PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carucci: Peppers close to going to NE for #34 [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, WTF? How can they be picking up steam when, as Belichick has noted, it is blatantly against the rules for the talks to be occurring at all?

see my other peppers thread: contract question (yes, more peppers)

first of all, it's just a matter of time before he signs that tender --- do you think he won't?

it's only against the rules for the pats to talk to carolina, right now -- they can talk to peppers all they want.

if he signs his tender, then presents carolina w/a long term deal he's worked out beforehand w/the pats, he can sign that and they can trade him.
pats aren't on the hook for the monster cap hit, and carolina walks away w/a sweet practically first round pick.

1. The Patriots do not have the cap room to take on Peppers' $16million dollar cap hit, much less sign him to the long term deal that he wants.
Just keep in mind that Adalius Thomas' first year cap hit was $3.4M despite a contract that was, in total, about $34M.

Miguel had his yearly cap hits as :

Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $3.4 million, $5.4 million, $6.4 million, $9.4 million, $10.4 million.

So even though Peppers would get more (if nothing else due to NFL inflation), the first couple of years can be very affordable.

first of all, it's just a matter of time before he signs that tender --- do you think he won't?

it's only against the rules for the pats to talk to carolina, right now -- they can talk to peppers all they want.

if he signs his tender, then presents carolina w/a long term deal he's worked out beforehand w/the pats, he can sign that and they can trade him.
pats aren't on the hook for the monster cap hit, and carolina walks away w/a sweet practically first round pick.

so why the hell isnt he signing the tender?

so why the hell isnt he signing the tender?

why would he need to if all the various deals haven't been worked out yet?

while he hasn't signed the tender, his agent is free to shop him to the entire league.
meanwhile, he doesn't have to show up for any team functions because he's not under contract.

cassel signed that tender asap and got shipped off w/o any say in the matter, supposedly.

Just keep in mind that Adalius Thomas' first year cap hit was $3.4M despite a contract that was, in total, about $34M.

Miguel had his yearly cap hits as :

Cap numbers: In succession, beginning this year, $3.4 million, $5.4 million, $6.4 million, $9.4 million, $10.4 million.

So even though Peppers would get more (if nothing else due to NFL inflation), the first couple of years can be very affordable.

You're forgetting about the 30% rule on salaries, which didn't apply then, but does apply now.

You're forgetting about the 30% rule on salaries, which didn't apply then, but does apply now.
True, but prorated bonuses can still make guys a lot more affordable. I'm on record as not expecting to get him but he wouldn't cost as much as the $16M Franchise number makes it seem.

True, but prorated bonuses can still make guys a lot more affordable. I'm on record as not expecting to get him but he wouldn't cost as much as the $16M Franchise number makes it seem.

That's the thing, though: under NFL rules, the Patriots have to absorb whatever contract he's signed to at the time they trade for him. Remember that Brady had to redo his contract so the Pats could trade for Moss.

Look if bb didn't want peppers he would of flat out denied any interest of the player, but he didn't. He actually sounded kinda excited and sort of hinted he wanted him.

That's the thing, though: under NFL rules, the Patriots have to absorb whatever contract he's signed to at the time they trade for him. Remember that Brady had to redo his contract so the Pats could trade for Moss.

He can sign the extension with Carolina and get traded. It doesn't have to be the tender that is traded. The tender isn't an obstacle for a trade. He would sign his new deal with Carolina and get dealt right away. Any bonus would trigger as a condition of the trade, so the Pats pay it and it goes on their cap.

However, it is hard to imagine how they could afford him. They have so many of their own key player up next year, could really afford to bring a guy this expensive in? I realize everyone is talking about how next year in uncapped, but that is not a certainty to happen. You can't plan on that and then get screwed if the CBA is extended. Also, Bob Kraft may have a lot of money, but he isn't Dan Snyder. He isn't foolish, he has a budget. He is a long-term planner and this would be a short-term move with risk.

I still say this is very unlikely to occur, but the tender isn't the reason.

Apparently you chose to totally ignore what Bill said on WEEI last week which was he would never do a deal on that basis and no one in NE has talked to Peppers or his agent which his agent has confirmed.

But other than that...

Peppers will sign the tender either when he finds a team that is willing to deal with him and his agent prior to settling compensation with Carolina or he will sign his tender sometime between the opening of camp and the first game of the season (when his $1M per game pay days commence). His agent has not indicated he is even considering holding out of camp and he stated the other day that Julius has no problem with playing for Carolina as the highest paid player in the league if a trade can't be worked out. Meanwhile Carolina claims they have every intention of retaining him as they have been trying to sign him to a long term deal of their own for over a year now...

Apparently you chose to totally ignore what Bill said on WEEI last week which was he would never do a deal on that basis and no one in NE has talked to Peppers or his agent which his agent has confirmed.

correct

I choose to be skeptical of just how much truth-telling anyone in the media does. Mike and co. aside, that is.

Wake up damnit! Wake up or it's off to the glue factory!!
:deadhorse:

Boy, maybe I remember this wrong, but I though Bill said he never has and never would talk to Peppers agent, until he signed the tender. I don't remember the no one else from New England has not and never will speak to Peppers agent until he has signed the tender.

There are a whole bunch of issues for Peppers to come here, either it will or won't happen, but in the end it comes down to if Peppers wants to come here bad enough, and if the Pats and Carolina can agree upon a price. If everyone wants it to be done it will be done, unlike what some people are posting here. If all three parties don't want it to happen bad enough we are just wasting time typing. But is sure is exciting.

Nothing has changed with the Pats says Peps agent...

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com

The agent says "several other" teams have presented him ballpark contract offers, but New England isn't among them. No trade can happen before Peppers signs his one-year, $16.7 million tender and he doesn't seem to be in a rush.

If teams have really presented him huge offers then why hasnt Pep taken them? Me thinks hes waiting for the Pats. Or maybe thats just my homerism talking?

Last edited:
as a longtime pats fan living in nc for the past 17 years, ive seen all of peppers career with carolina. im 50/50 on whether id want him, assuming the pats did and carolina liked the compensation-two BIG ifs. He was close to his old self last year-but in '07 he was worse than any Pat's olb since,since..i cant remember that far back. he was as bad as monty beisel was for the pats as an ilb. worse. yes, he had a lingering illness from the off and preseasons... but he was weak and S-L-O-W. here's my point--peppers COULD be the explosive, game-changing olb the pats need..or not. and we will pay a steep price-at the least a 2nd round pick and a HUGE contract that will eat salary cap dough. To pay THAT kind of heavy price-I think the pats would do it for a sure-fire thing-but peppers is not a 100% sure-fire thing. vince wilfork IS. there is some risk with peppers. but i have to admit-a lot of games last year peppers DOMINATED-and i salivate thinking what hed be capable of in a pats uni-with a healthy a. thomas and nascent pro-bowler mayo behind that great dl. at any rate, i cant wait for the season-matt cassel was good-but i felt cheated last year--at the start of the season i thought the pats would be a raging bull-tearing thru the league after not finishing the job in "07. that WILL happen this year.

as a longtime pats fan living in nc for the past 17 years, ive seen all of peppers career with carolina. im 50/50 on whether id want him, assuming the pats did and carolina liked the compensation-two BIG ifs. He was close to his old self last year-but in '07 he was worse than any Pat's olb since,since..i cant remember that far back. he was as bad as monty beisel was for the pats as an ilb. worse. yes, he had a lingering illness from the off and preseasons... but he was weak and S-L-O-W. here's my point--peppers COULD be the explosive, game-changing olb the pats need..or not. and we will pay a steep price-at the least a 2nd round pick and a HUGE contract that will eat salary cap dough. To pay THAT kind of heavy price-I think the pats would do it for a sure-fire thing-but peppers is not a 100% sure-fire thing. vince wilfork IS. there is some risk with peppers. but i have to admit-a lot of games last year peppers DOMINATED-and i salivate thinking what hed be capable of in a pats uni-with a healthy a. thomas and nascent pro-bowler mayo behind that great dl. at any rate, i cant wait for the season-matt cassel was good-but i felt cheated last year--at the start of the season i thought the pats would be a raging bull-tearing thru the league after not finishing the job in "07. that WILL happen this year.
THAT is the wild card... NOT a steady thing..what does one pay for the Peppers that is lost and totally poor...or the dominating one. a BIG gamble...I agree Vince is teh real deal ALL the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back