PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cassel's stock and tag+trade-ability level...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just brought this up in another thread, but I thought Cassel's performance yesterday, while good enough for the win and highlighted by a few great plays, was not his best. I attribute some of it to the OL, but he left some plays out there, and I thought he lacked the pocket presence & accuracy of week's prior.

Going into the Steelers game, his stock would've been at "tag and trade for a first rounder" level. Where is it at now? I'd say we could either get a 2nd, or swap firsts with someone in the middle round (I'm still assuming we're picking late in the first round at this point) [in addition to some other 3rd-5th round picks].

The next 3 games will be huge in terms of whether a) Cassel can continue to play at a level that earns us a playoff berth b) Cassel continues to play at a level that is worthy of us tagging him and grabbing some draft picks from a QB-hungry team.

I kind of disagree though. Let me cite the game in San Diego in the 2006 playoffs. Brady sucked until the end of each half, but he got it together and did what was needed. Cassel has stepped up and told people that he is a winner. In fact, I can't think of a game (other than San Diego, arguably) where it was Cassel's fault we lost. He has brought us back into games a few times. Of course, he is surrounded by winners in that team, but he has put it together when needed. Minnesota or San Fran could do much worse than Matt Cassel (what they have now, for instance).

Remember that one of the poison pills of the uncapped year is requiring 6 seasons for unrestricted free agency. So while Cassel is a UFA for 2009, the minute he signed the franchise tender the Pats would own him as an RFA for 2010.

ii) For Restricted Free Agents with four Accrued Seasons (in Uncapped Years):
(1) Right of First Refusal: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least ...$1,176,000 for the 2010 League Year;
(2) Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) the amount set forth in Subsection (b)(ii)(1) above; or (b) 110% of the
player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged (this Subsection is subject to the rules of
Subsection (c) below);
(3) Right of First Refusal and One Second Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a)...$1,759,000 in the 2010 League Year(b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph
5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged
(4) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a)... $2,521,000 for the 2010 League Year, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all
other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged; and
(5)Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a)...$3,168,000 for the 2010 League Year, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in
addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged

Unless the Patriots chose the lowest RFA tender level possible (Right of First Refusal) they would have to tender Cassel at 110% of his 2009 salary or $16.1 million. And if "all other terms of the player's prior year contract are carried forward unchanged" applies to the guarantee of his salary that would mean that the Pats would be guaranteeing Cassel over $30 million in two years.

Unless the Patriots chose the lowest RFA tender level possible (Right of First Refusal) they would have to tender Cassel at 110% of his 2009 salary or $16.1 million.

Thank you, Miguel! I wasn't aware of the "or 110%" provision, since in normal circumstances it's never relevant. I stand corrected.

Cassel may not have taken any great leaps forward on Sunday, but he got the job done. My guess is that game did nothing to change his status as the best combination of short-term readiness and long-term potential among the QBs on the market in 2009.
I disagree with B-Manny's argument that the Seahawk game wasn't another step forward - Seattle reportedly blitzed about 67% of the time - I'd say Mattyice faced another new situation and his come from behind victory is indeed another progressive step for him.

I thought yesterday was among Cassel's best days this year. Perhaps the best, because some of his throws were so precise. As I said in another thread, I was particularly impressed with the way he delivered passes to Moss when Asomugha was on him. The coverage was tight, but he got it there so only Moss could get it. Impressive stuff, and Cassel's stock has risen back to 1st round level, IMO. Getting into the playoffs and having the ability to show his stuff in January will definitely make Cassel franchise-able and trade-able. And it helps that the next two weeks should be pretty good for the offense.

Last edited:
Stock continues to rise. Romo did not do much better against Pittsburgh the next week. Weather has not been in his favor for two of those games. And he showed he can keep his head in the game with all the mental baggage from a trying week.

Bump. Big day for Cassel's stock yesterday. Back to back week he has proven he can do it in inclement weather, not to mention what he proved about his mental toughness last week. Some team out there is going to get themselves a pretty good QB this offseason - hopefully at the expense of some draft picks :D

Really though, listening to Cassel on the radio this morning, again you see there's no doubt he's a very likable guy, couldn't be happier for him - and as long as he doesn't go to an AFCE team, I'm sure Pats fans will continue to root for him.

Bump. Big day for Cassel's stock yesterday. Back to back week he has proven he can do it in inclement weather, not to mention what he proved about his mental toughness last week. Some team out there is going to get themselves a pretty good QB this offseason - hopefully at the expense of some draft picks :D

Really though, listening to Cassel on the radio this morning, again you see there's no doubt he's a very likable guy, couldn't be happier for him - and as long as he doesn't go to an AFCE team, I'm sure Pats fans will continue to root for him.

I agree. It seems like every week that Cassel's value skyrockets. If the Pats get into the playoffs and they do some damage in it, Cassel could net the Pats as high as a first and another higher pick (third or fourth). Personally, I'd be happy with the Lions second round pick which will be the first pick in the second round. Anything higher than that is a bonus in my eyes.

wont happen, time to deal with the fact that they wont tag him.

the only way they tag him is if all parties (cassel and other team) have something banged out......the pats simply can't afford to keep cassel at 14M+ next year and still go out and make veteran improvements.......

as for yesterday's performance...........more stat-wise window dressing than anything......244 of the yards yesterday were YAC..........much of the credit has to go to cardinal defenders not having a clue about footing on slippery surfaces........what cassel succeeded in doing was to avoid mistakes

I agree. It seems like every week that Cassel's value skyrockets. If the Pats get into the playoffs and they do some damage in it, Cassel could net the Pats as high as a first and another higher pick (third or fourth). Personally, I'd be happy with the Lions second round pick which will be the first pick in the second round. Anything higher than that is a bonus in my eyes.

I'd take the Lions 1st round pick from the Cowboys. And if I'm the Lions, as was talked about on EEI this morning, I go after McD, Cassel and maybe even Pioli. Though I still think McD will stick around at least another year - he's got a good thing going.

But at this point - I do think Cassel is worth a 1st rounder. It's not even about the stats really, he's just making good throws and good decisions. I know unoriginal was (in another thread) saying the Lions O-Line sucks so much that Cassel may struggle in that situation - likely true. But they can shore up that line for the future in the draft. Cassel, to me, is a much surer bet than spending that 1st rounder on a college QB - 1st round QBs are busts more often then they are decent NFL QBs.

Last edited:

Not so sure about that...if they Tag him they won't have to play him until the season starts anyway. So you can see the reasoning behind doing it anyway. The Teams are too many to list that could use a QB like Matt and you have to take in consideration a key QB getting an preseason injury. I think it would be in the Patriots Best interest to Tag him.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that...if they Tag him they won't have to play him until the season starts anyway. So you can see the reasoning behind doing it anyway. The Teams are too many to list that could use a QB like Matt and you have to take in consideration a key QB getting an preseason injury. I think it would be in the Patriots Best interest to Tag him.

Heck, I'd consider doing it for the sole purpose of keeping him from joining Gangrene, er, Gang Green.

I just brought this up in another thread, but I thought Cassel's performance yesterday, while good enough for the win and highlighted by a few great plays, was not his best. I attribute some of it to the OL, but he left some plays out there, and I thought he lacked the pocket presence & accuracy of week's prior.

Going into the Steelers game, his stock would've been at "tag and trade for a first rounder" level. Where is it at now? I'd say we could either get a 2nd, or swap firsts with someone in the middle round (I'm still assuming we're picking late in the first round at this point) [in addition to some other 3rd-5th round picks].

The next 3 games will be huge in terms of whether a) Cassel can continue to play at a level that earns us a playoff berth b) Cassel continues to play at a level that is worthy of us tagging him and grabbing some draft picks from a QB-hungry team.

I wouldn't have thought franchising Cassel was a good option, but at this point the Pats would be crazy not try and net something for him. At best, keep him away from going to another team in the AFC East.

Are you kidding? There is absolutely NO WAY the Patriots don't tag him. They have the room, it's only temporary anyway, and this is not a team that lets value walk out the door unless they've been put in a corner (see: Asante Samuel right after Rodney got suspended).

Patriots will most certainly slap the tag on Matt and deal him for, at worst, the 33rd pick overall in the 2009 draft.

I wouldn't have thought franchising Cassel was a good option, but at this point the Pats would be crazy not try and net something for him. At best, keep him away from going to another team in the AFC East.

I really think people are missing the point about Cassel and the tag. They won't do it to trade him. They have to do it as insurance against Brady's injury. They really have no choice. Until they see Brady on the field, they have to do whatever it takes to keep Cassel, including a tag if necessary.

And in a way, that's going to help with the trade, if that makes sense. The only way they can trade Cassel before this year's draft is if they get a big enough offer to tempt them to take the risk that Brady's leg is okay. It'd have to be a pretty big offer. But otherwise I think they have to keep Cassel no matter what the cost.

And yes it will suck to do that, because it will hurt in terms of having money to resign key players like Wilfork or other free agents. But the risk of not having a top-caliber QB to start the season is just too great for them to let Cassel go.

Anyone who thinks this is an easy decision should look at what happened with Michael Turner and LaDainian Tomlinson this year. LT is the better player historically, but injuries just caught up with him, and San Diego ended up having to rely on Darren Sproles a lot this year. It was a big mistake for them to let Turner go.

I really think people are missing the point about Cassel and the tag. They won't do it to trade him. They have to do it as insurance against Brady's injury. They really have no choice. Until they see Brady on the field, they have to do whatever it takes to keep Cassel, including a tag if necessary.

I disagree: Cassel won't be playing for the Pats next season. If Brady can't go - and all reports say otherwise, and say he's back on track - it will be O'Connel's turn to step up. It's the Patriot way.

Right (Wink! Wink!) Yes the Pats won't be taging Matt just to trade him. Oh, no. Just because of deep concern over Brady's rehab. It's absolutely critical that Brady's left leg return to his former running form.

I can only hope that the Pats actively promote this canard cover story appearing 'reluctant' as they pump up the value for Cassel and trade him for picks in 2009 or maybe 2010.

Brilliant move.

Right (Wink! Wink!) Yes the Pats won't be taging Matt just to trade him. Oh, no. Just because of deep concern over Brady's rehab. It's absolutely critical that Brady's left leg return to his former running form.

I can only hope that the Pats actively promote this canard cover story appearing 'reluctant' as they pump up the value for Cassel and trade him for picks in 2009 or maybe 2010.

Brilliant move.
It is a wink wink but the reality is, at the time of the tag Cassel would be the team's starting QB until we know the "other guy" is OK from major surgery with a setback.

They will franchise him and they will get something good for him. My preference would be to move up in the first round or get a 2010 #1 that has the potential to be high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe