PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cato June signs with Bucs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The colts d /running game hinges on rookies they pick up in the draft, to be trully effective? Ill take it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like last year and every other year with the Colts. And we're just talking about one or two players here. A backup RB and DT. The rest is depth.

In March, 2006 I did not predict that the Colts would win the Super Bowl. I opined that the cap space devoted to Manning, Wayne, Harrison, and Adam would not prevent them from winning the Super Bowl.

I post about the cap to spread the knowledge I know about the cap to my fellow Patriots fans. I know AND ACCEPT that sometimes that knowledge is not popular.

What should I have done in March, 2006 when I believed that the Colts were capable of winning the Super Bowl?? Should I have remained silent??

We know that you're not a Colts fan and are just posting critically needed cap, etc. info which is much appreciated vs folks slinging opinion that's demonstrably wrong.
We DO know that you have a man-love thing for the Poston bros though.

ok, well then how is losing your #2 RB a big loss?

That's not the point. The Colts have not lost an irreplacable player, but they've lost so much quality depth this past offseason that somewhere, whether with the running backs, the linebackers or the defensive backs, they will suffer for depth.

Yeah, not saying the colts will suffer some big collapse,
but they will definately feel the effects and have some challenges
when they lose a good runner like Dominic Rhodes, their leading tackler in
Cato June, and their starting cornerback in Nick Harper.

They also still could lose Starting safety Mike Doss and Slot receiver Brandon Stokely.

I don't think you can just brush off all of these loses as nothing. It will have an effect. not only that but you haven't added anything. And the competition most certainly has, especially the patriots, broncos, & Ravens.

plus the pats have 2 number 1's.

so the colts will still be very very tough and explosive offensively, but they may not be as good depth wise as they have been in the past, and that could effect their success at times. meanwhile, expect the opponent to be much improved. And remember, we make one more first down last year, and we beat you anyway. so that's all, there should be some level of concern among colts fans, not panic, just some concern.

Addai was the replacement for James. Rhodes was already on the team.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Colts used Rhodes primarily as a 2nd half threat and Addai as a 1st half threat.

Now, Addai has to carry the load and there isn't anyone of note behind him.

Actually, it was the other way around. Addai never started a game until the playoffs, he was the first rookie to get 1,000 yards without ever starting a game. Rhodes started the regular season and Addai came in with fresh legs. The starters switched during the playoffs.

Freddie Keiaho will be the starter. You may not have heard of him, but noone knew much about June, Thornton, etc when they became starters. I think Keiaho will be a much better run defender than June, at least it seems that the Colts think that way based on Dungy and the LB coach's comments on him.

I agree that the Colts weren't as good last year, and I think that's why they are making moves like letting a mediocre player like June go.

Keiaho is a big hitter and is the reason why the Colts didn't try to resign June. While you never want to lose a starter, the Colts have let much better LBers go (David Thorton, Mike Peterson, and Marcus Washington).

I guess that's why he led the team in tackles last year with 142, because he can't tackle. :rolleyes:

It was as much the system as the player. Cato is a much better coverage linebacker than a tackling linebacker.

who's there replacement for rhodes??....dede dorsey??

rob morris is now forced to start at old unless they get someone else.

indy has done nothing but get worse this offseason and dont have much room to get better unless they have an incredible draft.

The Colts' run D really turned around when Morris became a starter, so I'm not worried about having him in the line-up. Morris would have likely been in regardless of June, they played two different positions.

That's not the point. The Colts have not lost an irreplacable player, but they've lost so much quality depth this past offseason that somewhere, whether with the running backs, the linebackers or the defensive backs, they will suffer for depth.

Agreed. Their depth has taken a hit, but free agency is not over and the Colts have had a pretty good draft history.

I have seen Stokley's name mentioned several times in this thread, as far as I know he has not been signed by anyone. i would say he is just as likely to resign with the Colts as much as they are the he will sign elsewehere. Beside, he really did not contribute this past season. Eight catches and 1 TD speaks for it's self.

They also still could lose Starting safety Mike Doss and Slot receiver Brandon Stokely.

Doss lost his starting job. Antoine Bethea did a great job filling in once Doss went down. Even if Doss were healthy at the begining of the season, he would likely be a second stringer and special teams guy. It will be interesting to see if anyone signs him coming off a major knee injury.

Actually, it was the other way around. Addai never started a game until the playoffs, he was the first rookie to get 1,000 yards without ever starting a game. Rhodes started the regular season and Addai came in with fresh legs. The starters switched during the playoffs.

Keiaho is a big hitter and is the reason why the Colts didn't try to resign June. While you never want to lose a starter, the Colts have let much better LBers go (David Thorton, Mike Peterson, and Marcus Washington).

It was as much the system as the player. Cato is a much better coverage linebacker than a tackling linebacker.

The Colts' run D really turned around when Morris became a starter, so I'm not worried about having him in the line-up. Morris would have likely been in regardless of June, they played two different positions.

Agreed. Their depth has taken a hit, but free agency is not over and the Colts have had a pretty good draft history.

I have seen Stokley's name mentioned several times in this thread, as far as I know he has not been signed by anyone. i would say he is just as likely to resign with the Colts as much as they are the he will sign elsewehere. Beside, he really did not contribute this past season. Eight catches and 1 TD speaks for it's self.

Spin it any way you wish. He still led the team in tackles. I guarantee had people been dogging him during the midldle of the season, you would have lept to his defense. Now that he's gone he's a stiff. How convienent.

Spin it any way you wish. He still led the team in tackles. I guarantee had people been dogging him during the midldle of the season, you would have lept to his defense. Now that he's gone he's a stiff. How convienent.
Yep. The bottom line is that the Colts losing two starters is a good thing (for us). How good, that can be debated. But to bury your head and say "the guys who replace them are just as good and all we lose is depth" is ridiculous. They were starters for a reason and depth is important.

I went into this season more concerned about the Chargers than the Colts and these moves have only added to that. I continue to mourn that the Colts have now won a Super Bowl but I celebrate the increasing liklihood that they'll join the one and done masses.

The Colts are clearly weakened this offseason, probably significantly.

They have lost their starting OLB, a guy who might not fit a lot of teams but was very productive in their Tampa Two system. Keiaho, I believe, is a very different player - a guy who might complement June very well in running situations, but won't replace his contribution to the Tampa Two system. This means either adjusting the system, or finding a replacement.

The NFL is currently a two-back league. Losing your #2 back is only important about 40% of the time, as the results showed last year. Let's say it only affects them 20% of the time - the odds are that a lead back will miss a couple games a year, even the big bulls. The odds go up when the lead back takes over more of the offense.

Losing their starting corner hurts the same way. The nickel moves up, but he's probably not as good. And now they need a nickel.

Slot receiver is similar. This has been a team that utilizes the slot receiver a lot.

Any single one of these losses can be replaced in the draft. But, as noted, the Colts lack a second. They have two Day One picks, the last in the first and the last of Day One. Maybe they can get a good linebacker and a nickel corner. Or a back-up running back and a slot receiver. But they cannot address all those needs in the draft.

And obviously the odds of replacements goes way down with each round of the draft.

Most important is the loss of depth. Depth is important in today's league w/ 16 game seasons plus some hard-hitting games in the playoffs. Everyone is bound to miss a few games due to injury or are destined to play hurt. Depth is the real talent factor in this league.

you're double or triple counting the same things here, or just repeating yourself.

The Colts having a bad salary cap situation, plus losing a few average players, plus them only having enough money to sign their draft picks, is all the same thing.

as I said above, this is the only significant loss for the Colts this offseason. all those other guys didn't contribute that much to their SB run, or are replaceable
Hey pot calling kettle black, you're counting Addai as replacing both Edge and Rhodes.

In March, 2006 I did not predict that the Colts would win the Super Bowl. I opined that the cap space devoted to Manning, Wayne, Harrison, and Adam would not prevent them from winning the Super Bowl.

I post about the cap to spread the knowledge I know about the cap to my fellow Patriots fans. I know AND ACCEPT that sometimes that knowledge is not popular.

What should I have done in March, 2006 when I believed that the Colts were capable of winning the Super Bowl?? Should I have remained silent??

I know how you feel. Everyone on this board thinks they know everything. But when a poster (like myself) disagrees that the Pats aren't perfect and has flaws like every other team in the NFL, people on this board think you don't know anything about football. Knowledge is not popular on this forum. Most fans on this forum are very biast.

Always the way lol.

While Cato June is a product of the system in Indy, the Colts will find a replacement and we will be saying Cato who? We thought the Colts would be decline when they let Mike Peterson go. We thought they were going to hurt with the defection of David Thornton. And now we think the Colts will suffer with the current loss of Cato June. The Tampa 2 system does a pretty good job of taking average players and making them look good, ala Cato June. He may get the sexy stats such as 142 tackles, a couple sacks and interceptions. However, teams know he is the weak link against the run and has flaws. If the Colts can find some run stuffing DT's it will take a lot of pressure off of their small LB's. The reason why they couldn't stop the run is because opposing RB's consistantly passed to the second level of the defense making the LB's the last line of defense (which struggled). The return of Corey Simon should help. In fact, the tandam of him and Anthony McFareland should be pretty good. Although the Colts have lost many players, they will continue to be the class of their division and amoung the AFC. As long as they have Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Addai, their team will be a force.

Last edited:
These are interesting moves. I guess Manning will carry the offense and Sanders will carry the defense. I like it:D

We have to remember, as bad as the Colts defense was last year, the Pats still couldn't beat them. The Colts defense was amoung the worst last year, it can only get better. So for the people that are questioning whether Manning can put his team on his shoulders, take a look at what he did last year.

Last edited:
The NFL is currently a two-back league. Losing your #2 back is only important about 40% of the time, as the results showed last year. Let's say it only affects them 20% of the time - the odds are that a lead back will miss a couple games a year, even the big bulls. The odds go up when the lead back takes over more of the offense.

In my opinion the biggest contributing factor to the great playoff production of both Colt backs was the dink and dunk offense they used in the playoffs. This wore out all four teams they played and therefore made Rhodes a highly compensated free agent. Ron Dayne would have put up the same kind of stats as Rhodes.

Last edited:
We have to remember, as bad as the Colts defense was last year, the Pats still couldn't beat them. The Colts defense was amoung the worst last year, it can only get better. So for the people that are questioning whether Manning can put his team on his shoulders, take a look at what he did last year.

We should also remember that the Colts defense was only as good as Sanders ability to stay on the field. Had his shoulder cleaned out this offseason. He is very good, but very fragile. Only played 4 games last season. And he played in the playoffs. So he was managed to be there when they faced us. It can get better or worse just like anyone's defense. The Colts are counting on depth players progressing to starters. And draftees playing as rookies. Some will, while some won't.

Simon is likely gone. They can't even get him in for a physical after Polian put him on NFI last year.

As for Manning putting the team on his shoulders, I really don't think that was the case. I think the team put winning ahead of Peyton for a change, but had we not had our defensive collapse it might have all gone for naught. In the superbowl Addai and Rhodes should have been co-MVP's (or they could have given the nod to Rex...).

I also don't think anything can prepare you for that first defense of title season. Which is why so few teams ever get a second shot at defending a championship season.

On March 23, 2006 I wrote about the Colts -
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england....php?p=65593&highlight=colts+months#post65593
"IMO, it is far too soon to judge how a team manages the 2006 cap when there are 6 months left before the regular season starts"

I think that it remains true in 2007.

That being said, I personally would not focus on whom the Colts lost but who remains on the Colts. After all, each team in the NFL is going to experience a roster turnover of about 10 players. Some players have to leave a team in order for a team to have room for its rookies.

If I were a Colts fan, I would be encouraged by this forum's take on the 2007 Colts. After all, this forum in March 2006 was pretty much wrong on the 2006 Colts.;)

Maybe if you spent the same amount of time talking about the Pats as you do the Colts, people wouldn't get your loyalties confused.

I know how you feel. Everyone on this board thinks they know everything. But when a poster (like myself) disagrees that the Pats aren't perfect and has flaws like every other team in the NFL, people on this board think you don't know anything about football. Knowledge is not popular on this forum. Most fans on this forum are very biast.

*ROFMLAO* Unlike you, Miguel knows his stuff about the Salary cap. You just spew garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back