdownfilm.blogspot.com/

Someone please remind me to bump this thread next season when the "underrated/salary earning" Arrington repeatedly gets torched deep like an oily rag or commits yet another back breaking PI.

...thankee.

There was only one question and you failed to provide a justification for why the Patriots, notorious for underpaying and being strictly concerned with value would overpay for talent.

This isn't even an Ocho type case where you couldn't really know how things would turn out. The Patriots know who Arrington is.

I failed to provide a justification for why the Pats overpaid for Arrington at the expense of underpaying
(or attempting to underpay) Welker & Woody because there is no justification for it.

My impression is that Arrington played through some bumps and bruises early in the season and kept quite about them.

I would rather see the team overpay market slighlty for an existing guy on the roster who has been a good soldier than look elsewhere. Of course I felt that way about the slot reciever postion as well...

Arrington got a pretty high initial bonus, but if Arrington stinks it up as bad as many on this thread think he will, then he will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes