PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can find a real WR in the draft??

Status
Not open for further replies.
trade sanders..Move up in the draft and get the best and most economical ($$) DE and OLB in the draft...If we can get them in the top-10/15 we should do it. How can Banta-Cain be our best Pass Rusher and Green is not coming back..
We have Tate, Edelman and possibly Nunn to look at..

The fact that Stanback was activated over Nunn tells me that Nunn isn't making headway that the Pats would like..

Where do you get that Green isn't coming back?

I have no ******* clue why we let Big Heath go.

Because he wasn't that good of a blocker and his salary would have had to have been over $1 mill a year.

Belichick apparently wanted to take a shot on a WR for the future eventually to replace Moss or Welker. Tate was drafted. That was fine with me, although I too liked Wallace.

Belichick figured to fill the #3 and #4 WR positions this year with Lewis, Aiken and perhaps a free agent (Galloway ended up being the free agent choice). He also figured to pick up a late rounder and/or an UDFA. He ended up with Edelman and Nunn. Edleman ended up beating out Lewis for a roster spot and was good enough that the hopeless Galloway was cut.

When Edelman went down, a WR was added to the Practice Squad and Stanback is now on the 53.

We've had injuries to Welker, Edelman and Moss so far this year. Are we really having problems with our PASSING game? I think that Belichick's choices and strategy have worked out fine.

Personally, I'm fine with Moss, Welker, Edelman, Aiken and Stanback. How many teams have better, especially noting that we also have Watson, Faulk and Baker as receivers?

I think Tate will be great for us in the long run, and I'm not unhappy with the pick.

But the guy I was hyping all last offseason as a 3rd-4th round WR was Mike Wallace, who Pittsburgh took #84 one pick after Tate. Through 9 gaves he has 26 receptions for 454 yards (17.4 average), and has been huge for Pittsburgh in the clutch. It would have been great to have that kind of 3rd WR option this year.

Vrabel, Phifer, Bruschi, McGinest, Johnson etc. What do these guys have in common? They could get to the freaking QB.

My key areas of importance

1. A frigging pass rushing beast.
2. A proper feature back.
3. A wideout.

The Pats are going to draft the most well rounded DE/OLB. They have proven that they aren't going to sacrifice their standards.

Why do the Pats need ANOTHER wideout?

As for a "proper feature back," no, they don't need a "proper" one. In fact, Belichick has always used multiple running backs on his teams. Even during his Cleveland days.

What they NEED is a North/South runner who can get the short yardage and rotate in with Maroney while staying healthy. They also need consistent run blocking from their O-line. Look at last night. By the 4th quarter, the O-line couldn't open a hole for either Maroney or Faulk.. And BB came out recently and said they need to do a better job of opening holes..

The Pats, going forward, need to add a RB because of the ages of Morris, Taylor and Faulk. They also need to add a DE/OLB who can ADD to the pass rush. Even when they had McGinest and Vrabel, the Pats were MOST successful when they could bring pressure from any of the 4 LB positions. In the 4-3, the pressure has to come from a DT and a DE with a LOT of Blitzing of the LBers. But Blitzing gives the Offense an advantage because you take away from the pass coverage.

The Pats are going to draft the most well rounded DE/OLB. They have proven that they aren't going to sacrifice their standards.

Why do the Pats need ANOTHER wideout?

As for a "proper feature back," no, they don't need a "proper" one. In fact, Belichick has always used multiple running backs on his teams. Even during his Cleveland days.

What they NEED is a North/South runner who can get the short yardage and rotate in with Maroney while staying healthy. They also need consistent run blocking from their O-line. Look at last night. By the 4th quarter, the O-line couldn't open a hole for either Maroney or Faulk.. And BB came out recently and said they need to do a better job of opening holes..

The Pats, going forward, need to add a RB because of the ages of Morris, Taylor and Faulk. They also need to add a DE/OLB who can ADD to the pass rush. Even when they had McGinest and Vrabel, the Pats were MOST successful when they could bring pressure from any of the 4 LB positions. In the 4-3, the pressure has to come from a DT and a DE with a LOT of Blitzing of the LBers. But Blitzing gives the Offense an advantage because you take away from the pass coverage.
Who was the feature back in our last successful Superbowl run, capable of running downhill and sustaining drives as you have pointed out? I'm pretty sure I'd classify Corey Dillon as a power running feature back. Taylor is injured, Morris is injured. Running back by committee or not these players are old.

Why do the Pats need another wideout? Because Randy Moss isn't going to be around forever and we need another big play downfield threat? Tate may be that, but atm, he's injury prone.

As for the pass rush, I agree with you, but we need an impact DE/OLB, which will invariably have a rollover affect on the rest of the d-line and linebackers. In the glory years, we could bring the pressure from everywhere as you stated. We can't do that at the moment owing to personnel, the defensive scheme or quite possibly both.

Last edited:
The offense scores over 30 points. We have the top WR combo in the league.

Clearly the fact that Bethel Johnson and Chad Jackson didn't pan out is the REAL problem with this team.

*coughs nervously while Dean Pees hands him a sack with a $ on it*

i prefer to hold off on WR next April for more pressing needs. Besides the guy i want at WR (my binkie) cant come out until 2011 and that is Michael Floyd, sophomore out of Notre Dame. Big frame, explosive, i think he can be that David Givens possession type wideout with his size but with the athletic ability to really stretch the field.

i prefer to hold off on WR next April for more pressing needs. Besides the guy i want at WR (my binkie) cant come out until 2011 and that is Michael Floyd, sophomore out of Notre Dame. Big frame, explosive, i think he can be that David Givens possession type wideout with his size but with the athletic ability to really stretch the field.

2011 could be the best WR class ever:

- AJ Green, Georgia, 6'4", 210#. Tremendous hands, makes plays all over the field. Not blazing fast but fast enough. A bigger, faster Larry Fitzgerald, or a slightly slower Calvin Johnson.

- Julio Jones, Alabama, 6'4", 212#. Very fast game breaker. Reminiscent of Randy Moss, though not quite as fast.

- Michael Floyd, Notre Dame, 6'3", 220#. Tremendous strong, makes catches over the middle, but with the ability to take it to the house. Reminds me of Andre Johnson.

- DeAndre Brown, Southern Mississippi, 6'6", 230#. A huge WR in the Plaxico Burress mold.

That's a pretty impressive group. All 4 are better than anyone coming out this year, and are arguably better than any WR to come out since Calvin Johnson.

And guess what, assuming the raiders are terrible next year (which definitely isnt out of the question) we could be in position to take any one of these guys.

will with wilfork Stephen Gostkowski and half of the OL being FA next year i dont think WR should be that high on the list of need's next year

2011 could be the best WR class ever:

- AJ Green, Georgia, 6'4", 210#. Tremendous hands, makes plays all over the field. Not blazing fast but fast enough. A bigger, faster Larry Fitzgerald, or a slightly slower Calvin Johnson.

- Julio Jones, Alabama, 6'4", 212#. Very fast game breaker. Reminiscent of Randy Moss, though not quite as fast.

- Michael Floyd, Notre Dame, 6'3", 220#. Tremendous strong, makes catches over the middle, but with the ability to take it to the house. Reminds me of Andre Johnson.

- DeAndre Brown, Southern Mississippi, 6'6", 230#. A huge WR in the Plaxico Burress mold.

That's a pretty impressive group. All 4 are better than anyone coming out this year, and are arguably better than any WR to come out since Calvin Johnson.

Another guy who will be eligible in 2011 is 6'5" 225# Pittsburgh WR Jonathan Baldwin. Scouts.inc had this to say about Baldwin: "Scouts Inc. was in attendance for Pittsburgh's 27-22 win over Notre Dame, which served as a national coming-out party for Panthers sophomore WR Jonathan Baldwin and served notice that Baldwin could be the No. 1 wide receiver prospect for the 2011 draft, in a class that could potentially include the likes of Julio Jones, A.J. Green and Michael Floyd. Baldwin caught five passes for 142 yards and a touchdown against the Fighting Irish, and it was the touchdown catch that showed exactly why scouts and NFL front offices are in love with his skill set. Pittsburgh QB Bill Stull laid a deep ball out toward the right pylon and Baldwin did a great job running the ball down, tracking it over his right shoulder before extending fully and making the grab with both hands. The press box was buzzing after the catch as talent evaluators marveled at Baldwin's athleticism and body control. He also showed the ability to high-point the ball over defenders and pick up yards after making the catch, and he uses his size well when shielding the ball from defenders and absorbing hits when going over the middle. Baldwin demands safety help because it's just not fair to ask any cornerback to handle him one-on-one. ...Baldwin is a physical freak, a long strider with deceptive top-end speed, and he reminds us of a somewhat lankier version of former No. 2 overall pick Calvin Johnson. It won't surprise us a bit if Baldwin sits atop many boards heading into the 2011 draft."

NFL Draft Blog - ESPN

And guess what, assuming the raiders are terrible next year (which definitely isnt out of the question) we could be in position to take any one of these guys.

I sincerely doubt BB drafts a wide receiver in the top 10. Not unless Moss decides to retire in 2011.

A pass rushing stud would be the best choice. Assuming we haven't addressed that issue in the 2010 draft.

I sincerely doubt BB drafts a wide receiver in the top 10. Not unless Moss decides to retire in 2011.

A pass rushing stud would be the best choice. Assuming we haven't addressed that issue in the 2010 draft.

Seeing us trade for burgess and attempt to land Jason Taylor this past offseason, i see the pash rush being addressed either via draft or free agency or possibly both next year.

Watching the few routes of Stanback to me shows that he is not that fast and i really think we need another deep threat besides moss. I think Tate may fill that role but i would really like for us to draft a real deep threat in the 1st or second round. Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, etc. Just please not Julio Jones(not really sure what year he is eligible for). Am I the only person out there that finds Julio Jones extremely overated?

Watching the few routes of Stanback to me shows that he is not that fast and i really think we need another deep threat besides moss. I think Tate may fill that role but i would really like for us to draft a real deep threat in the 1st or second round. Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, etc. Just please not Julio Jones(not really sure what year he is eligible for). Am I the only person out there that finds Julio Jones extremely overated?

Looking at some film of Jonathan Baldwin, he reminds me more of Randy Moss than any receiver I have seen come out since Moss. 6'5" long stridor who runs by people effortlessly. Former basketball player who loves to go vertical and outleap defenders. Wiry guy who is very strong, with big hands, who takes the ball away from defenders. Tough kid who is not at all afraid to go over the middle as well as go long.

Brady to Moss is phenomenal. Imagine if we had 2 guys like that. It would be unstoppable.

Looking at some film of Jonathan Baldwin, he reminds me more of Randy Moss than any receiver I have seen come out since Moss. 6'5" long stridor who runs by people effortlessly. Former basketball player who loves to go vertical and outleap defenders. Wiry guy who is very strong, with big hands, who takes the ball away from defenders. Tough kid who is not at all afraid to go over the middle as well as go long.

Brady to Moss is phenomenal. Imagine if we had 2 guys like that. It would be unstoppable.

I couldn't find any clips of him so I am just going to have to take your word on him and will be on the lookout. I tend to agree with most of your posts(your a pat guru). When it comes to the pats its like your always thinking what im thinking.

Also, if you don't mind, can you give a link with some Baldwin highlights. Thank You

Brandon Tate says HI..
AHH Potential. HEADLINE: "Dopehead with bad knee winds up as best possible answer in 2010 for #3 receiver".
Nuts to you sir!
This was a serious question. Chad Jackson says Hi.

DW Toys

I couldn't find any clips of him so I am just going to have to take your word on him and will be on the lookout. I tend to agree with most of your posts(your a pat guru). When it comes to the pats its like your always thinking what im thinking.

Also, if you don't mind, can you give a link with some Baldwin highlights. Thank You

Here's some footage from last week's Pittsburgh-ND game in which Baldwin had 5 catches for 142 yards and outplayed Michael Floyd:

Speed Games: Notre Dame-Pittsburgh - ESPN Video - ESPN

Two plays stand out:

1. At about the 1:20 mark, Baldwin goes over the middle and goes way up into the air to bring down a 22 yard reception. His speed, separation, elevation, and willingness to go over the middle all stand out.

2. On the next play, around the 2:00 mark, Baldwin makes a 36 yard diving TD reception in the end zone which is extremely reminiscent of Randy Moss' one handed TD grab against the Dolphins in week 9.

Here's another clip from Pittsburgh's game against USF last year:

Pittsburgh Upsets No. 10 South Florida, 26-21 - ESPN Video - ESPN

Baldwin makes a 52 yard TD catch starting at 0:14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes