PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Folks, We have a Legitimate Hero in Our Midst

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned before, the IGL assumes a perfectly rigid container. The container in this case is the leather, the stitches and the laces. Anything that reduces the rigidity of the container will lower the pressure. As we all know, soaking leather makes it softer and stretchier. For this reason, in the conditions prevailing in the AFCCG we can expect that the ball pressure will be lower than predicted by IGL calculations.

I'm not sure it's by any appreciable amount.

PV = nRT, so P ∝ 1/V.

To put this in perspective, a 1% increase in volume only creates a ~1% change in pressure (<0.3 PSI).

I'm not sure it's by any appreciable amount.

PV = nRT, so P ∝ 1/V.

To put this in perspective, a 1% increase in volume only creates a ~1% change in pressure (<0.3 PSI).
I agree. I just mentioned it to note the sign of the correction and for completeness' sake.

What impresses me the most is the stuff about the Colts balls.

Given the gas laws, it seems the loss of PSI increases in speed as the ball deflates. So, the move from 12.5 lower is wider than the move from 13.5 lower.

People simply assume everything is happening at the same rate, in the same state.

The gas laws themselves make no predictions at all regarding the rate of change in pressure.

In the specific case that seems to be at work here of a change in pressure as a result of cooling, it's an exponential decay, so the loss of pressure would actually slow down over time.

Very well done by Palm Beach Patsfan!

But he's not a "hero"....please people....hero's save lives, so let's not throw that term around so lightly.

What he did was nice or cool....but not heroic.

You know, with all the lies, sensationalism, demagoguery, agenda-driven persecution and blind hate being spewed at us for the past 8 days straight, I decided a little [admitted] hyperbole wouldn't be uncalled for in celebrating the fact that one of our own accomplished something we've all been so frustratingly unable to do -help sway even a little the national opinion of the team we all love so dearly.

Last edited:
Very well done.
Should events unfold as we desire, Kraft owes someone a ring.

Very well done.
Should events unfold as we desire, Kraft owes someone a ring.

LOL, While that would be cool, I'd rather hit Mr. Kraft up for a little donation/funding for my group's drug discovery research projects!

You know, with all the lies, sensationalism, demagoguery, agenda-driven persecution and blind hate being spewed at us for the past 8 days straight, I decided a little [admitted] hyperbole wouldn't be uncalled for in celebrating the fact that one of our own accomplished something we've all been so frustratingly unable to do -help sway even a little the national opinion of the team we all love so dearly.

The think that convinces casual observers that something happened is the so-called "no change" in the Colts footballs.

I say that the Colts footballs were stored in another place prior to certification, than the Patriots footballs .

And I can scientfically PROVE it!

The Ideal Gas LAW is used once again, It essentially says pressure, P is proportional to temperature, T, Change either one, and the other MUST change.

If the Colts football pressures did not change much that itself PROVES that their original emeperature didn't vary much from the oudoor sideline temperatures. Thus the footballs had to be stored in outdoor temperatures immediately prior to being certfified, probably in the Colt's truck or Bus, and brought to the refs room, where they did not warm much before being checked/modified by the Refs, and certified.

PS: The Ideal Gas LAW is not a THEORY.

It is an empirically derived LAW, re-proven everyday by you. If it wasn't true, many of your everyday devices wouldn't work. Your car engine wouldn't work, nor would airplanes, nor would the refrigerator that preserves your food, not the Air Conditioning that provides comfort in your home and office.

OR ... the Colts jiggered with both their footballs and the one Pats football that they got control of. There is more hard physics to suggest the Colts were engaged in shenanigans than there is indicting the Patriots.

If you encounter people who doubt that these calculations are legit, ask them to think of this experiment that I bet every single one of you who have ever lived in a cold place has done, and likely more than once.

Say you buy birthday balloons at the grocery store that were blown up at 75 degrees F (297K) and then you take them outside to your car at 32 degrees F (273K). They will shrivel up by 8% in absolute pressure (24/297). When you factor in atmospheric pressure (14.6 psi), a 2 psi-pressurized balloon drops to 0.7 psi, a huge difference.

You likely know this to be true and have SEEN IT HAPPEN! If you haven't, well, try youtube:

And if you talk to people who say "the pressure is 12.5" and insist that this pressure be used rather than 12.5 plus atmospheric pressure (the mistake that Bill Nye and Dr. Tyson made), have them click on this and scroll down to the heading "gauge pressure" to understand why: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html

Most gauges read the excess of pressure over atmospheric pressure and this excess is called "gauge pressure". While a useful measurement for many practical purposes, it must be converted to absolute pressure for applications like the ideal gas law.

Last edited:
If you encounter people who doubt that these calculations are legit, ask them to think of this experiment that I bet every single one of you who have ever lived in a cold place has done, and likely more than once.

Say you buy birthday balloons at the grocery store that were blown up at 75 degrees F (297K) and then you take them outside to your car at 32 degrees F (273K). They will shrivel up by 8% in pressure (24/297).

You likely know this to be true and have SEEN IT HAPPEN! If you haven't, well, try youtube:

And if you talk to people who say "the pressure is 12.5" and insist that this pressure be used rather than 12.5 plus atmospheric pressure (the mistake that Bill Nye and Dr. Tyson made), have them click on this and scroll down to the heading "gauge pressure" to understand why: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html

Middle school science teachers take note. Great idea for classroom exercises.
Here you have excellent real world examples for student calculations (only need to know ratios & percentages like my 6th grader) and more fun yet, experiments!

HS seniors taking physics would also benefit from this exercise. I know I coulda used it.

I just hope Colts fans don't correct our physicists and chemists here for neglecting to take into account the van der Walls Equation of state for an oxygen/nitrogen mixture!

(I'm just busting balls here, it's negligible)

Get it? Balls? Heh!

I was kind of floored when I got back from a meeting, saw that I had a voice mail, and the caller id said "Sports Illustrated". I am sure that they get tons of emails all of the time, so thankfully mine was noticed. Now... I have to go and work a little!

Screw Work.. You're famous now... Please continue to grace us with your presences in hopes that it will rub off on us...

What ia really damning is the NFL not doing this same calculation a week ago. And as Matt Chatham points out the way the rule is written is plain stupid.

PBPF knocked it outta the Park. The column would have been part of the Glazer story frenzy, but instead our intrepid poster Explained Coherently to King the issue of how the balls could have become deflated. King is widely read and will be part of the NBC team at the SB.

Great Job by PBPF!
It all goes back to that old sayin' "when you plant seeds, you get **** weeds."

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back