PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the kicker can handle the pressure of a game winning FG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
San Diego's Nate Kaeding that is....

The last time he was in the playoffs he blew what would have been a game winning FG in overtime against the Jets in the AFC Wildcard game...

I'm sure he's forgotten all about that though, and its the furthest thing from his mind going into Sunday's game.

"Obviously, I'm disappointed," Kaeding said. "That situation is something you play for all year, and I wasn't able to come through. The toughest thing is letting my teammates down and the coaches down, and not being able to look them in they eye knowing that I came through and did my job when it counted."

It was a bitter end for the Chargers (12-5), who won the AFC West and were back in the playoffs for the first time since 1995.

San Diego's Marty Schottenheimer, named the NFL Coach of the Year earlier in the day, also endured his latest playoff disappointment as he fell to 5-12 all-time in the postseason.

"I've been through this before, as we all know, that's been well-documented," said Schottenheimer, who has lost his last five playoff games dating to 1993 with Kansas City. "My disappointment, quite frankly, is for the players in locker room, and this community."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/recaps/2005/01/08/1528_recap.html

San Diego's Nate Kaeding that is....

The last time he was in the playoffs he blew what would have been a game winning FG in overtime against the Jets in the AFC Wildcard game...

I'm sure he's forgotten all about that though, and its the furthest thing from his mind going into Sunday's game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/recaps/2005/01/08/1528_recap.html

If the situation arises once again, that miss in the AFC Wildcard game missed kick will probably be the closest thing to his mind.

I'm hoping we don't let this game come down to a FG and beat the chargers convincingly.

Honestly I have no confidence in Gostkowski to make a big kick on the road.

Honestly I have no confidence in Gostkowski to make a big kick on the road.

I can't tell you what to think, but how does having no confidence accomplish anything? We aren't getting a new kicker anytime soon, and Gostkowski has all the kicking tools needed to be a great one down the road.

I can't tell you what to think, but how does having no confidence accomplish anything? We aren't getting a new kicker anytime soon, and Gostkowski has all the kicking tools needed to be a great one down the road.

I don't disagree w/ that. I'm just saying that if he had to make a 42 yarder to win the game, I think he'll miss. Just my opinion. Hope its wrong.

I don't disagree w/ that. I'm just saying that if he had to make a 42 yarder to win the game, I think he'll miss. Just my opinion. Hope its wrong.

It is tough to say because he has never been in that spot before.
I'm not saying he can be compared to Vinateri at all (yet), but don't forget last year when the Pats started to get their act together against the Broncos, and AV missed a field goal that would have made it a one posession game. It was a big kick that he missed, even though it wasn't a game winner.

I only bring this up because the people who bring up the kicker are usually people who hate the loss of Vinateri (not saying you are one necessarily, just in general).

If I remember correctly, that miss by Kaeding against the Jesters was on a rain soaked field...not a drizzle.

He doesn't have to wait until Sunday. It's been on his mind ever since:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070109-9999-1s9chargers.html

And yes, he can definitely handle the pressure this time around. :)

You guys do have a good kicker on your hands - no doubt.

The fact is though that NEITHER kicker has really proven it at this level with a potential game winning kick.

Give Gostowski a little bit of credit - he was strong and accurate last week. In effect he's got one more good playoff game under his belt than Kaeding does.

Every kick in a playoff game is high pressure - but of course Gostowski hasn't yet been in that game winning situation yet... so far he's looking good though.

It's possible to miss kicks without choking.

Unless a guy slices the ball off a carpet into the cheerleaders how do you know he choked? Did Norwood choke? (tough kick, barely missed). Is Vinatieri "clutch" or is he just very good. Did Adam really average fewer misses in high pressure situations than he did in lower pressure situations? Is Peyton a choker or is he simply overrated? -- let's ask it this way: what happens if he plays a lousy defense in a SB? I'm sure he'd get it done.

I love these analysts who like to call Jordan, Woods, Brady "clutch"...how about just "great." You deal with pressure because you have confidence in your natural ability and preparation...in short, you're confident because you know you're good.

It takes enormous talent under normal circumstances in the NFL to throw passes, make catches and kicks...when you add pressure to the equation it exposes the slightest flaws in a player's abilities...translation: sometimes guys just aren't good enough to make the plays at the highest level of competition.

"Clutch" is almost a consolation prize or backhanded compliment...a word for a guy like Jeter...who clearly doesn't belong in the same pantheon as a Ruth or Aaron.

I love that ESPN debate last night with the idiots who think that "playing on both sides of the ball" automatically makes you more valuable than a QB. QBs can't make mistakes or their teams lose...they can't have a bad game in the regular season and they certainly can't afford a below average game in the postseason...they can't miss their first ten passes and then expect to be in position to make a big play to win the game late in the fourth quarter. The pressure on a QB throughout a 16-game NFL season and "one and done" postseason is MILES above any position in any other sport. The problem with evaluating QB play is that it comes down to decision making. Jeter either hits or doesn't hit...makes the catch or throw...he doesn't have to think about which guy to throw to, when and how to throw it, while trying to misdirect the secondary with your eyes, and simultaneously deciding where to step to avoid the killing machines sprinting after you at all angles...all in the span of about 3 seconds. Can we just stop pretending there's another position in team sports that comes close to demanding all that?

i'm cutting myself off right here...

later

Last edited:
Kaeding worries me a bit I'll admit. And the wierd thing is as his career has progressed we've never had to call on him to make a last-second kick ever except in that one game. He's been real consistent in the normal situations but hasn't really been tested to see if he's learned to block out the pressure since that Jets miss. So if it comes down to a last-second kick and we bring Kaeding on the field I definitely won't feel real confident unless it's a 28 yarder or something like that.

I'm more worried about SDs punting game which has been quite good this year. Clark Judge at cbssportsline.com had an interesting item on their punter. Judge hates the Patriots, but it was still very interesting.

I have complete confidence that Gostkowski can make a game winning kick. However, if the game comes down to such a kick, my eyes with be closed.

It won't be necessary. The offense will have this game under control. But if need be, I would rather have the Clutch than the Ghost. I am always confident with this team, though, in any situation, and that includes the pressure FG.

Last edited:
Well I guess we have our answer.

Did I call it or what?

Sure a 54 yarder is no gimmee - but hey, Gostowski nailed a 50 yarder with room to spare and had a 52 yarder earlier this season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News