PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Folks, We have a Legitimate Hero in Our Midst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather Underground's data says it was probably 49 degrees at halftime, but I didn't want anyone to think I was biasing the analysis, so I used 51 instead. It is very likely that the rain falling on the field (and on the footballs, of course) was quite a bit colder than the surface air temperature too. Raindrops usually form at altitude where it is colder and they are warmed up as they fall. Of course they often reach the ground colder than the surface air temp. Again though, I didn't want anyone to say that ANY of the numbers were fudged. that is also why I used 72 degrees and not 75, like some others have.
Wow, Dude!

I thought this was an outside source, not one of our own.

Well done, sir!

Amazing stuff. Tell him that colder Colts balls at first pressure test would explain why they didn't lose pressure.

Did the Colt footballs not lose psi or were they inflated higher to begin with? If they started at 14 psi and ended at 12.5 psi they would obviously be within the "legal" requirements while at the same time losing psi.

Were you totally astonished to be contacted by King?
I was kind of floored when I got back from a meeting, saw that I had a voice mail, and the caller id said "Sports Illustrated". I am sure that they get tons of emails all of the time, so thankfully mine was noticed. Now... I have to go and work a little!

Did the Colt footballs not lose psi or were they inflated higher to begin with? If they started at 14 psi and ended at 12.5 psi they would obviously be within the "legal" requirements while at the same time losing psi.

That was my thought from the onset, as they were aware that this "sting" was going to happen, so they overinflated..

Perhaps that is why Luck had such a shytty day throwing the ball....

I was kind of floored when I got back from a meeting, saw that I had a voice mail, and the caller id said "Sports Illustrated". I am sure that they get tons of emails all of the time, so thankfully mine was noticed. Now... I have to go and work a little!

What impresses me the most is the stuff about the Colts balls.

Given the gas laws, it seems the loss of PSI increases in speed as the ball deflates. So, the move from 12.5 lower is wider than the move from 13.5 lower.

People simply assume everything is happening at the same rate, in the same state.

How long before ESPN realizes they need to talk to scientists about this, not ex players?

The problem is, several of the scientists have screwed up the calculations, including Neil deGrasse Tyson, so if they go that way, they can cherrypick the wrong numbers. Better to reference the actual experiments.

He also did write this 2 days ago...

I'm ok with people being wrong. I'm not ok with them being wrong because they have an agenda. King clearly doesn't have an agenda or he would have brushed Palm Beat Patsfan off.

The problem is, several of the scientists have screwed up the calculations, including Neil deGrasse Tyson, so if they go that way, they can cherrypick the wrong numbers. Better to reference the actual experiments.
The wrong numbers are easily refuted and if Tyson persists he will simply make a bigger fool of himself. This isn't PhD level stuff, it's freshman physics if not high school.

Actually no. 14 psi is overinflated and just as illegal as 12 psi according to the operations manual. If that's the case, then both teams balls went outside the league's limits at some point during the game (Colts at the start, Pats by halftime).

In a cold weather game with balls inflated indoors it is actually impossible to keep the balls up to pressure unless they're re-inflated periodically outside. Cold weather teams have probably been using under-inflated balls ever since the sport was invented without anybody making a federal crime out of it.

Hey America...if you're reading this thread, we just want you all to know that Patriots fans don't care about these allegations and we don't care what you or the media think.

We're loving all the hate, so please don't stop!

Signed
All New England Patriots Fans Worldwide (no exceptions)

Unfortunately it doesnt stop king from writing crap
How full is full, Peter? It's clearly evident that you're completely full of ****, with each and every bet hedged. I'm fully digusted with you, ****y...

Nothing new for Tyson he is a media whore like Nye.

Peter included a typo, "11.43" when it is really "11.34" but the message is the same. I made the typo myself in my first email, then corrected it. He was very personable. He said that he shadowed a Ref crew in pregame preps a couple of years ago and they have a lot of things to do. He thought that it DOES make sense that they could approve a football that was 0.1 or 0.2 psi too high or too low as being good enough, not taking the time to add or take away 0.1 or 0.2 psi. He also liked the Carnegie Mellon video & experiment, and we discussed that a good while.

Tom-

One other variable that would explain the difference between Pats balls and Colts balls is the temperature of the air in the Colts balls at the point of inspection. Their balls had just spent three days on a bus in the cargo hold. Not sure they would be as warm as the Pats balls. Who knows?

If I can give one more kudos to Tom:

It is one thing to do a couple of calculations (such as for the Ideal Gas Law) and see that something is so.

It is quite another thing to make a professional scientific argument. It is similar to the process in publishing a journal article, you have to prove everything in an ironclad way, and it takes more work than you would think. Tom has clearly spent a great deal of his personal time to make this scientific argument.

Then, he had the initiative to send this argument to Peter King, which frankly would have never even occurred to me.

In summary:

http://pandawhale.com/post/43815/nice-picard-nicely-done-gif

post-43815-Picard-nicely-done-gif-Imgur-S-VQjS.gif

Very well done by Palm Beach Patsfan!

But he's not a "hero"....please people....hero's save lives, so let's not throw that term around so lightly.

What he did was nice or cool....but not heroic.

Tom-

One other variable that would explain the difference between Pats balls and Colts balls is the temperature of the air in the Colts balls at the point of inspection. Their balls had just spent three days on a bus in the cargo hold. Not sure they would be as warm as the Pats balls. Who knows?

OK, why does everyone keep ignoring the only PROOF that exists?
BB REPLICATED THE CONDITIONS.
When doing so, he found that the methods the Patriots used to prepare the texture of the ball, inadvertantly increased the psi temporarily, but 1 to 1.5 psi.
Of course the Colts balls lost less pressure after the refs inspected, because they were already back to equilibirium while the Pats footballs had just been temporarily raised and were not back to equilibrium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down