PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cato June signs with Bucs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Manning putting the team on his shoulders, I really don't think that was the case. I think the team put winning ahead of Peyton for a change, QUOTE]

Exactly right. With Peyton's approval of course. :singing:

Spin it any way you wish. He still led the team in tackles. I guarantee had people been dogging him during the midldle of the season, you would have lept to his defense. Now that he's gone he's a stiff. How convienent.

You'd be wrong. People were dogging him during the middle of the season, along with the rest of the starting LBers. I didn't defend him, I agreed. But it doesn't matter, you will doubt me. Most Colts fans thought that core would be the end of the Colts season. The return of Sanders greatly helped as did the addition of Morris to the starting line-up at the strong side position.

You'd be wrong. People were dogging him during the middle of the season, along with the rest of the starting LBers. I didn't defend him, I agreed. But it doesn't matter, you will doubt me. Most Colts fans thought that core would be the end of the Colts season. The return of Sanders greatly helped as did the addition of Morris to the starting line-up at the strong side position.

You're absolutely right. I do doubt you.

We have to remember, as bad as the Colts defense was last year, the Pats still couldn't beat them. The Colts defense was amoung the worst last year, it can only get better. So for the people that are questioning whether Manning can put his team on his shoulders, take a look at what he did last year.

Manning's 2004 stats were far better than last year. The defense did its share. In fact, Addai could have been the MVP of the SB had he not so mysteriously disappeared late in the game because of an "injury".

Last edited:
*ROFMLAO* Unlike you, Miguel knows his stuff about the Salary cap. You just spew garbage.

Did you really roll on the floor and laugh your ass off? I must be pretty funny then. I spew garbage? Could you tell me what kind of garbage I spew? Could it be garbage like the Pats are human and not as perfect as you think? Belichick and Pioli aren't gods? My views on threads aren't biast? Then I guess my comments are garbage because I keep an open mind on threads on this board and don't lean towards the Patriots side every single time. But if you can come up with anything else, please let me know.

Last edited:
All cap-and-crystal-ball-smugness and various personal attacks aside, I think that the one thing that the Colts have shown exceptional ability at is roster-building. Polian, for all of his despicable character traits, knows a great deal about football personnel, and has proven it for years and years. The decision to let Cato June go was probably made for very sound reasons, and our Colt-brethren have already hinted at his replacement, who will probably be pretty good.

The Colts will have to be beaten where they have been beaten before--on the field. I will be very surprised if they weaken or implode owing to cap-problems or player mismanagement. They, like us, are too smart. They may at times be soft, they may be whiny, but they are smart and talented, and it is no surprise that NE and Indy have been the two best teams in the league these past four years.

You're absolutely right. I do doubt you.

Well I guess I know you better than you know me. I like Cato. But his 2005 season lead to a lot of hype for him. With the line issues in 2006 the linebackers needed to step up and for a good chunk of the season they didn't. Would I like to have Cato back? Sure. Do I think his loss with take the defense back a step? Not really. The Colts have a habit of letting their LBers walk and Cato is not the best one they let go. BTW, many were calling for Freddy by mid-season, especially after his performance during the regular season game with the Pats.

Addai was the replacement for James. Rhodes was already on the team.

Also, I'd like to point out that the Colts used Rhodes primarily as a 2nd half threat and Addai as a 1st half threat.

Now, Addai has to carry the load and there isn't anyone of note behind him.

The Colt's have James Mungro, DeDe Dorsey, and Kenton Keith behind Addai. Mungro has been with the Colt's for several years and will do alright backing up Addai, IMO. He tore his ACL in training camp last year so, hopefully he'll be ready to go by next year. Also, the Colt's are REALLY high on Dorsey. Tony Dungy himself has said he believes that Dorsey will be a VERY good NFL running back.

These losses hurt, but keep in mind, Rhodes and Harper were undrafted free agents and June a sixth round pick so, it's not like Polian doesn't have the ability to replace them on the second day of the draft or after the draft altogether.

Maybe if you spent the same amount of time talking about the Pats as you do the Colts, people wouldn't get your loyalties confused.

Oh, brother.

Maybe if you spent the same amount of time talking about the Pats as you do the Colts, people wouldn't get your loyalties confused.

You truly must have no idea how much time I devote on my Patriot cap pages

All cap-and-crystal-ball-smugness and various personal attacks aside, I think that the one thing that the Colts have shown exceptional ability at is roster-building. Polian, for all of his despicable character traits, knows a great deal about football personnel, and has proven it for years and years. The decision to let Cato June go was probably made for very sound reasons, and our Colt-brethren have already hinted at his replacement, who will probably be pretty good.

The Colts will have to be beaten where they have been beaten before--on the field. I will be very surprised if they weaken or implode owing to cap-problems or player mismanagement. They, like us, are too smart. They may at times be soft, they may be whiny, but they are smart and talented, and it is no surprise that NE and Indy have been the two best teams in the league these past four years.

Finally, some common sense, presented without emotion or ego. Thank you.

The Colts are, as you said, a smart and talented team. Like the majority here, I despise the character they present both on and off the field. But that doesn't change the fact that they are a formidable foe on the field.

IMO, they key to their off-season is Sanders. If they sign him, replacements for all other losses will be good enough to keep them among the top contenders for the AFC Championship this season. If they don't, I believe they'll have significant difficulty maintaining that level of play.

I haven't seen much on what's happening with Sanders. Does anybody have any reliable information on his status?

IMO, they key to their off-season is Sanders. If they sign him, replacements for all other losses will be good enough to keep them among the top contenders for the AFC Championship this season. If they don't, I believe they'll have significant difficulty maintaining that level of play.

I haven't seen much on what's happening with Sanders. Does anybody have any reliable information on his status?

Sanders is under contract through next season.

If just one of at least a half-dozen teams, incl. all 3 AFC playoff opponents, had closed the deal when given the opportunity, then the dispicable, disgusting, disgraceful dolts would not be champions today. Instead, this offseason would have been spent by napolian, dungheap and payaton answering, yet again, more questions about their well-deserved reputations as thoroughly unlikable and unworthy wastes of DNA. Every breath they take is oxygen that another human being could put to better use.

I was browsing for some general football news on PFT and ran across this Q&A from the Indy Star:
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS0302/60831033
* It's behind a few days as you can see,but I found it interesting nonetheless--
Questions posted March 5, 2007

QUESTION: I would like to know why the Colts year-in and year-out are constantly at a point where we as a team are just under the salary cap? We are always trying to restructure someone’s contract in order to get money to deal with next year. I don’t get it. I think Bill Polian and Jim Irsay do a great job with the salary cap, but I’m also frustrated that we never have enough money to keep some of our defensive stars (linebackers) or sign anyone who can help us. And to add to this misunderstanding is an increase in the salary cap this year and next year, and we still do not have enough money to keep some of our free agents happy. Hey, New England does it year after year and the Denver Broncos always sign two or three people. Can you explains?
-- from Maurice Zuver, Bryan, OH

ANSWER: I can give you several answers – Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Tarik Glenn, Ryan Diem, Dwight Freeney, Raheem Brock. Those are among the highest-paid players on the team. Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Glenn and Diem are among the highest-paid at their positions in the league. Freeney will count at least $8.6 million in ’07 as a franchise player. Part of the reason the Colts don’t do much in veteran free agency is it’s very costly and it’s a real crapshoot. Remember, you’re signing players – yes, many of them very good ones – whose previous teams decided against reinvesting in. I understand fans’ frustrations over the annual exodus of very good linebackers. But I’m not sure I would have re-signed any of them for what other teams paid them. Yes, the cap keeps going up. But so do players’ salary-cap numbers because of the way the contracts usually are constructed. Most of the time, players that are lost can be replaced. It becomes a problem when a team fails to do so – like with Gilbert Gardner failing to adequately replace David Thornton. Finally, let’s not give New England too much credit on the free-agent market. The Patriots have let some pretty good players go – Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Corey Dillon, Deion Branch and some guy named Adam Vinatieri.
EDIT: Other pertinent comments within the article but apparently Indy fans/media are concerned about the cuts as well. Notice how they allude to the Pats' moves.

Last edited:
Did you really roll on the floor and laugh your ass off? I must be pretty funny then. I spew garbage? Could you tell me what kind of garbage I spew? Could it be garbage like the Pats are human and not as perfect as you think? Belichick and Pioli aren't gods? My views on threads aren't biast? Then I guess my comments are garbage because I keep an open mind on threads on this board and don't lean towards the Patriots side every single time. But if you can come up with anything else, please let me know.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=51165

Your entire premise in that thread was GARBAGE. We all know that the Pats are human and that Belichick and Pioli are not gods. And no one asked you to lean towards the "pats side" every single time. But you sure as hell aren't OPEN MINDED when you spew that sort of garbage. Calling the head coach a JERK because he played a WR on special teams is hardly being open minded. In fact, its pretty CLOSED minded.

You got blasted in that thread because you showed that you aren't nearly as smart as you claim and you seem to have a personal axe to grind against Belichick.

That's why it was garbage. That's why you got laughed at and blasted.

The Colt's have James Mungro, DeDe Dorsey, and Kenton Keith behind Addai. Mungro has been with the Colt's for several years and will do alright backing up Addai, IMO. He tore his ACL in training camp last year so, hopefully he'll be ready to go by next year. Also, the Colt's are REALLY high on Dorsey. Tony Dungy himself has said he believes that Dorsey will be a VERY good NFL running back.

These losses hurt, but keep in mind, Rhodes and Harper were undrafted free agents and June a sixth round pick so, it's not like Polian doesn't have the ability to replace them on the second day of the draft or after the draft altogether.

Actually, the Colts DON'T have James Mungro. He's still a UFA. You don't even know your own team.

DeDe Dorsey and Kenton Keith?

Dorsey is facing misdemeanor gun charges. And what has Dorsey actually done?
Keith Kenton? Who is he and why should we think he is anything?

Also, you forgot to mention Luke Lawton. Again, how are they replacements for Rhodes?

You truly must have no idea how much time I devote on my Patriot cap pages

Miguel -
I know you spend a TON of time on the Patriots cap pages. I've given you PLENTY of kudos on the fantastic job you do with the Pats Cap pages.

But that isn't what I said. And I made sure that I chose my words carefully. I said that maybe if you spent the same amount of time TALKING about the Pats as you do the Colts, people wouldn't question your loyalties. All that says is that it comes across as you talking about the Colts more than the Patriots.

I dunno about that he had 142 tackles last year, and at least 100 in the past 3 years, I think that probably means he can tackle a little.

When you're in on a tackle at the 30, and the player doesn't go down until the 20, you can't tackle worth a ****.

Colts fans are pretending all this is just fine,and maybe it will be,but don't be so disingenuous as to claim it's no big deal.
Coming to a forum comprised of Pats fans who have endured the pain of "cuts",trying to claim all is well ain't gonna fly-not here.
We've watched players like Deion Branch,Willie,Ty Law,Lawyer Milloy,Adam Vinitieri,Corey Dillon-all go. Coaches like Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel;Nick Saban and Eric Mangini...
I wasn't on this board then but I'll guarantee you one thing,fans weren't saying everything was "fine". Those were cuts heard round the world,so you're here on the "Thanks For The Memories" expert panel.
If I were a Colt fan I'd be concerned,mainly because the moves seem more reactionary and so far there's been no evidence of building or a plan. I'm not saying things won't work out,but I'm saying I'd be concerned for this year.
Because they won the SB last year does not automatically guarantee anything the following year. In fact,the odds are against you. Given the fact you've let key defensive starters go and did nothing in FA tells me they're going with rookies-and very little back-up. You'd better pray nothing happens to Sanders. The odds aren't with you there,either.
The Colts run a pretty successful basic scheme so I wonder if Dungy's a creative enough coach to make up for these losses. Or if he has the tools to do so. Colts fans should be wondering the same thing. You don't have enough SB's yet to drink the KoolAid. :D

Colts fans are pretending all this is just fine,and maybe it will be,but don't be so disingenuous as to claim it's no big deal.
Coming to a forum comprised of Pats fans who have endured the pain of "cuts",trying to claim all is well ain't gonna fly-not here.
We've watched players like Deion Branch,Willie,Ty Law,Lawyer Milloy,Adam Vinitieri,Corey Dillon-all go. Coaches like Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel;Nick Saban and Eric Mangini...
I wasn't on this board then but I'll guarantee you one thing,fans weren't saying everything was "fine". Those were cuts heard round the world,so you're here on the "Thanks For The Memories" expert panel.
If I were a Colt fan I'd be concerned,mainly because the moves seem more reactionary and so far there's been no evidence of building or a plan. I'm not saying things won't work out,but I'm saying I'd be concerned for this year.
Because they won the SB last year does not automatically guarantee anything the following year. In fact,the odds are against you. Given the fact you've let key defensive starters go and did nothing in FA tells me they're going with rookies-and very little back-up. You'd better pray nothing happens to Sanders. The odds aren't with you there,either.
The Colts run a pretty successful basic scheme so I wonder if Dungy's a creative enough coach to make up for these losses. Or if he has the tools to do so. Colts fans should be wondering the same thing. You don't have enough SB's yet to drink the KoolAid. :D

This off season is no different than years past. Go look. I would by no means put June in the same group as Law, Miloy, AV and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes