PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap# for 2024: $255.4 million (!)

Yeah I don’t get this whole “not a scheme fit” narrative. Athletic lineman can play any scheme, and zone is easier.

The easiest fix in the world for the team is to re-sign Onwenu, plug him in a RT and find a left tackle in the draft.

That will make it so 3 out of 5 lineman are playing on rookie contracts and the unit will be really cost effective despite paying Michael a bag.

I buy the distinction, but I honestly don’t know enough about blocking schemes to discuss it coherently. do think lighter more athletic lineman are used by WC teams, whereas teams like the Patriots went more for the big maulers, who were less likely to be as effective blocking downfield. I think there are plenty of people here who could do a much better job than I can delineating the systems, schemes, and differences.

I buy the distinction, but I honestly don’t know enough about blocking schemes to discuss it coherently. do think lighter more athletic lineman are used by WC teams, whereas teams like the Patriots went more for the big maulers, who were less likely to be as effective blocking downfield. I think there are plenty of people here who could do a much better job than I can delineating the systems, schemes, and differences.
Those early Shanahan senior Broncos teams utilized zone because they were lighter, less talented, had less money invested in the group.

I think that started the perception this type of athlete was “preferred,” when the reality is they did it out of necessity not preference.

Athletic strong lineman can play any scheme.

You asked for the report that Onwenu might not fit VannPelt’s blocking scheme and I gave it to you. And I don’t like Sow over Onwenu, I’m just willing to use a tag for 20 million on Onwenu, he’s not an elite player and I wouldn’t pay him like one. I’d give Christian Wilkins 20 million, but I wouldn’t give it to Onwenu. If you think you have better ways to rebuild this team feel free to put them out there, no ones stopping you.
You did nothing of the sort. There is NOTHING in that article that mentions Van Pelt's system. Sorry, Ivan, but you either didn't notice the date on the Article you posted or you erroneously think that Van Pelt runs the same Scheme as Kyle Shanahan, which isn't the case.

You clearly haven't been reading because I HAVE put them out there. I was putting them out there months ago.
You're statements tell me you don't understand the Salary Cap or the Cap space that the Patriots have and that they have to spend some money this year.

So you openly admit that you don't know enough about the blocking schemes to discuss them, but you're sure that Onwenu wouldn't be a fit based on a 2 year old article that was written BEFORE Onwenu had his All-Pro Season at RG. An article that has ZERO to do with Van Pelt and his offense.. But, you can say that Onwenu won't be a fit for it???

My initial reaction to this news is that it would help teams that are in a poor cap situation. Now they have less cap casualty moves to make, can maybe retain a player they would have otherwise had to let go.

Teams that were already in a good cap situation now have more teams competing for the pool of free agents. And because some teams will now be able to re-sign a free agent due to having more cap space, that pool of available free agents could get smaller.

The winners with this news are the players. More players receiving a higher contract, and fewer getting released.
And the rich get richer ..

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back