PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone sell me on Matt Light at LT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Belichick clearly thinks he is good enough. Thats enough for me. I'm with Andy Johnson on this one, you can't just put up last years numbers and automatically say he is on the slide, a lot of them sacks were Matt Cassel's fault.
I think Matt Light gets a lot of stick from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. I think a lot of people are worried about Brady getting hurt again and are looking for a wall for the OL thats never going to happen.

hes smart, knows the system, cares, and works hard, but i definitely cant sell u on him..i respect him and he'll prolly work for now but im not high on him or kaczur, but overall the oline played quite well today

Last edited:
Bill Belichick clearly thinks he is good enough. Thats enough for me. I'm with Andy Johnson on this one, you can't just put up last years numbers and automatically say he is on the slide, a lot of them sacks were Matt Cassel's fault.
I think Matt Light gets a lot of stick from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. I think a lot of people are worried about Brady getting hurt again and are looking for a wall for the OL thats never going to happen.

I'm just preaching a little more consistency. I don't want Light to have a game like he did yesterday then turn around and stink out the joint a week later as Brady gets hit 14 more times. I know he's not always going to be able to play at the level he did yesterday (which is a very, very high one), but if he can play at a level somewhere approaching that, that would be great.

I'm just preaching a little more consistency. I don't want Light to have a game like he did yesterday then turn around and stink out the joint a week later as Brady gets hit 14 more times. I know he's not always going to be able to play at the level he did yesterday (which is a very, very high one), but if he can play at a level somewhere approaching that, that would be great.

Light had a great game yesterday, but never know going into the next game.. minor injuries can effect the way he plays week to week, I suspect he had a lot of help inside, which is beneficial as well... next week is another tenacious D...

The reality is that the best tackles in the league have ups and downs, how many times has Brady been sacked this year??? 0 I believe.. not all that bad considering we are closing in on 150 pass attempts...

Is it possible to make a sticky thread for all posters who only want to say "if Belichick did it, it must be right" to any possible issue?

Just post it once, since it's all inclusive, and save cyber space.

Light had a great game yesterday, but never know going into the next game.. minor injuries can effect the way he plays week to week, I suspect he had a lot of help inside, which is beneficial as well... next week is another tenacious D...

The reality is that the best tackles in the league have ups and downs, how many times has Brady been sacked this year??? 0 I believe.. not all that bad considering we are closing in on 150 pass attempts...

I noted that earlier in the thread. I also noted that QB hits are just as important as well. Going into the game yesterday, Brady was the most hit QB in the league. Not so after the game. That was due to the great job the O-Line did combined with the team running the ball more. Brady still had 40+ passing attempts but the defense had to stay honest and respect Taylor and the running game, who had gashed Atlanta up until that point. And Buffalo sacked him in Week 1. Aaron Schobel did it.

And Buffalo sacked him in Week 1. Aaron Schobel did it.

Agreeing with you and in reference to the "no sacks" comment, the stat thrown out yesterday during the game was consecutive passing attempts without a sack, and there have been a ton of passing attempts so the 100+ number does not stretch into last year.

But on topic, Kontra, I would add that Brady lobbies for his offensive linemen. If he feels comfortable having light there, then I would argue that is what really matters in the end. The Pats will not pay for a top-tier, blindside tackle (those that would go as top draft picks and still cost), so who is a better option at the price the Pats will pay? And do you believe the Pats would not put someone on the current roster in that position if he were available?

And I agree that Light has historically had issues with quick, top tier defensive ends. The historically fewer sacks is due in part to Brady's amazing ability to sense backside pressure and unload quickly, not necessarily due to an impenetrable wall of blockers in front of him. I give Light above average to good grades in his position, not great.

Last edited:
I thought that Light handled Abraham yesterday. Most of the time he did it by himself. Light seems to have propblems with only a few players, Shcobel (sp), and Jason Taylor come to mind. Maybe they have picked up something on film that they use against him.

I must admit that Light had a good game...don't nkow how he goes from worthless turnstile to good game against a good player.

What's up with that?

I swear Schobel would go by him like he wasn't even there.

Abraham seemed to bull rush him most of the time, maybe Light is more effective against that.

I noted that earlier in the thread. I also noted that QB hits are just as important as well. Going into the game yesterday, Brady was the most hit QB in the league. Not so after the game. That was due to the great job the O-Line did combined with the team running the ball more. Brady still had 40+ passing attempts but the defense had to stay honest and respect Taylor and the running game, who had gashed Atlanta up until that point. And Buffalo sacked him in Week 1. Aaron Schobel did it.

Are there any reliable stats for hits on a QB, besides those by some fan on a message board??? Then you get into a whole semantical argument as to what actually a hit is, is a small push a hit??? We did this thread before, and reminds me of the Seymour is overrated threads that popped up after ever game last year, that was until he was traded then the lamenting began....

Are there any reliable stats for hits on a QB, besides those by some fan on a message board??? Then you get into a whole semantical argument as to what actually a hit is, is a small push a hit??? We did this thread before, and reminds me of the Seymour is overrated threads that popped up after ever game last year, that was until he was traded then the lamenting began....

QB hits are now being counted as a stat that is published on ESPN.com after the game. Go look at their recap/box score of the Jets game last week and you'll see "QB hits" as being a statistic in the box score. And, with the passing game of the Pats, a QB hit on Brady is rarely if ever a "small push". Like I said in a prior post, you are more than welcome (and I was talking squarely to you and nobody else) to find stats from other websites that proved the ones I posted wrong. However, you're going to be up a creek without a paddle on that one. But still, you can try. This debate goes two ways...

QB hits are now being counted as a stat that is published on ESPN.com after the game. Go look at their recap/box score of the Jets game last week and you'll see "QB hits" as being a statistic in the box score. And, with the passing game of the Pats, a QB hit on Brady is rarely if ever a "small push". Like I said in a prior post, you are more than welcome (and I was talking squarely to you and nobody else) to find stats from other websites that proved the ones I posted wrong. However, you're going to be up a creek without a paddle on that one. But still, you can try. This debate goes two ways...

Hits are not quantifiable, they are what they are.. a stat.. bottom line is that Matt Light is more than adequate at LT..

The reality is that you do not know all the blocking schemes for a game, and although there are times that he does not look all that good and seems exposed.. there are other players involved.. did the TE miss his assignment?? was Mankins supposed to slide over? Was the Back supposed to stay in?? You do not know most of this, this is not about worshipping the ground that BB walks on.. it comes from a lot of listening and reading about this team and the insatiable need for a scapegoat.. Brady has praised Light over and over again.. when he does not think people are doing their job, he will not say they are not.. but will not praise them either.

The stats you provided previously comparing the effectiveness of LT's were from a fan... you are right about QB hits, last week there were 7... this week there were 2.

Last edited:
Nice work, now make a 'someone sell me on Brady' thread because we are going to need his A game against Baltimore :cool:

Players sell themselves.
I agree with some of your points and the LT position is extremely vital-just look at some of the previously mentioned matchups for this year...
Quote from above:

Week 1. Buffalo - Aaron Schobel: I think it's safe to say Light lost that battle.

Week 3. Atlanta - John Abraham

Week 4. Baltimore - Terrell Suggs

Week 6. Titans - Kyle Vanden Bosch

Week 9. Dolphins - Joey Porter/Jason Taylor (depending on what their scheme for that week is)

Week 10. Colts - Dwight Freeney (another guy Light has traditionally struggled with)

Week 13. Dolphins - Jason Taylor or Joey Porter

Week 14. Panthers - Julius Peppers

Week 15. Bills - Aaron Schobel

Week 17. Texans - Mario Williams

Matt Light has had one of the toughest jobs here for a while.
It's obvious that our team has considered his replacement and we may see someone start filling in the LT (like Vollmer) or draft or a FA...I dunno.

Right now he is who we have and he is what he is-right?
He's also surrounded by Logan Mankins who is a dominant player and Dan Koppen who is solid. The O line is a team (TE's and Back incl.).

As long as he plays with passion:
Matt Light: "I think for us up front, it's just a matter of recognizing what they do, trying to get a hat on a hat, and it really comes down to the physical side of it - who can outlast the other guy. I think this is going to be a really big challenge for us offensively."

Asked if he was worried about other opponents trying to get under his skin, Light smiled and replied, "I've been here eight years, boss, and this isn't my first rodeo. I think we're all good."

Matt:
The Light Foundation, Inc. - About Matt

Light's always got Brady's back; Patriots left tackle Matt Light is stabilizing force in protecting QB great - GloucesterTimes.com, Gloucester, MA

Light fined, but avoids suspension - The Boston Globe

Don’t call New England Patriots left tackle Matt Light a meanderer | internet128.com

Mike Reiss' blog - Heart to heart - ESPN Boston

Dirty? Patriots' Matt Light says he's not - USATODAY.com

The past few games were not Matt Lights fault

You should be more concerned with other facets of our game.
We need to stick together as fans/team...it truly is a team game and give the gang more confidence....C'mon...remember the 80's and 90's???

Play physical tomorrow Matt! We need you and the boys to play smarter and harder....like Pro Bowlers!

Go Pats!:cool:

Like I said....go Pats!
;)

I think it's safe to say Matt won Sunday's battle vs Abraham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back