PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone sell me on Matt Light at LT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are worse starting LTs in the NFL than Light.

Considering he's protecting the blind side of the best QB in the league coming off of major knee surgery.... that answer just isn't good enough.

**** Pat Chung... Why BB passed on a LT prospect in last years draft is beyond me. I think it'll end up being yet another poor draft day decision by our main main Bill. :mad:

Last edited:
I'll take a shot, but you make some many assumptions that you seem to have made up your mind.
First, I think that fans of any team are enormously too critical of of key players that have sole responsbility to stop good opponents.
Corners are rarely liked because if they are beaten once deep or allow a 3rd down conversion, they automatically suck. Same with OL and particaluarly LTs.
Wrs catch deep passes, all teams convert 3rd downs, and every OL, especially LTs give up sacks.
Light is the perfect example. You say he 'struggles' against elite pass rushers. Well, elite pass rushers typically get around 12 sacks a season. That is 3/4s per game. So if Light 'struggles' vs elite pass rushers then they would need to be getting significantly more than 3/4s of a sack a game, which doesn't happen.
In other words, Light faces elite players often. He does a better job than most against them, yet since they are elite, they do beat him sometimes.
I infer from your post that the only thing acceptable is for him to turn elite players into stiffs, and that is just unrealistic IMO.
I do not have the stats to show this handy (Ive looked it up in the past) but if I have time I may look into it. BTW, the tricky issue is whether 2008s stats are telling because he is aging or irrelevant because of Cassels lack of awareness, especially early in the season.

Light also plays in a pass happy offense with a pocket QB. Rushers get to pin their ears back and go for broke. If comparing Light to other LTs the telling stat would be sacks allowed per pass attempts instead of per game.

Matt has trouble against the speed rushers but he stands in there and gives his best. What we really need if Matt is in there is someone to help him out ... like a TE would be nice. 4 and 5 wide looks nice and pretty but it comes with the price of no help for the LT or RT.

I think "Matt has trouble against speed rushers' is a huge misconception that somehow has taken hold in the fan base.

I'll take a shot, but you make some many assumptions that you seem to have made up your mind.
First, I think that fans of any team are enormously too critical of of key players that have sole responsbility to stop good opponents.
Corners are rarely liked because if they are beaten once deep or allow a 3rd down conversion, they automatically suck. Same with OL and particaluarly LTs.
Wrs catch deep passes, all teams convert 3rd downs, and every OL, especially LTs give up sacks.
Light is the perfect example. You say he 'struggles' against elite pass rushers. Well, elite pass rushers typically get around 12 sacks a season. That is 3/4s per game. So if Light 'struggles' vs elite pass rushers then they would need to be getting significantly more than 3/4s of a sack a game, which doesn't happen.
In other words, Light faces elite players often. He does a better job than most against them, yet since they are elite, they do beat him sometimes.
I infer from your post that the only thing acceptable is for him to turn elite players into stiffs, and that is just unrealistic IMO.
I do not have the stats to show this handy (Ive looked it up in the past) but if I have time I may look into it. BTW, the tricky issue is whether 2008s stats are telling because he is aging or irrelevant because of Cassels lack of awareness, especially early in the season.

I'm not asking him to turn them into stiffs. I'm asking him to turn them into mortals. If even the great Tom Brady and the great Peyton Manning can be made mortal, surely defensive linemen can be as well. For evidence of this, look at what Jake Long (who did get blown up by Abraham in Week 1) did to Dwight Freeney last week. Freeney was mortal. Simply put, I'm saying that making the "well, he struggles against elite pass rushers" excuse is a weak one as he's protecting someone who is arguably the most important player in the league... much less our team. If he struggles against them so much, in a season where we are going up against so many of them as a team, why is he the one for the job? Why haven't we found another use for him so far? As for your first comment, I haven't fully made up my mind. But I'm not complete sold on him being a "solid" left tackle, like so many here make him out to be. That's why I'm asking if anyone can sell me on him. Your argument was solid, but I'm still not sold. I will have more on this but for now let me take a look at some other stats then I'll be right back.

I'm not asking him to turn them into stiffs. I'm asking him to turn them into mortals. If even the great Tom Brady and the great Peyton Manning can be made mortal, surely defensive linemen can be as well. For evidence of this, look at what Jake Long (who did get blown up by Abraham in Week 1) did to Dwight Freeney last week. Freeney was mortal. Simply put, I'm saying that making the "well, he struggles against elite pass rushers" excuse is a weak one as he's protecting someone who is arguably the most important player in the league... much less our team. If he struggles against them so much, in a season where we are going up against so many of them as a team, why is he the one for the job? Why haven't we found another use for him so far? As for your first comment, I haven't fully made up my mind. But I'm not complete sold on him being a "solid" left tackle, like so many here make him out to be. That's why I'm asking if anyone can sell me on him. Your argument was solid, but I'm still not sold. I will have more on this but for now let me take a look at some other stats then I'll be right back.

The last two weeks this team has thrown the ball more than any other team in the NFL. Im not defending him as a great left tackle, but there are certainly things we could do to help him be even more successful. I think any team asking Matt Light to protect their QB for a 100+ pass plays in two games is asking too much of Matt Light.

Well apparently some knowledgeable (or at least I compliment them by saying so) fans seem to think he is not only not useless, but pretty good.

I still think against speed rushers, he is useless. He needs help. Always. He can't play LT next year and I'd be surprised if he finishes this year playing LT. HE is that bad.

I think "Matt has trouble against speed rushers' is a huge misconception that somehow has taken hold in the fan base.

My eyes are deceiving me?
Matt is adequate in the shotgun because he's standing up.
When Brady is under center and Light doesn't get that advantage he sucks ... plain and simple.

OK here are some #s
Dwight Freeney.
OP says 'another guy Light has tradionally struggled with"
The numbers say Light has stoned Freeney compared to other LTs.
Freeney career, 72.5 sacks in 105 games 0.69 per game
Vs. Light 3 in 8 games 0.375 (54% effective)
However, Dwight Freeney has had ZERO sacks in his last 4 games vs Matt Light

Jason Taylor
2001-2008 86 sacks in 112 games= .77/game
vs Light 9.5 in 12 games .79 per game
Light allows the average vs Taylor that everyone else does
Howver, in the last 6 games vs Taylor (vet vs vet) he has allowed 4 sacks, for .67 less than Taylor gets on average

Schobel
VERY interesting here, becuase perception is Schobel kills Light
Career 69/119 .58/game
vs Light 9/13 = .69/game slightly better than average
However, since 2002 5 in 11 games or .45 and lower than his average

Abraham
Career 86/115 = .75
Vs Light 6 oin 8 games .75 same as his average

TOTAL
Light has allowed 27.5 sacks in 41 games vs these 'elite' pass rushers. (.67)
These 'elite' pas rushers in their careers have averaged a combined 0.7 sacks per game.
Light has held these 'elite' rushers to fewer sacks than they average, so I dont know how he 'struggled' against them

OK here are some #s
Dwight Freeney.

Jason Taylor
Howver, in the last 6 games vs Taylor (vet vs vet) he has allowed 4 sacks, for .67 less than Taylor gets on average

Schobel
Career 69/119 .58/game

Abraham
Career 86/115 = .75

TOTAL
These 'elite' pas rushers in their careers have averaged a combined 0.7 sacks per game.
Light has held these 'elite' rushers to fewer sacks than they average, so I dont know how he 'struggled' against them

Also from 06-now vs these 4, Light has allowed 7.5 sacks in 13 games or 0.58 a decent amount below their averages.

OK here are some #s
Dwight Freeney.

Jason Taylor

Schobel
Career 69/119 .58/game

Abraham
Career 86/115 = .75

TOTAL

How many quarterback hits has he allowed them? Sacks are very important, but so are quarterback hits. They do just as much damage on the QBs psyche and body as a sack does. I ask this because, to date, he has allowed more quarterback hits than any O-Lineman on the squad in 2009. Against Schobel in Week 1 he allowed a sack, two QB hits, and two passes defensed. Schobel also intercepted the ball for a TD but that was more Brady's fault than Schobel's. Interesting stats though. Especially on Freeney. Was not aware at all that Light hadn't allowed a sack against him. However, last time Brady played against the Colts, Freeney was always around him. I guess they didn't record QB hits that year because I couldn't find how many Freeney got on Brady. However, he was around Brady a lot. In fact, the lone deep pass that Brady got to Moss that game came on the exact play when Freeney came out for a breather.

But he doesnt struggle against them.
As a group they do worse against him than they do it their other games (you are saying he 'struggles against these guys implying this is his flaw and he is above average in what you consider his flaw).
You do realize that Dwight Freeney (who seems to be the epitome of your argument) has zero sacks in his last 4 games against Matt Light. He has not sacked a Patriot QB since 2004. That 5 years ago. I dont think we have to worry about Matt Light vs Dwight Freeney, and therefore 'speed rushers'

How many quarterback hits has he allowed them? Sacks are very important, but so are quarterback hits. They do just as much damage on the QBs psyche and body as a sack does. I ask this because, to date, he has allowed more quarterback hits than any O-Lineman on the squad in 2009. Against Schobel in Week 1 he allowed a sack, two QB hits, and two passes defensed. Schobel also intercepted the ball for a TD but that was more Brady's fault than Schobel's. Interesting stats though. Especially on Freeney. Was not aware at all that Light hadn't allowed a sack against him. However, last time Brady played against the Colts, Freeney was always around him. I guess they didn't record QB hits that year because I couldn't find how many Freeney got on Brady. However, he was around Brady a lot. In fact, the lone deep pass that Brady got to Moss that game came on the exact play when Freeney came out for a breather.

Again you walk in with preconceived notions.
I think its pretty obvious that when I looked at stats from FORTYONE games that showed Light did better than average in sacks allowed against the 'elite' pass rushers, that even though they dont keep stats for 'less than a sack' that the numbers, compared to everyone else would be very similar.

The idea that "Light struggles against' speed rushers, or elite rushers is simply wrong.
The correct statement is elite rushers get sacks, and they do so against everyone, including Matt Light, but Matt Light is an above average LT and does an above average job against the elite rushers.

But he doesnt struggle against them.
As a group they do worse against him than they do it their other games (you are saying he 'struggles against these guys implying this is his flaw and he is above average in what you consider his flaw).
You do realize that Dwight Freeney (who seems to be the epitome of your argument) has zero sacks in his last 4 games against Matt Light. He has not sacked a Patriot QB since 2004. That 5 years ago. I dont think we have to worry about Matt Light vs Dwight Freeney, and therefore 'speed rushers'

It was a simple question I asked you. QB hits are just as important in factoring how successful an offensive lineman is at his position as sacks are. And Freeney isn't the epitome of my argument, the thread has just gone down that road. My point was about elite and speed pass rushers in general. Don't get me wrong. In the past, I think he has been more than solid. So far this season, though, he hasn't looked good. As I said before, no other O-Lineman on the team has allowed more QB hits so far as Light has.

It was a simple question I asked you. QB hits are just as important in factoring how successful an offensive lineman is at his position as sacks are. And Freeney isn't the epitome of my argument, the thread has just gone down that road. My point was about elite and speed pass rushers in general. Don't get me wrong. In the past, I think he has been more than solid. So far this season, though, he hasn't looked good. As I said before, no other O-Lineman on the team has allowed more QB hits so far as Light has.

But there is no quantifiable measure of 'hits'. "He got hit a lot" is the lame answer to the typical 'our QB got killed' argument. Every QB gets hit on top of sacks, and those numbers only logically compare.
Freeney is the epitome becuase you are speaking of 'elite speed rushers' and he is the most elite speed rusher in the NFL.
You cant refute sack stats by asking for 'close call' stats that do not exist, and then implying that the guy who doesnt allow sacks somehow mysteriously allows too many close calls.
I did not see a lot of pressure coming from the man Matt Light was blocking in the Jet game. To blame the Int vs the Bills on Light is disingenuous at best, since the play was a screen pass.

No. Check the post I copied in. I was responding to your assumption that he stuggles against elite, speed rushers, which he does not. By definition, elite rushers do well, but they do not do as well against Light as they do against everyone else.

But there is no quantifiable measure of 'hits'. "He got hit a lot" is the lame answer to the typical 'our QB got killed' argument. Every QB gets hit on top of sacks, and those numbers only logically compare.
Freeney is the epitome becuase you are speaking of 'elite speed rushers' and he is the most elite speed rusher in the NFL.
You cant refute sack stats by asking for 'close call' stats that do not exist, and then implying that the guy who doesnt allow sacks somehow mysteriously allows too many close calls.
I did not see a lot of pressure coming from the man Matt Light was blocking in the Jet game. To blame the Int vs the Bills on Light is disingenuous at best, since the play was a screen pass.

Fine. If you only want to talk sacks allowed, we can go back to 2008. Here is the total list or sacks allowed left tackles in the NFL:

1. Ryan Clady (Broncos) 0.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
2. Michael Roos (Titans) 1.0 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
3. Tra Thomas (Eagles) 2.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
3. Orlando Pace (Rams) 2.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
5. Jake Long (Dolphins) 2.5 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
6. Jordan Gross (Panthers) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
6. Jammal Brown (Saints) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
6. Jared Gaither (Ravens) 3.0 sacks allowed (15 starts)
6. Marcus McNeill (Chargers) 3.0 sacks allowed (14 starts)
6. Tony Ugoh (Colts) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
6. Chris Samuels (Redskins) 3.0 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
6. Todd Weiner (Falcons) 3.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
13. Walter Jones (Seahawks) 3.5 sacks allowed (12 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
14. D’Brickashaw Ferguson (Jets) 4.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
14. Bryant McKinnie (Vikings) 4.0 sacks allowed (12 starts)
14. Max Starks (Steelers) 4.0 sacks allowed (11 starts)
17. Joe Thomas (Browns) 4.5 sacks allowed (16 starts) *PRO-BOWL*
17. Branden Albert (Cheifs) 4.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
19. Levi Brown (Bengals) 5.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
20. Mike Gandy (Cardinals) 6.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
21. David Diehl (Giants) 6.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
22. Flozell Adams (Cowboys) 7.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
23. Khalif Barnes (Jags) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
23. Matt Light (Pats) 7.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
23. Chad Clifton (Packers) 7.5 sacks allowed (15 starts)
23. Kwame Harris (Raiders) 7.5 sacks allowed (11 starts)
27. Joe Staley (49ers) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
28. Donald Penn (Bucs) 8.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
29. Jeff Backus (Lions) 9.25 sacks allowed (16 starts)
30. John St. Clair (Bears) 9.75 sacks allowed (16 starts)
31. Duane Brown (Texans) 11.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)
31. Jason Peters (Bills) 11.5 sacks allowed (13 starts) *PRO-BOWL*

...ranked #23 despite having a mobile quarterback that was able to evade pass rushers. Not really what I would call solid or reliable. Keep in mind that was also against a cupcake schedule that didn't see us playing as many elite pass rushers as we do this year. Hopefully, the Matt that you're referring to comes out and starts playing this week... not the Matt that I'm referring to.

Fine. If you only want to talk sacks allowed, we can go back to 2008. Here is the total list or sacks allowed left tackles in the NFL:

...ranked #23 despite having a mobile quarterback that was able to evade pass rushers. Not really what I would call solid or reliable. Keep in mind that was also against a cupcake schedule that didn't see us playing as many elite pass rushers as we do this year. Hopefully, the Matt that you're referring to comes out and starts playing this week... not the Matt that I'm referring to.

Well, if you want to defend the preconceived notion that started a 'debuke ny preconceived notion' thread, why am I responding??????????
Is it realistic to base your judgement on the season we started a QB who hadn't started a game since HS, who took almost twice as many (47 to 25) sacks as TB took over the last FOUR years (long enough to show a trend) as the judgment of the LT?
If you look back, you will probably see a trend of Light allowing somewhere near the 16% of the teams sacks that he allowed in 08, which would total about 3-4 a year, which would put him in the top portion of your list.
I just think you have decided the answer before asking the questiion, so my responses seem pointless.
Did you realize when you saidthat he has struggled against Freeney that he has stoned him 4 straight games and that the last sack he allowed to Freeney was in 2004? Doesnt that change your answer?
Or that since 2004 he has allowed 7.5 sacks in 13 games to these 'elite' pass rushers, 1.5 below their average?
I guess you can come up with a lot of questions that are unanswerable to stick to your preconceived answer, but you were the one who asked for someone to dispute it, and all of the numbers that are available do dispute it.

I don't have anything constructive to add, but I can't believe the greatest OT in Patriot history wasted his career protecting the likes of Eason, Flutie, Hodson, and Millen...and Brady gets a Visa protection metaphor.
I guess Bruce Armstrong did cover Bledsoe's blind side for a few years...

Last edited:
I can't believe people are coming to this guy's defense. He literally stands there slack jawed whilst his QB is being pounded into the dirt. At times, (Not all the time), he is little more than a human turnstile.

In 2008 we were playing with Cassel and not Brady so there was a big adjustment, and Cassel contributed a lot to this by holding on to the ball for too long. The schemes the Pats were running at the time were a lot better suited for Brady and his quick release. Not only until a few games in did they start tinkering to accommodate Cassel.

What are the 2007 numbers? That would be a better comparison to now than 2008, because that was a transition year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back