PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CB Kyle Arrington Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really crazy.

Cap move? Tiny savings.
Restructure? Why not restructure like Mayo Wilfork Amendola etc.
Overpaid? Not by much as the starting slot corner.

You think that a starting slot corner is worth $3M+. Apparently, Belichick disagrees.

You think that a starting slot corner is worth $3M+. Apparently, Belichick disagrees.

He didn't disagree prior to this season. Perhaps this is more about last year's play. Ryan ended up with more snaps than Arrington last year.

Fletcher's been garbage post-injury. If he's in your top 4, that's not a good thing.

Mgteich had an issue with this post. Mgteich's apparently lost his mind.

Short of a trade;

Cb1 = Fletcher
CB2 = butler
Nickel = Ryan or chikwa

McClain is our starting nickel back. That's what he was hired to do. He directly replaces Arrington. He is is solid as a nickel and is terrible outside.

Ryan was an OK outside corner, when we played lots more zone. He is our backup outside corner.

Chekwa is a special teamer. We've had special teamers as the #5 corner before.

He didn't disagree prior to this season. Perhaps this is more about last year's play. Ryan ended up with more snaps than Arrington last year.

Last year the new money was only $2M. There was LOTS of discussion about 2014 being a year where Arrington has to prove that he was worth $3M of new money. I would suggest that Arrington's 2014 play did not convince Belichick that was worth $3M of new money. Personally, I thought that he played OK and might be extended.

Last year the new money was only $2M. There was LOTS of discussion about 2014 being a year where Arrington has to prove that he was worth $3M of new money. I would suggest that Arrington's 2014 play did not convince Belichick that was worth $3M of new money. Personally, I thought that he played OK and might be extended.

New money ignores signing bonus. Come on, now. His signing bonus, spread out over 4 years, was $6.5m (1.625 per year), meaning he made $3.625 in 2014. Your claim was that he wasn't worth $3m+.

For 2 seasons of play, he took home:

6.5 (sb)
1 base
2 base
= $9.5m

In other words, his getting cut means he got paid an average of $4.75m per year.

Mgteich had an issue with this post. Mgteich's apparently lost his mind.

You posted,
Fletcher's been garbage post-injury. If he's in your top 4, that's not a good thing.

I disagreed with your post. And your conclusion is that I've lost my mind. What a high opinion you have of your analysis!

Might I suggest that Belichick many options in the off-season and in the draft. What Belichick chose to do was to hire the very experienced Fletcher to compete for a starting job, and probably start. You don't think that Fletcher is worth of being the 4th corner on your team. So be it. I'm glad your not the GM.

You look at last year when his team misused him. I suppose that you didn't much of Belichick hiring Chung in 2014. after he was so awful the year before.

For me, if Fletcher is our #4, we'll be in very good shape. That would mean that three corners are better than Fletcher in our new defensive scheme. However, I don't expect Fletcher to our #4. He'll likely start unless McCourty moves to corner or there's a trade.

You posted,

I disagreed with your post.

You were wrong. Clearly wrong. You're out of your mind if you think he's been anything but garbage, post-injury. There's a reason that his team finally benched him.

And Chung was the same last year that he's always been. He can't cover.

New money ignores signing bonus. Come on, now. His signing bonus, spread out over 4 years, was $6.5m (1.625 per year), meaning he made $3.625 in 2014. Your claim was that he wasn't worth $3m+.

For 2 seasons of play, he took home:

6.5 (sb)
1 base
2 base
= $9.5m

In other words, his getting cut means he got paid an average of $4.75m per year.

I have said absolutely nothing about Arrington's average compensation either this year or last.
======
I'm not going to continue this type of argument. Our perspectives are different. Belichick had a choice whether to pay Arrington $3M for his 2015 services. His signing bonus is sunk cost and irrelevant to the decision with regarding to keeping him on board. His 2015 services are either worth $3M or they are not.

In 2014, Arrington was due $2M of new money for his 2014 services. In addition, there would have been a large 2014 cap hit if he were cut. Given the cap situation, and given that Arrington was worth at least $2M, Arrington was kept. He might have hired a slot for under $2M. He might have used one of the other five corners at nickel. Belichick CHOSE to pay Arrington $2M of new money.

And we had probably hundreds of posts with regard to whether Arrington should have been cut in 2014. The conclusions was that given the cap situation, the cost of $2, and the rest of the corners that we had, Arrington should be kept for 2014.

I believe that most posters also believed that Arrington's contract for 2015 would have to reduced or he would be cut. We discussed the possibility of an extension with less new money that the scheduled amounts for 2015 and 2016.
========================
At any point, you can argue whether signing Arrington was worth the money. That is a different discussion. That is an evaluation of his contract.
===========

You were wrong. Clearly wrong. You're out of your mind if you think he's been anything but garbage, post-injury. There's a reason that his team finally benched him.

And Chung was the same last year that he's always been. He can't cover.

I'll repeat one more time. I think it is "a good thing that Fletcher is in our top 4" You disagree. That's fine.

I have said absolutely nothing about Arrington's average compensation either this year or last.
======
I'm not going to continue this type of argument. Our perspectives are different. Belichick had a choice whether to pay Arrington $3M for his 2015 services. His signing bonus is sunk cost and irrelevant to the decision with regarding to keeping him on board. His 2015 services are either worth $3M or they are not.

In 2014, Arrington was due $2M of new money for his 2014 services. In addition, there would have been a large 2014 cap hit if he were cut. Given the cap situation, and given that Arrington was worth at least $2M, Arrington was kept. He might have hired a slot for under $2M. He might have used one of the other five corners at nickel. Belichick CHOSE to pay Arrington $2M of new money.

And we had probably hundreds of posts with regard to whether Arrington should have been cut in 2014. The conclusions was that given the cap situation, the cost of $2, and the rest of the corners that we had, Arrington should be kept for 2014.

I believe that most posters also believed that Arrington's contract for 2015 would have to reduced or he would be cut. We discussed the possibility of an extension with less new money that the scheduled amounts for 2015 and 2016.
========================
At any point, you can argue whether signing Arrington was worth the money. That is a different discussion. That is an evaluation of his contract.
===========

You said it was about $3m+ in a season. You were wrong. There's really nothing to continue.

And your signing bonus argument is ridiculous. If you go by that, you're arguing the BB thought Arrington was worth $7.5m in 2013, because that's what he got paid. In other words, even using your own argument, you're wrong.

goodell tryin' to sneak his story in under cover of the arrington news

Yet more questions in the secondary, not that Arrington was much of an answer to begin with. Hope we didn't have our eye on a first round corner next year. Regardless... bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3