PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Carl Banks killing Peter King

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsully

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Great back and forth debate with Peter King and Carl Banks regarding overtime changes..
Banks is killing him and I've never heard King off balance like this..
Sirius radio at its finest..

After hearing this, I've come to the conclusion King has great contacts and is a great writter BUT has no more understanding of the actual game than us fans do.

Re: Carl Banks killng Peter King

Great back and forth debate with Peter King and Carl Banks regarding overtime changes..

After hearing this, I've come to the conclusion King has great contacts and is a great writter BUT has no more understanding of the actual game than us fans do.

Correction, King did have good contacts and credability until spygate happened , he lost all credablitly with me... He is just a Farve ball washer, he is not a great writer either.. Don Banks is better and more crediable..

Correction, King did have good contacts and credability until spygate happened , he lost all credablitly with me... He is just a Farve ball washer, he is not a great writer either.. Don Banks is better and more crediable..

I wont debate your feelings about him.. but its a great debate.. Carl is killing him.. Most callers are agreeing with Carl.. To funny.. Whats WEEI talking about?? Redsox or Bruins :p

King always gives me the impression that he knows very little about football except the headline news and that he doesn't care to be prepared on the subject he is paid to talk (or write) about.

king is a terrible writer and unimaginative analyst. middlebrow slop for the livestock at its worst. i'd even take easterbrook over him. he might have decent contacts in the league, but you barely find one sentence in a thousand that's insightful in his column.

So...what's the gist of their respective positions?

King is a fine writer. He likes to hop on a soapbox, that's all. That makes him like pretty much everyone else who writes or speaks for a living.

So...what's the gist of their respective positions?

King - Who ever scores a TD 1st basically wins.. Kept saying that 60% of teams that win the coin toss win the game

Banks- Maybe that 60% were the better team. why change the rules so drastically.. If you are worried about kickers being better, just move the kickoff to the 35yd line..

The funny part is King got heated and they kept playing Rocky songs.. Banks continued to pepper him with responses and it didn't sit well with King..

King is a fine writer. He likes to hop on a soapbox, that's all. That makes him like pretty much everyone else who writes or speaks for a living.

Probably the best way to Sum up King..

Banks- Maybe that 60% were the better team.

Did he honestly try to make a correlation between the respective strength of the teams and who wins the coin toss?

King is a **** writer when he says something bad about the Patriots and is a good writer when he says something good about the Patriots. :cool:

Banks actually played the game. I'm pretty sure he knows a lot more about football than King, who only writes about it for a living. LOL. It's always funny how people who have never played the game seem to think they know the most about it. :p

Did he honestly try to make a correlation between the respective strength of the teams and who wins the coin toss?

I'm not going to do it justice by answering your question, you really need to hear the entire conversation..

King started exposing himself after he got on the NBC Football show.

Every sentence was prefaced by "I just got off the phone with _______".

Now he makes an ass of himself by making commentary on stuff he should keep to himself:

Peter King Leads The League In Obliviousness, Strange Notions Of Justice (UPDATE) - Yard abandonment - Deadspin

I wont debate your feelings about him.. but its a great debate.. Carl is killing him.. Most callers are agreeing with Carl.. To funny.. Whats WEEI talking about?? Redsox or Bruins :p

Worse yet, I tune to 98.5 and it's Hockey Talk :confused: :mad: :( :eek:

Worse yet, I tune to 98.5 and it's Hockey Talk :confused: :mad: :( :eek:

WEEI is the same, but that makes sense, given there was a big story in last night's game. Whether you're a hockey fan or not, you can't expect them to spend a lot of time on NFL offseason talk (especially when we haven't made any big splashes the last few days) over a sport that is actually being played right now.

I'm often amazed at how little many national sportswriters appear to know about most players and teams. I realize that it would be nearly impossible to have as much knowledge on all 32 teams as a local beat writer does on just one team; I'm not expecting King or his colleagues to know as much or more than a guy like Mike Reiss does about the Pats. But on the other hand I expect more than what appears to be almost no preparation. It seems that the more well known these guys get and the further they are up the food chain that less and less time is done on research, while more and more time is spent in pre-show production meetings, pre-game roundtables with the executive producer, and marketing yourself and your employer by being on a sports talk radio show in every market at least once a week.

During the football season I can go on to the website of an upcoming opponent's local paper, read a few columns and blogs from their local beat writers, and typically get far more information on that team than I can from King and whoever he just got off the phone with. King and others like him are for the most part just parroting somebody else's opinions but doing little to no first-hand analysis. They serve a purpose, but it's just generic information for the casual fan in my opinion.

King is a **** writer when he says something bad about the Patriots and is a good writer when he says something good about the Patriots. :cool:

That's pretty accurate. :)

I'll never forgive him for his handling of the Spygate issue. It's not for being critical of the anybody or the organization in general. But the bullspit morale outrage articles, which was amusing, because then came his speculative spin on things. Never based on anything completely factual, which in turn helped fuel the rampart misconceptions of the haters. Then to add insult to injury, he was downright defiant, dismissive, and arrogent when challenged on his views. Lost alot of respect for his professionalism after that fiasco.

Fast forward to the 4th and 2 gate, and he dusted those old tactics off again. I can do without him.

Would that the thread title were literally true

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST