PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can someone explain the Elisha Manning hype to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very simple why this man is a elite QB its how he performs in the playoffs when it matters. I dont care about reg season right now he is playing better then any qb right now. 8 TD to 1 int these playoffs he is carrying that team.

You can't be serious with Romo and Stafford in there. Romo makes so many boneheaded decisions in pressure situations
Romo had a 104.4 QB rating and 10/2 TD/INT in the 4th qtr. this year. We all pay attention when he chokes but he's a good 4th qtr QB. Manning had a 110 rating in the 4th with 15/6 TD/INT. Similar numbers yet Manning is a great clutch QB and Romo is a boneheaded choker.

I find this thread embarrassing. A site that can be HONEST about an opponent -- even a Manning -- and acknowledge that Eli has taken an enormous step forward this season is the kind of site Ian started. This is so disappointing to read. Just homeristic and unreasonably negative. This isn't jetsinsider, people.
It's not homeristic to look at team that barely made the playoffs, looked like they were out of it in the beginning of the year. Has a QB with mediocre stats. Yes his December and January run have been great. I'll give him that. But consistently playing well has not been one of Eli's strong suits. You say an enormous step forward. I've seen this late run before. 2007 I think? What's he done since then. Oh, he showed up in late 20011. And really do you feel he is in the same class of QB's as Brady, Rogers, Brees and P. Manning? I sure don't. I think he is better than most others, but again looking at the field of QB's out there, what's that really saying.

Romo had a 104.4 QB rating and 10/2 TD/INT in the 4th qtr. this year. We all pay attention when he chokes but he's a good 4th qtr QB. Manning had a 110 rating in the 4th with 15/6 TD/INT. Similar numbers yet Manning is a great clutch QB and Romo is a boneheaded choker.

In a close game in the 4th quarter, who would you rather have Romo or Eli?

In a close game in the 4th quarter, who would you rather have Romo or Eli?
I could go either way. They're both well above average QB, nestled solidly in the non stud category.

I would call his game against the 49ersas incredibly lucky, did his best to give that game away too.

Wow, you guys are incredibly ignorant.

Lets see Eli is lucky yet, the only reason you are in this superbowl is because the Ravens dropped a TD then shanked a 31 yard FG. How good was Brady in that game? 230 yards, Zero TDs and 2 INTs? Eli had 315 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs vs the leagues best defense.

Lets not even talk about the tuck rule which was a rule made just for Tom Brady to win his first championship... Luckiest call ever in sports history.

Lets not even bring up spygate...

Brady is obviously a great QB and a future HOFer, but what bothers me is how easy Matt Cassell did the same thing the year Brady was out. Cassell sucks, and still got the Pats to 11-5 and a division title. Without Eli, the Giants are absolutely nothing.

Did you watch Eli get pulverized vs that 49er D and just bounce right back up play after play?

Give Eli is credit guys. I know you guys are smart dedicated sports fans. Believe it or not, Boston and NY are very much the same in that area for many sports.

Eli is still making his resume while Brady is trying to complete it.

Last edited:
I could go either way. They're both well above average QB, nestled solidly in the non stud category.

LOL. If both are non stud category, then why did you list Romo in your elite lists?

Sorry you didn't like the numbers.

Less than 2/1 INT/TD on the season and 1.4/1 in the second half is what it is. He had a good season and a great post season so far. That doesn't make him a top five QB.

Eli is the anti-Peyton. When Peyton was putting up huge reg season numbers but losing every year in the playoffs he was bashed.

Eli also doesn't have the luxury of playing in a dome like Peyton or Brees where the conditions are perfect. Look at what happens to Brees on the road.

Eli throws balls up for grabs and has receivers come down with them like no one I can remember seeing. He routinely throws into double coverage and his "clutch" throws could very well be considered lucky (or great) catches.

I still don't like "Elisha," Armchair, because you used it in an attempt to degrade the man you were talking about. Totally unnecessary. You want to offer an opinion of his skills based on what's happened on the field, fine.

LOL. If both are non stud category, then why did you list Romo in your elite lists?
I didn't. Try reading. That was a Top Five list. There are three elite QB, you know who they are. The rest begin with Romo and Eli isn't too far down that list.

9-7 record, tough schedule, blah, blah, blah. Nothing elite about a 9-7 record.
Same QB who threw 25 pics to Brady's 4 in 2010. Same QB who has 55 less wins and 15 more losses than Brady. Same QB whose only playoffs wins came in 2007 prior to this year. Even in 07 SB he did his best to throw away the game but the Pats secondary wanted the loss more. Insulting to Brady to even mention them in the same breath.

All that moronic Tebow hype has moved on to Elisha.

And Elisha is his real name just like his pappy, Elisha Archie.

932c4c13f35ee0eb3242e5be5414a809.jpg

Stats mean nothing. Watch him play. He's been amazing. His team was decimated by injury in camp, and his other players were in and out of the lineup do to injury, with regularity. Yet, he threw for roughly 5000 yards, and lead his team to 5 straight lose or go home game wins. Three of those wins were in the playoffs, two were lopsided wins, and 1 was against the #1 Seed @ GB, and the #2 Seed @ SF. I'm pretty sure they had a 9 and 7 or 10 and 6 record in the 2007 - 2008 season when his team won in the Super Bowl over our undefeated team, so that little stat of your means ZERO!

Lets see Eli is lucky yet, the only reason you are in this superbowl is because the Ravens dropped a TD then shanked a 31 yard FG. How good was Brady in that game? 230 yards, Zero TDs and 2 INTs? Eli had 315 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs vs the leagues best defense.

Lets not even talk about the tuck rule which was a rule made just for Tom Brady to win his first championship... Luckiest call ever in sports history.

Brady is obviously a great QB and a future HOFer, but what bothers me is how easy Matt Cassell did the same thing the year Brady was out. Cassell sucks, and still got the Pats to 11-5 and a division title. Without Eli, the Giants are absolutely nothing.

Did you watch Eli get pulverized vs that 49er D and just bounce right back up play after play?

Give Eli is credit guys. I know you guys are smart dedicated sports fans. Believe it or not, Boston and NY are very much the same in that area for many sports.

Please educate yourself before making stupid posts on our board. Please return to the swamps of Jersey.

Eli's QBR vs. 49ers: Why so low? - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

Eli Manning’s QBR in the game was 30.9, which was his fifth-worst of the season. He barely outplayed Alex Smith, who finished the game with a similarly subpar QBR of 30.5. The Total QBR scale goes from 0-100, with a 50 being an average performance.

Last edited:
Like I said,Eli and Roethlisberger are similar........IMO if for one minute you can't admit on the outside that you think a QB like Eli is an extremely talented QB then I bet you the farm that inside you worry when you face a QB of this nature.

If for one minute deep inside you worry about the opposing QB and what they can do to this defense then you have already admitted you are lying on the outside.

There is about 25 starting QBs in the league I think are not worthy of scaring me inside or outside of my being that they can take over a game when it's on the line.....Eli is not on that list because he is a top flight QB and those that think he is mediocre and average are simply kidding themselves.

Is Eli at the Level of the top 4 QBs?....not yet, but give him a few more years with WRs like Cruz and Nicks and he very well may be on his way.

Last edited:
Eli is the anti-Peyton. When Peyton was putting up huge reg season numbers but losing every year in the playoffs he was bashed.

Eli also doesn't have the luxury of playing in a dome like Peyton or Brees where the conditions are perfect. Look at what happens to Brees on the road.
Eli is a good QB and he has had a great post season. Good for him. 14 TD / 10 INT in the second half of the season is what it is. Hopefully we get that one because it's no more than a good QB. If we get the postseason one that will be more difficult.

Can't be an elite quarterback without an elite team. Quarterbacks can't make their team go 9-7 or 15-3 by themselves....well unless you're Tim Tebow;)

For the rest you need an entire team. There are elite quarterbacks in the NFL that never get the label because of the team they are on. The stats quarterbacks are graded on have less than 50% to do with their own abilities or play.

A QB's winning record = QB + team + schedule
NFL Passer Rating = QB + Offensive line + blockers + receivers + schedule
Everything else a quarterback needs = no rating available

A quarterback's numbers, unlike some other positions like defensive players, receivers, running backs are much more dependent on just about everybody else on their team. In addition to that, even the numbers we have devised only grade one aspect of his job.

We know Tom's an elite quarterback because the Patriots also happen to be an elite football team with an elite coach part of an elite organization. Tom Brady is in a situation where we can easily recognize him as elite because his does his part at an elite level in order to complete the package.

But there are other quarterbacks who are not in those situations, and just because they are not, it doesn't necessarily mean they are not elite. Eli Manning is likely one of those.

Remember when Matt Cassel played in 2008? Well the difference between a good quarterback and an elite quarterback really is that small. It's that extra 5% most NFL QB's are missing that requires double the work to obtain so you can set yourself apart. Most guys don't want to put in the work for a 5% edge. Tom Brady and Bill Bellichick are one of the few obsessed men in the NFL that will spend away nights trying to attain that extra 5%. And then it's doing it over and over and over.

But he might go completely unnoticed if Tom was on the wrong team. Just like the Patriots and Brady didn't make it to 5 Super Bowls by luck, Eli Manning doesn't hit those "hail mary" passes by pure luck either to find himself in 2 Super Bowls. Those are practiced, difficult, worked on, designed plays that he's been making in order for him to make it this far. Not many quarterbacks ever make it to 2 Super Bowls in their life time. But the only way to really ever get recognized as elite is to find yourself in these situations to be able to display your skills on the greatest stage of all.

Last edited:
I still don't like "Elisha," Armchair, because you used it in an attempt to degrade the man you were talking about. Totally unnecessary. You want to offer an opinion of his skills based on what's happened on the field, fine.

Try not taking things so seriously.

I think if you look through the responses in this and other threads you'll find the vast majority are giving Eli his due. There is a question whether some/many in the media are going just a bit overboard with their accolades.

You label others as being "incredibly ignorant" but you may want to take a look in the mirror. No, the NFL competition committee did not call a timeout and put that rule in place in the 4th quarter of that game. It had been in place well prior to that, and had been called in multiple game before (including once against the Pats earlier in the season, which is why both Pats fans and Belichick were confident the call would be made), and since. In fact the rules committee reviewed it after that season and decided to keep it in place. The only thing the refs missed on that play was what should have been a 15-yard penalty for a blow to the QB's head.

Then why did you bring this up? And what in the world does it have to do with luck?

So winning five fewer games than the previous season despite going from an incredibly difficult schedule in '07 to and incredibly easy schedule the following year (played two weakest divisions, AFCW and NFCW) 'proves' Brady is no good? Perhaps what it proves is that Belichick is so very detail oriented that he (unlike the Colts, for example) is prepared for almost every possible scenario - and had a backup prepared and ready to go if need be.

Yes I did. He's tough as nails.

Most here are. Please don't paint an entire fan base with a broad brush based on what one or two say. I'm sure if I ventured onto a Giants fan forum there would be a few overly homer pro-Giant, anti-Pats remarks there too; would you not agree?

Well said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back