PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain the Elisha Manning hype to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eli is elite. The hype is there because he is playing as well or better than anyone the last 5 weeks. His one weakness is that he puts too many balls up for grabs, but he also makes a lot of positive plays when he does that.

Eli is elite. The hype is there because he is playing as well or better than anyone the last 5 weeks. His one weakness is that he puts too many balls up for grabs, but he also makes a lot of positive plays when he does that.

He trusts his receivers. At a certain point, it's not the "luck" that some are portraying. It's his style of play, and also the reason he gets more INT's.

He's a chucker, and I'm sure most Giants fans prefer it that way these days (in the early years, not so much).

I still don't like "Elisha," Armchair, because you used it in an attempt to degrade the man you were talking about. Totally unnecessary. You want to offer an opinion of his skills based on what's happened on the field, fine.

Today I learned that Eli and Archie's names are both actually Elisha. This was both informative in it's own right, and will probably win me a bar bet in NY or NO at some point. Information for it's own sake, and also for future free beers = worth the mild disrespect.

I think if you look through the responses in this and other threads you'll find the vast majority are giving Eli his due. There is a question whether some/many in the media are going just a bit overboard with their accolades.

You label others as being "incredibly ignorant" but you may want to take a look in the mirror. No, the NFL competition committee did not call a timeout and put that rule in place in the 4th quarter of that game. It had been in place well prior to that, and had been called in multiple game before (including once against the Pats earlier in the season, which is why both Pats fans and Belichick were confident the call would be made), and since. In fact the rules committee reviewed it after that season and decided to keep it in place. The only thing the refs missed on that play was what should have been a 15-yard penalty for a blow to the QB's head.

Then why did you bring this up? And what in the world does it have to do with luck?

So winning five fewer games than the previous season despite going from an incredibly difficult schedule in '07 to and incredibly easy schedule the following year (played two weakest divisions, AFCW and NFCW) 'proves' Brady is no good? Perhaps what it proves is that Belichick is so very detail oriented that he (unlike the Colts, for example) is prepared for almost every possible scenario - and had a backup prepared and ready to go if need be.

Yes I did. He's tough as nails.

Most here are. Please don't paint an entire fan base with a broad brush based on what one or two say. I'm sure if I ventured onto a Giants fan forum there would be a few overly homer pro-Giant, anti-Pats remarks there too; would you not agree?

Well said.

You missed the part where the Giants mann or what ever his name is stated the Pats won the division under Cassell. Which is incorrect, the Pats lost the division and missed the play-offs.

Otherwise your post is spot on

Please educate yourself before making stupid posts on our board. Please return to the swamps of Jersey.

Eli's QBR vs. 49ers: Why so low? - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

Eli Manning’s QBR in the game was 30.9, which was his fifth-worst of the season. He barely outplayed Alex Smith, who finished the game with a similarly subpar QBR of 30.5. The Total QBR scale goes from 0-100, with a 50 being an average performance.

lol, not from Jersey. Are you from Boston? or Rhode Island? Or Maine? Or Vermont?

QBR, another fabricated ESPN statistic to measure how big a QBs... game is. You know whats funny, is even the guys on ESPN were quick to point out that the QBR rating and regular rating dont mean much after watching that game. Trent Dilfer actually said that what Eli did in that game was have one of the best QB performance he ever saw in the playoffs. Yup, those were his words. He said that is why you cant just look at the QBR crap. The 49ers defense was amazing and Eli still had a great game. The main reason why his ranking was low, was because he threw too many passes. Thats dumb.

I am well educated and try not to let my bias interfere.

This should be a good rematch, but IMO, the 2007 Patriots were way better of a team, while the 2011 Giants offense is much improved.
When we played in the regular season, we didnt have Bradshaw, Nicks or Osi. Tuck was on one leg as well.

Wow, you guys are incredibly ignorant.

Lets see Eli is lucky yet, the only reason you are in this superbowl is because the Ravens dropped a TD then shanked a 31 yard FG. How good was Brady in that game? 230 yards, Zero TDs and 2 INTs? Eli had 315 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs vs the leagues best defense.

Lets not even talk about the tuck rule which was a rule made just for Tom Brady to win his first championship... Luckiest call ever in sports history.

Lets not even bring up spygate...

Brady is obviously a great QB and a future HOFer, but what bothers me is how easy Matt Cassell did the same thing the year Brady was out. Cassell sucks, and still got the Pats to 11-5 and a division title. Without Eli, the Giants are absolutely nothing.

Did you watch Eli get pulverized vs that 49er D and just bounce right back up play after play?

Give Eli is credit guys. I know you guys are smart dedicated sports fans. Believe it or not, Boston and NY are very much the same in that area for many sports.

Eli is still making his resume while Brady is trying to complete it.

The same goes for the Giants. They only got in because of dumb bone head moves by the 49ers special teams, are you kidding me? Every QB has a bad game once or twice, Brady had one against a defense that makes any QB look bad for the most part.

The Giants got swept by the Redskins.... the Redskins....... the... Redskins..... but he's still a good QB so don't even go there with Brady's bad game.

Last edited:
The same goes for the Giants. They only got in because of dumb bone head moves by the 49ers special teams, are you kidding me? Every QB has a bad game once or twice, Brady had one against a defense that makes any QB look bad for the most part.

The Giants got swept by the Redskins.... the Redskins....... the... Redskins..... but he's still a good QB so don't even go there with Brady's bad game.

I agree with everything you said. I was responding to the thread saying Eli was lucky. Obviously, every team needs a little luck. Its part of the game.

Giants got swept by the skins, but went 4-0 vs the AFC East this year.

This should be a good rematch, but IMO, the 2007 Patriots were way better of a team, while the 2011 Giants offense is much improved.

Agreed on your second point. Your first point is understandable, as you are viewing the two from a distance, but wrong. In 2007, once teams figured out to double Moss and pound Welker the Pats couldn't go anywhere else with the ball and couldn't run the ball either. This team is much more versatile on offense and harder to consistently stop. Also, the 2007 patriots defense, while crafty, seriously lacked for speed, which is not a problem now. The 2007 patriots secondary was of course better, but I'm not sure how much better overall the defense was, if at all.

Except what you are saying is true, what he's saying is false.

The "dropped pass" was actually a perfect example of a "batted ball" or "forced incompletion" which saved the touchdown, and those actually requires that you have a good defense and your defensive player makes a play. The missed FG, would have only tied the game.

The whistle blown to stop forward progress resulted in a non-call on the fumble, collisions in the air by the 49ers defenders resulted in missing two likely interceptions, and the ball touching the knee of the 49ers punt returner resulted in a fluke turnover. Those actually really were stupid mistakes by the 49ers.

Last edited:
lol, not from Jersey. Are you from Boston? or Rhode Island? Or Maine? Or Vermont?

When we played in the regular season, we didnt have Bradshaw, Nicks or Osi. Tuck was on one leg as well.

Speaking of Bradshaw...

Harbaugh: Bradshaw non-fumble like tuck rule - CBSSports.com

In all seriousness, Eli has a great matchup against arguably the worst pass defense in the NFL (depends on what measurement you prefer, yards or points.) If Eli throws for 350 and 2TDs and wins he'll surpass Peyton, Rodgers and Brees with two SB rings. His name will be changed to ELI-te.You must be giddy. (well unless Eli pukes on himself like his brother, figuratively, or McNabb, literally)

Wow, you guys are incredibly ignorant.

Lets see Eli is lucky yet, the only reason you are in this superbowl is because the Ravens dropped a TD then shanked a 31 yard FG. How good was Brady in that game? 230 yards, Zero TDs and 2 INTs? Eli had 315 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs vs the leagues best defense.

Lets not even talk about the tuck rule which was a rule made just for Tom Brady to win his first championship... Luckiest call ever in sports history.

Lets not even bring up spygate...

Brady is obviously a great QB and a future HOFer, but what bothers me is how easy Matt Cassell did the same thing the year Brady was out. Cassell sucks, and still got the Pats to 11-5 and a division title. Without Eli, the Giants are absolutely nothing.

Did you watch Eli get pulverized vs that 49er D and just bounce right back up play after play?

Give Eli is credit guys. I know you guys are smart dedicated sports fans. Believe it or not, Boston and NY are very much the same in that area for many sports.

Eli is still making his resume while Brady is trying to complete it.

Tom - 6 AFCCG's, 5 SB appearances, 3SB wins. NFL record holder of 50 TD passes in 1 season

Elisha - 2 NFCCG's, 2 SB appeanrances, 1SB win (you want to talk lucky...then ok win with a desparation helmet catch)

Now I understand the schooling in NY is trash, but I would think a grown NYGiantworld clown can do the math up there who is ELITE

Talk to me When Elisha has appeared in 5SB's in 11 years or even equaled winning 3 SB todate !

Thank you and have a wonderful day, ignorant bafoon

Except what you are saying is true, what he's saying is false.

The "dropped pass" was actually a perfect example of a "batted ball" or "forced incompletion" which saved the touchdown, and those actually requires that you have a good defense and your defensive player makes a play. The missed FG, would have only tied the game.

The whistle blown to stop forward progress resulted in a non-call on the fumble, collisions in the air by the 49ers defenders resulted in missing two likely interceptions, and the ball touching the knee of the 49ers punt returner resulted in a fluke turnover. Those actually really were stupid mistakes by the 49ers.

And the forced fumble by Jaquian Williams to set up the game winning FG wasnt??? Cant have it both ways Pats fans.

Eli is the anti-Peyton. When Peyton was putting up huge reg season numbers but losing every year in the playoffs he was bashed.

Eli also doesn't have the luxury of playing in a dome like Peyton or Brees where the conditions are perfect. Look at what happens to Brees on the road.

Which just underscores who the GOAT is... Rogers has a shot to compete, but like Eli he got off to a slow start (although much of that wasn't of his doing) and has now become one and done. Brady was a HOF lock 4 years into his career. Nobody wins 'em all but Brady rebounded pretty damn close to doing that 7 years in. Now a decade in counting one missed season due to catestrophic injury, he has rebounded on a team in transition to the tune of a unanimous league MVP season followed up by a 5th friggin' superbowl appearance in a decade...

Media lives to hype. Lots of QB's are elite one year and crap the next. That's because they aren't actually, you know, elite. Elite is about a number of things including winning, statistical performance, and the most overlooked accomplishment of all...consistency.

Eli is like the Forrest Gump of QB's, the proverbial box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get until a season is in the books. He can both drag an otherwise poised for dominance team down or inexplicable carry a struggling team on his back. Ergo the truth about who he is lies somewhere in between. As does Romo. Coming out of college he was actually hyped as the better Manning QB. Only even after their daddy picked the spot where he believed he would be best positioned to succeed, as opposed to Peyton who was asked to engineer a total turnaround - Eli floundered while Peyton basically led a one man band who while they may not have won it all dominated on the way to being perennial conference contenders.

Eli is improving as he enters his 30's - he almost had to and if he hadn't he'd have been jettisoned along his HC but for that ring in hand, and his remaining shortcomings are less noticable down the stretch because he kept them in striking distance in the NFCE (which is becoming akin to competing in the AFCW) and the Giants managed to rally as a team heading into the playoffs. Again, a lot like Forrest Gump's story... Hey, not the guy you'd have picked to succceed based on lifelong observation, but one you might decide to bet on going forward simply given the alternatives and where they have landed and where he is now heading. He's gone farther than expected while clearly elite performers went home emptyhanded. Typically shortsighted what have you done lately media's immediate kneejerk inclination is to reassess or reconfigure the definition of elite.

Carson Palmer, Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner, Romo, Sanchez...there is just a littany of QB's and for that matter players in this league who are elite, bums, jags, elite, clutch, chokers, at one point if not off and on over the course of their careers based on both erratic performance and media spin. Eli is just the lastest and it remains to be seen who and what he ultimately is. My guess would be he remains near the top of that maddening heap, right behind Roethlisberger and just ahead of Flacco and the rest of the wannabes.

And the forced fumble by Jaquian Williams to set up the game winning FG wasnt??? Cant have it both ways Pats fans.

The missed FG was lucky, it would have tied the game. It was no more lucky than the ball-off-the-knee play or the premature whistle play though.

PS. Giants fans Hate their Coach. Sure you're all backtracking now but you guys were dying to have that guy fired. Smarten up.

I haven't read through this whole thread, because honestly, from what I've read, most of it is silly. To say that Eli Manning is not elite, is a complete joke. What he did in 2007, and the 2008 SB proved he was an elite player. What he did that year, in the playoffs, on the road, against, at that time, better teams and QBs (Dallas & Romo won the division, Favre and the Packers had the best record in the NFC and Favre finsihed 2nd in the MVP I believe, and then Brady and the Pats....) was possibly one of the greatest playoff accomplishments I've ever seen, unfortunately coming against my favorte team in the SB.

This year, he is just a stone cold killer, especially in the 4th quarter. And to take that beating he took against the 49er's and and still be able to win, amazing. I hate the Giants and pray the Pats crush them. But to say Eli Manning is not elite, is just complete ignorance and homerism. He's proven himself on the biggest stage, he's come up big time and time again. And I hate it, I hate the Mannings. What he's done this year may even be more astounding, especially if he finishes off on top (God forbid).

Tom - 6 AFCCG's, 5 SB appearances, 3SB wins. NFL record holder of 50 TD passes in 1 season

Elisha - 2 NFCCG's, 2 SB appeanrances, 1SB win (you want to talk lucky...then ok win with a desparation helmet catch)

Now I understand the schooling in NY is trash, but I would think a grown NYGiantworld clown can do the math up there who is ELITE

Talk to me When Elisha has appeared in 5SB's in 11 years or even equaled winning 3 SB todate !

Thank you and have a wonderful day, ignorant bafoon

That's in 10 years as a starter vs. Eli is already at 8 so it's not going to happen...

That's in 10 years as a starter vs. Eli is already at 8 so it's not going to happen...

Mo

Yes, 11 total of which 1 full prime season, 2008, was lost for Brady due to illegal hit is that ****bag Pollard. So, 10 is accurate.

Who knows, he could've been on a mission that year after the bitter taste of defeat, and team was quite strong to compete from another title considering with Casell we won 11 games.

So, yes, good point, Brady has had only 10 full played seasons.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is really arguing that Eli is as good as TB or will ever be, or that he'll be ranked near or higher than TB when all is said & done. But I might have missed a post or 2.

Sure. Easily.

In 2007, he led his team to three consecutive road playoff wins and then went into the Super Bowl a 14 point dog and beat a team and a QB that would have been called the GOATs had they won that game.

People dismissed him as a one time wonder, until this season he led his team back to the SB with five consecutive "win or die" victories against the Jets, Cowboys, Packers and 49ers, the last two of which were also on the road.

He's played the Pats three times since 2007 and come out ahead by one game against arguably the best team of this decade and certainly the best team of the preceding decade.

He's tough like his brother isn't and he's never blamed a loss on a "protection problem" by his line. He's a stand up guy who consistently earns the respect of those who meet him and know him.

To paraphrase the old saying, "I wouldn't kick him out of my locker room."

That said. Is he as good as Brady? No, he doesn't deserve that to be said of him at this point.

But if he gets his second ring and goes up 3--1 in head to head matchups, you probably shouldn't access the media online, on TV or in the papers very much for a few weeks. We can yell all we want about five SB trips in 11 seasons, but people will say that Eli deserves to be considered in the same league.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye